• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Thursday, January 28

World Superbike

worldsuperbike.com: New look BMW squad moves forward in Portuguese testing

MotoGP

Spies talks about MotoGP aims

Formula 1

Fromula1.com: Ferrari takes the wraps of its new car and FerrariÔÇÖs Marmorini and Tombazis on the F10ÔÇÖs design

On the Street

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Your posture on a motorcycle explained.

hellforleathermagazine.com: Honda UK bans VFR800 owners from testing Shamu
:scratch IÔÇÖm scratching my head not so much at the ban, which is a bit odd in itself, but because I wonder why a VFR800 owner would want to test it.

Bike Cruller

I have been reading about girder suspension lately. Vincent continued to develop it after others had switched to the now normal telescopic forks so familiar.

via: Vintagebike.co.uk

Vincent-Rapide-D-55.jpg

Friday, January 29

I have a change of pace for you today. Think of this post as a combination internet ride report and bike review.

I look at many motorcycle pictures as part of the process of picking the daily ÔÇÿBike CrullerÔÇÖ. Much of the time there is little or no information included with the pictures. When I am able, I track down links or as much information as possible to include with the picture. I call this purposefully wondering about the internet. I wonder then go and search.

The path the search takes is rarely linear. Rather normally there are all sorts of detours along the way as each leg of the ride opens up a new question to wonder and search about. For every link included in todayÔÇÖs post there were literally dozens of other paths taken in the process.

TodayÔÇÖs post started with two pictures and two names found on an Italian website. I fired up my search engine and went for a ride that took me back and forth in time while crossing four continents. In addition to travel there is food and motorcycles so I hope you enjoy it.

Bike Cruller

The night of July 3rd 2009 I tucked myself in bed and went to sleep with thoughts of the next dayÔÇÖs plans dancing in my head; a long ride a family BBQ and fireworks to end the day. South of the equator and half way round the world in Australia it was already the 4th of July. There riders were already playing out their version of my dreams but for different reasons.

On mid-winters day, they may have left Sydney headed north on the coast highway until they reached Highway 78 near Coffs Harbour then turned inland. The 200km stretch of road from Coffs Harbour to Armidale is known as the Waterfall Way and considered a classic touring ride. The road rises from the coast through the lush rainforest of AustraliaÔÇÖs Great Divide to the tablelands winding though wilderness deep gorges and picturesque countryside in the process and finishes in Armidales. Along the way there are plenty of places to take breaks to hike trails in the national park the road skirts or take pictures of waterfalls with great names like DorrigoÔÇÖs Dangar, Ebor, Wollomombi and Apsley. The road itself sounds like a great destination but on this Australian 4th of July it is the route to the real destination; JuanÔÇÖs Caf?® del Fuego in the town of Dorrigo.

773173706_vt6SV-S.jpg

Juan, I have yet to find his last name, is an Argentinean expatriate living in Australia who has built the caf?® that is every bikers dream lunch stop on a sporting ride. The regular menu looks perfect and combines a number of simple dinner traditions with an Argentinean flair.

Start with Anti-Pasto
773170377_QWcaG-S.jpg

or Argentinean Pastries
773170511_5bMLq-S.jpg

For an entr?®e perhaps Fish and Chips a Steak Sandwich or Argentinean Sausages

773173425_Scurd-S.jpg

773173988_t6SoT-S.jpg

773170448_6txp9-S.jpg

They even have a Works Burger for Yanks longing for home.

773174037_GG78j-S.jpg

To top all this off, or if all you want are pastries and coffee drinks Juan has you covered.

773173510_aGqDj-S.jpg

The more jaded reader may want to write Caf?® del Fuego off as just another Australia-Argentinean fusion caf?® on the perfect sporting road vying for the motorcyclists dining dollar. If you are among them you are wrong my friend. What makes this caf?® for me is not just what meets the palate but what meets the eye.

Australians have the capacity for bragging bravado that will match any Texan I have ever met while having ability to pull it off with a certain subtlety that eludes AmericanÔÇÖs in general at times. JuanÔÇÖs Caf?® del Fuego is more than a roadside caf?® on the perfect sporting road; it is also ÔÇÿThe WorldÔÇÖs Smallest Motorcycle MuseumÔÇÖ. Set aside any attempt to prove or disprove this claim the diner at this caf?® is seated in the midst of this museum.

773173265_xykZ6-M.jpg

From the time you walk in the door you are surrounded by bits and pieces of motorcycle design and engineering. A fully restored 1942 WLA motorcycle and sidecar greet you just inside the front door. The permanent Museum collection also shows the Evans USA 1919 ÔÇô 1924, Evans Power-Cycle 119cc two stroke made by CycleMotor Corporation who made the belt driven CycleMotor Bicycle.

It is understandable if you miss your mouth with a fork full of food as you eat. The walls are decorated with over one hundred motorcycling posters pictures and memorabilia. Please no replies about the Ch?® poster. Remember this caf?® motorcycle museum is run by an Argentinean expatriate in a country that began as a British penal colony. The latter is something to keep in mind later in this post.

If the museum display were static this would be just another theme caf?® with a motorcyclist bent. There is a permanent component to the museum the rest of the display changes every 3 months featuring a string of rare and immaculately restored motorcycles. Enthusiasts and motorcycle restoration clubs from around the region supply these bikes to the delight of every onlooker.

Independence Day, July 4th 2009, provided an excuse for a ride and eating good BBQ for many of us. For my imaginary Australian riders it was time for a mid winter ride to JuanÔÇÖs Caf?® del Fuego for a special meal and the unveiling of a new motorcycle as part of the changing museum display.

First the food:

For this special day Juan was offering a feast that is definitely not part of the approved Mayo Clinic Diet. Instead of the normal menu riders would be treated to a combination of a three course Patagonian feast and an Aussie Tucker. I was not able to find a copy of the dayÔÇÖs menu but using the hints given it would have been a belt buster meal.

My experience with Patagonian type feast was a memorable. We dined in the open air next to roasting pits where huge chunks of beef lamb and fowl were roasted on spits after having been seasoned with special spice and sauce mixtures. I vaguely remember vegetables being served but could not tell you what. All I remember is devouring plate after plate of incredible meat.

ÔÇÿAussie TuckerÔÇÖ had me stumped and sent me back to my search engine to find out what this is. Quickly I learned you will not find real Aussie Tucker meals on an Outback Steak House menu. That is jus American food with Aussie names attached. An Aussie Tucker is immigrant food with recipes that go back to the nations English, Irish and Scottish roots prepared with a flair that came with what was available to them on the Australian continent. The recipes call for real butter whole cream lard and all those things that take you back to good old fashion cooking. Without a copy of the dayÔÇÖs menu I will let you do your own Aussie Tucker search.

What I do know is that at noon the meal was not served on that Australian July 4th. At noon the bike was unveiled by its builder and added to the collection of the ÔÇÿWorlds Smallest Motorcycle MuseumÔÇÖ.

The Builder and Bike:

Mark Walker and Big Ned were the two names I set off on my internet adventure with. The first is the motorcycleÔÇÖs builder and the second is the name is the name he gave his creation.

773172011_7Dio3-M.jpg

While I was able to find all sorts of information on various details of this story when it came to Mark Walker the information was scarce. However; there was enough information to start a good internet legend.

773171801_4o8pF-S.jpg

Mark Walker is described by one writer as a self taught engineering boffin who has been building motorcycles all his life. Another writer explains he is dyslexic and canÔÇÖt read or write. He describes himself as having a very limited formal education. The key point in that education happened at age 15 when some how he was introduced to the lathe. "I didn't know what a lathe was when I first saw one at 15, but I said to my mother that I HAD to have one." He does not tell us who or under what circumstances he learned about the lathe but it is clear that he found his tool and has spent a lifetime since working for others and exploring ideas of his own using this tool. The designs and schematics for his creations are said to come straight from his head. They are worked out in metal on his lathe.

Much of his involvement with motorcycles appears to be in AustraliaÔÇÖs version of drag racing. Disabuse yourself of visions of straight paved tracks and stretched out low slung bikes that spring to mind. Based on what I have seen on YouTube videos I have posted elsewhere these are straight line dirt track venues. The bikes often are often three wheeled machines that resemble mechanized chariots than what we think of. In Walkers case a nitro burning Harley-Davidson powered machine purpose built for the sport and capable of low etÔÇÖs. The valve train of the bike strongly hints at two stroke experience also.

The sparse biographical information will be combined with what we will learn from him about the influences on Big NedÔÇÖs creation and inferences observers will make based on the elements within the bike itself.

continued:

Big Ned

773171025_Ba6kk-S.jpg

Big Ned is named in honor Edward “Ned” Kelly

Bodywork

The source of the pictures for this piece felt they would tell the story better than he could. His only comment about the bodywork was Walker credits artist Sidney Nolan for the inspiration for the name and body work on the bike. The Australian artist is famous for a series of paintings based on the bushranging ironoutlaw Edward “Ned” Kelly. I spent some time looking at the artwork. I started to see glimpses yet really did not understand how they were an inspiration for the motorcycle, but then I am not an Australian.

The fun thing about an ‘internet ride’ is the ability to travel around the world and through time to find answers to things that make you wonder. I climbed back on my trusty search engine and headed out for a ride that would take me back over a century to Ireland, Tasmania then back to Australia before I would once again meet up in the woods with Mark Walker making the bodywork for his bike. I will leave you to do your own searches on this fascinating historical character and briefly focus on the part of the story that has to do with the motorcycle.

What separates Kelly and his gang from the rest of the bushrangers of his day making hem a legend in the process is their adaptive use of technology. More than a century before two California bank robbers donned body armor and shot their way into the news and made for television drama legend Kelly and his gang did the same. The gang members were equipped themselves with armor that was tough enough to repel bullets. Each man's armor weighed about 96 pounds. All wore grey cotton coats reaching past the knees over the armor.

It is not known exactly who made the armor, although it was likely forged from stolen or donated plough mouldboards. According to legend the armor was made on a Stringybark log by the gang themselves. The mouldboards were heated in a makeshift bush forge and then beaten straight over a green log before being cut into shape and riveted together to form each individual piece.

774716548_EmrGe-M.jpg
773173949_FYZCe-Th.jpg

With the information from my ride through the arts and history in hand the paintings inspiration and the inclusion of the following picture made sense.

774716914_3MLYb-S.jpg

Walker, like Ned Kelly and his gang, took the metal for his bikes bodywork to the woods. There he fashioned it using a bush forge and a green log.

The caf?® fairing is styled to resemble the helmet. The breast plate covers the backbone frame. The armor’s protective apron becomes the seat. Finally the coverings on the spokes of the wheels made sense as the motorcycle’s representation of the leggings Kelly wore.

If this were press release or a road test we would be at the point in the article where the author would get into the technical details of the bike. Sorry, there aren’t a lot of technical details. Remember the builder doesn’t write and the internet sources for the pictures that follow thought they were Rod Stewart – every picture tells a story, don’t it.

773173741_LTW7T-M.jpg

773173783_gjgWy-M.jpg

773173831_YU4C3-M.jpg

Big Ned Data Panel

DATA PANEL

Engine: 3000cc V-twin (yes that is a three with three zeros then the cc)
Valves: Rotary Valves ÔÇô Chain Driven
Ignition: Dual Pug Ignition
Fuel System: Fuel Injection
Fuel: Nitro
Frame: Backbone Frame
The frame also carries the fuel for the bike.
Suspension: Rigid Front and Rear Suspension
Bakes: Drop the ÔÇÿsÔÇÖ. There is one front ventilated drum brake.
Clutch: Multi-plate dry clutch
Transmission: Transmission? Transmission! We donÔÇÖt need no stinking transion.
Final Drive: Dual Chains

773170856_KKFUn-S.jpg

773170769_YNGX6-M.jpg

773170811_NJjPY-M.jpg

The connecting rods are like a body builderÔÇÖs arms with pistons the size of coffee cans at the ends.

773172671_AMnk6-M.jpg

773172819_EaMkh-M.jpg

They are then topped off with rotary valve heads.

The rotary valve system is a fascinating concept. I did not come across any information as to why he chose to use them. It may be a design experiment or simple way to avoid some of the complexities of the traditional valved head.

773172130_FPVLJ-M.jpg

773172259_86WY7-M.jpg

773172406_jBusx-M.jpg

773173135_neL2b-M.jpg

The heads feature rear facing exhaust and forward facing injector bodies.

773173036_zeK2w-M.jpg

774716750_GTzeG-M.jpg

Once the fuel air mixture is sucked into the motor by those coffee can pistons it is fired by a duel plug ignition system.

773171250_mvWEX-M.jpg

The power generated is delivered through a multi-plate clutch to a bevel gear that drives twin chains used to turn the rear wheel.

773170655_SVzhA-M.jpg

773173885_tUS3G-M.jpg

When Walker designed the brake system it is obvious he did not take NewtonÔÇÖs third law of motion into account. The Australian builder may be counting on having a continent to cost to a stop on because he only put a single ventilated drum brake on the front end of this monster to bring it to a halt.

774716895_uGvjB-M.jpg

774716874_tLZLd-M.jpg

773173921_LhkQj-M.jpg

Fortunately it was strong enough to bring Big Ned to a halt at JuanÔÇÖs Caf?® del Fuego so it could be displayed in the WorldÔÇÖs Smallest Motorcycle Museum.

773170325_MDN3F-M.jpg

Saturday, January 30

On the Street

Friday BMW released an early review of BMW Group earnings for 2009. Despite the current world economic conditions a before tax profit is anticipated. Both auto and motorcycles revenues were down while the financial services segment showed a small increase for the year. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, credits Strategy Number ONE for the GroupÔÇÖs ability to reach a profit under these conditions.

The Motorcycle segment reportedly performed better than the world market as a whole. 87,306 units were produced in 2009; down 14.1% from the 101,685 produced in 2008. More importantly, from an investor perspective, Motorcycle revenues came in at Ôé¼ 1,069 million down 13.1% from 2008ÔÇÖs Ôé¼ 1,230 million. On a percentage basis this is encouraging. What that means in actual euros to the bottom line remains to be seen. The encouraging thing is the company has been able to adjust its plans and costs in response to the market and maintain the Motorcycle segment as a viable unit.

