• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

front end noise

Gila Bender

I ride a R75/7. After not being laid up for more than a week or so
I started off for a ride and heard a rubbing sound coming from the front of the bike as it picked up speed through 15-20mph. Thinking it might be the front brake pads dragging and seeing as how it wasn't slowing the bike down at all I continued and rode for about 50 miles before returning home. But each time I slowed there was the noise again. anyone that can give me some hints as to were to start looking would be appreciated.:dunno

Check the front wheel bearings. Get the bike's front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel and see if you can hear the noise. If you can feel any side to side play after rocking the wheel side to side while someone holds the handlebars, I would suspect that is the culprit. I wouldnt ride the bike until I find out for sure if that is the problem.

Let's see if I checked this correctly. To check if this noise was engine related, I hit the kill switch while heading down hill in neutral with the bike making the "squeeqee" noise. No noise with the engine off. One other thing, two days ago, on a warm very humid and cloudy day there was no noise during a 30-40 mile excursion. the noise isn't like scraping of hard surfaces but more like described (rubber on rubber?)

If you think a brake pad maty be dragging - feel the rotors to see if they are warm immediately after a high speed run.

I had a car that only sometimes had hot brake rotors. It was caused by the equalization slides being corroded and stuck.

If not - go for front wheel bearing lube etc.

Gila Bender said:
Let's see if I checked this correctly. To check if this noise was engine related, I hit the kill switch while heading down hill in neutral with the bike making the "squeeqee" noise. No noise with the engine off. One other thing, two days ago, on a warm very humid and cloudy day there was no noise during a 30-40 mile excursion. the noise isn't like scraping of hard surfaces but more like described (rubber on rubber?)

If there's no noise with the engine off, then the noise is coming from the engine!

This sounds like (in writing that is) the crankcase ventilation valve. It's often described as a "turkey gobble!" Search for "breather" within this article:
http://home.jps.net/~snowbum/oilingsystem.htm
This is the most common item. There are other possibilities, but they are much less likely, and you should check this first.

There are so many external factors such as wind noise at speed that will cause you TO PERCEIVE the noise coming and going. In addition it can ACTUALLY come and go and weather and whatever external conditions will probably not be the cause.

Since you've determined that the noise comes from the engine, it's time to cease calling it a front end noise.

engine noise

Tried to get repeatability on a humid day and again, no noise. Not that it matters, but it is interesting. As far as wind noise etc. the noise is most noticeable at speeds where wind or competing engine noise is not a factor. I will check the breather asap. and thanks for the replies to my post.:brow:brow

Back