• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Thursday, December 31

WSBK et al.

motorcycle-usa.com: Zemke to Jordan Suzuki ÔÇô AMA Pro Racing 2010

Dakar

The date line on this article is December 21 makes it old news but yet a good way to begin my limited coverage of Dakar 2010.
tbam.com: Dakar almost here

moto-station.com: Dakar 2010: The BMW 450 will she measure up?

onewheeldrive.net: Street heads to South America for 2010 ÔÇ£El DakaroÔÇØ

motorcycle-usa.com: Dakar Rally route details

flagworld.com: Dakar ÔÇô It all starts at La Rural

BMW PressClub/Argentina (translation by bing) Cages

X-raid Team presented alongside total team involved the Dakar Rally Argentina Chile 2010.
Press release
After a successful sponsorship during the 2009 Dakar, TOTAL is once again the official sponsor of the team X-Raid BMW Team, led by Sven Quandt, Director General of the computer. This computer was presenting yesterday to the press in the Dakar Village.

Team that competes with BMW X 3 CC units are vast international experience pilots:

St?®phane Peterhansel and Jean-Paul Cottret
Nani Roma and Michel Perin Guerlain Chicherit and Tina Th?Ârner.
Leonid Novitskiy and Andreas Schulz.
Total will bring all its expertise in logistics, fuels and lubricants is concerned, provide support to the team during the next Rally Dakar Argentina Chile 2010.

In addition, TOTAL official sponsor of the Dakar Rally by 18th consecutive year, has accompanied this legendary event in these years providing fuel during the entire route, being the only oil company capable of supplying the most inhospitable places in the world.

Sven Quandt statements
"After our successful experience in 2009, is again a pleasure for the X-raid team visit this region for the 2010 version of Argentina Chile Dakar Rally, the greatest challenge of the new year." "We are convinced that cooperation with total will lead to very positive results and cannot wait to cross the line of rulebook and transform our joint efforts into a reality."

Statements Diego Tricci
"For TOTAL is a great satisfaction be X-raid Team sponsor for the second consecutive year." "The 2009 Dakar threw as a result an excellent experience and complementarity, being this year, without a doubt one of the teams is planned as a serious candidate to get first place".

Check out the official promotion video of the Dakar 2010 Argentina&Chile (NL version) - "Same places, new adventure!" (video created by the A.S.O. Dakar Organization Committee)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YWoMNLVrgnM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YWoMNLVrgnM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Formula 1 and 

f1technical.net: Points for pole position and fastest lap in 2010?

On the Street

I was zipping through my feeds when I came to Motorcycle Picture of the Day : BMW R100CS and wondered where have I seen this picture before? Maybe here? The bike may be located in ÔÇ£Marin By God County, CaliforniaÔÇØ but my bet is the picture is going viral across the internet.

bmwblog.com is a cage blog. They have a little piece about the S1000RR titled ÔÇ£BMW flouts politics and unleashes a monster.ÔÇØ The article centers around the MCN dyno test previously posted in this thread showing the S to be the current production hp bike king. BLAH BLAH BLAH What really caught my attention was this paragraph.

ÔÇ£The demographic BMW are targeting with this bike are not ÔÇÿnew learnerÔÇÖ teenagers, in fact, BMW refuse to sell their high output motorcycles to anyone short of experience on medium class bikes. My local Toronto Motorrad dealer takes pride in this policy, and as a Toronto Medic, IÔÇÖm proud of them for it.ÔÇØ

This is the first that I have heard of this. Are any Canadian members aware of this?

Buell.com is up and running even if the company is not. Along with deep discounts and a two year unlimited mileage warranty they have added a bike locator feature to the site to help you find out were the last ones are in the US. 1277 left as I write this. Check it out an see how many are left when you visit the site.

Normally there are several dealer threads running on the forum at any given time. They cover a variety of issues, complaints and rants. Dealernews has a piece for dealers on how they can protect themselves from pollution liability. The article has a link to a bulletin from Zurich the insurance company. Naturally they want to sell insurance to dealers but for this threads readers it will give an insight into the issues dealers face with pollution and some ideas to manage them that we could possibly adapt to our own garages.

Cutting edge technology that is taken into manufacturing often turns into bleeding edge technology that ends up on the floor of a bankruptcy court. That is where Vectrix Electrics found themselves July of this year after being an early leader in developing scooters and their impressive electric superbike. AutoblogGreen is running a story that GP Batteries has purchased the company for a modest $5 million dollars consisting of cash and debt assumption. What they will do with the company, scooters and the electric superbike is unknown.

A link from a reader ÔÇô BMW motorcycle technology for the physically handicapped bikers.flv

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7BKVAYDcWiI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7BKVAYDcWiI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8BZFYQuuJk&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8BZFYQuuJk&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

thedesignblog.org: All mountain wheelchair brings sporty spirit to the physically impaired.

all-mountain-wheel-chair_01_N7R2k_17621_160x120.jpg

ifitshiitshere.blogspot.com: Wood Sculpters that look like anything but. The work of Ricky Swallow
:jaw

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

TodayÔÇÖs cruller is a classic by Tony Foale by way of The New Caf?® Racer Society.

Tonyfoale.com / Articles
Breaking the Mold
Italian Job
Biography

753629812_KxuS8-L.jpg

753643875_iVrdk-M.jpg

Additional pictures

WSBK et al. ÔÇ£The demographic BMW are targeting with this bike are not ÔÇÿnew learnerÔÇÖ teenagers, in fact, BMW refuse to sell their high output motorcycles to anyone short of experience on medium class bikes. My local Toronto Motorrad dealer takes pride in this policy, and as a Toronto Medic, IÔÇÖm proud of them for it.ÔÇØ

The day I see a dealer decline a sale to a paying customer, I'll $#!+ a brick.

WSBK et al.

Davide Tardozzi, former Ducati SBK manager signs a deal with BMW! Official announcement is expected in early January!

speedweek.de: Tardozzi to make the pace by BMW

crash.net: Corser reveals his final career goal

Looks like we are in for an interesting year in WSBK!

Friday, January 01, 2010

racinglambrettas.com: An interview with the Ancillotti Borthers

754357735_FkWLn-S.jpg

WSBK et al.

caradisiac.com: Matthieu Lussiana to race the S1000RR in Stock 1000

MotoGP

motorsport.com: 2010 MotoGP schedule

Dakar

asphaltandrubber.com: Aprilia RXV 4.5 Dakar unveiled for 2010

Mendoza, Argentina. This city is located in the center west of the country. The new edition of RALLY DAKAR it will be take place in 2010. This video is property of Secretaria de Turismo de Mendoza ...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Clr2dKHdJe0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Clr2dKHdJe0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rally Dakar 2010 Argentina Chile - Arrival of teams and technical inspection, Buenos Aires, December 28, 2009

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Og6YJA1Blkg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Og6YJA1Blkg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

g450-rallye.jpg

moto22.com: Like turning on the G450X motorcycle rally affordable

AMA Pro Racing

motorcycle-usa.com: 2010 AMA Supercross television schedule

superbikeplanet: Editorial ÔÇô Expletive deleted: Unfinished business

roadracingworld.com: First Person/Opinion: Roger EdmondsonÔÇÖs departure gives AMA Pro Racing one last chance

Formula 1 and 

confidential-renault.fr: Heidfeld to Renault F1?

itv-f1: James AllenÔÇÖs review of the year

joesaward..com: A New Years look at Formula 1 in 2010

guardian.co.uk: Decade in sport: F1 in the naughties

On the Street

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Ir0A2VRyYg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Ir0A2VRyYg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

see the rest on www.westcoastchoppers.com

knucklebusterinc.com: Build your own air compressor

Dunlop Tire Changing Guide via motorcycle-usa.com

<iframe src="http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/708/Motorcycle-Embed/Dunlop-Tire-Changing-Guide.aspx" scrolling="no" height="595" width="670" frameborder="0" id="MotorcycleUSAVideo" title="Dunlop Tire Changing Guide - Motorcycle USA Video"></iframe>

freep.com: Declining dealers
Motorcycle dealers are not the only ones that are declining in numbers.