BMW PressClub Global

BMW Group: Positive group earnings in sight for 2009
ÔÇó 29.01.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Group revenues down moderately in past year
Remains worldÔÇÖs leading premium automobile company
Reithofer: sales volume growth expected again in 2010

Munich . Despite the ongoing worldwide financial and economic crisis, the BMW Group has, from todayÔÇÖs perspective, achieved the objectives for 2009 made known over the course of the past year. ÔÇ£We are confident that the BMW Group will, as planned, be able to post a profit before tax for 2009. This demonstrates that rigorous cost management and other wide-ranging measures to improve profitability in conjunction with our Strategy Number ONE are taking effectÔÇ£, stated Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, on Friday in Munich.
Despite unfavourable business conditions worldwide, the decrease in group revenues in 2009 was comparatively moderate, dropping to euro 50,681 million (2008: euro 53,197million /-4.7%). Revenues of the Automobiles segment fell to euro 43,737 million (2008: euro 48,782 million /-10.3%). The Motorcycles segment reported revenues of euro 1,069 million (2008: euro 1,230 million /-13.1%), whilst the Financial Services segment increased its revenues by 0.5% to euro 15,798 million (2008: euro 15,725 million).
The Annual Report 2009 will be presented at the Annual Accounts Press Conference on 17 March 2010. In total, the BMW Group sold 1,286,310 BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brand vehicles in 2009 (2008: 1,435,876 units /-10.4%). This performance enabled the BMW Group to increase its worldwide share of the premium segment and, as previously announced, to retain its position as the worldÔÇÖs leading premium auto manufacturer.

Sales volume forecast to increase in single digit percentage range in 2010
The worldwide financial and economic crisis will continue to have an impact on the automobile industry during the current year. The BMW Group will, however, grow profitably due to new models and the expected gradual global economic recovery in 2010. ÔÇ£The BMW Group can start the new year with a certain amount of optimism. New models will provide tailwind over the course of the year. We fully intend to remain the worldÔÇÖs leading provider of premium vehicles in 2010 and plan to increase sales within the single digit percentage range to over 1.3 million unitsÔÇ£, added Reithofer.
One of the most important model developments in 2010 is the new BMW 5 Series which will come onto the market at the end of March, providing further momentum from the beginning of the second quarter. The new BMW X1 and BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo models ÔÇô both of which were very successfully launched at the end of 2009 ÔÇô will similarly have a positive impact on the sales volume performance in 2010. The MINI Countryman will also be introduced onto the markets during the current year.

BMW Group forecasts growth in China and the USA in 2010
A total of 1,068,770 BMW brand cars (2008: 1,202,239 units /-11.1%) was sold in 2009, putting the BMW brand once again well ahead of relevant competitors in the premium segment.
Good volume increases were achieved by the BMW 7 Series (52,680 units / +35.7%), the BMW X6 (41,667 units / +56.8%) and the BMW Z4 (22,761 units / +26.4%). In Germany, both 7 Series (7,439 units /+74.8%) on the one hand and the BMW X5 (10,933 units /-31.9%) and X6 (4,940 units /+51.0%) on the other, finished the year as clear leaders in the relevant segments. During the period from their launch at the end of October 2009 up to the end of the year, 8,499 units of the BMW X1 and 3,052 units of the 5 Series Gran Turismo had been sold worldwide.
The MINI brand recorded a worldwide sales volume of 216,538 units in 2009 (2008: 232,425 units /-6.8%). Rolls-Royce sold 1,002 motor cars (2008: 1,212 units /-17.3%) during the year, thus remaining the clear market leader in the ultra-luxury segment. The new Rolls-Royce Ghost made a good start, with 150 vehicles handed over to customers in December 2009.
BMW Motorcycles performed better than the market as a whole in 2009, registering a comparatively moderate sales volume decrease with a worldwide sales volume of 87,306 units (2008: 101,685 units /-14.1%).
The BMW Group grew strongly in 2009 in the emerging markets of China (90,536 units /+37.5%), Brazil (6,398 units /+118.8%) and India (3,619 units/ +24.4%), achieving new sales volume records in all three markets. "We plan to achieve sales volume growth again in China, Brazil and India in the current year ÔÇ£, stated Reithofer. Germany was the largest single market for the BMW Group in 2009 for BMW and MINI brand cars, with a total of 258,012 units (2008: 284,786 units /-9.4%) sold. With 33,517 cars handed over to customers, the MINI brand recorded its most successful year in Germany to date. The BMW Group is also aiming for sales volume growth in the German market in 2010, and hence, increased market share in the premium segment.
The BMW Group sold 241,727 vehicles (2008: 303,190 units /-20.3%) in the USA during the past year. The BMW brand, with 196,502 units sold, remained the best performing European premium car brand in the USA. The BMW Group forecasts that it will return to sales volume growth on the US market during the current year.

Financial services business also affected by flat economy
The weak state of the global economy also cast its shadow over financial services business in 2009, with the volume of new retail customer contracts dropping by 15.8% to euro 24,709 million. The proportion of new BMW and MINI brand cars financed by the Financial Services segment amounted to 49.0%, up by 0.5 percentage points compared to the previous year. This increase was largely attributable to the higher volume of credit financing (up by 3.7 percentage points to 24.7%), while the proportion relating to lease financing decreased by 3.3 percentage points to 24.3%.

Workforce of approximately 96,000 employees at end of 2009
The BMW GroupÔÇÖs workforce decreased over the past year as a result of a combination of natural attrition, pre-retirement and part-time working arrangements as well as voluntary contract termination agreements. The BMW Group workforce comprised 96,230 employees at the end of the year (December 31, 2008: 100,041 employees /-3.8%) worldwide. The number of trainees remained at a high level, namely 3,915 compared to 4,102 one year earlier.

The BMW Group ÔÇô an Overview

Change
in %
Vehicle production

Automobiles units
Motorcycles units

Deliveries to customers

Automobiles units
Motorcycles units

Workforce at year-end

Revenues euro million
thereof:
Automobiles euro million
Motorcycles euro million
Financial Services euro million
Other Entities euro million
Reconciliations euro million

MotoGP

fim-live.com: MotoGP back in action at Sepang

motogp.com: No rush for Spies at Sepang tests

Motogp.com: Suzuki announces continued Rizla MotoGP partnership

Formula 1 and 

autosport.com: Schumacher on pace in first test outing

formula1.com: Sauber C29 unveiled at Valencia tests

formula1.com: STR5 marks start of constructor era for Toro Rosso
No longer using just the Red Bull B team, Toro Rosso is building its own cars this year.

formula1.com: Technical insights into the R30
formula1.com: Petrov confirmed as new driver for Renault
Nick Heidfeld had been rumored to be in contention for this ride but did not get it. Ho-Pin Tung, star of the rookie tests, takes the reserve driver role for the team.

mclaren.com: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes launches MP4-25

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYM8MpkLUWg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYM8MpkLUWg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_NX3tDw4qMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_NX3tDw4qMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/suhCBcKhbis&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/suhCBcKhbis&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

On the Street

press,.bmwgroup.com: Strategic design for the future of the yacht industry

<object width="224" height="207">
<param name="FlashVars" value="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6437%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6437%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<embed src="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6437%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="224" height="207" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6437%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
</object>

jama.jp: Motorcycle Production Data for December 2009
Number of Motorcycles Produced
Motorcycle production in December 2009 was recorded as 51,915 units. Compared with the 112,024 units total recorded for the same month of the previous year, this is a decrease of 60,109 units or 53.7%, and production decrease on the same month of the previous year for twenty eight consecutive months.

December 2009 Motorcycle Production Figures by Class
50cc or under 4,862 units, down 9,357 units or 65.8%
51 - 125cc 6,269 units, down 549 units or 8.1%
126 - 250cc 9,579 units, down 7,160 units or 42.8%
Over 250cc 31,205 units, down 43,043 units or 58.0%

Number of Motorcycle Domestic Sales
Domestic sales (factory shipment) in December 2009 stood at 24,919 units, a decrease of 18.2% as compared with the same month of the previous year.

December 2009 Motorcycle Domestic Sales Figures by Class
50cc or under 16,881 units, down 16.8%
51 - 125cc 4,058 units, down 15.4%
126 - 250cc 2,028 units, down 39.6%
Over 250cc 1,952 units, down 3.4%

Exports (result) stood at 41.2% as compared with the same month of the previous year.

Reference: Motorcycle Production Figures by Manufacturer
Motorcycle December 2009
Units Chg. from prev. year (%)
Honda 15,894 55.6
Suzuki 13,436 42.2
Yamaha 13,093 40.7
Kawasaki 9,483 48.7
Others 9 450.0
Total 51,915 46.3

Number of Motorcycle Produced
Motorcycle production for Calendar Year 2009 (January 2009 - December 2009) was recorded as 644,901 units. Compared with the 1,226,839 units total recorded for the previous year, this is a decrease of 581,938 units or 47.4%, and production decrease for four consecutive years.

Calendar Year 2009 Motorcycle Production Figures by Class
50cc or under 108,417 units, down 54,511 units or 33.5%
51 - 125cc 57,424 units, down 70,957 units or 55.3%
126 - 250cc 125,384 units, down 67,479 units or 35.0%
Over 250cc 353,676 units, down 388,991 units or 52.4%

Number of Motorcycle Domestic Sales
Domestic sales (factory shipment) for Calendar Year 2009 stood at 380,777 units, a decrease of 27.1 % and the decrease for four consecutive years.
Calendar Year 2009 Motorcycle Domestic Sales Figures by Class
50cc or under 255,561 units, down 13.6%
51 - 125cc 65,888 units, down 45.5%
126 - 250cc 37,180 units, down 33.2%
Over 250cc 22,148 units, down 55.5%

Exports (result) stood at 54.3% as compared with the previous year.
Reference: Motorcycle Production Figures by Manufacturer
Motorcycle Calendar Year 2009
Units Chg. from prev. year (%)
Honda 196,179 58.2
Suzuki 163,865 47.0
Yamaha 161,640 46.2
Kawasaki 123,146 64.4
Others 71 75.5
Total 644,901 52.6

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller
Caption this

778543411_GsvcM-M.jpg

Wednesday, Feburary 3

World Superbike/MotoGP/AMA Calendar

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.comBMW will formally introduce its 2010 World Superbike team Friday
corser_xaus.jpg

And there will be a special guest

worldsbk.com: Foti convinced of BMWÔÇÖs Superstock potential

crash.net: Corser ÔÇô So much to test so little time

cdnsuperbike.com: Twin Sports National class details confirmed
cdnsuperbike.com: WomenÔÇÖs Cup Challenge announces 2010 schedule

Formula 1 and 

Press Release
Formula One Commission
02/02/2010

Following a highly constructive and positive meeting of the Formula One Commission yesterday, agreement was reached by all the sportÔÇÖs stakeholders on a number of amendments to the sporting and technical regulations.

The proposals will be submitted to the FIA World Motor Sport Council for final approval within the next 48 hours.

2010 FIA Formula One World Championship

- Points system

In order to further encourage the ÔÇÿrace to winÔÇÖ, an adjustment to the points system was agreed. Points for both titles will be awarded at each event according to the following scale:

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 Points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

- Quantity and use of tyres

The number of dry weather tyres sets allocated per driver has been reduced from 14 to 11.

In addition, to encourage teams to run during the Friday practice sessions, one set has to be returned before the start of the second practice session, and two sets before the start of the third practice session.

- Improving the show

In order to introduce a further element of strategy, cars having participated in Q3 must start the race on the same set of tyres with which their grid time was set.

Further measures for 2010 are also being examined.

- New technologies

The Commission received a strong mandate from the FIA President to examine the introduction of new environmental technologies in the Championship. The mandate was warmly welcomed by the teams and further proposals will be developed.

2011 FIA Formula One World Championship

- Diffusers

The permitted height of the main diffuser was reduced from 175mm to 125mm and measures to exclude ÔÇÿdoubleÔÇÖ diffusers were agreed.

-end-

reuters.com: Alonso pulls in the fans o Ferrari test debut
Williams : Valencia Day1, Day 2
Toro Rosso: Valencia Day 2

bbc.co.uk: Virgin ÔÇÿvirtualÔÇÖ Formula 1 challenger becomes reality

On the Street

sportrider.com: First Ride ÔÇô 2010 BMW S1000RR ÔÇô Blitzkrieg!

cyrilhuzeblog.com: A market report about the Chinese motorcycle industry

Birthplace of the VFR 1200F
Kumamoto The mother ship of Honda motorcycle factories One of the most modern and environmentally factories in Japan.Watch the VFR1200 being assembled
Production line is 130 meters long producing one motorcycle every 90 seconds
Via YouTube and several other sites:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/djWpWVnFz8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/djWpWVnFz8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
xkcd.com

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
APRILLA / RSV4 2010
Manufacturer: PIAGGIO USA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: JAN 25, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V029000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 335

Summary:
PIAGGIO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 APRILIA RSV4 "FACTORY?? AND RSV4 "R" MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JULY 2, 2009, AND OCTOBER 30, 2009. IN MANUFACTURING THE CONNECTING RODS, A PROCESS WAS USED TO STRAIGHTEN THE ROD IN ORDER TO MEET SPECIFICATIONS. THIS PROCESS INTRODUCED STRESSES INTO THE RODS WHICH GREATLY AFFECTED STRENGTH AND RELIABILITY.

Consequence:
CONNECTING RODS IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES COULD FAIL AND CAUSE ENGINE FAILURE THAT COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, RESULTING IN A CRASH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR DEATH.

Remedy:
PIAGGIO WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE ENGINES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT FEBRUARY 28, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PIAGGIO AT 1-212-380-4431.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

BMW PressClub: Canada

Motorrad.
BMW Motorrad Canada retailed 54 motorcycles in the first month of 2010, a best ever January result and increase of 170 per cent over the same period in 2009. Contributing to this success of BMW Motorrad is the new S1000RR Superbike, as its popularity grows among a young demographic.

