Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old tires OK?

Old tires OK?

Any problem with running with an old rear tire? My ME 88 was installed in 97 on my r100RT. I put a couple thousand miles on it and then the bike was stored for 11 years. I'm riding it now, and it shows no cracking, though the tread edges do seem somewhat hard. Has this tire lost any of its traction or other important qualities over the years, or should I just ride it?
    Chuck
    10 R1200GS
    94 VFR 750
    88 R100RT (dearly departed)

Dear Chuck

Are you trying to start something? There are people here who get their shorts in a knot over new tires that have date codes a year old stamped on them. Yours is used and 12 years old.

How old is your helmet?

Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

On the Road
    Most likely lost alot of the traction as the rubber gets hard with age. I would not ride with the possibility of rain with this tire and also I would not take any turns agressively.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moskvichi View Post
    Any problem with running with an old rear tire? My ME 88 was installed in 97 on my r100RT. I put a couple thousand miles on it and then the bike was stored for 11 years. I'm riding it now, and it shows no cracking, though the tread edges do seem somewhat hard. Has this tire lost any of its traction or other important qualities over the years, or should I just ride it?
    Depends on how you feel about sliding butt-end-first off corners ...

Traction, especially cold or wet traction, on a 10-year-old tire is seriously compromised. Not worth your life.

Read "Untamed Horses"? Might knock the lace off your panties! A former employee put NOS tires on his car in CT, made it to Fl before 1 popped.
    '73 R75/5
    Never had a bad day skiing!

orbitangel

Thumbs down Riding on Old Tires

Tires just aren't that expensive but they ARE really, REALLY important on a motorcycle.

Why risk your life over the price of a new tire?

You should get that old tire off of there. Muy pronto!

Good luck!

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitangel View Post
    Tires just aren't that expensive but they ARE really, REALLY important on a motorcycle.

Why risk your life over the price of a new tire?

You should get that old tire off of there. Muy pronto!

Good luck!
    Plus one! Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombayduck View Post
    Most likely lost alot of the traction as the rubber gets hard with age. I would not ride with the possibility of rain with this tire and also I would not take any turns agressively.
    The harder rubber will wear like iron. You'll be giving up lots of miles if you change them.
    aaaaaa

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaa View Post
    The harder rubber will wear like iron. You'll be giving up lots of miles if you change them.
    aaaaaa
    'Course, if you bust your ass or destroy the bike when they slide out, then you'll be giving up lots of miles if you don't change them. Does "penny wise; pound foolish" sound familiar?

Tom

I kinda figured I'd be in for a tar and feathering... nuff said - you shamed me into a new tire.
    Chuck
    10 R1200GS
    94 VFR 750

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I bought a motorhome with what looked like new Michelins on it. I seemed to break a belt every time I took a trip. I took the first one in for a warranty claim and they were 12 years old (5 year limit on warranty). I found out that a tire that looks good with no cracking and good tread can still be very dangerous.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moskvichi View Post
    I kinda figured I'd be in for a tar and feathering... nuff said - you shamed me into a new tire.
    "Shamed" seems like such a harsh word for what we did; "Enlightened" sounds better. But, whatever works!

Tom

How old is the front tire?
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitangel View Post
    Tires just aren't that expensive ...
    Old tires are much more expensive than new ones at the end of the day/slide/road rash/mirror-turn-signal-valve cover-fairing replacement, etc.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Front tire is a Lazertec, less than a year old, so OK. (Helmet is new too..)
    Chuck
    10 R1200GS
    94 VFR 750