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

754357744_HCmV7-L.jpg

Nice cruller!

I am glad to see american roadracing washing its hands of Roger Edmundson, but fear it may be a case of too little, too late. The damage done is teetering on the edge of total.
It seems to me, that the France family's business plan is to sow seeds of self-destruction in any (two or four wheeled) race series competing with NASCAR, to lure away the big-name draws, and kill business at any venue which isn't in their pocket, and to dominate TV coverage. The trick to building a monopoly isn't to eliminate the competition directly, but to make it look like an accident.

Monday, January 11

I am starting the new year by doing a bunch of catching up. Here are a couple of things from BMW.

WSBK et al.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - New team management for Superbike World Championship.
ÔÇó 07.01.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
New team management for the Superbike World Championship.
BMW Motorrad Motorsport and Davide Tardozzi reach agreement.

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 07January 2010. BMW Motorrad Motorsport is restructuring its team management in the Superbike World Championship. Davide Tardozzi (50) has been appointed to a senior position at Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport with immediate effect. The Italian will head up team management and operational control at the race tracks in the Superbike World Championship.

Up to now, Rainer B?ñumel (43) has been responsible for engineering, team management and team organisation in his capacity as BMW Motorrad Motorsport Project Manager in the Superbike World Championship. B?ñumel will continue as Head of Project Management and Project Management Engineering.

The collaboration between BMW Motorrad Motorsport and Tardozzi is part of a package of measures aimed at optimising the competitiveness of BMW Motorrad Motorsport in the Superbike World Championship. In his role as Team Manager, Tardozzi will look after the operational management of the team at races and tests, act as an interface between the team and the promoters and organisers of the Superbike World Championship, and provide a link to suppliers.

ÔÇ£I am delighted finally to be able to announce our partnership with Davide Tardozzi,ÔÇØ said BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director Berthold Hauser. ÔÇ£The new structure ensures that the team will be well set up for the future. Team management and team organisation are important areas in which we can see further potential for improvement. The key here is to approach every situation in a structured and target-led way. This applies to both general processes and tactical decisions with a direct influence over performance. With his many years of experience in the sport, Davide will play a decisive role here. At the same time, the restructuring will allow Rainer B?ñumel to fully focus on the core areas of overall project management and engineering.ÔÇØ

Tardozzi said: ÔÇ£I imagine a lot of people will be surprised to hear of my decision to join BMW. However, for me the decision was simple. I had offers from MotoGP, but my heart is in the Superbike World Championship and I feel at home here. BMW Motorrad Motorsport is a young and hungry team, and that gives me the challenge I have been looking for. IÔÇÖm looking forward to working behind the scenes to the benefit of the team. I know that I can fulfil this role at BMW. Of course, already knowing our riders Troy and Ruben well makes my job easier. 2010 will be a tough year, as there are many good riders and teams in the Superbike World Championship. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that BMW can take a big step forward over the coming year.ÔÇØ

Tardozzi rode in motorcycle races himself from 1984 to 1992. In his first two seasons he competed in the 250 cc World Championship and later moved to the Superbike class. He finished third in the 1988 Superbike World Championship after racking up five race wins, and in 1991 he secured the European Superbike Championship title. Tardozzi has remained involved ÔÇô and continued to enjoy success ÔÇô in motorcycle racing since bringing the curtain down on his career as a rider. Since 1995, as a team principal, he has won a total of nine manufacturersÔÇÖ titles and eight ridersÔÇÖ titles in the Superbike World Championship.

On the Street

Motorrad sales showed the only negative sales numbers as the BMW Group reported a December world wide sales increase of 10.1% for the group. All of the auto brands show sales increases for the closing month of what will be a down year for all segments.

BMW Motorrad sold 5,360 bikes world wide in December 2009, down 28.1% from their 2008 sales of 7,457 units. Preliminary year to date numbers show BMW selling 87,306 bikes. This is down 14.1% from the 101,685 sold in 2008.

No sales numbers for the US market have been released. BMW Canada did release numbers and shows y-t-d Motorrad sales of 1830 units and closed strongly in December selling 66 units for a 43% increase over 2008.

BMW Motorrad Canada finished the year with a total of 1,830 motorcycles sold, an increase of 4 per cent over 2008. December sales of 66 units represent a 43 per cent decrease in sales over the same period last year.

The auto section of the transportation industry appears to have found bottom and is showing signs of increases. Japanese manufacturers joined BMW in reporting improved auto sales in recent months. The US manufacturers are showing signs they have found bottom. Commercial vehicle sales are still showing negative numbers in Europe, Japan and NA but this segment too is showing signs of finding the bottom. Motorcycle sales are the one segment that continues in a sales free fall in most markets.

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

The guys at Imperialcycles are at it again with Goldie their recent winner for best motorized bicycle at SF Ride Bike Expo 2009. I get a big smile every time their RSS feed lights up.

goldie_2.jpg

Tuesday, January 12

WSBK et al.

The 2009 WSBK season kicked off in South Africa. The 2010 season gets underway this year at Portimao next week. The Portuguese track, the venue for the final round of the 2009 season three months ago, will once again be the location for the year's first World Superbike and World Supersport action as all the top teams and riders prepare for the coming season.

A total of fourteen hours of testing for World Superbike and nine for World Supersport are scheduled. No news on BMWÔÇÖs factory or satellite teamÔÇÖs participation at this point. WSBK will announce participating teams soon.

MotoGP

motorgp.com: FIM detail the changes in regulations for the 2010 season.

motorcyclenews.com: Engine restrictions ÔÇÿdauntingÔÇÖ says Jerry Burgess
Cost cutting comes to MotoGP in the form of engine life. The six engine limit has team managers working backwards through the 2010 calendar as they plan their engine strategy.

e-Racing

asphaltandrubber.com: Mavizen introduces factory support service, training and insurance for the TTX02

Dakar

IOMTT

Regulations and entry forms for 2010 IOMTT

WEC
Can-Am GNCC Racing
AMA Pro Racing

AMA Pro Racing Rulebook 2010 pdf

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Exclusive Q&A with Peter Windsor ÔÇô ÔÇ£everything is coming togetherÔÇØ

formula1.com: Alabama debut for US teamÔÇÖs first car

autosport.com: USF1 granted extra testing days.
Windsor spins this as ÔÇ£an example of how the FIA and the teams have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome.ÔÇØ I suspect it is more a case of how far behind the curve they are and the FIA and teams doing anything in their power to make certain there is a full field. USF1 has had the most time to prepare of any of the new teams yet continues to look behind the curve. Only Campos is a bigger question mark for who will be on the grid for the first race.

Mean while Lotus F1, the last team the next to last team to be given a spot on the 2010 grid is set to announce its car a week early and Sauber has set January 31 2p.m. local time in Valencia as its debut time. After 18+ months Windsor can only say things are coming together.

McLaren reorganizes itself for the 2010 season. Fans will read many things into this but with a new driver and a changed relationship with Mercedes the devil is in the teamÔÇÖs organizational details for a driver or constructor championship bid.

Nick Heidfeld sends us his greetings and updates us ÔÇô no news is still news in F1 ÔÇô about his 2010 plans.

ÔÇ£First of all, I would like to wish all of you a Happy New Year and express my sincere thanks to my fans for the enormous number of Christmas and New YearÔÇÖs greetings, which were also posted on my website.

Of course over the holidays my current job situation did not let go of me, even after Michael SchuhmacherÔÇÖs decision was published just before Christmas. This is certainly a great thing for Formula 1 and I wish good luck to Michael and Mercedes. This decision affects me directly because it means there is a relevant less space for next year. I am not naive when I say, especially after the past few weeks, a lot of unexpected things can happen in Formula 1. Now we have to look forward and focus on the best long-term option for my future in Formula 1. I will continue to train hard, conduct talks with the appropriate people and to challenge my chance with all my might.