BMW PressClub: Netherlands

BMW Motorrad behaalt doelstellingen over 2009.
ÔÇó 02.02.2010
ÔÇó Persbericht
Munich/Cassinetta. BMW Motorrad can look back on a successful year in 2009 in spite of a very difficult market environment marked by the global financial and economic crisis. Last year 87,306 (previous year: 101,685) BMW motorcycles were delivered to customers which is equivalent to a comparatively moderate drop of 14.1%. BMW Motorrad has thus not only reached the target it set itself, but also achieved the second-lowest decline in sales amongst the competition.

While the world market for motorcycles above 500 cubic centimetres was still approximately 1.5 million vehicles in 2007, it shrank to about 900,000 units in 2009. This corresponds to a market drop of around 40% in two years. In the crisis year of 2009 alone the world market declined by more than 30%.

Despite these downward tendencies in the motorcycle markets, BMW Motorrad was able to grow in the European markets Great Britain and Eastern Europe, in the Asian markets of Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, as well as in the Middle East and Brazil.

Due to its continued powerful product offensive, the white and blue brand performed outstandingly on other export markets, often expanding its market share considerably. In the seven important motorcycle markets of Great Britain, Italy, France, Spain, the USA, Japan and Germany, BMW Motorrad increased its market share throughout.

This was achieved even though market sales dropped by 32% in the segment above 500 cubic centimetres. Compared to the competition, which lost between 20% and almost 50% of its sales, BMW Motorrad sales dropped by only 16%.

In Germany, which is still the biggest market for BMW Motorrad, 15,833 (previous year: 18,112) BMW motorcycles were registered, representing a drop of 12.6%. In spite of this environment BMW Motorrad was able to defend its market leadership in the once again shrinking overall market (-14.5%) as well as in the segment above 500 cc. The BMW share in the overall market was 17.7% in December (previous year: 17.3%). In the segment above 500 cc the market share was 19.0% (previous year: 18.1%).

Italy continues to be the second largest for BMW Motorrad. Here a total of 13,207 BMW motorcycles were registered (previous year: 15,342), a decline of 13.9% (market as a whole: minus 20.0 %). The market share of BMW Motorrad in the segment over 500 cc increased to14.3 % (previous year: 13.0 %).

In the USA, too - BMW MotorradÔÇÖs third largest market - the market as a whole decreased by 41.6 %. Here 9,168 (previous year: 11,831) BMW motorcycles were registered, a drop of 22.5 % as compared to the previous year. However, it was possible to increase the market share over 500 cc by 2.0% to 2.6%.

In 2009 once again, the most successful model overall was the large travel enduro BMW R 1200 GS (15,864 units) along with its sibling model, the R 1200 GS Adventure (8,803 units). Outstanding sales figures were also achieved by the F 800 GS (10,974 units) and the F 800 R (5,828 units), where the conquest rate was especially pleasing.

BMW Motorrad in 2010 - a look ahead.
The prospects for 2010 look promising: this is because BMW Motorrad was able to extend its market share across the board and take on market leadership in several instances, thereby creating an excellent basis for future growth.

With the new S 1000 RR, BMW Motorrad has a supersports volume model in its program for a full season for the first time, with some 2,300 orders already having been placed by the time of the market launch on December 6th 2009.

From February 6th 2010 BMW customers will benefit from the model revision of the new BMW 1200 GS / Adventure and BMW R 1200 RT which are to be launched with the new DOHC flat twin engines.

In addition to this, the BMW Motorrad model program is in excellent shape generally for 2010. In the worlds of experience Enduro, Tour, Urban, Sport and HP there are fascinating motorcycles to suit virtually every taste. The model range is supplemented by an extensive program of accessories and innovative BMW Motorrad rider equipment.

Husqvarna Motorcycles puts in a powerful sales performance.
Husqvarna Motorcycles, the second motorcycle brand of the BMW Group, achieved worldwide sales figures of 13,052 units (previous year: 13,511) - a decline of just 3%. And in the seven major motorcycle markets the drop in sales was only 2%.

Sales in Australia, Germany and France developed very positively, with the previous yearÔÇÖs figures being far exceeded in each case. Husqvarna Motorcycles even increased its performance in the heavily declining US market (- 41.6%).
Now that the new model TE 250 has been so well received by the market, a model offensive is planned for 2010: in spite of a difficult market environment, this provides hope of a positive sales development.

motorcyclistonline.com: Street Savvy ÔÇô Motorcycle riding in winter

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

780186433_B7BJz-M.jpg

BMW Motorrad Motorsport Press Release

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - 2010 Team Presentation.
ÔÇó 05.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
FIM Superbike World Championship

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport launches 2010 Superbike World Championship campaign.

Munich (DE), 5th February 2010. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport officially launched its second season in the FIM Superbike World Championship with a presentation at BMW Group Classic in Munich on Friday. With riders Troy Corser (AU) and Ruben Xaus (ES) set to commence battle for the first World Championship points of the year at Phillip Island (AU) on 28th February, the team gave international media representatives the opportunity to get an idea of the current progress of the project.

In the presence of Infront Motor Sports CEO Paolo Flammini, Superbike World Championship Director Paolo Ciabatti and a selection of other guests, Corser and Xaus laid on a spectacular show at BMW Group Classic, riding onto the stage on two BMW S 1000 RR machines. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport recorded 17 top-ten finishes in 2009, its debut season in the Superbike World Championship.

General Director of BMW Motorrad Hendrik von Kuenheim said: ÔÇ£Even back in the initial development phase of the BMW S 1000 RR we were clear that we wanted to build a supersport bike for the road with genes from the race track. Our aim was to be battling for pole position in the supersport segment straightaway ÔÇô and we did that in impressive fashion. Never before has one of our new motorcycles enjoyed such positive press reviews. Showcasing the potential of this bike on the track as well as on the road is a logical move for BMW Motorrad. The Superbike World Championship pits us against our direct competitors, and we are looking to show that we can match or even get the better of them.ÔÇØ

Director BMW Motorrad Motorsport Berthold Hauser added: ÔÇ£Our goal is to close the gap to the leading teams. We are aiming to finish in the top five as regularly as possible and pick up our first podium. ThatÔÇÖs the ambitious aim we have set ourselves for our second year in what is an extremely challenging World Championship. However, we are well aware that our competitors have not been standing still either. The Superbike World Championship brings us up against six motorcycle manufacturers who have established themselves on the race track. You can set yourself aims in sport and make plans to achieve them, but you cannot dictate results ÔÇô those have to be earned out on the track. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport is working flat out to make this possible.ÔÇØ

The team is sticking with the experienced rider pairing of Corser and Xaus for its second year in the Superbike World Championship. Together they have notched up no fewer than 507 starts and 44 wins in this series. The ambition of two-time world champion Corser remains undiminished: ÔÇ£I definitely want to win another World Championship before the end of my career. The next step along the road to achieving that goal is to collect as many top-five finishes as possible this season. You can sense the determination of BMW Motorrad to climb the ladder.ÔÇØ

Xaus is also aiming high for the coming season: ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm very happy to be competing as part of such a strong works team and to be playing my part in this project from the ground up,ÔÇØ explains the Spaniard. ÔÇ£We are looking to take the next step in 2010 to ensure that our goals become reality in the not too distant future.ÔÇØ

A new addition to the team is Davide Tardozzi, a man with a proven track record in Superbike racing. The Italian will head up team management and operational control at the race tracks. Rainer B?ñumel will continue as Head of Overall Project Management and Project Management Engineering.

Following the tests in Portim?úo (PT) and Valencia (ES), Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport is now preparing for the first race weekend of the Superbike World Championship in Australia. Further tests are scheduled at the Phillip Island Circuit on 20th, 21st and 22nd February ahead of the first race weekend of the season there commencing 26th February.

Monday, February 8

World Superbike

worldsbk.com: Corser and Xaus both aim high for 2010 season

Aprilia will launch their 2010 team Tuesday.

Kawasaki-racingteam.eu: Baiocco to join Team Pedercini in WSBK

MotoGP

motogp.com: Simoncelli upbeat after test crash
:scratch I know they did all sorts of testing in MotoGP but testing how you crash? :brad

motoGP.com: De Puniet finishes first tests ride of new RC212V

motogp.com: Stoner and Hayden satisfied with first 2010 tests

AMA Pro Racing

AMA Pro Racing / 2010 Daytona 200 Schedule pdf

Pro Racing continues its reorganization. This time it is on the flat track scene.

Press Release:

Steve Morehead Joins AMA Pro Flat Track as Operations Manager
DAYTONA BEACH, FL (February 5, 2010) - AMA Pro Racing announced today the hiring of Steve Morehead as AMA Pro Flat Track Operations Manager.
During a successful racing career, Morehead was known as the "Findlay Flyer," and was one of the leading AMA Pro Grand National Championship racers from the mid-1970s through the 1990s. In all, Morehead won a total of 23 AMA Nationals during his 26-year professional racing career. He finished ranked in the top-10 17 times. Morehead was a fan favorite and was one of the oldest riders on the AMA Pro circuit when he retired.
At the beginning of the 2000 season, Morehead accepted a position as Professional Flat Track Operations Manager for the American Motorcycle Association. Morehead's expertise on and off the race track has helped bring dirt-track racing to an even higher level. During the 2009 season, Morehead worked part time as the AMA Pro Racing Flat Track referee.
"Steve's full-time employment and his 35 years of flat track experience will be a huge asset in the continued growth and development of AMA Pro Flat Track," said Mike Kidd, AMA Pro Racing Director of Flat Track.
AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.

Following the money in AMA Pro Racing

AMA Pro Racing Announces Daytona 200 Purse, Schedule and Entry Extension
DAYTONA BEACH, FL (February 5, 2010) - AMA Pro Racing and the Daytona International Speedway are pleased to announce the comprehensive purse structure and schedule of events for the March 3-5 Daytona 200 Week at the world famous Daytona International Speedway.

The $225,000 total purse features an enhanced payout for the premier AMA Pro Racing National Guard American SuperBike class that will feature two races this year, the first of which will be on Thursday, March 4th and the new, second race on Friday, March 5th. The two 15-lap races will feature purse payouts being paid from 1st to 15th place.

The historic Daytona 200 AMA Pro Racing Daytona SportBike presented by AMSOIL race will be once again held under the lights on Friday night, March 5th. The 57-lap race will feature prize money for 1st through 20th place with $20,000 going to the winner of this prestigious event as well as a place in the history books joining many of the greatest names in motorcycle racing.

The 2010 Daytona 200 Week will also see two AMA Pro Racing SuperSport races. The first 12-lap race will be Thursday, March 4th and the second 12-lap race will be Friday afternoon, March 5th. These races are sure to be exciting as the AMA Pro SuperSport Young Gun riders go up against more experienced local AMA Pro Racing Top Gun riders.

Other features of the event include the always popular Thursday, March 4th rider autograph session and the many fan-friendly activities around Daytona International Speedway.

Also announced today is the extension of the registration deadline for the Daytona 200 Week events. The deadline for entering the event is now February 12, 2010.

A full breakdown of the purse, complete schedule and the registration information are accessible in www.AMAProRacing.com's Competitor Information (http://www.amaproracing.com/competition/).

Formula 1
Formula 1.com: Q&A with BWM SauberÔÇÖs Willy Rampf

Tech Session:

2010 rule changes ÔÇô accommodating larger fuel tanks

2010 rule changes - comparing the 2009 / 2010 cars
Front
Side
Overhead

On the Street

thekneeslider.com: Is any motorcycle company indispensable?
As you read this it is obvious this is not written for a brand centric site like ours. Yet some of the questions and insights are worth considering in our context.

The Outdoor Channel selected Zero Motorcycles for the popular series "Ride to Adventure Extreme." The upcoming episode takes place in Colorado where a group of off-road riders climb to over 13,000 feet on one of the toughest backcountry passes in the state. It's showing at 5:30PM and 8:30PM PST Monday Feb 8th.
Bike Cruller

A mini cruller from cyrilhuzeblog.com to start the day with.

KiefferKnucklehead.jpg

Tueday, February 9

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team ÔÇô high expectations for Biaggi and Camier

284x205-images-stories-news-37_aprilia_alitalia_rsv4.jpg

worlsbk.com: Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team ÔÇô flying the tricolor flag in the 2010 SBK World Championship

WSS: worldsbk.com: Badovini takes stock of new BMW machine

MotoGP

MotoGP.com: A technical view of the RC212V from Lucio Cecchinello

bbc.co.uk: Valentino Rossi could extend career in MotoGP

New direction for BMW Motorsport in the dirt???
motociclismo.es has an piece on a blending of the BWM G450 and Husqvarna the result is a 

moto22.com: Hellsgate 2010, victory for Dougie Lampkin

BMW Motorsport Offroad

Lettenbichler narrowly misses HellÔÇÖs Gate podium

BMW Motorrad Motorsport enduro hardman Andreas Lettenbichler narrowly missed out on a place on the podium at the sixth running of the HellÔÇÖs Gate extreme enduro, staged in Italy, as the G 450 X rider was the last competitor to be withdrawn from the knock-out style competition. Making his first international outing in 2010, LettiÔÇÖ made light work of the demanding five-hour morning qualifying enduro where he finished behind PolandÔÇÖs Taddy Blazusiak and BritainÔÇÖs Graham Jarvis before going on to produce one of the standout performances of the main event.

Right from the start of the qualifying enduro it was clear that the ÔÇÖ10 edition of HellÔÇÖs Gate was going to be extremely difficult but unfazed by the challenging conditions LettiÔÇÖ battled his way through the four lap race to finish just 38 seconds behind winner Blazusiak. Second on two of the special tests and third on the other LettiÔÇÖ ensured a front row starting position for the gruelling main event.

Making a good start LettiÔÇÖ was soon running in fourth position but with certain sections of the course impassable without the assistance of event staff he frustratingly found himself with no option but to stop his engine and wait as the riders ahead of him were pulled, one at a time, to the top of one difficult, rocky climb. Meaning that at the end of the opening lap he was already a considerable distance behind then race leader Graham Jarvis, Letti worked hard to move into third position, which he held until the end of the race. Although not officially classified as a ÔÇÿfinisherÔÇÖ LettiÔÇÖ was the third and only rider who remained in the competition on laps three and four.

