• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

I have no experience with Rick Mayer, but have purchased 4 seats from Bill Mayer over the years for BMW's and, most recently, for my FZ6. Seat preference is a very personal thing, since no two backsides are the s ame. Bill Mayer has gotten it right for me (my size and riding style) or nearly right every single time. No break-in required; in all instances I've ridden 1,000 to 1,250 mile days (for various IBA certificates) when the seats have been new out of the box. Only once did I have to send a new seat back for very minor modification (to move the "pocket" back about an inch). I've gotten leather covering on all of those seats, and it has held up well through all sorts of weather. Oldest seat had over 50,000 miles on it and I sold it on ibmwr with plenty of life left in it for a good price. Very easy to work with them.

Rick made the seat on my R1150R and I couldn't be happier. Their dad, Bill Mayer, Sr. made the solo seat I had on Old Smokey which I rode in both the '99 and '03 Iron Butt Rallies. The seats are almost identical. And equally comfortable.

I have no experience with Bill Mayer, but have had Rick Mayer build me several seats over the years and have always been pleased with what he has done. Rick also completed successfully a full Iron Butt on one of his saddles. Here they are on my R1200RT:

rt-saddle.jpg

My guess is the Rick and Bill both made good saddles.

Last edited:
I dealt with Rick himself, and he gave me great service. Relatively cheap too. I have to recommend him, highly.

Very happy with Rick Mayer saddle... even if it's on a oilhead instead of a hexhead

Rocky did the seat on my 01 1150 GS and following some redo, it was just fine. The stock seat lasted about 80k and Rocky's seat was still on it when I sold it at 132K

Rick did the seat on my 07 1200 GSA and it is also just fine. It is a great improvement over the stock seat, but still looking for something a little better. Maybe a Russell next time.

They use similar techniques in building their seats. They both provide very good service and it comes down to personnal preference.

I would recomend a ride-in if at all possible. This will allow a much better fit and pretty much eliminate the need for a return shipment for adjustments.

bob

Rocky (Bill) Mayer did the seat for my F650GS twin. It's the first custom seat I've ever had. It's so comfortable that I just don't even think about the seat any more on long rides. Gotta get one for the RT next.

I had a seat built by Rick - and it is awesome. 800+ mile days are no problem. I did a ride-in and watched him make it. He really does a great job.

The voice of disention [sp]. I liked the fit and feel of my Rick Mayer seat, but the long term quality was subpar. In a year and 20K miles the leather looked like crap, and was badly faded.

Not only that, but it took hime 3 extra months to complete it, he got nasty when asked why, and never sent the promised leather conditioner and rain cover.

I would say this might be an isolated incident, but the exact same thing happened to my ex GF. That, and the "purple" leather was actually burgandy.

Never again, especially since my off the shelf Sargent seat was more durable and just as comfortable!

Jim :brow

Wow, Jim. That's too bad. My experience with Rick was just the opposite. I met them both at the West Bend Rally since finding a new seat for the K12RS was the main reason I attended. What made me choose to spend my money with Rick was his personality as well as the quality of the product and the feedback I received from satisfied customers I met while hanging out at his trailer. Rick was also in the ERC class I took while at the rally. He was extremely willing to share tips and techniques with a relative noob to sport bikes. The black leather seat he built for me fit like a glove, looked like a million bucks, and arrived at my door within a week of the stated delivery date. I sold the bike after putting almost 20K on that seat and bought the GSPD. If it didn't already have a Russell, I'd be calling Rick. In fact, I may still call him to rework it as the Russell was built for a much heavier, bigger person and doesn't fit quite right. My butt was spoiled by Rick's seat.

Tom

I met him at the VT rally and was also impressed. His seat was very comfortable, and he seemed nice and knowledgable.

But after the sale was made, his customer service went downhill fast. He promised it within a month of the rally, and delivered it four months later. All the while making excuses and nasty replies to e-mails, and promises he never kept.