I am happy about posting something new soon and I hope in the coming weeks to be able to announce something concrete about my future plans.ÔÇØ

Rumors persist that Heidfeld will rejoin his old teammate Robert Kubica at Renault F1

jamesallenonf1.com: Details emerge of new Ferrari F1 design

On the Street

BMW Motorrad USA Strongest Brand in Declining Motorcycle Market
ÔÇó 11.01.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Strong Dealer Network, New Products, Make BMW Best Performing Motorcycle Company in America

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  January 11, 2010 According to just-released Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) reports, BMW Motorrad USA outperformed all of its competitors in 2009. Despite a U.S. motorcycle market that declined 41 percent and lost nearly 360,000 units, BMW motorcycle sales only declined 22 percent, which was the smallest decline among all motorcycle brands. This follows on the heels of 2008 when BMW Motorrad USA was one of only two motorcycle manufacturers to post positive growth.

ÔÇ£Our dedicated dealers were the key to our success this past year,ÔÇØ commented Todd Andersen, BMW Motorrad USA Marketing Manager. ÔÇ£Despite the tough market, they continued serve our customers well and promote our new products like the K 1300 S and the K 1300 GT. They were supported by attractive financing programs from BMW Financial Services. While many other dealers struggled to finance their customersÔÇÖ purchases, BMW dealers never lost access to good financing, and this will continue for 2010.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£We expect significant sales growth in 2010,ÔÇØ said Andersen, ÔÇ£on the strength of the launch of the production version of the S 1000 RR Superbike, the most powerful and sophisticated sport bike ever produced. Our dealers have confirmed deposits on over 600 bikes and deliveries to customers will begin January 26.ÔÇØ

Also slated for the coming year are new versions of BMW MotorradÔÇÖs most popular models: the R 1200 GS, the R 1200 GS Adventure and the R 1200 RT.

End of press release

Roehr Motorcycles, best known for its seductive H-D V-twin superbike, is going electric. Gizmag.com say Roehr is set to unveil a 96 bhp electric sports motorcycle.

jsonline.com: Tactical retreat helps 91 year old Harley dealership

motoaus.com: How the motorcycle brands fared in [Australia for] 2009

telegraph.co.uk/finance: Come back ÔÇô Not for all the scooters in China
A British entrepreneur tells his tale of building high end scooters in China for import into the British/Euro market.

File this under topics to discuss around the campfire. Bikes from the past/current decade may still be too new to think of collectables as the first decade of the new millennium either ended or about to end (depending on how strict you are on this). The 90ÔÇÖs are another story.

motoaus.com: Collectible motorcycles from the 90s
As you scan this article keep in mind it is from ÔÇÿdown underÔÇÖ. Not all of the models were available to us. What do you think of their list and more importantly what bikes built in the 90ÔÇÖs would you add to the list?

I have been looking at green bikes of late, Kawasaki green that is.
motorcyclistonline.com: $3000 street bike surgery - Kawasaki KLR650 motorcycle
Motorcyclists asks the same question I have been asking myself. ÔÇ£The question, then, is can you make a 1987-2007 KLR650 perform as well as a 2008 and later model? And if so, at what cost?ÔÇØ

sportrider.com: Video ÔÇô Motorcycle ergos with Martin Cardenas

thekneeslider.com: AirHead ÔÇô Air powered motorcycle design concept.
Air powered concept cars have been showing up online. Now comes this two wheeled example.

Want a different look for your chrome? A lesson in ÔÇ£Scotch BritingÔÇØ your chrome motorcycle parts for an aged/stainless look, By Dar Holdswoth at Darwin Motorcycles (Brass Balls Bobbers).
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bXikaSbfN3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bXikaSbfN3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

TodayÔÇÖs treat comes by way of the blog 8Negro without any explanation or attribution.
The bike sports a California plate with a San Jose BMW license plate frame. Anyone out there able to tell us more about this R75/5?

762717587_Hcsga-M.jpg

762717550_HhL5W-M.jpg

762717509_Gpaah-M.jpg

Collectable bikes of the nineties?

My nominee is Tadao Baba's 1992 Honda CBR900RR, aka "Fireblade" in europe. This was the original open class (remember, superbikes were 750's at the time) sportbike which strived to be as light as a 600cc supersport; it actually weighed less. Throw in a 16" front wheel, 54.5" wheelbase, and 120 HP, and you have a bike which is still a blast to ride today, and still looks great. I love those timeless round headlights and the lightening holes in the fairing.

Every R1 or S1000RR has followed a line left by this bike.

Attachments

• 92-9.jpg
    92-9.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 110
Wednesday, January 13

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Bryne gears up for new Ducati challenge

worldsbk.com: Tom Sykes ÔÇô the Kawasaki man

racesport.nl: Reitwagen BMW riders ÔÇÿtestÔÇÖ at AustraliaÔÇÖs Eastern Creek. The session may not be a real test as the riders only had access to the street version of the S1000RR.

MotoGP

fim-live.com: Rossi rules out F1

Rossi may be ruling out four wheeled racing but

autosport.com: Stoner plans to race cars after bikes

motogp.com: Hayden excited at prospect of new season

e-Racing

A different kind of bike racing takes a different approach to writing rules.
egrandprix.com: TTXGP 2011 ÔÇô Wiki Rules of Engagement
ÔÇ£World first, TTXGP 2011 rule book goes wiki... Your chance to be part of the change.ÔÇØ

Dakar
IOMTT
WEC
Can-Am GNCC Racing
AMA Pro Racing

On the Street

The Vintagent: Las Vegas, Behind the Podium
Part 1
Part 2

motorcycle-usa.com: Triumph claims ÔÇÖ09 market share increase

asphaltandrubber.com: American Caf?® Film tells the Slimey Crud Run story

AMA Action Alert
ÔÇ£The AMA strongly urges all motorcyclists and ATV riders to contact their U.S. Senators and Representatives today and demand that they conduct hearings regarding the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) lead ban affecting youth-model off-highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).ÔÇØ
Read the full alert ]here

motorcycle-usa.com: MIC Recommends CPSIA Amendments ÔÇô dirt bike OHV legal issues

motocyclistonline.com: A dozen ways to die

A 2010 catalogue download is available from Hornig motorcycle parts.

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

hellforleathermagazine.com: How to talk like a real biker

Bike Cruller
TodayÔÇÖs treat is by Igor Sadvoy. I came across this on the Otto Nero site.

763911330_rnmjv-M.jpg

Thursday, 14 January

WSBK et al.

motomatters.com: 23 World Superbikes and 18 World Supersports in leaked provisional entrants list

worldsbk.com: Aprilia 2010 team manager Dalligna speaks

worldsbk.com: Cazzola signs up Kuja Racing in WSS
Paola Cazzola will become the first female rider to compete full-time in the Supersport World Championship

e-Racing

egrandprix.com: Unveiling the eCRP 1.0 - exclusive to TTXGP 2010

Formula 1 and 

reuters.com: Ecclestone proposes Grand Prix short cuts.
I want a lid of what Bernie is smoking.

Bike Cruller

Not another restoration this is a New Model Henderson K! Ok new model with heavy emphasis on model. Caradisiac.com is the latest site to come under the spell of master modeler Pere Tarrag??. His models 1:5 or 1;6 scale built using original drawings pictures and plans. Each represents roughly 400 plus hours of work and sells for about Ôé¼1,500.
http://www.motoscalatarrago.com/

764575903_2q8p2-L.jpg

Caradisiac slide show of other work

Friday, January 15

WSBK et al.

crash.net: Aprilia surprised by Camier pace

motorsport.com: Canadian SBK series news and notes

MotoGP

visordown.com: Rossi rushed to the hospital over appendix scare

bbc.co.uk: Ducati reveals 2010 bike
Specs
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9xFMMnx678&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9xFMMnx678&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

AMA Pro Racing

roadracerx.com: John Hopkins to return to AMA competition???

motomatters.com: John Hopkins to return to AMA for 2010

Formula 1 and 

Michael Schumacher has been in Spain testing using a GP2 car. Rain has hampered his runs most of the week but Thursday weather and skill came together for decent results.

As soon as I post this things will change, but here are the F1 drivers as I know
Formula One 2010 confirmed drivers

The 2010 Formula One grid is still taking shape, with some teams already confirming at least one, if not two of their drivers.