BMW austria / Speedbrain supported Austrian rider Rudi Poeschl also produced a strong result, especially considering it was his first visit to HellÔÇÖs Gate. 13th in the morning qualifying race he was in eighth position when he was withdrawn from the main event having fallen more than 40 minutes behind the race leader.

Andreas Lettenbichler: ÔÇ£The morning qualifying race went well for me. You always know coming to an event like HellÔÇÖs Gate that it will be difficult, so there is no point in using more energy than you need to during the morning. I had some good special tests, I found some good lines, and the race went well. Finishing third behind Blazusiak and Jarvis was a great start to the event. But the morning race doesnÔÇÖt mean much once the main HellÔÇÖs Gate race starts. Unfortunately the main race was too tough. Most of the riders I have spoken to said it was too hard. Having just two finishers isnÔÇÖt a good thing. But anyway, I had a good start and was looking forward to a good race. But there were sections where you couldnÔÇÖt ride your bike and had to wait for it to be pulled up with a rope. There was no option but to wait until you got pulled up. By the time you were at the top the riders ahead of you were along way ahead. I was fourth on the first lap and then moved forward one place. I knew that I was the third and last rider in the race as I started the third lap, it was hard to keep motivated when itÔÇÖs like this. I started the fourth lap in third position but because I was quite a long way behind the leaders the organisers pulled be out of the event. ItÔÇÖs disappointing but knowing that I was third in the morning race, and was the third rider in the final is very positive.ÔÇØ

Results ÔÇô HellÔÇÖs Gate ÔÇÿ10
Morning Enduro (Stage 1)
1.Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 34.02:70; 2. Graham Jarvis (Sherco) 34.30:22; 3. Andreas Lettenbichler (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 34.41.15; 4. Dougie Lampkin (Beta) 36.19.70; 5. Cory Graffunder (Husqvarna) 36.40:89; 6. Xavi Galindo (Husaberg) 36.48:86; 7. Mikael Vukcevic (Sherco) 37.43:43; 8. Chris Birch (KTM) 38.11:54; 9. Daniele Maurino (Gas Gas) 39.47:82; 10. Daniel Gibert (Sherco) 40:00.05ÔǪ 13. Rudolf P?Âschl (BMW) 40.23:44

Main Event (stage 2 ÔÇô official finishers)
1. Dougie Lampkin (Beta) 4 laps; 2. Graham Jarvis (Sherco) 4 laps

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Technical insight - Force IndiaÔÇÖs Mark Smith on the VJM03

Tech Talk

Ferrari F60/F10 - overhead comparison
Ferrari F60/F10 - exhaust comparison
McLaren MP4-25 - new front wing

On the Street

Bikes in the Fast Lane: South Africa ÔÇô promoting tourism through motorcycles
I love South Africa and long to return. Take a look and you will see some of the reasons why.

asphaltandrubber.com: BMW S1000RS ÔÇô Oberdan Bezzi continues evolving the S1000RR in naked form
I came across this on the A and R site before I reached my rss feed for motosketches.blogspot.com. The site always has great rendering of ideas to push known bikes in new directions. I watch the explosion of the S1000RR on the motorcycling world but like the artist I wonder what directions BMW will take their sporting lineup next.

BMW+S1000+RS+Clubracer.jpg

I just can not draw like him.

Then I came across this at moto.caradisiac.com and really hope BMW is not looking.

200x150_bmw-k1200lt-the-two-_1024x0w.jpg

Its over for the show we loved to hate but still watchedat times.
cyrilhuz.blog.com: American Chopper Reality TV Show ÔÇô ItÔÇÖs over on February 11th

gizmag.com: Honda aerodynamic scooter conversion results in 214 mpg.

On the other end of the performance spectrum Ducati mulls big-money new Desmosedici RR road bike. Technically it would be fascinating. From the business side you have to wonder. Unlike BMW, the US market is the Dominate market for sales. Yes dominate with a capital D. Decline in sales in this market have resulted in big cutbacks at the Italian manufacturer. Can they afford to head in this direction. IÔÇÖm not a shareholder so I hope the answer is YES.

FloodSmart.gov
The snow ice and the future problems of flooding are becoming a concern her in fly-over-land. Several news shows have been urging people to check their need for flood insurance. The FloodSmart web site is a simple tool to do this with. Fill in your address information and you are given a general rating for your risk of flooding; mine is moderate in my new digs. Flood insurance takes three months to take effect. Now is the time to plan and acquire coverage. In addition to insurance it is time to think about what are your localized property flooding issues. The roof and walls of my garage are sound. The doors are terrible and snow build up at the garage doors on the alley need to be cleared so my Roadster does not need to learn how to swim when it finally is warm enough to melt that junk. Just something to think about.

FWIW

Over the Holiday season I read the Harry Potter series of books. I put off reading the series until all of the books were in print. Tom Riddle, a.ka. Lord Voldemort is HarryÔÇÖs arch nemeses through the series. As I read I was bumping into the story line of Formula 1ÔÇÖs version of the Dark Lord, Flavio Briatore.

At the end of the 2009 season Briatore was handed a life ban from participating in F1. His ÔÇÿhenchmenÔÇÖ were given various punishments and life was to go on without the threat of the dastardly deeds of the Dark Lord FB occurring again. For his part Briatore said he would fight the ban through various court proceedings. The first of these was held in France in the beginning of January.

The Dark Lord FB lives.

French courts ruled that the FIA life ban on Briatore and the other sanctions on his cohort were improper and were thrown out. The core of thinking of the judgment (I have not been able to find or read a translated copy) according to reports in the press I have read centers around the FIAÔÇÖs authority to place such sanctions on anyone in the roles of the people sanctioned.

The FIA sporting rules that were used to apply the sanctions deal with licensed participants in F1. The court recognized that drivers and certain other participants were regulated under the sporting rules and could be sanctioned; even in draconian ways as life time bans from the sport. However, they ruled that none of the people sanctioned fell within the class of people that were licensed; therefore, they could not be sanctioned as provided by the rules. They have allowed the sanctions to stand pending an appeal from the FIA. That process is time bound in some way. Nelson Piquet was the only person in the Singapore crash case that was licensed and could have been sanctioned. As you recall he was granted immunity.

The story will continue. Briatore is considering more legal action against the FIA to recover damages. He and the others involved are involved in other actions as a result of actions taken because of the sanctions they received. The FIA for its part is considering a two part response.

The first is a possible appeal of that ruling. If done in a timely manner the appeal would have the effect of continuing the sanctions during the process and could lead to a favorable decision for the FIA.

The FIAÔÇÖs second approach to looking at rewriting the sporting rules to give the FIA the authority to in effect license all parts of the participating teams in some manner. The real fear is that FOTA will baulk at this in a drastic way. The changes have the potential of giving the FIA all kinds of authority over the internal operations of teams. Many of the teams consist of independent team based operations and employees blended with factory components. No manufacturer is going to want to subject their company operations to such external control for a variety of very legitimate reasons.

FIA, FIM, WSBK, MotoGP, AMA Pro Racing and others

The on going story of the Dark Lord FB is a FIA/Formula 1 story. Yet as I look across the racing bodies who host series I follow variations of the core issues are played out in each. How does racing deal with the money? How are the parallel but some times divergent needs of the sport teams and factory sponsors reconciled?

Racers Race

It is a simplistic obvious point to make. It is also a point lost all too often in the dealings of the participants all levels including fans. The law of unintended consequences quickly goes into play as soon as we organize ourselves and our racing efforts. We find ourselves becoming rule experts instead of race ____(insert appropriate race related role here). In that process we loose sight of why we are engaged in this at all. Harry Potter may have spent seven years of his life fighting the advances of Lord Voldemort but Racers Race.

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

New video treats from BMW.tv: BWM S1000RR Superbike

<param name="FlashVars" value="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=657%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=657%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<embed src="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=657%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="224" height="207" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=657%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
</object>

Thursday, February 11

World Superbike et al

worldsbk.com: Pata Bag Racing Team launched

worldsbk.com: 2010 ÔÇô AlstareÔÇÖs Giancomo Guidotti views the new season

MotoGP

motogp.com: Cicognani talks about new Ducati role

Formula 1

uk.reuters.com]: Red Bull launch RB6 limousine

uk.reuters.com: Red Bull springs early leak, Virgin hits track

formula1.com: Parts shortage brings Virgin test to a halt

formula1.com: Bridgestone announces 2010 tyre allocations

Jean Todt has found it is very easy to get misquoted. ÔÇ£NewsÔÇØ flashed around the F1 world that teams would be allowed to miss up to three races during the 2010 season. This took several teams off the hook it seemed. Wait a minute said Todt, that is not what I said and the FIA made the following press release:

Press Release
FIA Formula One World Championship
10/02/2010
PARTICIPATION IN EVENTS COUNTING TOWARDS
THE FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Following recent reports on the interpretation of clauses in the Concorde Agreement concerning the concept of a Team's ÔÇÿparticipationÔÇÖ in the FIA Formula One World Championship, the FIA wishes to make the following clarification:

From a sporting and regulatory point of view, each Team that has registered for the Championship is obliged to take part in every event of the season. Any failure to take part, even for just one Championship event, would constitute an infringement both of the Concorde Agreement and the FIA Regulations.

Lotus has had a car on the track. Virgin has been on the track enough to run out of parts. Sauber introduced a new car and drivers. Campos and US F1 remain the big question marks.

On the Street

motorcycledaily.com: BD First Ride ÔÇô 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO and EVO S:p

hellforleathermagazine.com: BMW takes ÔÇÿrace on Sunday, sell on MondayÔÇØ literally

Press Release from BMW NA
BMW Motorrad USA Expands Dealer Network with the Opening of Eight New Facilities
ÔÇó 10.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
BMW Brand Targets Growing Number of Dual-Sport Riders
Woodcliff Lake, NJ  February 10, 2010 BMW Motorrad USA has announced the opening of eight new dealerships within the past five months to better serve BMW motorcycle customers in new and underserved markets.

ÔÇ£In 2010 and beyond we will continue to identify growth opportunities for the BMW brand in markets that do not currently have a BMW motorcycle dealership by partnering with new or existing motorcycle dealers in those areas,ÔÇØ commented Todd Andersen, BMW Motorrad USA Marketing Manager.

The newest authorized BMW dealerships include: Van-Wall Powersports in Perry, IA; BMW Motorcycles of Chattanooga in Chattanooga, Tenn.; Bergen County BMW Motorcycles in Rochelle Park, NJ; Montgomeryville Cycle Center in Hatfield, PA; BMW Motorcycles Tulsa in Tulsa, OK; BMW Motorcycles of Spokane/Westside Motorsports in Spokane, WA; BMW Motorcycles of Utah in Sandy, UT; and Kissell Motor Sports in State College, PA.

ÔÇ£Our dedicated dealer network was the key to our success last year,ÔÇØ added Mr. Andersen, citing the fact that BMW Motorrad USA outperformed the industry for the 2nd year in a row in 2009 despite an overall motorcycle industry decline of 41 percent. ÔÇ£Our dealers continued to serve our customers well thanks to new products like the K1300 GT, K 1300 S, and the new S 1000 RR Superbike, as well as attractive financing programs from BMW Financial Services.ÔÇØ

Bike Cruller

On any track Moto2 is fully subscribed. Compare this to other series that are running down sized grids. On the drafting board and CAD systems may be the most important class for future motorcycle development. Dinged by some as a one engine class it is the place where the future of chassis and suspension design can be explore by designers. Manufactures should thing of it as a combination of OJ and a very advanced masterÔÇÖs seminar.

The Kneeslider has a piece on the Dechaves Garage 599BL Moto 2 Concept. It has many of the elements I would like to see explored like the trellis frame and swing arm. The problem is we are exploring extensions of the current fair. I had hoped for possible applications of other suspension designs.

599bl_2.jpg

Friday, February 12

Posting on the fly today.

Press Release: BMW PressClub Canada
BMW Motorrad Canada and Rush HD jump into Canadian Superbike for 2010
ÔÇó 10.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Whitby, ON. BMW Motorrad Canada, confirming that it will be fielding a two rider factory superbike team in the Parts Canada Superbike Championship in 2010, is also pleased to announce a collaboration with Rush HD as the title sponsor of the Rush HD/BMW Motorrad Canada Superbike Team.

Rush HD is CanadaÔÇÖs only high-octane, no fear, no limits extreme sports adventure HD channel. Rush HD is owned and operated by High Fidelity HDTV Inc., CanadaÔÇÖs leading HD broadcaster and production enterprise whose four all-HD channels provide Canadians with best-in-class non-fiction programming on the themes of Nature, Culture and Adventure.

In conjunction with the superbike sponsorship, the Rush HD/BMW Motorrad Canada Superbike Team will be followed all season long by a documentary film crew capturing the creation and activities of a superbike team in action, for the production and broadcast of a six part one hour mini series to be shown on Rush HD this fall. John Panikkar, Rush HDÔÇÖs chief executive, said ÔÇ£Rush HD is delighted to be title sponsor of this yearÔÇÖs Rush HD/BMW Motorrad Canada Superbike Team. The action-adventure programming we broadcast on Rush HD is a natural fit with the action and excitement of a superbike racing series. ÔÇØ

Chris Duff, Manager, Motorrad Marketing, stated, ÔÇ£We are thrilled to have Rush HD onboard as we prepare and race the most exciting new entry in the 2010 Canadian Superbike seasonÔÇØ.

Both riders from BMWÔÇÖs 2009 team, Francis Martin and Michael Ferreira, will once again be the riders in the hot seat, tasked with bringing a superbike victory to BMW Motorrad Canada in 2010.

Francis Martin is no stranger to racing in the Superbike Class having won two Canadian Superbike Championships in 1999 and 2005 respectively along with another litre bike title in 2002, the Pro Open Sportbike Championship. ÔÇ£I'm very exited about the next season and have been waiting for this moment for a long timeÔÇØ says Francis Martin. ÔÇ£Now we have the bike to win and the tuner with whom I won my last championshipÔÇØ.

Michael Ferreira will be making his Superbike Class debut in 2010 and continues his streak as the longest serving rider on the team after racing the BMW boxer twins in Canadian Thunder and Pro Sportbike classes since 2007. Ferreira, the winner of the 2006 RACE Pro 600 Sportbike Championship, will not have any trouble transferring his skills back onto an in-line four race bike from the twins he recently has competed on.

