• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Wednesday, 2 March

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg
Members with Birthdays Today

SBK

crash.net: Corser encouraged despite difficult opener

bikespportnews.com: “It’s a new bike and we’re realistic” reckons Sykes

MotoGP

bbc.co.uk: Testing times in Sepang

motogp.com: Nakamoto [HRC Exec VP] – “ Lots of small improvements”

eurosport.yahoo.com: Spies confirdent of early race pace

fim-live.com: Dorna and MotorLand Aragon agree extention until 2016

Formula 1

formula1.com: Q&A – Bernie Ecclestone on Bahrain, Vettel, rain making and more

bbc.co.uk: Lewis Hamilton and Jensen Button admit to car worries
McLaren has me all bollixed up. I saw Hamilton as a strong contender this year; especially if Red Bull lets Vettle and Webber duke it out again.

Other Racing

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Spain – Jerez racing circuit to close?

On the Street

HFL: The trouble with the BMw K 1600 GT

Suzuki has been having troubles in many showrooms and most recently with recalls. However, in India Feb sales jum 25%

roadracingworld.com: Zero Motorcycles introduces first street model with removable power pack

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sf5U52aGupE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motorcycle-usa.com: Harley’s Kansas City workers approve contract

thekneeslieder.com: Harley-Davidson upgrading assembly plant in India to complete factory using local components

The Mothership

The Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este sets out its road map for the future.
• Press Release
Munich/Geneva. The Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este is the world’s most tradition-laden beauty contest for automobiles. A tradition of this kind demands to be nurtured, something the President of the Concorso d‘Eleganza Villa d’Este and Director of BMW Group Classic, Karl Baumer, is very much aware of: “This kind of tradition can only thrive through ongoing development; in other words, it’s a matter of cultivating a tradition of change, so to speak.” The best-placed person to judge this is Dott. Jean-Marc Droulers, President of Villa d’Este S.p.A. Since the Concorso was revived in the 1990s, he has been the event’s regular host. “Together with BMW, we have steadily developed the Concorso further, always with an eye to maintaining its unique nature and not succumbing to arbitrariness.” There are many definitive examples of this cautious approach to its development, such as the introduction of the Concept Car competition, the initiation of the Design Talk, and the opening up of the Concorso to a wider audience with the public day on Sunday. 2011 sees a whole quartet of key changes: the new date at the end of May, the introduction of a second public day on Saturday, the first Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este for motorcycles and, last but not least, a high-end car sale by RM Auction held during the Concorso.…More

1203211761_QL8rT-L.jpg

I always enjoy the posters for this event.

Geneva, 1 March 2011. On Tuesday, the 81st International Geneva Motor Show (CH) provided the stage for MINI to unveil the MINI John Cooper Works S2000 – the latest milestone on the road to the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC). This is the forerunner to the MINI John Cooper Works WRC, which the MINI WRC Team will entrust to drivers Dani Sordo (ES) and Kris Meeke (GB) for its debut in the premier category of rallying in Rally Italy from 5 – 8 May 2011. Further entries are planned in the WRC events in Finland, Germany, France, Spain and Great Britain. Private teams will line up with the Super2000 version of the car at the end of March in Rally Portugal.…more

1203213301_EfGVu-M.jpg

FWIW

I just really liked this picture

1203209237_Ut2mm-M.jpg

Reference::

Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

NHTSA.dot.gov Vehicle Recalls RSS

MSF Question of the Day: QOD: When it starts to rain, it is usually safest to do what?

MSF Tip[/url]:
Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Some bikes take longer to get on the road in spring than others.

1203211815_scfNW-L.jpg

From Le Container

Last edited:
Love this new addition, thanks. Great daily post, I read it as often as I can.

Yes, love it too!

Go back & check it out though, There have been link errors in that particular part almost daily. Usually I can see the [\URL] at the end & a at the beginning.

Yes, love it too!

Go back & check it out though, There have been link errors in that particular part almost daily. Usually I can see the [\URL] at the end & a at the beginning.

Please feel free to PM me with link problems whenever you see them and I will fix them as soon as I am able.

I normally post at around O'dark-thirty each day on my way out to work. When I come home from there I check for problems that have been reported. If there aren't any I go about the rest of my life collecting things along the way. The post is made up of things gleaned from a mass of RSS feeds, newsletters, Google allerts, twitter, and other sources I find. Editing the compilation of what I have looked at and post is my weak point. That is were I could use some help.

Glad you all enjoy it, thanks for the comments.

