• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New R1200RT

If I had the slightest glucose intolerance before reading this, I would be a brittle diabetic after. Gotta love their improving on the already supreme.

I did not read any mention of the amazing, disintegrating final drive seals. I did notice the ever increasing list of options. Gotta overcome that US$/EU$.

Buy one, ride it, and let me know how it works.

Jim :sick
Jim, BMW press releases always read that way, "sugary". Do they want to make last years model seem obsolete? Hey you bought last year, but buy again this year, this year's model is 200% better! Why, that is practically an antique you're riding!

Too true, James. But in all fairness we could not expect them to say, "hey, our new product really isn't that much better than last year's model, you are well to keep what you own".

The point of press releases like this is to build excitement, agreed?

Mr. Shaw has a long standing distain for press releases cut and pasted into ON. In most cases I agree that in ON weÔÇÖre looking for the information with analysis and criticism included.

On the forum his post is more of a hijack than a discussion of the content of the release. I obviously have no problem with posting a press release in the form BMW or others published it getting it out there for discussion. The member discussion is where I expect the analysis and criticism of the releaseÔÇÖs content. We see and overlook different things. We bring differing needs and experience to the discussion.

The sugar shock wording of the press release is part of its content, I will grant him that, but forum area is Motorrad so to my eye it is more of a hijack. Press releases have all sorts of purposes depending on the reader. Here I had hoped the discussion would stay on the new bike, its features while avoiding the mandatory digs at BMW press releases and final drive problems with other models.

YMMV

Too true, James. But in all fairness we could not expect them to say, "hey, our new product really isn't that much better than last year's model, you are well to keep what you own".

The point of press releases like this is to build excitement, agreed?
Agree. Creative writing is expressed in press releases and, that is as it should be. What press release would say, for example, "The new 2010 RT, a boring bike for the masses! Featuring second rate technology and weak performance!" And as noted by Mika, Jim and myself have wandered off topic. The new RT is truly a marvelous machine and representative of some of the best design and engineering available. Hey, I am not knocking the new RT. I want BMW to do well and have a successful intro. of the new RT. Wish I could afford one, though it is not yet anyway, my type of machine, it would be nice if BMW still had an RS style bike to offer in the oilhead line. I wish they had not folded their tent with the removal of the R1200ST, really the end of the RS oilhead line. But, I am happy riding old or buying used as long.... as I am riding!

Last edited:
I think it is also important to remember that the press releases are written for the general public, not just BMW aficionados who know the intimate details of every yearly change. Thus the release mentions all the features of the bike, not just those added this particular year. That fact seems to confuse some, evidenced by comments like "but the '08 model had that, too". Yep, and the '07, and '06, etc.

It can be hard to tell what is actually new from a press release. Bring up the specs for the various years side-by-side and you'll get a better, but still incomplete picture.

Yes you have to deal with the UJM turn signals, and the urine sample reservoirs but you get over that quickly, at least i did. :lurk

Enjoy your new RT folks, it's going to be awesome!![/QUOTE]

I'll never look at those reservoirs the same way....:rofl

Harley stays forever, but,,,,,,,,,,,

I have pretty much decided to get a loaded 4-cam rt. last boxer was a new '77. i promised myself a new one when abs came out on a twin. never did it. the 77 was pretty much magic. never broke, never fell down. i will keep my loud and nasty harley deuce forever. when i was younger, i went years without a car. i intend to pretty much use the 2010 rt for all 1 person stuff,,,, travel, grocery shopping, whatever. i don't have to go to work anymore. don't have to.
i read a lot. i haven't seen delivery dates for the 2010 r1200rt. retail prices.
extended warranty options. local dealer said business is booming.
i find that hard to believe, don't you? how many are willing to pay $25,000.00
for a bike, lose $10,000.00 just driving off the lot? i will, because i know
exactly what i want, but i wouldn't expect to pay full list. plus 10% sales tax.
anyone have any idea when the new bikes hit the floor? thx, jp

I'm also planning to purchase a 2010 RT. One dealer I talked to said they would be getting them in Jan., another said first of Feb. As far as pricing, I was told it would be about the same as 09' but the option groups would be a little different. Both dealers have discounted 09s in stock, and have had the same bikes since I started looking back in August. Which makes me wonder how much their business is booming. I agree on the pricing, I'm not going to buy until they have a decent promotion, which probably won't happen until the 09's are gone. But since it was -10F here this morning, I can wait them out for awhile.