When asked about his thoughts of racing in the Superbike Class, Ferreira had this to say, "From the day I started racing, my dream was always to race in the premier class against the best riders in the country. Three years ago I was blessed with an opportunity to race for BMW and itÔÇÖs been an experience of a lifetime with what now will be the highlight of my racing career. I couldn't be happier than to share this experience with the brand that has had so much faith in me."

Joining the Rush HD / BMW Motorrad Superbike Team this season is famed Canadian superbike tuner Patrice Goyette of Mobile PG. Patrice recently was the main crew chief behind Clint McBain of Acceleration Racing the past two years and has a previous relationship with Francis Martin from when they won the 2005 Canadian Superbike Championship.

ÔÇ£Staying with our same two riders this year was always the plan when we talked about jumping into the Superbike ClassÔÇØ said Chris Duff, Manager Motorrad Marketing. ÔÇ£Now that we have also been able to add a huge asset in Patrice, this should show race fans our commitment to winning races in 2010.ÔÇØ

Also partnering with the Rush HD / BMW Motorrad Superbike Team this year will be three new sponsors: Joe Rocket, Hotbodies Bodywork and Hindle Exhausts. Joe Rocket returns to BMW after a three year hiatus and Bruce Parker, President of Joe Rocket Canada enthused: ÔÇ£ we are excited about renewing our relationship with BMW Motorrad Canada and looking forward to BMW adding to our history of Rocket Racing success.ÔÇØ

With the launch of the new S1000RR, BMW Motorrad now has the arsenal needed to fight for superbike championships worldwide and Canada is no exception.

The 2010 Canadian Superbike Championship begins with Round 1 from the ICAR facility at Mirabel Quebec May 28-30 and then continues for Rounds 2 & 3 at CalgaryÔÇÖs Race City Motorsport Park June 24-27. Rounds 4 & 5 will be the annual mid-summer Mosport Doubleheader Weekend July 8-11 and the final two rounds, Rounds 6 & 7 will take place August 5-8 from Shubenacadie Nova Scotia. Follow all rounds of the Canadian Superbike Championship on TSN HD in 2010.

The BMW Group
The BMW Group is one of the most successful manufacturers of automobiles and motorcycles in the world with its BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brands. As a global company, the BMW Group operates 24 production facilities in 13 countries and has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
The BMW Group achieved a global sales volume of more than 1.43 million automobiles and over 101,000 motorcycles for the 2008 financial year. Revenues for 2008 totalled EUR 53.2 billion, with earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) of EUR 921 million. The company employed a global workforce of approximately 98,000 associates on 30 September 2009.
The success of the BMW Group has always been built on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy. As a result of its efforts, the BMW Group has been ranked industry leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for the last five years.

BMW Group Canada, based in Whitby, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG and is responsible for the distribution of BMW luxury performance automobiles, Sports Activity Vehicles, Motorcycles, and MINI. BMW Group Financial Services Canada is a division of BMW Group Canada and offers retail financing and leasing programs and protection products on new and pre-owned BMW and MINI automobiles, as well as retail financing for new and pre-owned BMW Motorcycles. A total network of 40 BMW automobile retail centres, 19 BMW motorcycle retailers, and 25 MINI retailers represents the BMW Group across the country.

High Fidelity HDTV Inc.

High Fidelity HDTV Inc. is CanadaÔÇÖs leading all-HD broadcasting and production enterprise. Its four channels ÔÇô Oasis HD, Treasure HD, Equator HD and Rush HD, offer audiences the best in primarily non-fiction HD television programming on the themes of Nature, Culture and Adventure. High FidelityÔÇÖs channels are offered Canada-wide via satellite television, and regionally on CanadaÔÇÖs top cable and IPTV companies

Press Release: AMA Pro Racing
Motorcycle Racing Industry Veteran David McGrath Joins AMA Pro Racing

DAYTONA BEACH, FL (February 11, 2010) - AMA Pro Racing is proud to announce that longtime motorcycle racing veteran David McGrath has joined the Daytona Beach organization as Race Director and as a key member of its competition department.

McGrath has an extensive 25 year career in virtually every aspect of motorcycle roadracing and enjoyed a successful stint as a rider. McGrath then progressed into a management role as crew chief for many successful riders and racing programs, which then led to key positions with a number of top motorcycle organizations and manufacturers including Dunlop, Vance & Hines, Buell and American Honda. McGrath's responsibilities have included crew chief, head of research and development departments and overall race and support department management.

"I have had the opportunity to work with some really talented people during my career" said McGrath, "and I've done just about every job in the four corners of the paddock. I am excited to be a part of making AMA Pro Racing as good as it can be and if we can get the motorcycling community all pushing in the same direction, I feel we can see this sport achieve the success it so richly deserves."
David Atlas, COO and Managing Member of AMA Pro Racing welcomed McGrath to the Company, "I am delighted to be adding David to our excellent staff. He will bring a wealth of experience to the sport and he fits in perfectly with the very capable group that we have assembled for this season starting at Daytona and beyond."

McGrath is married and is the father of triplets. He is now in the process of relocating to Florida and will be operating full time out of the Daytona Beach headquarters of AMA Pro Racing.

McGrath doesn't hide his love of the sport, "You could say I have an obsession with this sport and it is a dream come true for me to be a part of a group of people who are as devoted to motorcycle racing as I am."

AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.

-10-149-

For additional information contact:
AMA Pro Racing Communications, (386) 492-1014, communications@amaproracing.com

Bike Cruller

Taken at the 2005 Goodwood Revival, todayÔÇÖs Bike Cruller, a 1954 RS253 500cc twin, comes by way of VintageBike.co.uk.

BMW-RS253-54-2.jpg

BMW-RS253-54-1.jpg

Saturday, Febuary 13

World Superbike et al

worldsbk.com: Yamaha Sterilgarda WSBK team reveal 2010 livery

crash.net: Toseland Cruchlow bullish over 2010 chances\

MotoGP

motogp.com: Lorenzo suffers hand injury in training accident.

crash.net: Hayden undergoes surgery will make next test

crash.net: FB Corse unveils MotoGP contender

Formula 1

formula1.com
: Lotus take the wraps off the T127

bbc.co.uk: Mark Weber optimistic after driving the new Red Bull

uk.reuters.com: New F1 points system and other changes agreed

uk.reuters.com: Trulli calls for patience at Lotus launch

Things are still coming together at US F1 Team :bolt

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Team BMW Husqvarna Motorsport

ÔÇó 12.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release

Off-road team to race under the name ÔÇ£BMW Husqvarna MotorsportÔÇØ.
Evolutionary entrant in the FIM Enduro World Championship.

Munich/Cassinetta. The 2010 season will see BMW Motorrad Motorsport lining up in the E2 class of the FIM Enduro World Championship under the name ÔÇ£BMW Husqvarna MotorsportÔÇØ. The reason for signing up with the FIM under this new name is to achieve a targeted pooling of off-road racing expertise by the two brands BMW Motorrad and Husqvarna Motorcycles in the area of 450 cc four-stroke engines. The aim is to set up an ideal knowledge transfer through this sporting involvement, while at the same time optimising the teamÔÇÖs performance.

Rainer Thoma, President and CEO of Husqvarna Motorcycles, explains: ÔÇ£In order to achieve sustainable economic as well as sporting success, it is essential to exploit synergies as best we can. That is why we are now collaborating intensively with our colleagues at BMW Motorrad. We are pooling the enormous expertise of both brands: know-how from BMW Motorrad will flow to Husqvarna and vice-versa.ÔÇØ

The BMW Husqvarna Motorsport team is set to live up to this target: it will be entering the season with the BMW G 450 X under the team management of Speedbrain. In parallel with this, over the course of the season Husqvarna Motorcycles will be working together with specialists from BMW Motorrad and Speedbrain to develop a machine based on the Husqvarna frame/chassis concept and coupled with the 450 cc four-stroke engine developed by BMW Motorrad. Following extensive trials, the team plans to deploy the motorcycle in the ongoing event.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director Berthold Hauser adds: ÔÇ£Our goal is clear: with the BMW Husqvarna Motorsport team we intend to compete for the title in the E2 class of the 2010 Enduro World Championship. Our E2 class runner-up result in the driversÔÇÖ and manufacturersÔÇÖ championship, our win in the Red Bull Romaniacs and many more triumphs and podium places around the world bear witness to the potential of the BMW G 450 X concept and the teamÔÇÖs outstanding work in the season just past. Our joint involvement in enduro racing now provides the ideal platform on which to test how an authentic Husqvarna with the BMW G 450 X drive concept acquits itself in the competitive arena.ÔÇØ

Team Husqvarna CH Racing will continue to run in the E1 and E3 class of the FIM Enduro World Championship. The Supermoto and Motocross segments will also remain under the Husqvarna banner.

On the Street

: asphaltandrubber.com: Baja to Acquire 90% stake in KTM

Two weeks ago from KTM:

KTM is back in the black
In the first quarter of 2009/10, KTM achieved a consolidated EBIT in the amount of Ôé¼ 6.1m.

EBIT: Ôé¼ 6.1 m , net profit: Ôé¼ 3.6 m (Ôé¼ +31.5 m compared to the previous year)
Revenues: Ôé¼ 110.3 m (-16.6% compared to the previous year)
Free cash flow: Ôé¼ 15.4 m (Ôé¼ +72.9 m compared to the previous year)
Sustainable effects of restructuring measures

Earnings Development
After the toughest fiscal year in the companyÔÇÖs history (2008/09), the KTM Group is back in the black and achieved consolidated revenues in the amount of Ôé¼ 110.3 m (-16.6% compared to the previous year) and anEBIT of Ôé¼ 6.1 m (+36% compared to the previous year) in the first quarter of 2009/10. The net profit increased by Ôé¼ 31.5 m from Ôé¼ -27.9 m in the previous year to Ôé¼ 3.6 m.

KTM has developed favourably in the ÔÇô still declining ÔÇô motorcycle market compared to the current market trend and was able to gain market shares. In total, 17,056 motorcycles (-15% compared to the previous year) were sold in the first quarter of 2009/10. As at November 30th, 2009, we achieved a 36.5% reduction in KTM inventories and 21.3% in dealer inventories from the previous year.

Due to a positive free cash flow, net indebtedness could be reduced from Ôé¼ 243.4 m to Ôé¼ 228.5 m in the first quarter.

Sustainable effects of restructuring measures
KTMÔÇÖs CEO Stefan Pierer stated the following: ÔÇ£The restructuring measures, which had to be implemented in the previous year, have already shown sustainable effects. For example, total costs could be reduced by more than 30% in the first quarter compared to the previous year ÔÇô we are, thus, able to make profits again, even if the sales volume is lower.ÔÇØ

keeptherubbersidedown.net: Reasons to quit motorcycling

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Myrtle Beach spring rally ÔÇô whatÔÇÖs going on

dealernews.com: Utah bill would shave fines for helmet wearers

Via hellforleathermagazine.com ÔÇô Inside Bell Helmets

<object height="233" width="415"><param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/><param value="http://www.vitalmx.com/vplayer/1119%2Emp4" name="movie"/><param value="xml_path=http://www.vitalmx.com/vdata/7ea2832857f07136a43cbc2ea82f73d5?embed=true" name="flashvars"/><param value="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="type"/><embed src="http://www.vitalmx.com/vplayer/1119%2Emp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="233" width="415" flashvars="xml_path=http://www.vitalmx.com/vdata/7ea2832857f07136a43cbc2ea82f73d5?embed=true"></embed></object><p style="margin-top: 0;"><a href="http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Inside-Bell-Helmets,3288/Inside-Bell-Helmets,1119/GuyB,64">Inside Bell Helmets</a> - More <a href="http://www.vitalmx.com">Motocross Videos</a></p>

visordown.com: End of the road for Voxan?

Bike Cruller

BMW R1200R

132989618_dTCkK-M.jpg

Tuesday, February 16

World Superbike et. al.

worldsbk.com: Miller Motorsports Park gears up for WSBK weekend

MotoGP

motogp.com: Paul Denning assesses GSV-R progress and look ahead to Sepang

motogp.com: De Puniet energized by training regime

Other

Off-road team to race under the name "BMW Husqvarna Motorsport".

Evolutionary entrant in the FIM Enduro World Championship.

Munich/Cassinetta. The 2010 season will see BMW Motorrad Motorsport lining up in the E2 class of the FIM Enduro World Championship under the name "BMW Husqvarna Motorsport". The reason for signing up with the FIM under this new name is to achieve a targeted pooling of off-road racing expertise by the two brands BMW Motorrad and Husqvarna Motorcycles in the area of 450 cc four-stroke engines. The aim is to set up an ideal knowledge transfer through this sporting involvement, while at the same time optimising the team's performance.

Rainer Thoma, President and CEO of Husqvarna Motorcycles, explains: "In order to achieve sustainable economic as well as sporting success, it is essential to exploit synergies as best we can. That is why we are now collaborating intensively with our colleagues at BMW Motorrad. We are pooling the enormous expertise of both brands: know-how from BMW Motorrad will flow to Husqvarna and vice-versa."

The BMW Husqvarna Motorsport team is set to live up to this target: it will be entering the season with the BMW G 450 X under the team management of Speedbrain. In parallel with this, over the course of the season Husqvarna Motorcycles will be working together with specialists from BMW Motorrad and Speedbrain to develop a machine based on the Husqvarna frame/chassis concept and coupled with the 450 cc four-stroke engine developed by BMW Motorrad. Following extensive trials, the team plans to deploy the motorcycle in the ongoing event.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director Berthold Hauser adds: "Our goal is clear: with the BMW Husqvarna Motorsport team we intend to compete for the title in the E2 class of the 2010 Enduro World Championship. Our E2 class runner-up result in the drivers' and manufacturers' championship, our win in the Red Bull Romaniacs and many more triumphs and podium places around the world bear witness to the potential of the BMW G 450 X concept and the team's outstanding work in the season just past. Our joint involvement in enduro racing now provides the ideal platform on which to test how an authentic Husqvarna with the BMW G 450 X drive concept acquits itself in the competitive arena."