P.S.
Some of the MSF QOD problems may be the result of no post by MSF that day. I use a template to lay out the post and sometimes forget to edit out things with no entries. Told you I was a lousy editor.

haha, awesome! I read it every day... If I could figure out how to PM & include a Snagit clip, that would be easy to tell. Takes me only a minute to Snagit & paste. I'll try it next time!

Glad you all enjoy it, thanks for the comments.

There are four things that I do that are etched in concrete when I get around my computers...

1. Check e-mail
2. Check business based running systems

and the number three thing is:

3. Check what Mika has been up to

Imma devoted racing fan... and I have to come here for my daily fix!

"Hi... My name is Mark... And I'm a Bench Racing and the Morning Reads addict!"

oh... and number 4?

4. Carry on with whatever you need to do and be quick about it...

Keep those cards and letters coming guys... and you to Mika... "lousy editor" my right foot... just keep this thing going for us addicts. :D

Thursday, 3 March

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

Thanks again for the comments. They help me hone the posts.

SBK

worldsbk.com: Melandri gets into the Superbike groove

bikesportnews.com: Donington Park gets final seal of approval from FIM

MotoGP

austosport.com: Honda says no quick fixes in 2011 bike

Formula 1

espnf1.com: Regulation changes will favor smart drivers
But how will they use them. The last time KERS appeared its major application was as a defensive tool. Will it and adjustable wings be anything else this time around?

autosport.com: Stewart taken ill on flight
Sir Jackie is expected to make a full recovery according to follow up reports.

Other Racing

speedtv.com: Team Iron Horse BMW

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Z-TeD9Minw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

bmw-motorrad.co.uk: BMW K 1600 GT SE
We haven’t received the regular edition and their already out with a special?

motorcyclenews.com: BMW G 650 GS first ride

motorcycle.com: 2012 BMW K 1200 GTL review
Includes video – watch your audio settings.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBxaicGRUQQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBxaicGRUQQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

The Mothership

High-tech for your head - The BMW Motorrad Helmet. Learn more at bmw-motorrad.com – RR Helmets

BMW Canada reports best ever February.

[but]

Motorrad.
BMW Motorrad Canada reported 60 retails in February, a decrease of 14 per cent over the same month last year…more

The BMW Group at the 81st Geneva Motor Show from 3rd to 13th of March 2011.
…more.

FWIW

ROTOR RUST

The WorldSBK opener has come and gone with an auspicious first race for Haslam. The rest of his teammates showed a bit of rust on their rotors that will have to disappear if they are going to make my prediction come true. I found I had a bit of rotor rust to wear off as I watched live timing and checked the results reports from WorldSBK over the race weekend. Before the race at Donington I thought I would use some FWIW space and explain some of the things I look for in the live timing reports.

Live Timing and Result Reports

Each of the three racing forms covered in this thread have their own variation of live timing and reports available to the online viewer. I am most familiar with the F1 version but the report package for WSBK is the best overall of the three. The differences make sense in the individual application. Terms may change from form to form but the concepts I'll discuss carry over to each. Phillip Island 2011 is a great race to cut your live timing teeth on because it has so many facets with one major simplifying factor: Carlos Checa.

Benchmark

The first live session is a bit of a free for all. I pick a rider to follow and see how they fit into the field of rides. After the first session P1 for the previous session provides the benchmark numbers to start the next session. When going back to analyze any session P1 provides the benchmark for that sessions analysis. What these numbers tell you is still more art than science for me but I have a ball with them. So what did I look at this weekend?

Checa makes Phillip Island 2011 a great case study because he is the benchmark for each session with the exception of the pre-race warm-up session which was led by Corser.

There are a variety of numbers on the various sheets that work together. Today lets look a the far right hand column of many – Max Speer, but before we do that its pop quiz time.

Q: The BMW S 1000 RR is
A. Too fast
B. Just right
C. Too slow
D. Excuse me I don't care how fast you are I don't do it on the first race.

Before you commit yourself to an answer lets talk about speed; after all 'Speed is King' in racing right? Hold on. Let's ask which speed is king first.

Max Speed

This is the most miss understood metric in racing. Max Speed is not the race metric King in any form of racing; one of the most important perhaps but not the most important.

In the max speed crazed world of drag racing victory in match races does not always go to the best terminal trap speed. In that world factors such as reaction time, the ability to link up all those horsepower and the track to launch rider and vehicle can result in a winning lower speed.

The road racing equivalent is the race to turn one at the start of a race. Timing the starting lights and hooking up the power is the most important combination to win the race to turn one. Many times the racer with the highest speed into turn one ends up off track there or in the next corner and in the process overrunning any reasonable racing line to negotiate track and traffic. If the rider is able to stay on the track they will have grabbed a large hand full of brake while their opponents on a better race line are twisting their wrists thus they find themselves dropping down the race chart. Now they have more riders to catch and pass before they can challenge for a podium slot; if at all.