Be wary of the new....

I have read a number of reports siting a flaw in the new K1300GT. Stalls for no apparant reason. From my understanding, this is a new engine as is the 2010 RT. I have a 2006 RT and love the bike however, I would be wary of buying the 2010 without a little "wait and see" attitude. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
I have to admit, my father was a mechanic and he always told me not to buy a new car (didn't ride bikes then) when it first comes out. Give them time to get the bugs out.

I was actually considering trading in my RT for the GT but this info changed my mind. Maybe in 2011.

Tom

I have read a number of reports siting a flaw in the new K1300GT. Stalls for no apparant reason. From my understanding, this is a new engine as is the 2010 RT. I have a 2006 RT and love the bike however, I would be wary of buying the 2010 without a little "wait and see" attitude. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
I have to admit, my father was a mechanic and he always told me not to buy a new car (didn't ride bikes then) when it first comes out. Give them time to get the bugs out.

I was actually considering trading in my RT for the GT but this info changed my mind. Maybe in 2011.

Tom

Regarding the stalling on the GT, yes there have been reports, mine has stalled on occasion, others more some less.

Somethings are in play, a recall on the switches, a Throttle Body cleaning and now a software update.

All things being equal I love my GT and it is an awesome bike - the new RT looks great especially with the new paint job.

YMMV - and no regrets getting the GT other than having to give up the RT, would have liked both in the garage

:beer

Tom

I think caution makes sense. However; mechanically the engine is not new. It has been lifted from teh HP2 Sport. What is new, as far as I know at this time, is the mapping for the engine and some of the other specs.

K1300gt

Thanks for the input guys. The corrections on the GT are good to hear. I love the looks of that bike. I just bought an F800ST and was looking at a really sweet one in the showroom when I picked it up. Maybe next year I'll think about giving up my RT although, I do love it. I went out on Saturday and it was a bit chilly but the ride was great non the less. (I love riding when it's colder. You hear less of the guys with the loud pipes if any.)

Going from the RT to the GT I would miss one thing: The Radio. I love it and it makes the time go and is great when you're in traffic or just on a boring road.
Did I mention it sounds great too? ;)

Tom L.

Going from the RT to the GT I would miss one thing: The Radio. I love it and it makes the time go and is great when you're in traffic or just on a boring road.
Did I mention it sounds great too? ;)

Tom L.

Ram mount, a Garmin GPS with XM and some iPlugz custom earphones will cure that problem quickly, and a lot cheaper than a BMW radio :thumb

As for GT stalling, it is an issue with both the K1300GT and S models. BMW is issuing a recall beginning in January, under the watch of NHTSA. Check the Wedge-K forum for more info on this one.

Doug, thanks for the link. Nice pics.

I've been slowly warming up to the appearance of the R1200RT. The styling of the 2010 settles it for me - it's now a good looking bike.

It's surprising what a few subtle changes with body panels can accomplish in terms of overall appearance. BMW pulled this off with the wedge K-GT as well.

This is good - if I'm still capable of riding by the time I wear out my R1100 there should be a nice selection of post 2010 RTs to choose from.

What is a "superior" sound??????????????????

I live on a road that is part of a popular ride route in my area. I get tired of all the 50 something year old teenagers riding their HDs (and japanese HD knockoffs) with the straight pipes. The darn things are louder than the logging trucks that also use the road.

For me, the QUIET superior sound of the BMW was a big factor in choosing the brand. I hope that doesn't go away.

Back