Team Husqvarna CH Racing will continue to run in the E1 and E3 class of the FIM Enduro World Championship. The Supermoto and Motocross segments will also remain under the Husqvarna banner.

For any queries please contact:
Benjamin Titz, BMW Sports Communications,
phone: +49 89 382 22998, mobile: +49 179 7438088
Martino Bianchi, Husqvarna Communications,
phone: +39 0332756405, mobile: +39 3357466508

Halbert Issued Single Digit Number for Most Combined Points Earned in AMA Pro Flat Track
DAYTONA BEACH, FL (February 12, 2010) - AMA Pro Racing is proud to announce that AMA Pro Flat Track rider Sammy Halbert will be issued a single digit competition number for earning the most points in the combined AMA Pro Expert Singles and Twins divisions of 2009 AMA Pro Grand National Championship.
Tradition has reserved single digit numbers for former AMA Pro Flat Track National Champions, however an exception has been made for Halbert in recognition of the effort, dedication and contribution that he made during the 2009 AMA Pro Flat Track season.
"The single digit number for Halbert has been being discussed since our awards banquet last October," said Mike Kidd, AMA Pro Racing Director of Flat Track. "We feel the single digit number is well deserved based on his accomplishments and is something that Sammy will cherish."
Beginning with the 2010 season, AMA Pro Racing will recognize the rider who earns the most combined points in the Grand National Championship Singles and Twins divisions as the AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Champion.

-10-150-
For additional information contact:
AMA Pro Racing Communications, (386) 492-1014, communications@amaproracing.com

Formula 1

crash.net: In-season F1 testing ban amended

Former BMW Sauber driver Robert Kubica is pleased with early Renault progress.

The US F1 factory building has been placed up for sale. Crash.net sounds a bit skeptical about the teams attempt to down play the rumors that have resulted. The fact that the building is up for sale could be nothing more than a real estate deal and cash management. If this is part of a planed evolution of the teamÔÇÖs business plans it is no big deal. If it is an effort by a cash strapped F1 team to raise funds it is another sign of the pending downfall of the team. I suspect the later.

On the Street

Bikes in the Fast Lane: Riders for Health documentary online

thekneeslider.com: Turn signal jackets with sewn in turn signals.

asphaltandrubber.com: KTM speaks on ownership rumors ÔÇô denies what?

NortonÔÇÖs return has been fun to follow. RoadRacing World[url] updates that apparently Superbike racer Chris Walker is now a sales manager for Norton.

[url=http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2010/02/16/spanish-custom-motorcycle-scene/]cyrilhuzblog.com
: Spanish custom motorcycle scene

From the AMA

Update: US Forest Service Launches Effort to Rewrite Forest Planning Rule -- Shifts Focus to 'Restoration'
Pre-written Response Available - Comments Due on February 16, 2010

The AMA circulated the following alert in January but given the complexity of the Forest Service's Notice of Intent (NOI) many AMA members have requested that the AMA make available a pre-written response. A brief pre-written response is now available by clicking the "Rapid Response Center" tab to the right.

The AMA encourages riders to personalize the pre-written response as much as possible by drawing on their own public land experiences.

In December, the USDA Forest Service announced that it would rewrite the national forest system land management-planning rule. The planning rule sets priorities and defines the process for the development and revision of site-specific management plans for every national forest or grassland.

The Forest Service has issued three planning rules since 2000 but two of them have been struck down by legal challenges and the 2000 rule has never been utilized because of its "complexity". In effect most current forest plans have been written under the planning rule of 1982.

The Forest Service raises a number of noteworthy concepts in the scoping document (Federal Register - December 18, 2009). Foremost being the concept of "restoration" which is heavily stressed but never defined. Nor does the document examine how making "restoration" a priority would affect recreation or other land uses. Rather the agency asks the public to provide comment on what "restoration" ought to mean. However, last August, Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack stated publicly, "Restoration means managing forest lands first and foremost to protect our water resources, while making our forests more resilient to climate change."

Adaption to climate change and resiliency are frequently referenced in the document but it is left to the public to comment on how those concepts should be applied. Similarly the document suggests that local forest planners should not limit themselves to planning for National Forest Service land but should expand their efforts to include "all-lands" or whole watersheds.

Wrongly applied to local planning processes, many of the concepts raised in the scoping document could be very problematic for maintaining recreational access to public lands for a number of activities - including motorized recreation. The AMA strongly encourages off-highway vehicle enthusiasts to review the proposal and to provide written comment to the agency on the importance of recognizing recreational access in the forest planning process.

The Forest Service's Notice of Intent, background materials and information on how to comment are available at www.fs.usda.gov/planningrule. Comments will be accepted until February 16th.

The Forest Service expects to develop a proposed rule and a draft environmental impact statement by late fall 2010. The public will have additional comment opportunities at that time.

and in the Water

BMW ORACLE Racing wins 33rd AmericaÔÇÖs Cup. The US-Challenger defeats the Defender 2 to 0.
ÔÇó 14.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Munich/ Valencia. The BMW ORACLE Racing team has won the 33rd AmericaÔÇÖs Cup, dethroning Swiss holder Alinghi. The challengerÔÇÖs spectacular trimaran ÔÇ£USA 17ÔÇØ, with its futuristic 68-metre wing sail, defeated the catamaran ÔÇ£Alinghi 5ÔÇØ in the waters off Valencia on the second day to record the decisive second win. The best-of-three match ended 2-0 in favour of the US crew of owner Larry Ellison. This Deed of Gift series saw the holder and challenger go head-to-head in a straight duel.

ÔÇ£Congratulations to Larry Ellison and his whole crew!ÔÇØ said Ian Robertson, BMW AG Board Member for Sales and Marketing. ÔÇ£The goal we have all been working towards for over two and a half years has now been achieved. This has been a fantastic performance by the whole team. As Technology Partner, we have also made a successful contribution to winning the worldÔÇÖs most prestigious sporting trophy. We have positioned BMW as a competent partner in competitive sailing and have firmly established the transfer of technology in the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup. On the construction side, BMW engineers have set new benchmarks for intelligent lightweight design. Added to which, among the relevant target group, BMW is the highest-profile brand in competitive sailing.ÔÇØ

With 159 years of history, the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup is the worldÔÇÖs oldest sporting competition and brings together the best professional sailors, yacht designers and boat builders of their generation in the pursuit of perfection. For the 33rd AmericaÔÇÖs Cup, the BMW ORACLE Racing designers and engineers were charged with one of the most exacting challenges in the long history of the event. The design rules were wide open, and experts from a wide variety of specialist areas, such as materials research, aerospace, composite materials, electronics, data analysis and numerous branches of engineering, have all played their part in the design and construction of the high-tech yacht.

BMW engineers, for example, contributed their knowledge and EfficientDynamics expertise in the area of intelligent lightweight design. The aim was to build a yacht that was as light and torsionally stiff as possible and could stand up to the rigours of the race. In multihull racing, it is particularly important to keep weight low, as the yacht which can raise a float out of the water the quickest has a major advantage. The transfer of knowledge from the BMW engineers was not a one-way street; the valuable expertise gained over the course of the project will all find its way back to the BMW Research and Innovation Centre (FIZ). BMW has been involved in the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup as a Technology Partner since 2002.

The future involvement of BMW in the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup will depend on the development and organisation of the competition going forward. As Robertson explains: ÔÇ£We will make a decision on our further involvement in the AmericaÔÇÖs Cup over the coming weeks. What is already certain is that BMW will continue to be represented actively in yacht racing. We will go on playing an active role in raising global interest in sailing in the future and continue to use projects such as the BMW Sailing Cup and regional events in the various markets as a platform for customer relations and to further strengthen the BMW brand values.ÔÇØ

The BMW Group
The BMW Group is one of the most successful manufacturers of automobiles and motorcycles in the world with its BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brands. As a global company, the BMW Group operates 24 production facilities in 13 countries and has a global sales network in more than 140 countries. The BMW Group achieved a global sales volume of approximately 1.29 million automobiles and over 87,000 motorcycles for the 2009 financial year. Revenues for 2009 totalled euro 50.68 billion. At 31 December 2009, the company employed a global workforce of approximately 96,000 associates. The success of the BMW Group has always been built on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy. As a result of its efforts, the BMW Group has been ranked industry leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for the last five years.

Bike Cruller

A classic cruller for you today; if you followed the Morning Reads in the past you may remember a long post about Munch Motorcycles. I will let you search the forum for the thread and just give you a link to the complete photo gallery for that post and this engine picture.

179749421_pvRjE-M.jpg

Friday, February 19

Sorry only an F1 post and no cruller. I have been obsessing about US F1.

Formula1.com

I have been following news of Miracle Max as he has been working to save US F1.
- There dead. No just the web site is down and servers are being repaired.
- There dead. No the car is still in development and the release to the public could be race weekend.
- There dead. Thankfully no response from Peter Windsor has come recently which in itself could be a response.

The failure to produce a real car to show to the public and drive on a test track has continued to spark rumors of all sorts. The press is interpreting the bits and pieces as signs of the pending death of US F1 if in fact it has not already happened. I tend to agree with them but there are other explanations which could drag this mess on life support through the season.

The Factory

I commented on the sale of the factory recently. As a business plan sale of the factory then renting it back can make sense to a racing team that needs every cent of operating capital. The story everyone is failing to dig into is the failure of the team to produce a car. I can do that long distance from fly-over-land.

The Web Site

The US F1 web site went down which sent out a new set of rumors that the team was dead. Twitter to the rescue: "The web server is down and is being repaired as this is written. We are not gone, as many have reported. More news soon." I checked the site again this AM and it is back up.

Chad Hurley

The YouTube co founderÔÇÖs participation as an investor in the team was big news. Rumors have been floating that he and head of business development Brian Bonner have left the team. The rumor mill has Hurley talking with Campos about getting involved there. Why? There could be another reason beyond jumping out of his seat at US F1.

In the off season meetings at Monaco, which were caped by the awarding of the F1 Championship trophies to Button and Brawn, how to better use the internet to bring the sport to the world and increase value for EcclestoneÔÇÖs group, the FIA and team owners was a major topic of seminars. Hurley may well be talking with Campos. They are a new team with few links and commitments to web developers. Talks with Campos could be the first of many in an effort by Hurley to stake his claim to some of the business and money out there.

The Car

The team has one driver and could start the season that way. The obstacle to that is not an interpretation of the contract they have with Ecclestone but the apparent lack of a car. Yes we have seen video of a nose and a chassis being wired but there remains the lack of a car unlike other new teams.

Campos has a car that needs to go to the track and be tested. Virgin has an undependable car that keeps using up all the spares the team has thus limiting test track time. Lotus has a car that is reported to have great promise but Kovy stuck it into the gravel then a wall and ended testing. Stephan GP is busily working away at the former Toyota F1 Cologne base to develop an entry should the opportunity come up. Reuters is reporting that Stephan GP is nearing a deal to sign Villeneuve and that car development is continuing.

US F1

The silence of Peter Windsor over the last month could be explained away as a man focused on his team in the final days before its first season. But the loquacious Windsor has never been at a loss for words in the past. His silence echoes in the garage that should house a US F1 car.

I am not a Peter Windsor fan yet I can find explanations for all the rumors that have a US F1 car on the grid to start the 2010 F1 season. Yet all those explanations and a buck will still only get you a small coffee and change at the official fly-over-land gas station. I wish Miracle Max well but I fear the patient is dead not just mostly dead.

Saturday, February 20

World Superbike

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Phillip Island – Preview

• Press Release

26th – 28th February 2010

1st of 13 World Championship race weekends

Munich/Stephanskirchen, 19th February 2010. Finally the waiting is over. The teams in the FIM Superbike World Championship are preparing for the first race weekend of the 2010 season from 26th to 28th February in Australia. The riders and teams will lock horns at the Phillip Island Circuit, located 120 kilometres southeast of Melbourne in the state of Victoria.

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport has been preparing relentlessly for the season ahead, with the crews in Stephanskirchen and Munich working flat out on the development of the bike and team. In January Troy Corser (AUS) and Ruben Xaus (ESP) together racked up 1,985 kilometres of testing in Portimao and Valencia, despite poor weather conditions.

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport has set itself some ambitious targets for its second season in the Superbike World Championship. The young team, which amassed a total of 17 top-ten finishes last year, is aiming to record its first podium finish over the course of 2010.

Troy Corser:
“For me the weekend on Phillip Island is always something special as it’s my home race. I took the opportunity once again to go back home and spend some time with friends and family.

I think I can speak for the majority of the riders when I say that Phillip Island is one of the best circuits around. I always hugely enjoy competing there – and not only because it’s my home track. From a rider’s point of view, the circuit flows very nicely, and safety levels are very high. Every year I look forward to the annual ‘Corser weekend’ at the track. My family, friends and a lot of guys from back in New South Wales come along to support me. The atmosphere’s just great.”

Ruben Xaus:
“Phillip Island is like paradise. The people are unbelievably welcoming and the atmosphere is very laid-back. It’s a proper ‘natural’ circuit here; there’s really nothing else like it on the Superbike World Championship calendar. But it’s not only the landscape that’s fantastic; the track layout is something special and there are a lot of fast, flowing corners.

We got off to a good start here in our debut season. Troy came in eighth in Race 1 and I finished 11th in the second race. I’m confident that we can raise our level from last year. The team has moved forward a lot. We now have data from all the circuits, as well as a whole lot more experience than in 2009. I can’t wait for the season to start.”

Berthold Hauser, BMW Motorrad Motorsport Director:
“We are delighted that the first race weekend of the season is once again taking place in Australia. There’s always a very special atmosphere here. The Australians are sports-mad and have been well and truly bitten by the Superbike bug. Last year both riders recorded encouraging results in the first two races for our team, and we’re also hoping to enjoy a good start to our second season on the grid.

We have taken big strides forward as a team and are approaching our second season in confident mood. Last year we finished in the top ten on 17 occasions. Our goal for 2010 is to close the gap to the leading teams, and we’ll be looking to post our first podium finish. That’s the ambitious aim we have set ourselves for our second year in what is an extremely challenging World Championship.”