In road racing speed is important but the ability to manage it and turn the bike then return to an increased speed is most important. In simple terms it is not how much you have it is what you can do with it which counts.

Back to our quiz:

The Answer is E. A and C sort of

I'll deal with the 'sort of' part of E in a couple of paragraphs when we look at Exceptions to the Rule. For now let’s look at the BMW riders. If you were to plot out their max speed along with our benchmark you would end up with a bell curve of sorts. The x axis would be lap times and the y axis max speed. Checa’s would by at the x y intersect and the four BMW riders would form the curve behind him.

In most sessions the higher the max speed of Haslam or Corser in relation to Checa the further down the grid chart they were. The BMW Motorsport S1000RR is too fast to deal with the transitions from straightaway speeds and corners.

When BMW took the S 1000 RR to the track in 2009 it took the crown as power monster and set tongues wagging with its top speed capabilities. It also set tongues wagging with its launch and traction control problems. In 2010 changes to the black box helped some but they clearly were not solved. The 2011 season began with most race fans convinced that at the SBK level BMW couldn't write black box control code to save their racing souls. I agree that for the first two seasons their salvation may have been in doubt but in 2011 I see something different.

In about the first season and a half I regularly noticed the top speed of the S 1000 RR as at the top or near the top of the field. At some point I started seeing the speed drop and the standings in the various race weekend sessions improve. What the max speed of a hypothetical perfectly set up race winning S 1000 RR for this past weekend is up in the air. The point here is the gap between Team Motorrad's and Checa makes their S 1000 RR too fast.

BMW Italia is on the back side of the bell curve. Their max speeds are often down in comparison to their German team counterparts. Why aren’t they moving up the grid if they are closer to Checa’s speed?

My belief is at this point they too are too fast. This is based more on things I will discuss in future posts than their max speed. Right now I will simply say they are still grabbing for as much speed in the straightaway as they can because they don't have cornering the bike sorted out yet. At the same time they are too slow. They are not getting enough speed to compensate for those slow cornering speeds.

Over compensating does not move you up the grid to win races. Nor does it help to win a builder title. Too fast or too slow BMW Italia has some work to do to find the right speed.

Exception to the Rule

Max Biaggi is the exception to this rule. He consistently turns in the top max speed and is able to attain great grid and podium positions.

The Aprilia is the power monster on the WSBK grid. It took that unofficial title from BMW in 2010.

Biaggi has a riding style that matches up with the bikes power allowing him to muscle his way up the grid chart. In 2009 he was down on power from the BMWs but was able to figure out how to muscle his way around. In 2010 Aprilia gave him more muscle in the engine and he turned that into a title. This year they continue to work on electronics and the chassis. It is a scary to think of what may be in store for the rest of the field if and when they get power chassis and electronics all dialed in for Biaggi. This is why I see him on the top at the end of this season.

Right Speed is King

Any race weekend the max speed will be but one thing I look at. The answer that I am looking for is what is it the right speed? During Sunday's races Checa would motor around the track in the upper 290kph range while opening up an ever increasing gap over those who were chasing him with max speeds in the 310kph range. He was consistently able to set himself up for the right line into and out of the corners by balancing straightaway speed with cornering speed. At Phillip Island the combination of Checa and Ducati combined to find the right speed with dominating results.

The next time I'll go to THE GAP. No we're not buying jeans nor have a dentist fix our front teeth. We will look gap between the ideal lap and the actual lap times to figure out what that means and how that impacts the gap between your rider’s lap and the benchmark. In that process you will start to see why I remain positive about the S 1000 RR this season.

MSF Question of the Day: QOD Which of the following is a feature of a shatter resistant face shield?

MSF Tip of the Day: Tip To make yourself more visible, consider adding reflective tape to whatever you most frequently wear riding.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Hammarhead Volta via bikeexif.com

]
1204113394_dLqFr-O.jpg

Bikeexif: “The current crop of electric bikes does nothing for me, but there is something interesting about the Volta. Probably because it’s the antithesis of what you’d expect. “

What should an electric bike look like?

Some years ago motorcycling went through the Honda Huricane and Ducati Paso period. Honda was hiding welds and an ugly engine bay under all their body work. It was cheaper to provide the rider with sleek bodywork than do what was needed to make the engine bay look good. Ducati was remaking its image trying to look modern. The bodywork was sleek and like Honda covered sins and shortcomings in the process. Many of us missed the bikes of old wanting the visceral feeling we got when we saw the engine.