Here is a list of the drivers that have been confirmed so far (listed in alphabetical order team by team):

AT&T Williams
Rubens Barrichello
Nico Hulkenberg

Campos Meta Grand Prix
Bruno Senna

Force India Formula One Team
Adrian Sutil
Vitantonio Liuzzi

Lotus Racing GP
Jarno Trulli
Heikki Kovalainen

Mercedes GP
Michael Schumacher
Nico Rosberg

Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel
Mark Webber

Renault F1
Robert Kubica

Sauber
Kamui Kobayashi

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Sebastien Buemi

USF1
None confirmed

Virgin Racing F1
Timo Glock
Lucas Di Grassi

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
Jenson Button
Lewis Hamilton

Announced 2010 Car Launch Dates | Note some teams are opting for a ÔÇÿpit laneÔÇÖ launch during testing.
28 January - Ferrari
29 January ÔÇô McLaren
31 January ÔÇô Renault ÔÇô Track debut
31 January ÔÇô Sauber ÔÇô Track debut
1 February ÔÇô Toro Rosso ÔÇô Track debut
12 February ÔÇô Lotus

Others have been reported but not confirmed by the team web sites. Things continue to come together for US F1.

espnf1.com: Ecclestone repeats his warning that two teams will not make the first 2010 grid.

Nelson Piquet[/url] may be coming to a track near you. He had been rumored in association with a couple of the new teams but has turned his back on F1 is heading to NASCAR.

On the Street

Cycle World take the new GS for a ride

jsonline.com: They shake and rattle but antique bikes are getting more expensive

Press Release Issued By Husqvarna Motorcycles (January 13, 2010)

January 13, 2010 - Woodcliff Lake, NJ - While the U.S. motorcycle market endured some tough times as a whole in 2009, Husqvarna had a winning year on the track and in the sales department. "Retail sales were up 9% compared to 2008," says Husqvarna Motorcycles North America President Mark Brady. "This was a phenomenal result considering that 2009 was our first full year of operation in the USA."

According to the just-released industry sales figures U.S. motorcycle sales declined 41% in the past year, yet Husqvarna is happy to have bucked this negative trend. "Our sales accelerated through the end of the year, increasing 98% for the last two months of the year!" This late sales spike pushed Husqvarna up to 9% in y-t-d sales overall. "This is a true testament to both our dedicated dealers and great new products, such as the 250cc model range," explains Brady.

Race results also helped keep Husqvarna sales on the gas. Great performances by Glenn Kearney in the GNCC series (not to mention winning the overall at The Little Brown Jug Enduro), combined with Canadian import Cory Graffunder's EnduroCross podiums, Zip-Ty Racing taking Top 2-Stroke honors at the infamous Glen Helen 24 Hours and Adrien Chareyre capturing an X Games SupermotoX medal were all proud moments. However, the 2009 Husqvarna highlight had to be Desert Master Nick Burson winning the AMA D-37 Desert #1 plate and taking first overall honors at California's legendary Elsinore Grand Prix.

"It is clear from the results that we put some early housekeeping in order, offered a top quality product and presented one of the best retail financing programs in the entire industry," says Brady. He is quick to add that Husqvarna will continue with 6.99% financing for 2010 and even better bikes! "We have some exciting new models joining the range, including the all-new TE630 and SM630. We have also updated the popular 250 model range and we will be announcing some serious 2010 race series sponsorships shortly."
Marketing Manager & Racing Chief Scot Harden believes the best is yet to come, as Husqvarna will be reentering the AMA National Enduro Series in 2010 after a 20-year hiatus from woods competition. "We look forward to re-establishing Husqvarna as the leader in off-road racing, and as a logical extension of this success, continuing to win on the retail sales level as well," concludes Harden.

motorsport.com: Husqvarna named Marque of the Year for 2010 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days

BMWGroup Mexico showed a 13% decrease in motorcycle sales for 2009.

ÔÇ£Furthermore, BMW Motorrad placed 1,066 units, which corresponds to a decrease in the 13.3 % compared to the 2008 (previous year: 1,230). Similarly, the continuous brand with the deployment of full of emotion and dynamism with the new BMW K 1300 line and an agile handling, naked models precise, BMW F 800 R. And yet to be found in a very challenging year, BMW Motorrad increased their participation in the segment of motorcycles with engines larger than 500 cc.ÔÇØ

From BMW PressClub Mexico, translation by Bing

I donÔÇÖt cover gages much. For some perspective ACEA, the European manufacturerÔÇÖs association for car and motorcycle manufactures, is reporting passenger car sales rebounded in the second half of the year but still came in 1.6% down for the year.

Royal Enfield is entering the liter bike segment with this shot
thekneeslider.com Royal Enfield Musket

thevintagent.blogspot.com: Thursday, January 14, 2010
1896 HILDEBRAND & WOLFM?£LLER

Hildebrand+%26+Wolfmuller.jpg

caradisiac.com: Riding in the Snow ÔÇô I have the solution.
arton19234.jpg

londonbikers.com: Triumph motorcycles makes record sales in 2009!
The UK market saw sales drop 10% across the board. In that market Triumph showed a 26% increase in sales.

ÔÇ£TriumphÔÇÖs success has been attributed to several factors, not least its wide range of critically acclaimed products, which has ensured a broad appeal to different types of riders. From high-powered sports bikes, to laid-back cruisers, Triumph has established leading models in every categoryÔÇØ

The range of models combined with price point has done much for Triumph. Range of model problems is something that is lacking in forum discussions of BMW. BMW is addressing some of this. The G450 was a major shift. The S1000RR is another. But they still are heavily dependent on the mature touring models to generate sales. Husqvarna may help the BMW AG bottom line but how much it is acting as a feeder product line for the Roundel models is still very much in question.

solomot30.com: YAMAHA put its prototype hybrid under the microscope, the HV-X

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

I have not been able to follow the 2010 Dakar as I had hoped and planned. However; I came across some great pictures at Boston Globe site boston.com

765015023_SsyRE-M.jpg

Piquet turn his back on F1? :violin Say it ain't so!
A guy who crashes on team orders would be a perfect fit for NASCAR.

Friday, January 22

On the Street

Disaster Recovery

There is one story here in Fly-Over-Land; disaster recovery. We are dealing with the impact of an ice storm, after a series of snow storms, which has knocked out power for the last few days to many businesses and residences. In motorcycle news disaster recovery is in the fore front as Harley-Davidson released its very bloody fourth quarter 2009 earnings this morning.

Here are a few of the statistics from the full press release that follows at the end.

- Revenue was down 23.1% at $4.29 billion in 2009
- Income was down 89.7% at 70.6 million
- Shipments for the year were down 53.1% for the 4th quarter.
- The company does not think it has hit bottom and is forecasting a continued reduction in 2010 sales.

In October H-D revealed its third quarter earnings and future strategy. These included the closing of Buell and the announcement of the intention to sell recently acquired MV Agustsa. In addition plant closings and other actions were taken. In the short run some of these strategies are paying off.

- Early retirements were offered as a means of fixing and cutting labor costs for the York plant. Employees took advantage of the offer in sufficient numbers to force H-D to recall some workers that had previously been laid off. H-D and outside annalists are pleased with this result.
- Consolidation of production continues. H-D had entered the trike market using Lehman Trikes as their outsourcing production partner. H-D is continuing the product line but moving the production in house to the York plant.

The company continues to lay its 2009 problems at the feet of three things; the economy, changes in Wisconsin taxes and restructuring costs. On paper this makes a certain sense but does not ring true all the way.

Obviously the economy has critically wounded almost all motorcycle manufactures. This is without a doubt the worst world wide motorcycle market in my years of riding. I will give them this one.

