• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 ABS brakes

HUGH

What was the first year ABS brakes were put on the K75. Did BMW put the log ABS on the bikes that have ABS? I am working on buying a K75 and I was curious to see how one can tell if the bike has ABS. It is a 1991 RT.

What was the first year ABS brakes were put on the K75. Did BMW put the log ABS on the bikes that have ABS? I am working on buying a K75 and I was curious to see how one can tell if the bike has ABS. It is a 1991 RT.

ABS first appeared on the 1988 K75S.

With a '91 the easiest way to tell is to see if it has a big black cylinder on its side on each side of the bike beside the front part of the rear wheel. If it does it will also have a switch on the dash for the ABS. And it will go "kerplunk" as soon as you ride away after starting the engine and a flashing red light will go out (if the ABS works, that is).

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I am going back to ride the K bike in a few days as we are supposed to have some 70 degree days coming up in Iowa. If the bike rides as good as I have heard I will add it to my stable. I have got a 1974 750/6 and I love to ride the bike. It has got 73M on a rides and drives like a dream. It just has a bikini fairing and corners like a dream. I have got a 08 Classic Harley but it does not have the character of the 74 Beemer. I have got a 09 Kawasaki 250 water cooled and it is a hoot to ride on the gravel roads. My wife drive a 08 street glide. I can see a real roust about when we start jumping on bikes.

ABS first appeared on the 1988 K75S.
And it will go "kerplunk" as soon as you ride away after starting the engine and a flashing red light will go out (if the ABS works, that is).

MY 91 RT ABS works and I get no noise as I ride away. Is this a sign of a problem?

MY 91 RT ABS works and I get no noise as I ride away. Is this a sign of a problem?

I can't say for sure if it is a problem or not. ABS I is not nearly as loud as ABS II on the self test and engagement so as long as yours works, so be it.

I'd always hear of the "kerchunk.." - but in two systems on two K bikes, I never heard it make the noise (full helmet and earplugs all the time.)

I'm resurrecting an old post. Just bought a 1992 K75S with ABS brakes (no manual yet). I have a couple of questions if someone can help me.

I tried to lock the brakes and I can feel the rear brake pulsing. It seems to work fine. I cannot feel any pulsing from the front brake, but the brake seems very good. Should I feel the same kind of pulse from the front as I feel from the back?

There are two dash switches. One is the emergency flasher. The second is not defined, but it does have wiring attached. Does it have something to do with the ABS, or anyone know what it may be? It is a spring loaded switch.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Ed,

The pulsing will only happen on the wheel that is on the verge of locking up.

That sounds like the ABS switch. If the ABS has a fault while riding, you will get a flashing red light on the dash. That switch stops the flashing for 10 minutes at a time so you can ride home at night without the light driving you crazy.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee! I appreciate the information.

I saw a red 1994 K75S with ABS for sale in the Flea Market. It was listed as being in Pleasanton. I bet you know the bike. It looked really nice. I was going to ask you if you knew anything about it, but I found a K75S closer to my location.

Ed

Back