• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200RT is not an R1300RT

White, Black and Grey are not colours

Now... BLUE. That's a colour!

... and I love the clean handlebar set-up pre-2010... crap, I must be turning into an old fuddy-duddy with a German bike fetish!

Vibration isolated handlebar

Hello All,

Just received my February 2010 Rider Magazine.

Little blurb in Kickstarts regarding the the new R12 RT.
Says there is now a vibration-isolated handlebar.
It looks to finally be a different riser. I believe that the riser has been the same at least since 2002 - 2009 (R1150-1200RT). Probably 1100's as well.

Must be some rubber located at the joint between the riser and the shaft that the grip is mounted to. I don't see anything at the riser / top clamp in photos from the press kit.

Handlebar vibration is a subject which does come up in regard to the R12RT.
I'd like my '05 RT a lot, but a bit of isolation for a smoother, less vibey feel at the grip would be appreciated by many, including me.

I'll be curious to check it out.

Dmilan

Seems to me there is too much focus on looks nowadays with less consideration on function. I think the glass is half-full. ;)

The lack of color choice likely cuts down on production cost, helping to keeping the RT below the cost of an Electra Glide. I'll paint mine the color I want once I get enough scratches and wear on it.:violin

The plastic reservoirs are fine with me, considering my aluminum ones on my Electra Glide are already corroded at 3 years old. Hey, maybe BMW can come up with some billet ones!:stick

I have both types, a good looking bike (HD), and a completely functional bike (RT). BTW I think the RT looks good as it is. If I was still worried about how I looked when I rode through town I would not have my RT. And I can tell you that the RT (or another) will be with me when my HD is long gone.:dance

Not meaning to offend anyone here, but I keep hearing the same thing throughout this forum, not just this thread, & wanted to put my 2 cents in.:lurk

Sorry to hijack, but I love the wind turbines in the field along with the old oil well pump. Such contrast.

It is pretty cool isn't it! The photo was taken just north of Meunster Texas. Lots of cows among the windmills too. Red is THE color.

D1502086.jpg

Last edited:
I know for a fact that my 2008 RT is faster than the new 2010 model. First the urine jars on the handle bars will cause more wind resistance which will slow the bike down and 2nd I have the speed tested Sand Beige Metallic paint with lots of wax on it. The new 2010 model will not have as much wax so it will not slip thru the air as fast as my bike. So, there you go. Proof that my 08 is faster than the new model so I am going to keep mine.

I know for a fact that my 2008 RT is faster than the new 2010 model. First the urine jars on the handle bars will cause more wind resistance which will slow the bike down and 2nd I have the speed tested Sand Beige Metallic paint with lots of wax on it. The new 2010 model will not have as much wax so it will not slip thru the air as fast as my bike. So, there you go. Proof that my 08 is faster than the new model so I am going to keep mine.

Actually, the new camhead cylinder covers only have two bolts versus the four on your machine, so there is less parasitic drag on the 2010 bikes. The new style fluid reservoirs on the handlebars are actually used to pick up static electrical charge for creating an electromagnetic field around the redesigned fairing, thus giving the top-secret electromagnetic drive assist that will greatly reduce air drag and improve gas mileage and eliminate helmet buffet. Rumor has it that the software in the bike has a reference to "flux capacitor" too, which appears to be connected to the new controller wheel, combined with some kind of key combination pressing the new turn signal control switch to activate it. Your old technology is now obsolete. You need to upgrade immediately :thumb

I think the red of 2005 and 2006 are the best. I think second best is the blue. The current colors just seem so blah. To each his/her own I guess. I do prefer the "blah" or subdued reservoirs on my bike :D

I had a red R1200RT. Traded it for blue when it became available in '07. I think it is just personal taste. But I like a red hat :)

blue-rt.jpg

Just sold my 03 RT for 8k - probably will regret it-and am buying a blue leftover 09 low suspension because I do not like the colors for 2010. They are just drab. Also I like the low suspension since I am only 5 8.

Back