Will a battery pack and electric motor ever match the look of a Vincent, Triumph or BMW Roadster? I doubt it yet wonder what should they look like.

Friday, 4 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

Formula 1

formula1.com: Pre-season analysis – reading the formbook harder than ever

reuters.com: Ecclsotne’s fake rain gets a damp reception

Other Racing

motoaus.com: Low cost road racing hits Australia
450cc Australian road racing series

On the Street

MOTORCYCLISONLINE.COM: 2011 BMW K 1600 GT

tonyfoale.com: Motorcycle dynamics seminar LA, USA April 19-20th 2011
Author of Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design is giving a seminar I would love to attend. I found this information at TheKneeSlier.com. They have been to one of his seminars before and wrote up a seminar review.

Video Motorcyclenews.com does a first ride impression of the KawasakiW800. We don’t get it but there seems a great deal of interest in it. Better than a Bonneville?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BoJkfvfUOyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motosprin.it: Exclusive interview with Claudio Domenicali – [Ducati’s boss]

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tFy1r4Htd6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

An interview to launch a thousand rumors -

motociclismo.it: Hendrik Von Kuenheim: "The future of the BMW 6-cylinder, but could also be 3"

The title is a tease. Motociclismo has speculated at length about a return of a three cylinder BMW created from DNA slices of other engines. It sliced on cylinder off the S 1000 RR’s engine and dreamed of a S 600 RR. Most recently it put together a photohop version of a K 800 R that sported half a K1600 engine.

Von Kuenheim gives all sorts of teasing answers over the entire existing range of bikes
- Concept 6 could be a possibility
- Diesel engines have been looked at but…
- He wishes the C version of the R had not been dropped. It will not come back but…
- More talk of scooters
- Electric scooters and bikes

In 2008 the BMW Motorrad production strategy had been laid out to take it to 2012 setting the stage for what is to come after that. The coming EICMA could be a watershed show for BMW.

Let the rumors begin.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Spy photo of Honda’s new maxi scooter project

401318907_SEQsG-L.jpg

Saturday, 5 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

SBK

worldsbk.com: No looking back for Fabrizio and Suzuki

worldsbk.com: All systems go for Donington round

newsandstar.co.uk: PenrithÔÇÖs Paul Bird frustrated at start to World Superbike Championship

MotoGP

eurosport.yahoo.comp/url]: Spies excited about the future of MotoGP

Cashing in on MotoGP
[url= http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorcycles/ducati-monster-valentino-rossi-edition-30862/]indiancarsbikes.in
: Fringe benefits ÔÇô Ducati Monster Valentino Rossi ÔÇô Nicky Hayden Edition

Formula 1

formula1.com: Vettel: Title hasnÔÇÖt changed my life too much

Ferrari.com: The name changes but not the sense
To paraphrase Shakespeare, what remains to be seen is if a F 150 is by any other name is still a truck

f1fanatic.co.uk: Red Bull exploit ÔÇ£loopholeÔÇØ in diffuser rules

Other Racing

bikeadline.com.au: Husqvarna Enduro WEC Team 2011

HFL: My first motorcycle race

Yamaha-racing.com: Frossard ÔÇô ÔÇ£I knew MX1-GP was the direction for my carreerÔÇØ

On the Street

motorcyclenews.com: return of the ÔÇÿreal bike?ÔÇÖ Motus MS-01 revealed

thekneeslider.com: Motus MST rolls out from behind the curtains

nytimes.com: Motus ÔÇô Sport-touring American style

2012 Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Tenere action US official video
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zr0KJlPKDOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B-oep3vabek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ultimatemotorcycling.com: 2011 BMW K 1600 GTL first ride

visordown.com: 2011 v 2010 Triumph Speed Triple

allaboutbikes.com: First look Michelin Pilot Road 3

zigwheels.com: BMW boots

ydr.com: Harley-Davidson needs flexible workers

roadracingworld.com: Motorcycle safety think tank recommends improvements in rider training

motorcycle-usa.com: Congressional motorcycle caucus grows

motorcycledaily.com: Bill introduced to block motorcycle only checkpoints

fortune.cnn.com: Motorcycle instincts and start ups

The Mothership

BMW Motorrad wins the readerÔÇÖs vote "Motorcycle of the year 2011ÔÇ£ of MOTORRAD magazine in four categories.
ÔÇó 04.03.2011
ÔÇó Press Release

