Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crusty's New Home

Pickle

Crusty's New Home

Well I picked this bike up 2 weeks ago. Right now I refer to it as Crusty the BeeterMW. I paid the princely sum of $1400 for it. In retrospect it was a purely emotional purchase and I'm positive I overpaid but at least it was not the asking price.It was kind of like going going to the dog pound and falling in love with that 3 legged 1 eye thing. PO was obviously an abusive owner but I felt Crusty deserved better and may actually flourish in a new home with an attentive owner. Since Crusty has been at his new home I decided he needed to go on a diet and I shaved his coat to see what was really going on under there.

I'm happy we decided to check out Crusty's overall health before letting him run wild in the streets.

What we found so far are;
    No bolts attaching the upper subframe.
    Heavy corrosion on the engine covers.
    Seepage coming out of his bottom end.
    Pitted Chrome generously spread throughout the body.
    Pocked and Rusted frame-thankfully only surface rust.
    1 operating petcock-no wonder why he wasn't sounding right.
    No functioning brake on the front
    Questionable rear brakes.
    Busted Rusted and useless centerstand
    Dead Battery
    and a host of other screwy and "I can't believe someone did thats!"

So far all the bags, racks, and fairing have been removed--Probably never going back on either--If anyone wants to trade for some of this stuff shoot me a line.

Make no qualms-Crusty is going to run in the streets again but a total restore is not in his near future-perhaps a few years out.

My goal is to arrest all possible decay, get him running predictably, fix all of his safety issues, and then perhaps taking him on walks around the neighborhood until he gets his health and confidence back up.

I'll keep people posted on Crusty's condition as his health improves.

Forgot to mention Crusty is a 1974 R75/6 --my birth year perhaps thats why he's so special to me.

Another dog rescued from euthanasia
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rally Rat
    Welcome Pickle,

You've got the makings for a fine machine there. Find yourself some good reference material ( BMW, Haynes or Clymer shop manuals). Airheads are relatively easy to wrench on compaired to other vehicles. Those bags, trunk, and fairing are period correct and have some value if they're in decent condition. You're about to embark on an adventure that will last you a lifetime and you will make many new friends along the way. Take it slow and have fun.

Ride Safe
    MB

Aw, man, you're making me misty-eyed....

Good on ya, for rescuing another one from the pound. Indeed, you will find that the bike will reward you as you go along and make it yours. They are fun and easy to work on, fun to ride, fun to listen to, and fun to look at.....

A coupla sources for original/repro parts:

Hucky's Spare Parts -- Hans is a great resource on the phone, and his website has pictures of parts which are invaluable in helping find out wth things really are....

Vech at Bench Mark Works is THE guru for older-than-yours BMWs, also a great phone resource

MaxBMW has great parts fiches and parts catalogues on line.

And, go on over to ADVRiders and check out the Old's Cool section: tons of airheads of all vintages.

Pickle
    Thanks for the info and the congrats! I'm already enjoying this more than I thought. I have worked on some Japanese bikes in the past but working on this BMW has been wonderfully different. Things make sense on this bike and I feel like I have space to work. I'm really loving how everything I've touched so far in/on this bike seems Uber sized and it flows versus just being packed in there.

Thanks for Parts info--definitely will be utilizing those.

Pickle.... you any relation to I. DonWanna?

sorry.... couldn't resist.......

Pickle
    Sorry no relation. I'm from the I.M. Inna Pickle family.

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    If I had a job ...
    I had been talking to your PO about that bike and from a distance I can understand the dog pound reaction that you had. Yeah, your gonna have more money and labor to invest in it but at $1400 initial investment, you are pretty safe. If you are not crazy about the accessories you could probably finance a lot of repairs by selling those Cravens and the Wixom tote box.
    Keep us posted.

1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?ícalo)
    Adventures at the Cave

A '74 R75/6?

5 years ago, I resurrected mine, and just rode it 100 more miles today.

Sweet. Keep us updated.

(To post more than one picture per post, set up an account with photobucket or smugmug, or somewhere. I'm a simple man, and like plenty of pictures.)

Pickle
    I will definitely send more pictures as things progress--Fridays are my wrenching days so updates will more than likely come weekly. Yesterday I just got a box of bits from MAX BMW which should keep me busy for the next couple of Fridays. This Friday is the maiden oil dump and pan inspection if that goes well I'll probably spend the rest of the night hunting for oil filter O-rings and reworking some wiring and connections. Cross your fingers, I hope we're chunk free. Thanks for the support guys.

I think the small tank /6s are nicer and better proportioned than the large tank bikes.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    I'll probably spend the rest of the night hunting for oil filter O-rings
    ..and in case you didn't already know, this is not the era of bikes that had the $2000 o-ring. So, you're safe there. Just look in and see if an old small one is at the base of the post, as on old filters they came separate. On new filters, the little o-rings are part of the filter, and yes, you can use a hinged or straight one.

JAMESDUNN
    Crusty,
    Will be trusty,
    When you get rid,
    Of the rusty!

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeckham136133 View Post
    Pickle.... you any relation to I. DonWanna?

sorry.... couldn't resist.......

"I don't wanna pickle,
    Just wanna ride my motorsickle".
    (Arlo Guthrie. I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    "I don't wanna pickle,
    Just wanna ride my motorsickle".
    (Arlo Guthrie. I think.)
    Yup, The significance of the Pickle.

Brett
    Have a lot of fun with her, maybe someday she will look like my 1970 r60/5 R605.jpg