• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet Another Clutch/Transmission Question

saylorspond

In searching through the many posts on spline/clutch/transmission issues, I have not found the answer to my particular questions.

My 1999 R1100RT-P now has 89,000 miles on it. Purchased this spring, I have put over 5000 miles on it this summer and was planning on using it for my regular commute, absent ice, this winter.

Recently I've noticed that shifting from 2nd to 3rd is noticeably clunkier. This seems to be intermittant. All other shifting is smooth (for BMW), including 2nd to 1st. More concerning is that several times when shifting from 3rd to 2nd the shift lever jams. If I release the clutch and pull the clutch lever again, I can then drop to 2nd. Occassionally, the RID will also go blank when the lever jams.

My preliminary guess is that, obviously, the clutch input splines need to be examined and lubed. The intermittant nature of this problem, however, seems to suggest that my input shaft bearings, or some other significant mechanism, might be going. :cry

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue? More importantly, is there any danger in continuing to ride until I am able to do the work, or have the work done (more likely)? I can not afford the impending work and certainly can't afford a catastrophic failure.

Thanks,

Scott

my R11S started doing that same behavior about a thousand miles before the input shaft splines let go. very intermittent (once per hundred miles?), until i had absolutely nothing connecting motor to rear wheel. Nothing wrong with trans internals (other than input shaft) at all.
i would recommend doing the repair sooner rather than later. stranded in winter pretty well sucks icicles.

Welcome to the RT/P world.I have a 1998 that was in need of a trans rebuilt as soon as i got it.So much for all the good maintained Police motors.It's all a bunch of B.S.
I finally have the bike straightened out after numerous labor hours and some change out of my wallet.Funny thing is my bike had only 32 k on it when I got it from Cali. chips.Sad story.

Well, if it is an input shaft bearing you need to pull the transmission to determine that. But I suspect when you do pull the transmission you will find dry splines and a sound bearing. Do be sure to rotate the bearing, examine the seal, and even check the input shaft for play with a dial indicator.

And if it all checks out Ok and with no seal leaks, then lube the splines and put it back together.

Welcome to the RT/P world.I have a 1998 that was in need of a trans rebuilt as soon as i got it.So much for all the good maintained Police motors.It's all a bunch of B.S.
I finally have the bike straightened out after numerous labor hours and some change out of my wallet.Funny thing is my bike had only 32 k on it when I got it from Cali. chips.Sad story.

I have had similar experience buying used cars and did not really expect much more for an RTP. That is to say, any used vehicle with unknown service record is a bit of a gamble. I have actually been very happy with the comfort and performance of my bike. The mechanical problems always arise when my budget and time can least afford them.

I guess I will need to reduce my riding until I can have the work done. Thanks for the feedback.

I too bought an R1100RTP.
The splines were completely ripped out of my clutch friction disk.
New disk, acid brush with moly lube and good times are here.
Its really an easy job.

JimV.

Happy New Year! Here is a quick update regarding the shifting issues I reported.

Because of my schedule I was unable to invest the time this winter to delve into this project. After calling a regional BMW dealer and Tom Cutter (Rubber Chicken Racing Garage www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com), I took the bike to Tom for service.

The clutch and splines were fine. In fact, the clutch had been replaced at 39,498 miles. The transmission, however, was damaged: the shift forks were bent and the third and fourth gearsets damaged.

Tom was able to machine the gears and put everything back together. While in there I asked him to install the timing chain tensioner and JL Paralever Bushings. I picked up the bike today and what a difference! Shifting is much smoother (dare I say a joy). So I am finally back on the road again in time to enjoy the cold (and heated gear).:)

Back