M??nchen/Dortmund. Winning the categories "TouringÔÇ£, "SportÔÇ£, "Enduro/SupermotoÔÇ£ as well as "NakedÔÇ£ and scoring three more podium places BMW Motorrad achieved another outstanding result after 2010 at MOTORRAD magazineÔÇÖs 13th readerÔÇÖs vote ÔÇ£Motorcycle of the year 2011ÔÇØ.
[/url=https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/ca/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=21&id=T0098995EN&left_menu_item=node__2261&status=published]more[/url]

This is the first official clip of the new BMW M5. Dr. Kay Segler, president of BMW M GmbH explains more about the car.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4ynMqBTux0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

This past week I was watching a science show and DisneyÔÇÖs Man in Space series was mentioned. Sunday evening was spent with Walt. I was just 4 in 1955 so I am not certain if I remember this form the first run or from reruns but I was fascinated by the Man in Space series from Disney.

Keep in mind these clips are more than 50 years old but they launched millions of dreams and more than a few real rockets when some of us grew up. Alright I never grew up. When some of you grew up.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/75vX6O8paGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mAYyEsUn87w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uYaJ7hNKuu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PdgHvuCEWnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wtIpcwLjRs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBi69V8oNuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sy0fafgajWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EsVD11FE3oQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MSF Question of the Day: QOD: Which of the following correctly applies to eye protection?

MSF Tip of the Day Tip: Maintain reserve traction by making brake, throttle, and steering inputs smooth and appropriate for the conditions.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

The new Brough Superior via bikeexif.com

1205899813_p4JqJ-O.jpg

1205899831_zCkXj-M.jpg

1205899842_UabnT-O.jpg

1205899857_Jj8zM-O.jpg

I was beginning to wonder where Foghorn Leghorn went, but Man in Space was an unexpected and very pleasant presentation. Somehow there was time for all 8 videos, fantastic.

Sunday, 6 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

SBK

Magazine – Phillip Island
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bPTpXoGAlkg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

reuters.com: Motocycling – Rossi eyes future in Superbikes

WSS

MotoGP

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gY_siVSm-BU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Formula 1

gurardian.co.uk: Lewis Hamilton says new tyres will slow teams down

independent.co.uk: Mark Webber against Formula One fake rain proposal

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dtCnSlGKxJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Racing

On the Street

motociclismo.it: BMW K series history

bikeadvice.in: Indian bike sales figures for February 2011

webbikeworld.com: Bell Arrow helmet review

The Mothership

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d7i0ge8US3U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/BillGates_2011U-medium.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/BillGates-2011U.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1087&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=bill_gates_how_state_budgets_are_breaking_us_schools;year=2011;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;theme=bold_predictions_stern_warnings;theme=not_business_as_usual;theme=new_on_ted_com;event=TED2011;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/BillGates_2011U-medium.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/BillGates-2011U.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1087&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=bill_gates_how_state_budgets_are_breaking_us_schools;year=2011;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;theme=bold_predictions_stern_warnings;theme=not_business_as_usual;theme=new_on_ted_com;event=TED2011;"></embed></object>

MSF Question of the Day: QOD: If you’re being followed closely, which of the following is a good idea?

MSF Tip of the Day ]Tip: Be wary of overriding the headlight when riding at night. This is when your total braking distance exceeds the distance you can see.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

BMW Boxer / ducati hybrid from motorcyclepictureof theday.com
“This bike cost 3 month hard work, the weight is 180 kilo, 105HP, its look like a BMW, but it is an Ducati (because the frame is from a Duc!“

1205899770_2r6yE-M.jpg

1205899908_ubo8d-M.jpg

1205899935_qxegp-M.jpg

1205899992_NbnT7-M.jpg

Monday, 7 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

Formula 1

jamesallenonf1.com: On track action likely to be limited in 2011

Other Racing

1000 KM of Nurburgring 1956 Part 1
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/heZCj00gs9k&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/heZCj00gs9k&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/In2n5vHvKW4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/In2n5vHvKW4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

On the Street

Bikes in the Fast Lane has been a regular source in this thread and my previous versions. The author is closing for a time to be with his dying father. There is an option to post your comments and support.

2011 BMW K 1600 GT and GTL onboard/Franschhoek pass
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x6vGJkrQpLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

PressClub Deutschland Translation by Bing

BMW supports the introduction of E10 super fuel in Germany.
06.03.2011 Press release

BMW supported the introduction of E10 super fuel in Germany. This is also of the decision taken with the involvement of BMW and the auto industry during the legislative procedure.

Nothing has changed on the technical reviews, at the time taken for Europe and Germany.

The statements by Mr Br??ner on the subject of E10 use for BMW vehicles related specifically to countries with fuel qualities such as the one used in the EU, but on countries with significantly inferior fuel qualities.

