• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear main seal leak

D

dpilot

I bought a R1100R with a leaky main seal.
I havnt fixed it yet, but it would seem to me that excessive clearance in the rear main bearing would allow the crank to beat up on the seal.
I intend to check the fit!!!
JimV.

Unless it has done a heap of miles, or hasnt been serviced all that well, I doubt the main bearings would be worn.

I maybe wrong

Unless it has done a heap of miles, or hasnt been serviced all that well, I doubt the main bearings would be worn.

I maybe wrong

I agree. Voni's R1100RS is at almost 350K miles, my R1150R is at 130K miles, and a coiple of others have about 80K miles. And I have no concerns about the main bearings in any of them.

BMW Boxer mains seem to last forever. Seals - now that's a different story.

And checking the main bearings requires removing the engine and splitting the cases which is a project not undertaken lightly.

I had a leaky rear seal with Synthetic oil and it stopped when I changed to Dino oil.

I am expecting to put a dial indicator on the crank and see how far it moves up and down.
I have worked on a lot of german machines and I believe there could have been too much clearance in the git go.
Whatever if the crank moves too far, i will act accordingly

JimV.

Back