Early in the year the company went through a leadership change as the first numbers for the year started rolling out. Changes in Wisconsin taxes played big in the storyline during that time. Wisconsin residents and papers were pounding Madison, the state capital, for threatening to kill another Wisconsin manufacturer in the process. State government may deserve to be questioned, I am a former resident and will leave that to current residents, yet in the process H-D seems to have very poorly planed for this. The company had taken advantage of a variety of state aid over the years. In some cases old tax advantages were rolled into new programs over the years. H-D seemed to think this would be never ending. The failure to plan for the potential that this aid could end was not planned for and cost some people their jobs. The one year tax rate that seems amazingly high and a financial burden for 2009 is a result of this poor planning.

Restructuring costs will continue to play in H-D financial planning and reports for 2010. Cost will continue to be incurred as a result of its restructuring plan. Assuming H-D is able to find a buyer in this market, selling MV Agusta is an example of just one item in the plans which impact the bottom line in a yet unknown way.

I believe H-D is being optimistic in projecting further reduction in sales of 5-10%. Apparently H-D like many annalists sees the US motorcycle market finding bottom by the end of 2010 and stability coming in 2011. I donÔÇÖt share that belief placing bottom sometime in 2011 at best with a flat period to follow.

JAMA, the Japanese counter part to the US MIC, will report December numbers in the next few days. This will give an idea of where the world motorcycle market is headed. When they are available I will post the numbers.

Harley-Davidson Reports 2009 Results

ÔÇó Full-Year Company Revenue, Profits Decrease from Continuing Operations

ÔÇó Fourth Quarter Loss Reflects Previously Announced Reduction in Motorcycle Shipments and Restructuring Activities

ÔÇó Company's Efforts in 2010 Remain Focused on Extending Harley-Davidson Brand, Continuous Improvement and Strengthening Core Business
MILWAUKEE, January 22, 2010 -- Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) reported full-year 2009 revenue of $4.29 billion and income of $70.6 million, or $0.30 per share, from continuing operations. In the fourth quarter, the Company reported revenue of $764.5 million and a loss of $147.2 million, or $0.63 per share, from continuing operations. Affecting fourth-quarter results were a previously announced 53.1 percent reduction in Harley-Davidson?« motorcycle shipments from the year-ago period and $167.1 million in restructuring and Buell?« product line exit costs.

Including MV Agusta discontinued operations, the Company reported a full-year net loss of $55.1 million, or $0.24 per share, and a fourth-quarter net loss of $218.7 million, or $0.94 per share.

"Our full-year 2009 results were affected by the difficult economy, as well as the planned actions we took that resulted in restructuring charges of $224 million. We believe these actions are critical to restoring greater profitability and long-term growth to Harley-Davidson," said Keith Wandell, Harley-Davidson, Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer. "We are confident we have made the right decisions for our future, and we are executing our strategy with focused intensity."

Full-Year and Fourth-Quarter Results

For the full-year from continuing operations: revenue was $4.29 billion in 2009 compared to $5.58 billion in 2008, a 23.1 percent decrease; income was $70.6 million in 2009 compared to $684.2 million in 2008, a decrease of 89.7 percent; and earnings per share decreased 89.7 percent to $0.30 in 2009, compared to $2.92 in 2008. Full-year results from continuing operations primarily reflect the effects of lower motorcycle shipments, restructuring and Buell product line exit costs, and non-cash charges related to Harley-Davidson Financial Services.
In the fourth-quarter of 2009, the Company reported revenue of $764.5 million compared to $1.28 billion in the year-ago quarter, a 40.2 percent decrease, and a loss of $147.2 million, or $0.63 per share, compared to income of $91.9 million, or $0.40 per share in 2008, from continuing operations.
2010 Guidance

For 2010, the Company expects to ship 201,000 to 212,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycles to dealers and distributors worldwide, a reduction of five to ten percent from 2009. "We believe 2010 will continue to be a challenging year," Wandell noted. In the first quarter of 2010, Harley-Davidson expects to ship 52,000 to 57,000 motorcycles. Gross margin is expected to be between 32.0 percent and 33.5 percent for the full year. The Company expects full-year capital expenditures of between $235 million and $255 million, including $95 million to $110 million to support restructuring activities.

"Delivering Results Through Focus" Strategy

During the fourth quarter, the Company moved forward with the execution of its business strategy, unveiled in October 2009, to deliver results by focusing on Harley-Davidson products and experiences, global expansion, demographic outreach and commitment to core customers. Additionally, the Company will continue to expand its initiative to enhance profitability through continuous improvement in manufacturing, product development and business operations.
"Focusing our investment behind the uniquely strong Harley-Davidson brand provides the most attractive path to sustained, long-term growth," Wandell said. "We also expect to achieve substantial gains in the efficiency of our operations through continuous improvement."

Motorcycles and Related Products Segment

Fourth Quarter. Revenue from Harley-Davidson motorcycles during the fourth quarter of 2009 was $552.0 million, down 45.6 percent compared to the year-ago period. The Company shipped 35,938 Harley-Davidson motorcycles to dealers and distributors worldwide, down 53.1 percent from the fourth quarter of 2008 but in line with previous guidance of 35,000 to 40,000 units. Revenue from Parts and Accessories totaled $144.6 million during the quarter, down 4.9 percent, and revenue from General Merchandise, which includes MotorClothes?« apparel, was $66.8 million during the quarter, down 3.2 percent compared to the year-ago period.

Gross margin percent was down during the quarter from the year-ago period, primarily as a result of fixed costs being spread over fewer units and the impact of exiting the Buell product line. Operating loss was $221.8 million compared to an operating income of $162.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2008. Operating margin was negatively affected by lower gross margin and restructuring charges incurred during the quarter.

Full-Year. For the full year 2009, revenue from Harley-Davidson motorcycles was $3.17 billion compared to $4.24 billion in 2008 on shipments of 223,023 Harley-Davidson motorcycles, compared to 303,479 motorcycles in 2008. Revenue from Parts and Accessories totaled $767.3 million in 2009, down 10.7 percent, and revenue from General Merchandise was $282.2 million, down 10.1 percent compared to 2008.

Full-year 2009 gross margin was 32.3 percent compared to 34.6 percent in 2008, and operating margin was 7.3 percent compared to 17.5 percent in 2008.

Retail Motorcycle Sales. During the fourth quarter, retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 21.4 percent worldwide, 27.9 percent in the U.S. and 10.3 percent in international markets, compared to the prior-year quarter. Industry-wide U.S. retail heavyweight (651cc+) motorcycle sales declined 20.9 percent during the quarter, compared to the year-ago period.

For the full year 2009 compared to 2008, retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 22.7 percent worldwide, 25.8 percent in the U.S. and 15.4 percent in international markets. Industry-wide U.S. retail heavyweight motorcycle sales declined 36.7 percent in 2009, compared to 2008.

Financial Services Segment

Harley-Davidson Financial Services (HDFS) recorded an operating loss of $7.1 million for the fourth quarter of 2009, compared to an operating loss of $24.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2008. Key drivers of reduced operating loss versus the year-ago quarter include a decrease in impairments on retained securitization interests and a decrease in fair value writedowns on held-for-sale receivables, partially offset by an increase in the provision for retail loan losses.

For the full year 2009, HDFS reported an operating loss of $118.0 million, compared to operating income of $82.8 million in 2008.

HDFS continued to access the capital markets during the quarter, raising $1.76 billion through the unsecured debt and term asset-backed securitization markets. Through its 2009 funding actions, HDFS expects to meet its 2010 anticipated funding requirements.

Restructuring

The Company now expects previously announced restructuring activities that began in 2009 to result in total one-time charges of $430 million to $460 million into 2012, including charges of $175 million to $195 million in 2010. The Company continues to anticipate annual ongoing total savings from restructuring of approximately $240 million to $260 million upon completion of all announced restructuring activities, including savings of approximately $135 million to $155 million anticipated in 2010.

In December, Harley-Davidson announced that, as a result of the ratification of a new seven-year labor agreement at its York, Pa. motorcycle production operations, the Company is restructuring those facilities to focus on the core operations of motorcycle assembly, metal fabrication and paint. "When the restructuring is completed, we will have completely changed the face of how we build motorcycles in York and we expect significantly greater manufacturing flexibility and significant annual cost savings from a more efficient operation. It is a tribute to our employees at York that they understood we could not continue on the course we were on, and they worked with us to find a better way," said Wandell.