This confirmed today evening on the current occasion Dr. Klaus Draeger, Chief Development Officer of the BMW Group.

"Contrary to media reports, current, otherwise, we reaffirm our statement that basically all BMW car models of all year of make the safe use of E10 fuels is possible."

Some a few older BMW vehicles need for reasons of Klopffestigkeit Super plus Ron 98. These vehicles are therefore independent of the ethanol content not for Super fuel. A corresponding list of vehicles was already published by the ADAC on 1 March this year.

"All previous oil change intervals prescribed by us are and remain unchanged, regardless of the use of E10 fuel".

FWIW

ted.com
<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/WaelGhonim_2011X-medium.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/WaelGhonim-2011.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1086&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=wael_ghonim_inside_the_egyptian_revolution;year=2011;theme=war_and_peace;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;event=TED2011;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/WaelGhonim_2011X-medium.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/WaelGhonim-2011.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1086&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=wael_ghonim_inside_the_egyptian_revolution;year=2011;theme=war_and_peace;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;event=TED2011;"></embed></object>

Augmented reality at the Cambridge Science Festival
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ESphPCAsnDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MSF Question of the Day: QOD: What should you do if a parked car begins to pull away from the curb as you approach?

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From Caf?® Beeners: 1985 BMW R 80 RT

1208015050_jkzXi-L.jpg

1208014998_HTKnU-L.jpg

http://m1ka.smugmug.com/Other/2011-...o-star-wars-01-600x395/1208015055_KwYvF-S.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday, 8 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

SBK

worldsbk.com: Rea given all clear by doctors

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9uDtQGlmbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Motogp

motogp.co m: Venice hosts LCR Honda teamÔÇÖs 2011 launch

motomatters.com: the 2012 MotoGP Revolution ÔÇô MotoGP vs WSBK

Formula 1

autosport.com
; Final test to reveal true tyre picture

eurosport.yahoo.com: F1 to fast for intellectual property rows

On the Street

visordown.com: Ducati ÔÇô New superbike confirmed. Scooter denied

myfaxatlanta.com: Motorcycle traffic light bill proposed

cyrilhuzeblog.com: How Royal Enfield is marketing itself in India

The Mothership

A new lightweight boot for racing & performance riding - the Security Evo G3 Boot more

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tmHRS72KuLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/AnthonyAtala_2011-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/AnthonyAtala-2011.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1088&introDuration=0&adDuration=0&postAdDuration=0&adKeys=talk=anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney;year=2011;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=might_you_live_a_great_deal_longer;theme=medicine_without_borders;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;event=TED2011;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/AnthonyAtala_2011-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/AnthonyAtala-2011.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1088&introDuration=0&adDuration=0&postAdDuration=0&adKeys=talk=anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney;year=2011;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=might_you_live_a_great_deal_longer;theme=medicine_without_borders;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;event=TED2011;"></embed></object>

MSF Question of the Day: Which of the following is a distinguishing characteristic of a responsible rider?

MSF Tip of the Day: At night, it helps to spot wild animals if your headlight is bright and aimed correctly

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

838413861_EV6rr-O.jpg

838413848_RQgrq-O.jpg

Wednesday, 9 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

SBK

roadracingworld.com: New technical partner for Suzuki Alstare World Superbike Team

worldsbk.com: Haga lays the groundwork for a competitive season ahead

MotoGP

paddoctalk.com: Rizla Suzuki ready for the final test

crash.net: Casey Stoner anticipates more aliens in 2011

redbull.com: Dani Pedrosa training days

autosport.com: Rossi changing riding style for Ducti

Formula 1

espnf1.com: McLaren nose buble sparks speculation

eurosport.com: Tech Talk ÔÇô what you need to know for 2011

Barcelona retuters.com: Weber fastest but McLaren showing improvement

Other Racing

Daniel Costilla. The future of roadracing is now
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_SnS8bTkGf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fia.com: World Motor Sport Council minutes

On the Street

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SQcW_C5FT_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ksat.com: Gas prices sparking motorcycle interest

The Mothership

dealernews.com: Husqvarna taps industry vet Sharon Richards as marketing coordingator

FWIW

From the Mustard Newsletter

MUSTARD: On the Leading Edge of Food Label Warnings

1210770438_Fsp8r-O.jpg

You can't be too careful when it comes to food labels. Mustards are leading the way in the fight to confuse, confound, and discombobulate consumers. Such as with the warnings found on a jar of Slimm & Nunne Sweet & Nicely Hot, shown at right. These are other actual warnings and suggested uses soon to be found on mustard products on your grocery shelves:
ÔÇó Do not use this mustard at temperatures below -50 degrees unless you are a polar bear.
ÔÇó Clinical studies on the effects on laboratory animals are a waste of time.
ÔÇó Apply this mustard directly to neckties of pompous men.
ÔÇó The Surgeon General has determined that this mustard is best taken internally and with minimal fuss.
ÔÇó This mustard may interfere with portable computers, especially if you open them up and smear the insides with gobs of the yellow stuff.
ÔÇó Texting while eating this mustard invariably makes your smart phone a messy phone.