Glad your experience was good, sorry mine wasn't and I will NEVER work with him, or recommend him to anyone. Plus, whenever asked, I will tell the truth. I know dozens who feel the same way.

Just one thread of many: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18881

Jim :brow

I bought one of his seats for my R1100RS in about 1994 or 5. After 150k miles or so, it was feeling a little sacked out and one of the seams was starting to open up.

By this time the bike (and seat) were in Germany. So I took some new photos of me on the bike and brought the seat home with me. I called up and made arrangements to have the seat rebuilt. Then, before my date came up, I ran into Rick at the Beemer Bash, where he was giving a 10% rally discount. So I told him I was signed up already, but could I get the rally discount? He looked me up and said that my seat was a warranty item and it would be free...

As I live only a few hundred miles away from him, I brought the seat to him. He completely rebuilt the seat, all new foam, all new cover. For free.

Rick Mayer's seats have a lifetime warranty. I guess he means it.

I also bought a Rick Mayer's seat early this year. Took delivery the first of May after sending in the Payment in full and the 500.00 deposit on one of his core seats the first of January. Sent the Core seat back the same day in May and after several promises to return the 500.00 core deposit I'm still waiting. The seat was used by me only for two months as I went down in Kansas on the way to Johnson City and rally. The bike was totaled and I am still trying to recover from the new hip. The new seat was salvaged by one of MOA members who helped keep me company in hospital while far away from home. Seat seems to be holding up I'm told but I do question his business practice at least with me.

Jack

I think both produce quality products. Rick puts allot of seams across the seat area, Bill doesn't. While Rick's look better, I was concerned about water infiltration in the seams.

I went with Bill via UPS (R1200RT basic vinyl model reusing the OEM heating elements). After a couple hundred miles, I sent the front seat back for a final minor adjustment (related to the heating element). 42k miles later, they're still good as new.

I think the key, especially for mail-in orders, is to do it in the "off season". I did mine in January and had the finished seats back 10 days after sending the OEM seats in.

I also bought a Rick Mayer's seat early this year. Took delivery the first of May after sending in the Payment in full and the 500.00 deposit on one of his core seats the first of January. Sent the Core seat back the same day in May and after several promises to return the 500.00 core deposit I'm still waiting. The seat was used by me only for two months as I went down in Kansas on the way to Johnson City and rally. The bike was totaled and I am still trying to recover from the new hip. The new seat was salvaged by one of MOA members who helped keep me company in hospital while far away from home. Seat seems to be holding up I'm told but I do question his business practice at least with me.

Jack

I ordered a seat in February that was due in April but finally arrived in JUNE -- but only after repeated delays. I promptly returned the stock seat and I followed his deposit return policy to the letter and kept all the associated documentation and he still didn't return the seat deposit until 30 days past the 30 days he gives himself for handling the return of your money. Keep after him -- it took me several email/voicemails to get the deposit processed but he finally did return it.

Great comments from everyone. Thank you all. If anyone has any further comments they certainly would be welcome.

It seems like there is more controversy with Rick than Bill, but that may be a result of not having enough people commenting to form a statistically significant sample to draw an "accurate" conclusion.

I will look at both providers. I lean toward leather and less stitching so I will check both of them out with regards to that criteria, in addition to, turn around time and long term service being other factors, aside from the obvious - I want a comfortable seat.

Thanks again everyone.

Neil

Buy a Russell Day Long and you will receive a very high quality, comfortable seat with no problems or drama. I've heard (first hand) of the problems that others have had that would cause me NOT to buy from either of the Mayer brothers. Conversely, I have owned over a half dozen Russell seats and have never had one problem with the seats or the financial dealings.

Thanks for your comment on the Russel. My issue is that I have the full size 08 R1200RT with a lower seat to accommodate my 28" inseam. When I called Russel they told me that there seat would put me up at least 1" after the break-in period. This, unfortunately, is an inch I cannot spare.

Any further advise on this?

Neil

Back