• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Satellite Radio

indawin

I have a 2007 RT with no radio. I'm interested in adding satellite radio, but don't want to go the Zumo 550 route. I have seen a bracket that mounts to either the clutch or brake reservior and accommodates a Delphi Roady, but it appears the Roady is no longer in production. Does anyone have a similar set up?

I have a 2007 RT with no radio. I'm interested in adding satellite radio, but don't want to go the Zumo 550 route. I have seen a bracket that mounts to either the clutch or brake reservior and accommodates a Delphi Roady, but it appears the Roady is no longer in production. Does anyone have a similar set up?

you might try Cycle Gadgets. they seem to have a very good selection of mounts etc. at cyclegadgets.com

I have used a Roady on my bike(s) for a number of years. While they are no longer in production, I purchased a new in the container off of E-Bay about a month or so ago. I used the brackets/mounts you are referring to, that mount on top of the clutch or master cylinder. Very easy install, and you can obtain an antenna with a 12 inch lead instead of the mile long length of wire.

Heidi also had a Roady on her bike until it died about a year ago. She stopped in a Wal-Mart and purchased a Sirus that is now in use on her bikes. She also uses a Delphi once in a while on her bikes.

I now use a 2730 that brings down the gadgets by one when mounting on the bike. Next will be replacing the 2730 with a 478.

bob still

interesting thing about the length of cord. On one long trip I had the antenna attached on a small homemade ledge on the outside of the windshield. I would often loose reception. Following the four wheel application directions, I ran the wire under the tank... seat, etc and remounted the antenna at the rear of the bike and have no issues. odd eh? Secondly, first had a Sirius radio that slid on a small post on the mounting unit. This unit really sucked for reception. Got one that had a plug in on the side and it is excellent. Never lost reception yet. Anyway, love having the satellite radio available. - Bob

I like to deal with "Cyclenutz". I purchased a number of items from them and am very pleased. They have a variety of RAM mounts that attach to the reservoirs.
They are also sponsors (advertisers) in the "ON".

Have been looking into this option as well. Have been thinking a Zumo 550, but also thinking I might do just XM also.
SO.
What my research has found is that the Harley Road Tech XM radio is virtually the ONLY XM radio designed for cycle use. They are not overtly "Harley" emblazoned. Come with a car kit also. Weather and vibration proof (well obviously if it's made for a Harley, right??). Worht checking out. Retail for $250, but you can watch the local Harley delaer sites for sales, very often they have shopping nites for Christmas and can save 20% on any accessory in the place.
Comes with various brackets, mostly handlebar mounts. I wouldn't seat the mounting too much, lots of options out there for that stuff.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309040907&bmUID=1257961000401&bmLocale=en_US

I have a working Roady that you can have if you want it, I transferred the lifetime subscrition to the Zumo 550 currently on my RT. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I thought "lifetime" in XM terms means the life of the UNIT, not the owner?? That's what I read. On the internet. So it HAS to be true.....

Thanks for all of the input and Ken, thanks for the offer. After looking at everything I could find online I think I'll give Cycle Gadgets a call. They seem to have about everything I would need and have specific knowledge about BMW's. After it's installed, I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for all of the input and Ken, thanks for the offer. After looking at everything I could find online I think I'll give Cycle Gadgets a call. They seem to have about everything I would need and have specific knowledge about BMW's. After it's installed, I'll post some pictures.

Good choice, I bought all my J&M bluetooth gear from them and would recommend them to anyone, you won't be disappointed.

I have a 2007 RT with no radio. I'm interested in adding satellite radio, but don't want to go the Zumo 550 route. I have seen a bracket that mounts to either the clutch or brake reservoir and accommodates a Delphi Roady, but it appears the Roady is no longer in production. Does anyone have a similar set up?

This place may have what you're looking for. I have one of their mounts on my clutch reservoir, works great.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx

I use a Garmin 2730 for XM and love it!

I also have a XMRoady that is in new condition and available to anyone for purchase.

Let me know if you want it.

portable

I don't know if this is still available, but I have a portable sirius unit- maybe 2 1/2 inches tall, 4 inches long, and about an inch thick. I put the unit in the tankbag, the magnetic antenna on top of the map case (held in place with a magnet inside the case), and earphones. I have an adapter that fits into the auxiliary power outlet. Works great, but doesn't tell me where I am or where to go. My wife does that.

For the XM unit itself, I would still seriously consider the Harley Road Tech. The other places I am sure would be able to help with an appropriate bracket.

smart choice, I've delt with them for several years. they go to most of the Rallys and are always helpful.

I have a Pioneer Inno that I have used for three years. Mine works great without an extension antenna. I use a Ztechnik mount (velcro). Only drawback is that it is not weatherproof.

Attachments

• DSCN0366.jpg
    DSCN0366.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 133
Back