During the fourth quarter, the Company made the decision to consolidate its vehicle test facilities from three locations, in Alabama, Arizona and Florida, into one location in Arizona.

Income Tax Rate

The Company's full-year effective tax rate from continuing operations was 60.5 percent compared to 35.8 percent from the prior year. The increase was due primarily to the previously reported one-time charge for the Wisconsin tax law change and the non-deductible goodwill write-off for Harley-Davidson Financial Services, as well as the impact of reduced earnings. In 2010, the Company expects its full-year effective tax rate to be approximately 36.5 percent from continuing operations.

Cash Flow

Cash and marketable securities totaled $1.67 billion as of Dec. 31, 2009, compared to $568.9 million at year end 2008. Cash provided by operating activities for continuing operations was $609.0 million and capital expenditures were $116.7 million in 2009. In the fourth quarter, Harley-Davidson Motor Company made a $215 million contribution to fund Company pension plans.

Discontinued Operations

The Company continues to move forward with the sale of MV Agusta and is in the process of identifying potential buyers, following Harley-Davidson's decision in the fourth quarter of 2009 to divest the subsidiary. MV Agusta is now presented as a discontinued operation for all periods. For the full year of 2009, Harley-Davidson, Inc. incurred a $125.8 million loss from discontinued operations, or a loss of $0.54 per share, comprised of operating losses as well as a fair value adjustment.

Company Background

Harley-Davidson, Inc. is the parent company for the group of companies doing business as Harley-Davidson Motor Company (HDMC), Harley-Davidson Financial Services (HDFS), Buell Motorcycle Company (Buell), and MV Agusta.

Forward-Looking Statements ( Standard statements not included in this copy)

url=http://www.xkcd.com/atom.xml]xkcd.com[/url]

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

Cabin Fever

770644584_XPSdT-M.jpg

Monday, 25 January

WSBK et al.

WSBK welcomes back Silverstone

BMW has made progress in the off season but so have the other teams.

Portimao Superbike Testing:

Overall Friday/Saturday/Sunday Best Times

1 65 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'42.270
2 91 Haslam L. (GBR) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'42.557
3 67 Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 1'42.877
4 35 Crutchlow C. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'42.960
5 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'43.137
6 52 Toseland J. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.157
7 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 1'43.364
8 41 Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1'43.417
9 76 Neukirchner M. (GER) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.471
10 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'43.508
11 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'43.629
12 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 1000 F. 1'43.749
13 11 Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'43.931
14 77 Vermeulen C. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'44.108
15 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'44.365
16 111 Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.570
17 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.751
18 31 Iannuzzo V. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'45.348
19 95 Hayden R. (USA) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'46.990
20 12 Fores J. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'47.293

Brits head the field in day 1 of :portimao Superbike testing

Rea heads British supremacy

Encouraging finish for Haga and Fabrizio

Rea heads British supremacy

Laverty makes the breakthrough

Positive test run for Althea Ducati riders

AMA Pro Racing

roadracingworld.com: AMA President Rod Dingman interview Part 1: Answering the question, how much did the AMA get from DMG for AMA Pro Racing?

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Mercedes GP unveils livery

suderiatororosso.com: Alguersuari confirmed as second driver for Toro Rosso in 2010.

On the Street

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Motorcycle air-conditioner to be released shortly

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

773224291_QvhqC-M.jpg

White outs outside - I am bored

WSBK et al.

What did you do last weekend? Ruben Xaus tested the limits of the S1000RR and it bit back.

773694816_FDG6X-M.jpg

773694426_ubzxC-M.jpg

773694464_StiNE-M.jpg

773694504_vfG6d-M.jpg

773694540_XBBRz-M.jpg

773694570_MDNNt-M.jpg

773694600_ANhSC-M.jpg

773694679_y8RUM-M.jpg

773694784_Hrqfh-M.jpg

Xaus is a very capable bike. On the street the S1000RR has been a very capable performer. On the track riders and the S1000RR have troubles staying together.

The truth is that both Ruben Xaus and Troy Corser, his teammate the BMW Motorrad, have not had a very successful weekend in early training of the pre-season WSBK testing. In order to be successful racers need to ride at the extreme edge of a bikes capability. Both are capable racers. BMW needs to find what is lacking to make its apparently competent street bike an excellent racer.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Test Portimao - Day 1
• Informa?º?úo ?á Imprensa
Weather conditions: Overcast, partly sunny.
Temperature: Air: 17 – 21 ??C, Track: 15 – 23 ??C
Number of riders participating: 20 from 11 teams
Fastest lap overall: Leon Haslam (Team Suzuki Alstare) 1:42.778 min
Circuit length: 4.658 km

Programme:
For the first test of the 2010 season, BMW Motorrad Motorsport brought along bikes with a new engine set-up and new swing arms. While Troy Corser (AUS) had already been able to ride the newly set-up BMW S 1000 RR during the final test of the 2009 season in Almeria, Ruben Xaus (ESP) rode the race bike for the first time today after his accident in the last race of that season. Ruben’s crew focussed on bike ergonomics and tested different handlebar and footrest positions in the morning. In the afternoon, Ruben’s crew worked on bike geometry and weight distribution. Troy’s crew worked on bike geometry and weight distribution in both sessions.

Troy Corser:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
Test kilometres today: 293 (63 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:44.756 min / fastest lap free practice 2: 1:44.376 min
“Today was not too bad, although we are not exactly where we wanted to be. We tried a lot of different things on the bike today. We compared two different swing arms, and I can feel the difference. However, it is too early to say whether it is a big improvement. I think we made a step forward with the engine. Now we have to get the combination right between engine and chassis.”

Ruben Xaus:
Test kilometres today: 260 (56 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:45.034 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:44.570 min
“I am pretty impressed with the progress we made over the winter. Most of the other riders tested a lot more than I did and have a lot more kilometres on the bikes. Taking that into account, I am quite satisfied. We tested a lot of different things today, and we were not totally off the pace. The bike is much more rideable with the new engine set-up. However, we still have to understand some issues. I experienced some wheelies at points round the track, which does not allow me to open the throttle fully. There we are losing time.”

What comes next:
This week’s testing in Portimao will continue until Sunday. On Saturday, both riders will test a new rear shock. On top of that Troy Corser will test a new front fork.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Test Portimao - Day 2
Weather conditions: Rain in the morning, partly cloudy in the afternoon.
Temperature: Air: 13 – 19 ??C, Track: 11 – 15 ??C
Fastest lap overall: Jonathan Rea (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 1:49.107 min

Programme:
Rain in the morning only allowed a limited testing programme in the first free practice session today. Although the track was almost dry at the end of the afternoon session, for today Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport focussed on working on the rain set-up.

Troy Corser:
Test kilometres today: 135 (29 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:57.237 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:49.606 min
“Obviously with this morning’s conditions it was quite difficult to really test anything. We tried to get a feeling for the bike in the wet. We worked on improving the feeling for the rear grip and the position of the bike. After the end of the second session I can report the bike’s balance really improved. I am not too excited, but I am happy we are closer to the front runners than we were yesterday.”

Ruben Xaus:
Test kilometres today: 135 (29 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 2:04.764 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:51.170 min
“I have the feeling we understand the bike a lot better than yesterday. We have a couple of new components on the bike compared to last year, and yesterday there were still a lot of question marks. However, today we made some good progress.”

What comes next:
On Sunday, both Troy and Ruben will continue working on the basic set-up of the bike.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Test Portimao - Day 3
Weather conditions: Overcast in the morning, sunny in the afternoon.
Temperature: Air: 15 – 20 ??C, Track: 12 – 22 ??C
Fastest lap overall: Jonathan Rea (HANNspree Ten Kate Honda) 1:42.270 min

Programme:
Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport today worked on the chassis set-up of Troy Corser’s (AUS) and Ruben Xaus’ (ESP) BMW S 1000 RR. Ruben crashed in the first session, but was able to return to the garage under his own steam and continued testing. Troy’s crew had no technical difficulties.