MSF Question of the Day: Which of the following provides the best protection against a flying object?

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Matchles Rickman G50

1208014645_MnfNs-L.jpg

1208014813_mxeLL-L.jpg

1208014719_YQvqm-L.jpg

Takes me back!

Loved the Rickman in the Bike Candy section.

Takes me back to 1974 when I built my Rickman Honda up from scratch.
I order the Rickman Frame Kit from the UK and bought all the bits I needed to complete it as a stock machine for the first year. I spun a rod bearing and ended up building a full house roadrace Yoshimura Engine with a lot of hard to get
CR Honda racing parts.

I don't fold up that way any more but it was fun at the time!

Attachments

• Honda-CR750-Rickman-74-1.jpg
    Honda-CR750-Rickman-74-1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 246
Thursday, 19 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

SBK

worldsbk.com: Marinelli sums up Checa’s Island wins

MotoGP

fim-live.com: Interview with Casey Stoner

hondaproracing.com: Interview with Andrea Dovisioso – “We may have chances to fight for the championship”

motomatters.com: Rossi on the Ducati’s handling, his fans and World Superbikes

Formula 1

bbc.co.uk: Formula 1 testing in Barcelona, day two as it happened

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CnrEHOHCVEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

reutuers.com: New McLaren a letdown for Hamilton

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sfBDAVxwyKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Racing

roadracingworld.com: Orient Express supporting BMW Brute Horsepower Shootout during Daytona Bike Week

Pikes Peak has become one of the mandatory stops on the marketing trail for motorcycles in the Dual Sport/Super Moto class. BMW did it when they introduced the HP series. Checkout the online promo piece they are sending out or just watch the video for some fun at Pikes Peak.

Ducati unveils the Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak in celebration of the famous victory in the 2010 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race in Colorado.…more

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PST5GgfeM5k&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PST5GgfeM5k&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

In the very early eighties the smallest Japanese factory won the AMA World Superbike title. Kawasaki and Steady Eddie Lawson was the pilot. Lawson was a multiple Championship winner 250cc, 500cc and Superbike. He is one of the all time greats.
'He is Eddie' is from the Album 'Speed Thrills' by ICHINCHILLA

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EBnbYDDB9KE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/toLnF2h40GA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IaMYvyCyBDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

benzinga.com: How motorists can avoid collisions with motorcycles

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BGCQOEVCSCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VqIZeidHHyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a7-hM-Ow7_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

access-legal.co.uk: Technology used to cut motorbike accidents

The Mothership

BMW Group increases sales by 21.7% percent in February
For a second time in a row, BMW motorcycles reported a strong performance compared with last year. In February, global sales grew 22.5% to reach 6,720 motorcycles (prev. yr. 5,485). Year to date, the company sold 11,434 BMW motorcycles (+23%). The second motorcycle brand of the BMW Group, Husqvarna Motorcycles, delivered 902 motorcycles (+46.9%) to customers in February. Year to date, sales grew 46.1% to 1,264 motorcycles compared with the first two months of 2011. ....complete press release
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tmXiOW1ipCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9W7GxR8bNjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

motorcyclenews.com: Suzuki’s fuel cell scooter gets mass production approval – but should you want one?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wF9gXKeWAUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Should you want one? We may not have the option here in Fly-Over-Land, but the article and video clip are full of things to think about as we move into the unchartered waters of new power plants for two and four wheels for those of you who will.

BMW was an early champion of hydrogen power with the 7 Series cage. In the future they may be parked with fuel celled Burgman scooter in the hydrogen cul-de-sac of change. For its new scooter offerings BMW is putting out a traditional gas maxi scooter that will no doubt be followed by an electric scooter of some sort.

Purely from a rider’s perspective the Suzuki is down on power a bit but as the commentator points out he didn’t have to deal with the weight of all the batteries and electric scooter would entail. A few weeks ago I posted clips of the first electric superbike to participate against gas engine bikes in a full race. Power was not an issue and the bike pushed on to second place. What slipped buy with out comment by anyone is the 200lb weight penalty the bike had due to the battery pack. Once the novelty wears off will the reduced cost for charging an electric bike off set the chiropractor costs after you wrestle an electric bike out of a blocked in parking spot or your garage?

