Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2010 R1200RT is not an R1300RT

I have been looking at some other sites where HP 2 Sport riders have posted on these issues and with that limited sampling the reports on durability, repairs etc sound good. In several cases these were sport riders that racked up over 15K miles per year or more so more than just weekend warrior wear reports. That is promising. I am pleased they don‘«÷t offer it in the Roadster yet which will give them even more time to work the kinks out before I face the buying decision.

IIRC the way mileage the mileage rating test is being done has changed. The results for many vehicles have been lower than expected but the new system (sorry I don‘«÷t remember the differences) was supposed to yield a rating closer to real world experience.

The four valves, overhead cams, exhaust flap and muscular appeared on the HP 2 Sport. When that happened we were all grunting ‘«£More Power‘«ō ‘«£Good‘«ō ‘«£More Power‘«ō like Tim the Tool Man Taylor.

In past motorcycle applications all of these have been about performance. They allowed designers to manage the fuel load and flow thus maximizing the performance of their designs over a greater portion of the engine rpm range.

Go out to your garage and pop your cage‘«÷s hood and many of you will find what I would. My 5 year old business cage has 4 valves per cylinder and a variation on the flap. This has to do with performance ‘«Ű emission performance. Again engineers are managing the fuel load and exhaust to lower emissions. Same thing is going on here. The demand was not to wring HP 2 Sport performance but manage the fuel load and emissions better.

BMW knows that the Boxer is an iconic necessity for the Motorrad division. We taught them that back in the ‘«ˇ80s. These are the things they are doing to keep the model alive and ready to meet the demand for emission parity with cars that looms in EU5 standards for motorcycles.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    it doesn't say anything about adding to the bikes performance, only modifying the "sound". . . but it's nice to know that they're copying 20 year old yamaha technology to improve their bikes
    I think just about every manufacturer has applied some level of wave management to an exhaust system. Yamaha just got there first. Given their musical instrument background, managing waves in a tubular system is pretty second nature to them.

For a while, Honda had a scheme on the CB954RR that actually converted the exhaust configuration by rotating a cylindrical gizmo. It altered the exhaust from being a 4-2-1 to a 4-1 to alter flow characteristics.

The existing GS exhaust uses a similar type of exhaust, but the activation of additional flow is done mechanically rather than via an electronically controlled servo. Look at a stock GS exhaust canister to see the control apparatus on the front side that adds additional volume to the exhaust system during upper rpm riding.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    I am interested in how these will hold up long term.

I see one thing that concerns me, that is the cam chain making all those cam guide supported direction changes in the head. It seems the more common arrangement is to gear or chain the two cams together and then use a little shorter more direct chain to drive one of them. Given BMW's track record on making cam chain tensioners that keep the chain reasonable quiet, and their tendency to require a crank case split to change a tensioner rail, I am concerned. Does anyone know how these have been holding up?

I am also at a loss at the lower fuel economy rating?

It will be interesting to hear how these actually hold up in the real world.

As far as the valve adjustment, I have no worry about it at all, this type is superior to the screw and nut system.

Also, it looks like there is a tiny fan built into one of the cam sprockets, is this to promote better air circulation in the head or for what.

Basically though, I am more excited about some of the buying opportunities for 1200 RT hex heads this new configuration will provide.

Rod
    The little "fan" is actually a device that helps provide crankcase ventilation. It was originally part of the oilheads, was enlarged for the hexheads and seems to have taken another step up in size with the camheads.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Go out to your garage and pop your cage‘«÷s hood and many of you will find what I would. My 5 year old business cage has 4 valves per cylinder and a variation on the flap. This has to do with performance ‘«Ű emission performance. Again engineers are managing the fuel load and exhaust to lower emissions. Same thing is going on here.
    YMMV
    Some of us will even see a boxer engine with the above!

PlaneGeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    for what it is worth I no longer do an "Angry Left Blinker" when I go for the horn.
    Now that's funny...

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Electronically controlled exhaust flap for superior and powerful sound??

you've got to be kidding . . . can BMW add any more complexity
    it doesn't say anything about adding to the bikes performance, only modifying the "sound". . . but it's nice to know that they're copying 20 year old yamaha technology to improve their bikes

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post

Jim

if you read through the thread, in response to my first post, kbasa said that the electronic control for the exhaust was a performance enhancer much like yamaha had used in the past (post #24).

my second post was in response to his post.

sorry to have confused you.

PlaneGeek
    Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post

Jim
    Looks like Jim's going to have to start crackin' on some new DVDs for us

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post

I no longer do an "Angry Left Blinker" when I go for the horn.

Overall I do like the new styling changes.
    LOL! This just made my day!!

Yet another loveable idiosyncracy, like how the horn announces a full-lock right turn.

If BMW's shim and bucket system is built anything like Yamaha's, valve adjustments will be a rare and seldom needed maintenance item.

I've had 3 Yammie I4's, valve adjustments were 20,000 miles apart, and none ever actually needed a new shim. Sounds to me like it's an improvement over the locknut twiddling, feeler gauge juggling method.

Peter
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

'09 R1200 RT vs 2010 RT

Last summer when I bought my '09 RT I had no idea that I was buying the last pushrod twin but I am now very glad that I bought when I did. In time we will probably come to accept and like the new motor but I would not want the first one made. BMW will likely need a few years to get everything right as they did with the previous model.
    Jeff

I have a feeling that requests for a Quadcammer Forum are pending...
    Rinty

Is there any reason one can think of to trade up to this bike from an earlier R12RT?

The engine has a hair more power and torque, but not enough to warrant an upgrade. The RPM is increased 500 RPM, which is nice, but again, not that big of a change.

The brake reservoirs are hideous, I certainly prefer the built in look of my 05 RT.

If I were buying a new bike, great, it's nice, but I can't see any reason to trade up.

Anyone?

--Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

LONERANGER
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Is there any reason one can think of to trade up to this bike from an earlier R12RT?

The engine has a hair more power and torque, but not enough to warrant an upgrade. The RPM is increased 500 RPM, which is nice, but again, not that big of a change.

The brake reservoirs are hideous, I certainly prefer the built in look of my 05 RT.

If I were buying a new bike, great, it's nice, but I can't see any reason to trade up.

Anyone?

--Robo
    +1

The brake fluid jars on top the handle bars? I will pass on any new RT's and keep my 08. Even if BMW had better color choices or 2010 I still can not get past the jars on the handle bars.

taran1900
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
    +1

The brake fluid jars on top the handle bars? I will pass on any new RT's and keep my 08. Even if BMW had better color choices or 2010 I still can not get past the jars on the handle bars.
    Heck I'm keeping my '05 with 87k. You're right on the reservoirs. HIDEOUS. I'm with you on the colors too. They SUCK. My RT runs great. Gets great mileage. Doesn't break. Is ridiculously easy to maintain. And it's paid for. I think BMW slapped this new motor in there to make sure it meets emission and noise standards. Who knows, there may be further improvements in the works. I get the feeling this was something they had to do in order to keep the RT in show rooms. But the colors do suck This is of course, just my opinion.