• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Driver's Information Display went blank

beemermyke

2004 1150RS with 65k on it, noticed this morning that all of a sudden the driver's information display is blank. The backlighting works on it, but there is no clock, gear indication, oil temp, fuel, nuthin'! I remember catching a glimpse of the fuel level display, but as I left the house I looked down and noticed everything was gone. Just as a background: Removed my tank two weeks ago before a big trip to put a new battery in it, and I washed the bike yesterday using S100 bike wash for the first time. I was careful to keep the spray away from anything electrical, as the instructions warn. I did a few obvious checks, like disconnect the electrical connector for the gas tank and where the display plugs into a block on the frame, but found no evidence of moisture in these areas. Is there a fuse for this that I'm overlooking? Do these units fail? As far as running electrical checks, I am getting power to more than one of the pins where it plugs to the display itself, but don't know specifically what wire does what.

Check the fuses as the contacts can get dirty. I had the same issue about a week ago and cleaned them all. The RID came back on after that...

Yeah, I did the plug-and-play on the fuses, and also checked each with an ohm meter. They are checking good.

So many problems after people wash the bike! Also after installing alarms!

Gee, I'm sorry... I was trying to get some technical help here. Maybe some of these comments should be in the "Campfire" forum instead?

My R1100RT ran perfect, till I washed it last year. then it wouldn't even start. took it to the shop and it was the Hall Sensor that went bad. $510.00 to fix. the shop said it was unrelated, but I waited about 10 months before I took a chance and washed it again. Bike still runs fine, but I still do a lot of spray and wipe instead of washing.

Hey guys, I know Beemermyke and when he cleaned his bike, I'm pretty sure he used tire dressing as well. Dude, this could all be related in a mystical, balanced universe sort of way. I would recommend you burn some sage and eat more berries.
OkeefenokeeJoe (fellow Tumble Turd)
Richmond Hill, GA

Do these units fail? As far as running electrical checks, I am getting power to more than one of the pins where it plugs to the display itself, but don't know specifically what wire does what.

OK Myke, the boys are having fun with you so I'll try to help.

Firstly, as I'm sure you know, everything fails. There are always RIDs for sale at the boneyard etc. so people must be buying them.

IIRC there are 2 power wires to the connector, one runs the clock, the other runs the rest when the bike is on, any others which read ~12V are signal lines.
Lastly, if the backlight works, I'm pretty sure there is an internal problem with the RID.
The easiest thing to do would be to find someone willing to swap RIDs, then you'll know for sure.

Good idea, Mike. I've got a co-worker that has a 1994 RS, I'll see if he's got the same panel on it and if he'd be willing to do a quick swap with it. Today I cleaned everything up with contact cleaner that I could think of, but to no avail. I'm secretly hoping that this thing magically starts working again, but doubt that's gonna happen. :cry

I've had issues with my RID's. MY '98RT has had a couple of them. What I find interesting is that with mine,one or two fuctions failed on the units,but not all at once. I don't think the odds are in favor of a faulty unit.

Actually, Gary, turns out that Mike Marr was right. Wish he wasn't, as it's probably the most expensive part in that system (just a guess). A co-worker had an identical one on his 94 R1100RS, and it lit up like a Christmas tree when I plugged it into my bike when I got home tonight. On the bright side, I got my question answered.

By the way, has anyone ever repaired one of these RID units? My electrical enguneer brother has a keen eye for circuit board defects and a steady soldering hand. :D

never have messed with one, but you have nothing to lose. If he can't fix it, just buy another. I don't think they cost much. I'll probably find that out if mine fails...

Back