Background:
With the exception of 1993, the Phillip Island Circuit in Australia has hosted the Superbike World Championship every year since 1990. The circuit was christened after its island venue, which is connected to the state of Victoria by a bridge measuring more than 600 metres in length. The circuit was built directly on the water’s edge in 1956, since when it has been given several upgrades. Big variations in elevation and a buffeting wind blowing in off the sea are characteristic features of the circuit.

As well as the Superbike World Championship, the Phillip Island Circuit also hosts races in the MotoGP World Championship and V8 Supercar series. It was here in 1996 that Troy Corser celebrated his first Superbike World Championship title in front of his home crowd. Corser heads the all-time winners’ list at the circuit with seven victories.

The last corner, taken in fourth gear, is particularly crucial in setting a fast lap at Phillip Island. How well the riders negotiate this corner dictates how much speed they can carry into the Gardner Straight. Here, you need to be careful to avoid wheelies and excessive wheel spin. The riders have to hit the line through Doohan Corner spot on in order to get themselves in the right position for the challenging Southern Loop. Then it’s a drop down along the Bass Strait section into the Honda hairpin, the first of the lap and an extremely important area of the track.
Facts and figures:

Circuit/Date
Phillip Island Circuit / 28th February 2010
Start time Race 1 (local/CET)
12.00 hrs / 02.00 hrs
Start time Race 2 (local/CET)
15.30 hrs / 05.30 hrs
Lap/Race distance
4.445 km/97.790 km (22 laps)
Corners
7 left-hand and 5 right-hand corners
Winner
Race 1: Noriyuki Haga, Ducati Xerox Team, 34:22.631 min
Race 2: Ben Spies, Yamaha WSB, 34:20.457 min
Fastest race lap 2009
Noriyuki Haga, Ducati Xerox Team, 1:32.406 min
Data 2009:

Top speed: 315.2 km/h (Max Biaggi, Race 1)
Longest section at full throttle: 9.8 sec / 715 m
Fastest corner: Turn 3, 5th gear, 255 km/h
Maximum deceleration: 244 km/h – 66 km/h

BMW is not the only team undergoing management changes.
worldsbk.com: Francesco Guidotti becomes new Aprilia SBK team manager

Andrew Pitt Tries Reitwagen BMW For Size At Phillip Island Ride Day
Phillip Island Ride Day customers were treated to a special experience earlier this week when Australian dual World Supersport Champion Andrew Pitt tried his new Reitwagen BMW Team S 1000 RR for size in the A group over two days.

With electronic components failing to arrive in time for the team to take part in their official test at Eastern Creek in early January, the decision was made to allow Andrew to spend a few days lapping Phillip Island to make a start on bike preparations in the lead up to official testing this coming weekend.

Andrew Pitt, "Although this was not at all what I would call a test, the laps were very valuable in setting up riding position for footpegs, levers, handlebars and so forth, plus allowed us to scrub brake discs and find a starting point for geometry.
We also learned a small amount about tyre wear and we have helpful data to take to the official tests this weekend.

"With the amount of traffic and the speed of the superbike compared to road bikes, obviously safety of other riders and myself was a priority over the two days and although no timing equipment is allowed I would estimate that I was a good few seconds off normal testing pace. However, this still allowed us to play with geometry and riding position and allowed me to become familiar with the bike.

"There is no doubt the bike is very fast and the power curve is nice so I'm looking forward to really pushing the bike this weekend."

Special thanks to Steve Brouggy and team from Phillip Island Ride Days.
To follow Andrew's progress or email him fan mail visit his website

www.andrewpitt.com
Andrew Pitt
Racing number: 88
Date of birth: February 19, 1976.
Birthplace: Kempsey NSW, Australia.
First race: 1994 Oran Park, NSR250 Formula 2
First win: 1994 Oran Park, NSR 250 Formula 2 (Won first ever race)
World Supersport debut: 2000, Australia, Phillip island
First World Supersport win: 2002 Australian, Phillip Island.
Total World Supersport wins: 7
Total World Supersport podiums: 21
World Superbike debut: 2005, Qatar, Losail
First World Superbike win: 2006, Misano
Total World Superbike wins: 1
Total World Superbike podium places: 6
World Championship Titles
World Supersport Champion 2001 - Kawasaki, 2008 - Honda.
Career Highlights
1996: 2nd Australian 250cc production Championship
1997: Victorian Supersport Champion
1998: 2nd Australian Supersport Championship
1999: Australian Supersport Champion, 2nd Superbike - Kawasaki
2000: 10th World Supersport Championship - Kawasaki
2001: World Supersport Champion - Kawasaki
2002: 5th World Supersport Championship
26th MotoGP World Championship - Kawasaki
2003: 26th MotoGP World Championship - Kawasaki
2004: 27th MotoGP World Championship - Moriwaki
12th World Supersport Championship - Yamaha
2005: 8th World Superbike Championship - Yamaha
2006: 5th World Superbike Championship - Yamaha
2007: 17th World Supersport Championship - Honda
2008: World Supersport Champion - Honda
2009: Sixth World Supersport Championship ?ó€“ Honda

AMA Pro Racing

Press Release:

AMA Pro Road Racing – Competitor Bulletin #2010-07

To: AMA Pro Road Racing Community
Date: February 18, 2010
Subject: AMA Pro Road Racing - Competitor Bulletin #2010-07

Competitor Bulletin #2010-06, regarding regulations for scheduled pit stops during a race & red flag situations for the Daytona 200 ONLY

Press Release:
AMA Pro Road Racing – Competitor Bulletin #2010-06

To: AMA Pro Road Racing Community
Date: February 18, 2010
Subject: AMA Pro Road Racing - Competitor Bulletin #2010-06

Competitor Bulletin #2010-06, regarding the next approved AMA Pro Road Racing test that will be held April 1st and 2nd at Infineon Raceway.

Press Release:

SPEED to Air AMA Pro Flat Track GNC Short Track National on All-New DAYTONA?« Flat Track

DAYTONA BEACH, FL (February 19, 2010) - AMA Pro Racing and Daytona International Speedway are pleased to announce the Daytona Short Track National will air in high-definition Sunday, March 7th on SPEED at 6 p.m. ET.
Back-to-back Daytona Short Track Nationals will kick off the 2010 AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Championship at the new DAYTONA?« Flat Track on March 3rd and 4th. After traditionally being staged at Daytona Beach Municipal Stadium, the events now have a new home on a quarter-mile lime rock dirt track located in the West Lot outside NASCAR Turns 1 and 2.

The one hour show will feature highlights from March 3rd with coverage of the March 4th race. The Daytona Short Track Nationals have a tradition as two of the most difficult nationals of the year just to make the main events, as over 300 entries are expected over the two days. Speed will capture the excitement and thrills of handle bar to handle bar action on the ultra fast quarter-mile track.

Henry Wiles will make his first appearance of the year carrying the No. 1 plate on his Kawasaki 450 after winning the 2009 AMA Pro Grand National Expert Singles division. Defending Pro Singles National Champion Brad Baker will make his debut on a Honda 450 carrying the No. 1 in the Pro Singles National.

"We are thrilled that our season opener on the new DAYTONA?« Flat Track will be on SPEED," AMA Pro Racing Director of Flat Track, Mike Kidd said. "This is a great opportunity for our fans, riders, teams and sponsors to showcase one of the most exciting forms of motorcycle racing in the country."

SPEED™ is the nation's first and foremost cable television network dedicated to motor sports and the passion for everything automotive. From racing to restoration, motorcycles to movies, SPEED delivers quality programming from the track to the garage. Now available in more than 79 million homes in North America, SPEED is among the fastest-growing sports cable networks in the country and, the home to NASCAR on SPEED and an industry leader in interactive TV, video on demand, mobile initiatives and broadband services. For more information, please visit SPEEDtv.com, the online motor sports authority.

Formula 1

Campos has a new principal share holder that puts its financial worries at rest.
formula1.com: Kolles in charge as Campos takeover confirmed
"Over the next 10 days we will review the entire operation, find the extra funding to ensure the team will make the first race in Bahrain, announce the line-up for 2010 in due time and make the operation viable under Jose Ramon Carabante's new ownership."

Tech Talk:

Ferrari F10 – angled engine mounting

McLaren MP4-25 – rear aero solutions

On the Street

The new BMW S 1000 RR lands down under

This was the email subject line from an Australian motorcycle newsletter I subscribe to. The text was full of the normal press release dribble that I will spare you from. Two things I will share are the prices in Australian and New Zealand dollars (head out to your own favorite currency converter to make your own assessment of cost) and the closing lines of the press release.

Manufacturer's List Price
S 1000 RR $21,900* ($27,325 NZ)
S 1000 RR Sport (with Race ABS and DTC) $24,400* ($30,445 NZ)

Available options include:
* Anti-Theft Alarm System $505 ($630 NZ)
* Motorsport Colour scheme $765 ($955 NZ)

With initial demand expected to exceed supply BMW Motorrad Dealers are currently taking customer orders with first customer deliveries commencing mid February, 2010
-end-

The S1000RR continues to have issues on the track but around it seems to be a big hit selling out of the planed production run. BMW’s stated goals for the sportbike market were never to dominate it but to take around a 10% share worldwide. In the last estimate I saw BMW was putting that market at around 85,000 units per year or 8,500 bikes for BMW.

BWM S1000RR titanium vales at 14,700 RPM via asphaltandrubber.com and YouTube
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSDa-EUT3ZE&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSDa-EUT3ZE&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is more less?
ducatinewstoday.com: How technology is killing the motorcycle

Video: 2010 MV Agusta F4 ‘more useable, but still a wild ride’
<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=66722038001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Bike Culler

Today’s cruller comes by way of The Kneeslider and their article on Gunnar Sorensen.

gunnar-great-dane.jpg

This bike represents three years of work by Sorensen machining and casting various parts. The article will give you more details. Follow the link to Gunnar Sorensens’s site and you will be treated to more pictures of the works from this master builder.

P.S. The site is not in English so bring your translator or just drool at the pictures.

Last edited:
Monday, February 22

WSBK et al.

worldsbk.com: Fabrizio leaves with top SBK time
BMW finished the Phillip Island session looking at the top ten times from the outside. Xaus 1th and Corser 14th fastest times. So what does all of this mean? Testing is just that, testing. Without knowing the test plans for the individual teams it is hard to properly rank riders and bikes. Yet the times do give an indication of where BMW is at. The team does not seem to have made up any ground on the competition while at the same time not really loosing any. Podium finishes should not be expected till later in the season if at all. The base bike continues to be strong but hampered by the black box and difficulty laying the base performance down on the track.

Life for last years top teams is not without problems.
crash.net: R1 chatter causing Yamaha grumbles

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Phillip Island - Test Day 1
ÔÇó 21.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Sunny, with a sea breeze.
Temperature: Air: 23 ÔÇô 27 ??C, Track: 28 ÔÇô 39 ??C
Number of riders participating: 24 from 14 teams
Fastest lap overall: Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) 1:31.959 min
Circuit length: 4.445 km

Programme:
Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport today focussed on the basic set-up of Troy CorserÔÇÖs (AUS) and Ruben XausÔÇÖ (ESP) BMW S 1000 RR. With the first World Championship race weekend just ahead, the riders spent a lot of time out on the track. During the second session, Ruben crashed in turn 10, but was able to return to the team garage and to continue testing. The team did not face any technical problems.

Troy Corser:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
Test kilometres today: 347 (78 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:33.766 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:33.299 min

ÔÇ£It is always nice to come to Phillip Island as it is my home race. The bike is quite different to when we came here last year. Today we were testing different tyres and worked on the balance of the bike. We tried to find grip and made adjustments step by step.ÔÇØ

Ruben Xaus:
Test kilometres today: 316 (71 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:34.246 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:33.498 min

ÔÇ£Compared to last yearÔÇÖs season start, the bike feels a lot better. We found a lot of grip. I fell off the bike in turn 10 today. However, I was able to bring the bike back to the garage and we could improve our lap time later. So it was not a big issue.ÔÇØ

What comes next:
The team will continue testing at Phillip Island Circuit on Monday.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - Superbike World Championship - Phillip Island - Test Day 2
ÔÇó 22.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Weather conditions: Overcast in the morning, later sunny and windy.
Temperature: Air: 21 ÔÇô 25 ??C, Track: 21 ÔÇô 47 ??C
Number of riders participating: 24 from 14 teams
Fastest lap overall: Michel Fabrizio (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:31.650 min
Circuit length: 4.445 km

Programme:
A wet track, in the morning only, allowed for limited track time in the beginning of the first session. With the tarmac drying up, both Ruben Xaus (ESP) and Troy Corser (AUS) completed a lot of laps and made good progress with the set-up of the BMW S 1000 RR. Their respective crews compared the different tyre compounds and worked on the chassis and suspension set-up.

Ruben Xaus:
Test kilometres today: 338 (76 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:33.095 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:32.714 min

ÔÇ£I am quite satisfied with todayÔÇÖs test. Especially our lap time in the afternoon makes me confident. The rideability of the bike has improved a lot. I have the feeling that we took the right decisions over the course of the test. My crew did a good job and I am confident that we can score quite good results during the race weekend.ÔÇØ

Troy Corser:
Test kilometres today: 249 (56 laps)
Fastest lap free practice 1: 1:32.819 min / Fastest lap free practice 2: 1:33.885 min

ÔÇ£We tested many things today. Some things felt well, some things not. For me, the bike still is a little nervous on bumps ÔÇô both on acceleration and deceleration. In the afternoon we worked on making the bike more comfortable and controllable on bumps. We have got lots of information about many, many things. We now have to analyze the data and see what we can do. The fact that the bike is quite different to last year makes a proper comparison a little difficult.ÔÇØ

What comes next:
While the team will stay at Phillip Island for the next couple of days, Troy will be at the official Infront Motor Sports pre-event press conference on Wednesday morning at MelbourneÔÇÖs Eureka Skydeck 88. It is the highest public vantage point in the Southern Hemisphere (300 metres in height) and the only observation deck in the world that can thrill visitors with ÔÇÿThe EdgeÔÇÖ, a glass cube which projects three metres out of the building.

