Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

Rich's custom Seats, up here in Washington. Went with full leather Driver & Pillion.

Part pebbled leather part fine grain. . My bike is Black Saphhire Met. So did it Black leather with Silver Stitching, both seats still heated and have a gelpad!

Comfort ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ and looks great!

Since I could go to the shop, it is completely custom to my rear but Rich does mail order too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Rtinger
    I have a low suspension model with a low Corbin seat--which I had built up a little bit. It is not as good as the original low Corbin because they screwed up the shape of the seat I had them put on a little bit more foam...though I like this height!

I find that seats that are really high, of course, have more foam and are comfortable; whereas seats that are lower have less foam and hard as a rock. There does not seem to be a way to find a comfortable low seat.

We live in a rustic cabin in Maine though our residence is in NH.

Rick.Mayer Seats

Is Rick Mayer still making seats in 2019? He has made three for me and I have been really happy with them. A year or two ago I heard he was out of business, does anyone know if he is back?
    Thanks

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zekezeller View Post
    Is Rick Mayer still making seats in 2019? He has made three for me and I have been really happy with them. A year or two ago I heard he was out of business, does anyone know if he is back?
    Thanks
    I figured he would be in jail by now, for all the people he stole from that pressed charges against him. Definitely buyer beware!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    I figured he would be in jail by now, for all the people he stole from that pressed charges against him. Definitely buyer beware!

Jim
    Wow! That bad eh??

He made a seat for me back in 2004 and although it took a while, the result was quite spectacular, as the K1200LT back then had the most horrendous seat ever produced by BMW...
    It was the first and only time I ever needed to change seats...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Wow! That bad eh??

He made a seat for me back in 2004 and although it took a while, the result was quite spectacular, as the K1200LT back then had the most horrendous seat ever produced by BMW...
    It was the first and only time I ever needed to change seats...
    The quality of his seats was never an issue. That he would take your seat base and never deliver, plus he charged up front, was the issue. I had two of his seats, and it took 6 months and a lot of emails, to get them back.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

Smile Russell Day-Long Saddles

I recently took the plunge and had saddles made for my 2012 R1200GS. I read many posts on this and other forums and made my decision with some concern since there were so many conflicting opinions. To minimize the chance for error or dissatisfaction I elected to make an appointment for the ride-in service at Russell Cycle Products. My wife and I rode to nearby Redding, CA, spent the night and showed up at RCP in Shasta Lake first thing the next morning. They had us both sit on the bike while two of their staff took photos and asked questions. Fortunately, they had loaner saddles for us and sent us on our way for a couple of hours while they constructed our saddles. We toured Shasta Dam nearby. Upon our return, we sat on our partially finished uncovered saddles to check fit. They made several adjustments to the saddles with my wife and me getting on and off the bike several times while they took the saddles back to the shop to modify them until my wife, myself and the men who were constructing the saddles were satisfied. We picked up the saddles the next morning and they were beautiful and extremely comfortable. My wife can't stop talking about her saddle's comfort and the heating option! I am completely satisfied with my choice and I would heartily recommend Russel Day-Long Saddles particularly the ride-in option.
    Last edited by Galiano; 01-07-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galiano View Post
    I recently took the plunge and had saddles made for my 2012 R1200GS. I read many posts on this and other forums and made my decision with some concern since there were so many conflicting opinions. To minimize the chance for error or dissatisfaction I elected to make an appointment for the ride-in service at Russell Cycle Products. My wife and I rode to nearby Redding, CA, spent the night and showed up at RCP in Shasta Lake first thing the next morning. They had us both sit on the bike while two of their staff took photos and asked questions. Fortunately, they had loaner saddles for us and sent us on our way for a couple of hours while they constructed our saddles. We toured Shasta Dam nearby. Upon our return, we sat on our partially finished uncovered saddles to check fit. They made several adjustments to the saddles with my wife and me getting on and off the bike several times while they took the saddles back to the shop to modify them until my wife, myself and the men who were constructing the saddles were satisfied. We picked up the saddles the next morning and they were beautiful and extremely comfortable. My wife can't stop talking about her saddle's comfort and the heating option! I am completely satisfied with my choice and I would heartily recommend Russel Day-Long Saddles particularly the ride-in option.
    Welcome to the forum!
    I wish I was close enough to do a “drive-in” fitting.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I've got a Russell production date coming up in two weeks. I thrown a lot of money at other seats (used BMW "Comfort" seat, and a custom from a different vendor) and have finally arrived at trying just one more. Here's hoping the Russell will work where others haven't.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

A few years ago I purchased my third RDL (bike changes, not due to wear). I cannot say enough good about them. My first experience was with a bike I inherited and it came with an RDL. I had to drive the bike from upstate Pennsylvania to North Carolina. I did so by making part of the trip be on the Blue Ridge Parkway. All total it was 11 1/2 hours in the saddle and I had no pain, discomfort, or soars - the saddle sold me for the rest of my riding career.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Longest day in my RDL so far has been 15 hours with zero issues. Can't even do that in my Ram 1500 or any other vehicle I have owned.

Russell Day Long on my 2004 K1200GT

I did the SCMA Four Corners Tour on my 2004 K1200GT back in 2017. I rode from San Isidro California to Blaine Washington to Madawaska Maine and then Key West. I had no issues with my Russell Day Long. 7440 miles in 18 days of riding. It is by far, the best saddle that I have used. I will be getting on for my new-to-me R1200rt.
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7
    1989 K100rs, 2004 K1200GT, 2010 R1200RT