Troy Corser:
Test kilometres today: 302 (65 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:44.608 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:43.931 min
“We tried a lot of new stuff today on the chassis side and compared the different tyre compounds. The lap time on the race tyres was quite ok, but we did not quite achieve what we expected with the softer tyre. We gained a lot of valuable information which is good as there is still a lot of work to do.”

Ruben Xaus:
Test kilometres today: 247 (53 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:45.810 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:44.925 min
“Today was not a lucky day for me. In the morning I crashed and later I faced some technical issues we have to work on. However, the test was worth a lot. During the season, there will be a couple of days like that. We have to make the best out of it. I know what I can achieve, and the team is really motivated.”

What comes next:
Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport will head directly to Valencia. Both Troy and Ruben will test at Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo on Wednesday and Thursday.

On the Street

Triumph is the only brand that I have seen turn in a sales increase for 2009. The naked bike segment is the only segment to show growth in the UK and a couple of other markets for example. The Triumph lineup is strong with naked bikes. That may change.
Triumphchepassione.com: A new Triumph Trophy coming soon?

thevintagent.blogspot.com: 2010 Retromobile Paris

asphaltandrubber.com: The 2010 Yamaha FZ28 leaked photos

bikerholic.com: 2010 Harley-Davidson Forty Eight is a raw and radical ride

ducatinewstoday.com: 47 years later Honda builds a Ducati Apollo

Bike Cruller

Today’s treat comes by way of 8negro.blogspot.com. I translated the builders comments for you.

"I'm a lover of classical motorbikes BMW Boxer".
I always wanted to have one, and thus I got it a few months ago, when I bought a BMW R 100 RS.

To this passion for these bikes, you joined a concern ever more intense by the Cafe-racer, I discovered some five years ago, at the hands of a friend and his LeMans Guzzi.

We have the ingredients. A good base, and a style that marks character if only.
Just missing a little surf across the network, to view the wonders that she sail, a little inspiration from these beauties and to work.
In three evenings, disappeared the bike altogether. All crumbled in large boxes, high girls... low much work ahead.

The harder was the beginning. Something poor view that tapeworms a moto, and suddenly, there's nothing. To be the first time, you invades a bestial horror think if you will be able to return to life, that same quitaste you.

So patiently, piece by piece, went cleaning, rising, repairing, searching, buying, welding, cutting, pasting, modifying and many more... .andos

In the end, when mounts the box with wheels, you feel many forces to continue, and everything begins to sense.

In a few weeks, was already back in my garage, but with a slightly changed image.
Reported an experience and feelings are unique. Becomes yours. Part of your life.
Feel it ROAR into the past, make you feel alive.

And only I have to thank all those who have given me encouragement to the www.bmwmotos.com in its paragraph of "Clasicas", who helped me, my wife, Forum and especially ask pardon my children by stealing some... well, many hours with them. It has been an intense, and with a result to my eyes, project wonderful. "Exciting every step of the way, I would say".

Jaime Zarzuela.

773725087_b8jWM-M.jpg

773724974_spxxM-M.jpg

773725043_e3Xgb-M.jpg

773725043_e3Xgb-M.jpg

773725043_e3Xgb-M.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday, January 26

World Superbike/MotoGP/AMA Calendar

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Paolo Flammini positive about the season ahead.

worldsbk.com: Yamaha pairing well placed after official tests

cdnsuperbike.com: Szoke chosen as Inside Track Motorcycle Racer of the Year

AMA Pro Racing

roadracingworld.com: AMA President Rob Dingman interview Part 2: Answering the question, why did the AMA screw over AHRMA?

Formula 1 and 

usgpe.com: USF1 Team announces Jose Maria Lopez as driver for 2010 season
US F1 Team announced they have signed the former Renault F1 Team test driver to race with them in the 2010. Now they just need to build him a car.

formula1.com: Q&A with McLarenÔÇÖs Martin Whitmarsh

scuderiatororosso.com: Reserve drivers announced.

On the Street

FWIW:

Comments by the video's producer: This video shows my own techniques for riding my BMW K1100 LT Motorcycle on ice and snow. They've kept me safe all these years.

I don't use any special tyres, just normal road tyres, however I do lower the tyre pressure. I normally run with around 40psi, but I drop it down to around 33psi for these conditions.

I'm a Medical Despatch Rider so I don't have the option of taking a car to work. And if I don't ride, I don't get paid.

If you decide to use any of the advice in the video or this description, you do so at your own risk! Just take it slow and smooth and you'll be ok.

Have fun and stay safe!

http://www.madstu.net/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_gmDuJEAyuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_gmDuJEAyuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CyrilHuzeBlog sent me on a trip down memory lane. I have fond memories of a desk top steam engine I had when I was a sprout. My dad and uncle went together and bought it form me as a birthday present. I am certain they used my birthday as an excuse to buy a toy for them to play with themselves. We built a number of Rube Goldberg contraptions for it to run. I wish this had been around when I was a kid. From Hammacher Sclemmer:

774069925_oZn2y-O.jpg

Their catalog describes it as
This is the fully operational, internal combustion V-twin engine that is optimally balanced for minimum vibration and smooth operation up to 1,500 rpm. Made by a German engineering company, it is built using two aluminum 1 1/2 cc cylinders and stainless steel exhaust pipes. After filling its reservoir with butane (commonly available at drug stores), the engine is started by turning its solid brass flywheel. Its piezo magneto attaches to a timing disc that is precisely calibrated to send an electrical impulse to the two spark plugs that ignite the fuel within each cylinder. The individual movements of the valve rods, crosshead, and crankshaf**** are clearly visible at lower revolutions, and its efficient puttering equals the noise output of a kitchen blender. Its non-toxic exhaust allows you to operate the engine in a ventilated room. It operates up to 10 minutes from a full tank.
7" L x 5" W x 9" H. (5 1/2 lbs.)
The list price is $1000.00 CA.

BMW PressClub France Translation by Bing ÔÇô sometimes computerspeek makes you giggle

In France, BMW Motorrad has better resisted the market and BMW sees its positions improve in 2009.
Press release

2009: Year of transition for BMW Motorrad. On a 500 cc motorcycle market and + BMW Motorrad Group ends at-10,1 %, while BMW Motorrad France decreased 7 % with 7462 units (against 8019 units in 2008) and sees again its market share continue to 8.2 % at end 2009 from 8 % in late 2008 (7.7 % has end 2007). BMW France is the 3rd market for BMW motorcycle in the world.

Making it the worlds best selling commercial jetliner the ever (R1200 (standard and Adventure), GS R1200 RT and R1200 R) are known to take a long life cycle and to evolve by successive improvements allowing to create customer loyalty and keep a good resale value. In 2009, BMW sold 10 6 were R series boxers (7 out of 10 in 2008). 2 are series F, bicylindres and the other 2 are K, 4-cylinder series.

Full carton for what's new in 2009, each model K 1300 GT, 1300 R, K 1300 S & F 800 R K has exceeded widely its objective. Please note that resale of opportunity for excellent 1200 GT, K 1200 R, K 1200 S K allowed also many new customers join brand.
With regard to sales, BMW Motorrad France placed on a stable crisis release year. Given what's new in 2010, BMW Motorrad France, supported by its network should beat a new record year for BMW in France and strive for 9 % market share of 500 cc and +.
Sport side, 2010 will be a year under the sign of renewal and dynamism, "Welcome to planet power", this will be the first full S 1000 RR marketing year. On the ground with the Michelin and network partnership, the BMW S 1000 RR alignera in the world endurance EWC, with talented French drivers (S?®bastien Gimbert, Matthieu Lagrive, Erwan Nigon) but also in FSBK

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

774121043_8yhZH-M.jpg

Ouch! Hope Xaus didn't get hurt with that get off. That makes me cringe. He's past his quota of crashes.

Corser has had a reputation for keeping the rubber side down. I agree they have some development work to do so he can push the edge 'safely'.