One weight that isn’t discussed often with new power plants for motorcycles is the wallet weight. We can debate the acquisition price threshold for entry into any level of bike. We do that now with gas BMWs. As the discussion progresses there is always someone who points out the acquisition price may be high but so is the resale making the cost of ownership not that different from other bikes.. There will always be early adopters of new forms of technology. The concern here is, will there be a critical mass of customers moving toward the bike you decide to adopt when you want to sell it? A clean well maintained Stanley Steamer may draw a good price at auction now but what about your alternative power plant scooter?

Cage pundits pushing alternative power plants suggest that buys become leasers for the near future. Changes in battery technology, KERS and other features will be changing so fast the only way for the consumer to protect themselves making a wrong turn into the technology cul-de-sac and be robbed is to lease. This may be sage advice for cage buyers but will bike buyers have that option?

Don’t get me wrong. I am excited about the alternatives we will get to play with in the future. I may always think a Norton Manx is the most beautiful bike ever built but have loved playing with new toys since I was a kid. Now I am just a big kid asking all sorts of questions until he gets a chance to get on the blinking thing , ride it and get that huge new toy grin on my face.

hellformotors.com: A motorcycle mechanics lament for the future

MSF Question of the Day: Motorcycle passengers should always do what while riding?

MSF Tip of the Day: Search - Evaluate - Execute. To Evaluate, plan how you're going to handle information or hazards gathered in the Search process.

Gasbuddy.com: Search for local gas prices along your trip route.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From the OttoNero blog

1211473470_7BGzc-L.jpg

Friday, 11 March

1204438976_WDmko-Ti.jpg

MotoGP

Suzuki-racing.com: 2011 Rizla Suzuki MotorGP machine revealed

motomatters.com: The saga of Rossi’s shoulder, and words for his rivals

motomatters.com: MotoGP 1000s to make debut at Mugello?

Formula 1

bbc.co.uk:
Ferrari and Red Bull pick each other as main rivals
…But…
reuters.com: Write off McLaren at our peril, says Whitmarsh

telegraph.co.uk: Robert Kubica Formula One future remains in the balance over a month after horrific car crash

Other Racing

fim-live.com: FIM to install research institute MotorLand Aragon

On the Street

thekneeslider.com: Motus MST and MST-R comfortable sportbikes

webbikeworld.com: Yamaha Super Tenere crash report

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=819862001001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xyIhqt7B3Zs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Twitter: Norton CEO Stuart Garner - fantastic news.... Norton gain EURO 3 approval for the 961 commando!!!!

The Mothership

BMW Group posts record earnings for 2010

• Press Release

Profit before tax rises to euro 4,836 million
Profit before financial result climbs to euro 5,094 million
Automobiles segment reports EBIT of euro 4,355 million
Record dividend of euro 1.30 per share proposed

…EBIT of euro 71 million for Motorcycles segment in 2010
Despite continuing unfavourable market conditions, the Motorcycles segment recorded sales volume, revenues and earnings growth in 2010. Revenues increased by 22.0% to euro 1,304 million (2009: euro 1,069 million), EBIT improved to euro 71 million (2009: euro 19 million) and the profit before tax rose to euro 65 million (2009: euro 11 million). In total, 110,113 BMW and Husqvarna brand motorcycles were sold in 2010 (2009: 100,358 units; +9.7%).…complete press release

BMW Motorsport presents the teams for its DTM project.

• Press Release

Munich, 10th March 2011. BMW Motorsport heralds a new era on its way entering the DTM. Development of the car has been running at full speed in Munich for some months now, as has the central preparation for the logistics and assembly of the race cars. Three teams, each lining up with two BMW M3 DTM cars, will be responsible for the races themselves: BMW Motorsport has enjoyed great success in production car racing in the past with both BMW Team RBM and BMW Team Schnitzer, and all those involved are hungry for more of the same. In Reinhold Motorsport GmbH they are joined by a new team still in its fledgling stage …complete press release

MSF Question of the Day: What should you do when passing other vehicles?

MSF Tip of the Day: Choose brightly colored clothing when possible to make yourself more visible. If you wear dark clothing, consider a reflective vest.

Gasbuddy.com: Search for local gas prices along your trip route.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy
NSU Sportmax
From BIKEEXIF

1212480602_rmE99-M.jpg

1212480585_Mdieo-M.jpg

1212480561_bmfqk-S.jpg

1212480545_gFwNv-O.jpg

Back