• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Daytona Orange paint job price

N

nonapamela

I'm lying in bed healing after a carload of blue hairs pulled out in front of me coming the other way at a intersection. I t-boned em doing 45 and went flying; so I was told dont member much of it. Just glad the helmet was on this time. The 77 100/7 is totaled I got another in the shed. Ins $ came thru,my buddys got a 75 100/s good mech shape horrible black paint. I want to buy it, its for sale. How much for a fine paint job?Any shop recomends.

Another fine choice - Bob Wark at the Wark Shop also in Ohio - check his ad in the ON.

A sample of his work can be seen on my Smugmug page - The R69S, paint and striping. http://mjstone.smugmug.com/

If you desire the smoke/daytona orange pattern try to get a photo of the painter's work doing that paint scheme. The color fade and blend is an art. Compare painters photos and choose.

Motard, soon to be Bokrijder

M J Stone

A daytona orange paint job is the most expensive thing you can undertake. The fairing alone , from Holt, will cost a over thousand dollars.

Say what??

To paint a fairing over a grand? I s that legal?

Folks...if you think that doin' paint is expensive, try doin' it your own self, after you've had about 30 years experience to do it correctly...then go out and pay for the materials... You cry about the price, then if it's not done right, you'll cry about that too!!! Just because it's a small area doesn't mean it's easier...in fact, most of the prep work has to be done by hand, without machines...

Sheesh guys...

Folks...if you think that doin' paint is expensive, try doin' it your own self, after you've had about 30 years experience to do it correctly...then go out and pay for the materials... You cry about the price, then if it's not done right, you'll cry about that too!!! Just because it's a small area doesn't mean it's easier...in fact, most of the prep work has to be done by hand, without machines...

Sheesh guys...

Well said.

Sheesh guys...

Having painted one bike in my life, a DT1 many years ago, I would never complain about the cost of a paint job. Probably wouldn't buy one given my mantra of "you can't see it while you're riding it," but if I did I would expect a high price.

A daytona orange paint job is the most expensive thing you can undertake. The fairing alone , from Holt, will cost a over thousand dollars.

Yes, I was going to post that doing an S should be pretty cheap. It was around $5K for wife's RT (not smoked). Admittedly some "preparation" involved new fairing sections as it was more economical than recovering the existing part.

I just did a acrylic/urethane basecoat/clearcoat on one of my Nortons. Color matched the solid canary yellow to a NOS tank and the basecoat alone cost me $124/quart! Then there is the clearcoat, and the hardener, and the epoxy primer and it's own hardener.

And preparation is everything! Lots and lots of time filling and sanding for a perfectly flat surface and perfectly rounded curves.

Ron L
'99 R1100RS
'81 R65/Velorex

Some of the reds, oranges, what have you, are absolutely the most expensive paints you can buy...I painted my 1996 Camaro Sunset Orange, a pearl Corvette color, and the base by itself was over $350 a gallon! Not a base setup...(with activator)...just the BASE!!! THEN it was $300 a gallon for the clear setup...and you can't buy the clear I was using by the quart!!!

That's what we're facing, guys...Here a while back, one of my REAL good pals sourced some paint out of state...the supplier told him that paint suppliers in California were making something like a 4,000% markup, yadayadayada... So this stuff he bought looked like a real good deal...

When I shot it, it didn't handle well, and I told him so...he's not a painter, so he pushed me to get specifics on what I meant by 'not handling well'...Y'all painters out there will instantly know what I'm talkin' about, but it's not really anything you can put into words...it's just how it comes out of the gun and settles on the surface, and other things that defy words...

Yeah, it was cheap enuf...we spent the money we saved on materials and labor to have some guys come to color sand and buff out the job...well, the first time...after we had the flames put on, it needed color sanding and buffing again... This time the guys never showed up...guess who ended up doin' that...

I'm telllin' ya, good paint jobs are NOT gonna come cheap...even if they look good initially, they won't stay that way long...but by the same token, there's a point where it makes sense not to get TOO good a paint job on a road machine...

I recently bought a 72 Moto Guzzi Eldo that the PO had restored fairly well. He did have it repainted, but that is the one weak spot in his restoration (in addition to the things he DIDN'T do, like ditch the points... about which I have mixed feelings, but irrelevant to this thread).

So I've paid attention to people who've had their Eldos repainted and posted pics. Seen some beauties. Now Eldos don't have fairings, at least, not the type that require paint. Going rate for a first class job - as in superb work - is about $5K.

I missed my calling.

Not that I have ANY artistic talent. I like money, though. Does that count?

Another option?

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I came across this link awhile back and was intrigued by the concept. I haven't tried it yet, and if you read the posts on the subsequent pages, you'll see some strong opinions for and against the process. Scroll down the posts until you get to the Daytona Orange Charger. It was painted with Tremclad(Rustoleum) using foam rollers. That's the post where the thread gets interesting. Enjoy.

Several years ago, a very presentable paint job on one of my 750's in Nissan micah white with tape pinstripes ended up costing $800. The first painter screwed the pooch on the tank and the second got paid to make corrections. It still looks good, but things do happen to bikes that are ridden on the road.

The most recent paint job on a motorcycle I know about was a Harley Road King, front fender, tank, and rear fender, two tone, red with white cream, and a pin stripe around the tank....$2500 starting with new parts from Harley. $2000 for an RS Daytona style seems like a very good deal.