Wednesday, January 27

World Superbike/MotoGP/AMA Calendar

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Aprilia testing at Valencia hit by bad weather

YouTube: World Superbike Emotional Video ÔÇô Misano 2009
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKOfBvs4an8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKOfBvs4an8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ultimatemotorcyclin.com: 2010 Mille Superbike Ultimate Experience

MotoGP

Provisional Entry Lists:
MotoGP
Moto2
125cc GP

AMA Pro Racing

roadracingworld.com: AMA President Rod Dingman interview Part 3: Answering the question, Where does the AMA go from here?

asphaltandrubber.com: John Hopkins to race in AMA for 2010

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Q&A with Mercedes Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg

formula1.com: Brawn, Fran and Haug on Mercedes bight future

On the Street

Bikes in the Fast Lane: 3D motorcycle puzzles

motorcycledaily.com: Honda global motorcycle sales hold steady as North American sales plummet.
The Motorcycle Daily article is good. The numbers come directly from Honda. JAMA has yet to release its December report. Apparently there is a shortage of red ink needed to print the sales decline figures. But seriously; combine their analysis in paragraph three with what you are reading about consumer credit problems and you will understand my belief that the recovery in the motorcycle segment in NA will be a long time coming.

la-nouvelle-yamaha-fz8-s-inspire-fortement-de-l-actuelle-fz1-

motorevue.com: Official premier photos of the Yamaha FZ8

The French magazine site has photos and pricing estimates for YamahaÔÇÖs new naked bike. Announced at Ôé¼ 7 999 introductory price, the new Yamaha Roadster costs 9 Ôé¼ more than TriumphÔÇÖs segment leading Street Triple and 500 Ôé¼ more than a Z750. No information on US availability or pricing. Motocilismo.it has more information on what riders will be getting with all those Ôé¼.

sportrider.com: 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14, give them what they want!

Recall:
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
KAWASAKI / KL250G9F 2009
Manufacturer: KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A. Mfr's Report Date: JAN 11, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V016000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected:

Summary:
KAWASAKI IS RECALLING MODEL YEAR 2009 SUPER SHERPA KL250G9F MOTORCYCLES. ON ELIGIBLE UNITS, BLOCKAGE OF AN OIL PASSAGE IN THE ENGINE MIGHT RESTRICT OIL FLOW TO THE CYLINDER HEAD.

Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN THE ENGINE LOSING POWER AND EVENTUALLY STOPPING WHICH COULD CREATE THE RISK OF A CRASH WHILE OPERATING THE VEHICLE RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE OIL SYSTEM AND REPAIR THE CYLINDER HEAD FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 25, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KAWASAKI CONSUMER SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT 866-802-9381.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

No report on US or Canadian availability yet for the following parts mentioned in this press release. The release has shown up on most of the European PressClub sites. From

BMW PressClub Portugal

Exclusivity and high performance. Supersports parts program for the BMW S 1000 RR.

ÔÇó 27.01.2010
ÔÇó Informa?º?úo ?á Imprensa

Munich. When BMW Motorrad presented the new S 1000 RR in the last year, many fans of extremely dynamic motorcycles saw it as a dream come true. The sportiest and most powerful BMW of all times is consistently geared to the needs of ambitious riders and fascinating even in its serial production trim with numerous exclusive features previously only used for racing purposes.
Now BMW Motorrad is bringing out a series of HP parts which will further enhance the exclusive character and performance of the new S 1000 RR.

HP carbon add-on parts.
With a wide selection of HP carbon add-on parts, BMW Motorrad now offers the option to visually enhance the S 1000 RR according to personal preferences:

- HP carbon wheel cover, front
- HP carbon wheel cover, rear
- HP carbon badge carrier
- HP carbon fuel tank trim panel
- HP carbon tail-hump cover
- HP carbon chain guard
- HP carbon heel guard
- HP carbon engine spoiler

The HP carbon add-on parts made of especially impact-resistant HP carbon replace the relevant standard parts and have a UV-resistant 3-layer high-gloss paint finish which not only provides outstanding brilliance and depth but also protects from yellowing.

Since the serial production trim components of the S 1000 RR are already perfectly optimised in terms of function and weight reduction, the focus in developing the HP carbon add-on parts was not on weight reduction but primarily on visual and qualitative considerations.

In terms of design, a deliberate decision was made not to apply the HP label to all HP carbon add-on parts as standard. An HP label is optionally available for most HP carbon add-on parts (except for the HP carbon heel protector and chainguard). This means that customers can decide for themselves how they wish the HP carbon add-on parts to look.

The black plastic label (22 x 9 mm) featuring the HP emblem in silver metallic can be stuck onto the HP carbon add-on parts by the dealer or customer. On the service data DVD RSK (Repair & Service Data BMW Motorrad) there is an overview which indicates which label position BMW Motorrad recommends for each HP carbon add-on part.

Foldable HP brake lever and HP clutch lever.

As a high-quality alternative to the serial production handlebar levers in terms of functionality, material and design, the range of HP fittings offers levers for the brake and clutch with additional functions.

The HP handlebar levers can be folded upwards, which much reduces the risk of bending or braking in the event of a fall. What is more, the distance between the handlebar grip and the handle can be adapted to individual ergonomic needs with a number of adjustment levels.

The especially high-quality finish of the HP handlebar levers also provides the S 1000 RR with a visual enhancement in this area.

HP footrest system.

The HP rider footrest system is CNC-milled in highly rigid aluminium alloy, anodised in titanium, red and colourless and provides a wide range of adjustment options for specific adaptation to the rider's individual ergonomic needs. Height and length adjustment permit a more precise upward/downward and front/rear setting as compared to the serial production footrest. A scale on the footrest system facilitates a preferably symmetrical positioning of the shift and brake lever side.

The pedal component of the brake lever side is longitudinally adjustable to three positions, while the position of the shift lever remains constant in relation to the footrest. This means when the footrest is adjusted, the shift lever is automatically altered along with it. The various adjustment positions of the pedal component enable riders to individually adapt the gap between the pedal component and the shift lever to their personal boot size for optimum shifting.

On the brake lever side, the pedal component is also longitudinally adjustable to three positions. However unlike the shift lever, the brake lever does not change its position with the footrest. Here the longitudinal adjustment primarily serves to adapt the position of the brake lever in relation to the footrest.

The HP footrest system is around 20 mm narrower and provides greater banking clearance. What is more, the knurling of the footrests - which are not foldable, unlike those in the serial production system - provide further enhanced sure-footedness, especially on wet surfaces.

The high-quality carbon heel protector was specially developed for the HP footrest system and is smaller than the HP carbon heel protector available as an accessory for the serial production footrest system. The latter cannot be combined with the HP rider footrest system.

HP lap timer.

For race track use, the serial production instrument panel of the S 1000 RR itself allows data such as maximum and minimum speed, lap times etc. to be recorded over more than 50 laps. However, here the rider has to confirm each lap start manually by pressing the headlamp flasher.

The HP lap timer consists of an infrared receiver on the motorcycle and an infrared transmitter on the track and allows automatic lap recording with no manual confirmation required. In this way individual laps are precisely defined, while at the same time providing increased comfort and safety for the rider.

What is more, one infrared transmitter by the track can be used simultaneously by several riders (each with their own infrared receiver). It is recommended that only one infrared transmitter should be used on the race track, otherwise incorrect lap times may possibly be recorded. The range of the transmitter is 20 metres.

The 12-volt current supply for the infrared transmitter is provided by a conventional 12-volt battery as used in motorcycles or automobiles. Alternatively, a conventional 12-volt mains adaptor available from an electronics store can also be used. A connection cable with a plug for cigarette lighter or motorcycle socket is included. An adaptor cable is required for connection to an external battery.
The infrared receiver is housed in a weatherproof casing and is connected to the connector of the accessory wiring harness. The connector is easily accessible so the infrared receiver can be removed conveniently at any time for anti-theft protection.

In addition to the S 1000 RR with standard instrument panel, the following BMW motorcycles can also be retrofitted with the HP lap timer in conjunction with HP instrument panel:

sportrider.com: Riding Skills Series ÔÇô On the Gas

visordown.com: Metzeler announces new five-zone motorcycle tire

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

Via: Enthusiasticus

774707612_YXLGE-M.jpg

Back