Formula 1 and 

autosport.com: US F1 seeks permission to miss races
ÔÇ£In an interview with the New York Times yesterday, Anderson revealed that US F1 was unlikely to make it to Bahrain on March 14, and was seeking to miss the Australian, Malaysian and Chinese Grands Prix as well.ÔÇØ

-related-

speedtv.com: US F1 mulls options
ÔÇ£President of the FIA Senate, American Nick Craw, says the sport's governing body will work with USF1 to help them make the grid. He also confirmed the fledging F1 team, who are struggling for funding, have asked for clarification on the rule about skipping races.ÔÇØ

formula1.com: Vigin ÔÇô hydraulic issues have cost us dear
-related-
autosport.com: Wirth admits Virgin behind schedule

autosport.com: Stefan GP cancels Portimao test

Tech Talk
Red Bull RB6 ÔÇô higher gearbox positioning

On the Street

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Auction of private collection of 100 vintage motocles
On February 27, 2010 at the Royal Air Force (RAF) Museum in Hendon, England, Bonhams will auction 100 mainly pre-1950 motorcycles belonging to a prominent Spanish private collector.

BMW announced a plan to build an electric car. The focus of the vehicle is for the urban setting. The company has been working on hydrogen powered cars for many years and has used the 7 Series as its flagship for this development. There is no indication that the announcement signals an abandonment of that project or that this electric car development is being done in concert with that effort as a multi-track approach.

The emphasis on Germany as the home of the project is interesting for several reasons. BMW auto and motorcycle production has been spread across the globe in recent years. Sub components and assembly plants can be found on every continent. Those plants produce products developed in Germany. This allows for expansion and contraction of production with relative ease to meet the demands of various markets. While it provides jobs and development in the host countries it does little to foster innovation at any level beyond tailoring products designed in Germany to the host countries market. The electric project continues this approach.

The MINI has been the test bed to date for BMW electric vehicles. The development for the MINI has been more along the lines of a retro-fit of electric power to that platform than anything like a new line of thought. When it comes to innovation the development has been brought back in house and under the banner of the Roundel.

The implications for motorcycles are not clear and will be realized in the long term if at all. The announcement of the C1e concept late last year suggests that BMW sees electric power as one of the future power sources for motorcycles. Technology developed for the new car such as batteries and controllers could trickle down to the Motorrad segment of BMW.

BMW Group to build progressive electric vehicle in Leipzig with major components from Bavaria. Clear commitment to Germany as the home of production.
ÔÇó 22.02.2010
ÔÇó Press Release
Munich. The BMW Group is developing BMW Plant Leipzig to produce an electric vehicle and making additional investments in a number of facilities in Bavaria. In a joint venture with SGL Carbon, SGL Automotive Fibers GmbH & Co KG, carbon fibre fabrics will be produced in Wackersdorf and processed to CFRP components for the new vehicle at BMW Plant Landshut.

Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of BMW AG, confirmed clearly the companyÔÇÖs commitment to Germany as an industrial centre: ÔÇ£The BMW Group will build the car of the future in Leipzig with high-tech innovations from Bavaria. The main reasons behind this decision are the qualities that Germany has to offer: we have a tried and tested production network here and high levels of education and outstanding competencies at our disposal.ÔÇØ

With this decision to produce in Leizpig, Landhsut and Wackersdorf, the BMW Group is preparing for series production of a car known by its project name of Megacity Vehicle. With this new automobile, the BMW Group will be providing an innovative solution for sustainable mobility in urban environments. It is being developed as part of project i and is due to reach the market in the first half of this decade under a sub-brand of BMW.
-related-

hellforleathermagazine.com: 200 million electric motorcycles by 2016
Pike Research

Bike Cruller

129424953_vrQpb-M.jpg

Wednesday, February 24

WSBK et al.

World Superbike likes it down under and will be staying until at least 2014 at Phillips Island

BSB

crash.net: BMW choose Jentlin, Brogan for BSB debut
ÔÇ£BMW has confirmed it will enter the MCE British Superbike Championship in 2010 after coming to an agreement with Jentin Racing to enter a bike for Steve Brogan in the Evo category.ÔÇØ

MotoGP

Dorna head visits the Inmotec to check in the development of the GP1 10 bike. Currently scheduled to debut in July it will be the first Spanish built GP machine.

Formula 1 and 

formula1.com: Key to replace Rampf at Sauber

bbc.co.uk: F1 teams ready for pre-season showdown
Ferrari has been led testing to date but this is testing.
ÔÇ£But things can change very quickly. None of the cars has so far run in the specification in which they will compete in Bahrain, and all of the teams will have updates for this week's runs in Barcelona, and yet more for the first race of the campaign. The difference those updates make to each car's performance could easily shuffle the competitive order significantly.ÔÇØ

The pack that has tested to date may shuffle in Jerez testing but Stephan GP continues to think the grid in Bahrain will see a shuffle also.
"Definitely, we are waiting for something to happen because the time is very short and the deadline for Bahrain is approaching," the businessman told Reuters on Wednesday.
"If you are going to Bahrain you have to be packed by next Wednesday and we think we will be able to reach something by then."
Tech Talk
Mercedes MPG W01 - pyramid-shaped roll structure

F1 Rumors ÔÇô crash.net: LopezÔÇÖs Campos switch to herald US F1 merger?

On the Street

spotart.jpg

I bumped into this image on several sites today. For the rider that does not have the luxury of secure storage for their bike the British company Motosafe has this idea.

ÔÇ£The Motosafe is an ultra secure motorbike parking garage.Safe behind a 6 bolt locked and powered door, each Motosafe allows a rider to store not only a bike, but helmet, leathers, boots and other gear on the shelf and hangers which are provided inside.

Constructed from heavy duty galvanised steel with up and over door with no external hinges 10mm thick locking bars with secure ground fixing points. Three external locking points high security ,anti-drill and anti-saw padlocks included.

Delivered to your door for easy assembly, with full instructions provided. Can be secured to both hardstanding or grass and the weatherproof design ensures a dry and clean bike.

Corrosion and maintenance free galvanised finish.

Space to store oil, parts and accessories and fully ventilated to prevent condensation
ÔÇØ

I did not find pricing but it would have been in pounds and you would have to add shipping costs. Motosafe claims there may be insurance savings to be had if you have one which would offset some of the acquisition costs over time.

Another British based company may be coming up with new bikes to put into a Motosafe for you.

Triumph has been one manufacturer that has bucked the downward trend by showing sales increase. Now Hell for Leather Magazine is reporting it will be rolling out seven new models by the end of 2012 and speculates about market segments that Triumph has left untapped with its current line.

If the Motosafe is not your choice to house a Triumph BMW or other bike because you have a real garage does your shop match up to the beautiful functional home workshops that The Kneeslider is showing?

Where to put the compressor is a question raised by many as they plan their workshops. If the bike or cage you work on is electric you may need to plan space for a Bloom Box too.

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

This 1977 BMW R100/7 comes by way of bieexif.com and its German owner.

bmw-r100-cafe-racer.jpg

Thursday, February 25

WSBK et al.

visordown.com: Aprilia BMW and KTM join BBS for 2010

The buzz form the BMW Motorrad newsletter.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport back for Superbike World Championship season opener

For motorsport fans it has been a long wait but this weekend marks a welcome return of the Superbike World Championship, which kicks off at Phillip Island circuit in Australia ÔÇô the same venue where BMW Motorrad MotorsportÔÇÖs inaugural WSBK season began just 12 months ago.

Having surprised everybody with such strong performances and 17 top ten finishes in their first year of competition with the S 1000 RR Superbike, BMW Motorrad Motorsport is confident of building on this and will be targeting podium finishes in its second season with top riders Troy Corser and Ruben Xaus.

It has been a busy few months for BMW Motorrad. Indeed, the successful press launch and subsequent arrival of the series production S 1000 RR in dealerships worldwide has meant that the hugely praised 193 hp Superbike has rarely been out of the headlines. Following JanuaryÔÇÖs ÔÇÿshakedownÔÇÖ tests in Portugal and Spain ÔÇô where Corser and Xaus delivered almost 2,000 kilometres worth of riding feedback to their crews ÔÇô the team has since arrived at Phillip Island and completed the final official pre-season tests in preparation for the first round of the championship on Sunday.

After two days of testing alongside all the other teams in a variety of weather conditions, both BMW riders completed plenty of laps, with Xaus setting his best time of 1:32.714 on the second session of the final day and finishing 11th fastest overall.

ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm quite satisfied with todayÔÇÖs test ÔÇô especially the lap times set in the afternoon make me confident,ÔÇØ said Ruben. ÔÇ£The rideability of the bike has improved a lot and I have the feeling that we made good progress over the course of the tests. My crew did a great job and IÔÇÖm confident that we can score some good results during the race weekend.ÔÇØ

ÔÇÿLocalÔÇÖ hero Troy Corser posted a fastest lap of 1:32.8 after completing 78 laps on Sunday and 56 laps during a rain-interrupted Monday test. His home circuit is one of his favourites and he is ready and raring to go this weekend.

"For me the weekend at Phillip Island is always something special and I think I can speak for the majority of the riders when I say that it is one of the best circuits around. I always hugely enjoy competing there ÔÇô and not just because it's my home track. From a rider's point of view, the circuit flows very nicely, and safety levels are very high. Every year I look forward to the annual 'Corser weekend' at the track. My family and friends always come along to support me and the atmosphere's just great."

Sharp-eyed race fans will have noticed the prominent ÔÇÿ3asy RideÔÇÖ logo on Troy and RubenÔÇÖs S 1000 RR race bikes, as well as on their leathers. This innovative, manufacturer-backed finance programme is currently being rolled out internationally and offers riders three easy options to get on a BMW and discover the many benefits of the brand. Watch this space for more details on this great new BMW product.

Meanwhile, back to Phillip Island and more good news for BMW fans. There will be a total of four BMW riders on the grid, as factory riders Troy and Ruben will be joined by Team Reitwagen BMW riders Andrew Pitt and Roland Resch, who will compete alongside the works squad and are determined to challenge the regular championship top-runners. This welcome new addition to the BMW family will definitely be worth watching throughout 2010, as will the BMW Motorrad Italia-supported team of Ayrton Badovini and Daniele Beretta, who are both competing in the FIM Superstock series that supports WSBK European rounds.

Those fans that arenÔÇÖt lucky enough to make the journey to Australia to watch the World Superbike races live will be glad to know that a full race results service will be available in English and German on the www.bmw-motorrad.com website, including previews, qualifying and race reports. And those who want to receive all the news from the races via email, can simply subscribe to the BMW Motorrad Motorsport newsletter.

<param name="FlashVars" value="configPath=http://bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6495%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6495%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<embed src="http://bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6495%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="224" height="207" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="configPath=http://bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=6495%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
</object>

If you havenÔÇÖt been to the BMW MOA homepage for a while check this out!

AMA Pro Racing

Airfence Barriers to be Deployed for 2010 AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Championship Season
DAYTONA BEACH, FL (February 23, 2010) - AMA Pro Racing is proud to announce Airfence brand inflatable soft barriers will be deployed for the 2010 AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Championship, beginning with the Daytona Short Track Nationals on March 3-4, 2010.
Due to concerns for rider safety, the Illinois Motorcycle Dealers Association (IMDA) has agreed to donate its fleet of 30-foot sections of Airfence inflatable soft barrier to the Roadracing World Action Fund (RWAF), which will assign a total of 46 sections to AMA Pro Racing for deployment exclusively at flat track racing events.
In 2005, the IMDA purchased 30 sections of Airfence with a grant received from Ford Motor Company, and donations to the RWAF by fans, racers and sponsors funded the purchase of 16 additional sections. Those 46 sections have been deployed by IMDA at flat track events, mostly in the Midwest.
Tommra Kiesow, Director of the IMDA said, "We are proud to be able to donate such an important asset to the sport of flat track racing, with the help of the RWAF. We are confident AMA Pro Racing will handle the Airfence with expert care and get many more years of use."
Airfence inflatable soft barriers are designed and manufactured by Airfence Safety Systems (Australia) Pty. Ltd. and used extensively in motorcycle racing to help protect riders from hitting hard walls or objects as the result of a crash.
"When I first heard the Airfence was going to be available, I thought 'Wow.' I know from my experience as a board member of the Roadracing World Action Fund the logistical and financial commitment it takes to deploy Airfence at races on the Grand National Championship is no easy task," said Chris Carr, seven-time AMA Pro Grand National Champion. "I applaud the IMDA and AMA Pro Racing's proactive approach to rider safety."
Mike Kidd, AMA Pro Racing Director of Flat Track said, "The IMDA has done a great job providing Airfence to their mile races and other events which needed extra protection. I am glad we can now extend that same safety protection to all our half-mile and mile events along with selected short track and TT races."

On the Street

dealernews.com: Ridley Motorcycle Co changes ownership and halts production.

HFLM had its ideas on where Triumph is heading in the next years. Dealer News gives the lowdown on what they told their dealers.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=68292758001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

The AMA Annual Report is available for download.

Bike Cruller

2011 Yamaha XT1200Z Super T?®n?®r?®

Rumored and teased for some time a new cruller from a long time baker has been revealed. No news from Yamaha is this cruller will make it to the US or not. Read MotorcycleDaily.comÔÇÖs Dirck J. Edge comments for more information.

022410top.jpg

022410middle.jpg

Features -
ÔÇó Shaft drive inline 2-cyl engine - 270-degree crank
ÔÇó Mass kept low and central for agile handling
ÔÇó Intelligent Unified Brake System and ABS
ÔÇó YCC-T with 3-stage traction control plus Yamaha D-mode
ÔÇó First edition adventure pack
ÔÇó Tough spoked, tubeless aluminium rims
ÔÇó Adjustable front and rear suspension
ÔÇó Adjustable seat height
Engine -
Engine type liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, Forward-inclined parallel 2-cylinder, 4-valve, fuel injected, twin spark engine
Displacement 1199 cc
Bore x stroke 98 x 79.5 mm
Compression ratio 11.0 : 1
Maximum power -
Maximum torque -
Lubrication system Dry sump, oil tank in crankcase
Fuel System Fuel injection
Clutch type Wet, multiple-disc coil spring
Ignition system Twin spark
Starter system Electric
Transmission system Constant mesh, 6-speed
Final transmission Shaft