• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Friday, November 13, 2009

Racing

motorcyclenews.com: First Ride – Troy Corser’s WSB S1000RR

SuperBikePlanet.com Interview : World Champion Ben Spies
Part I
Part II

hellforleathermagazine.com: Want: Honda CS90 custom RC-style racers
Yes I do!!!

New hope for a US Grand Prix

Fans hope for the return of a US GP on the Formula 1 calendar, but do we want and need it enough to settle for a street track? From a motorcycle racing fan’s perspective I say no.

Motorcycle road racing is the Cinderella of my racing world. It is the beautiful stepchild that is dependent on its siblings for hand me downs. This is no where more obvious than race tracks. With few exceptions* motorcycle road racers are dependent on the creation and operation of tracks built to race cages, motorcycles are an after thought. Improvements in paddocks, safety features and amenities are done to attract more cage racers and their fans while again benefiting the two wheeled crowd by accident not intent. We get the left over sponsor dollars and the list goes on and on.

Enter the promoter who runs a street race on a temporary track
- they suck sponsor dollars out of the community
- eat up fan disposable income
While
- no matter how good the on track racing is, watching it is like watching freeway traffic from an overpass.
- race facilities and safety features disappear after the race weekend.

If you were to interview Cinderella about her living conditions and her wicked stepsisters she would have said they may not be perfect but they are not all that mean and it is better than being homeless. Cinderella would look for the silver lining. She was that kind of girl. Interview Cinderella the motorcycle racer and ask about the carpetbag street race promoters and she will say nice things but finish by admitting she will be left penniless and homeless when they leave town after the race.

* I would have said without exception but then someone would have posted and example. On reflection that would have been a way to get a response and find out if any of you are actually reading any of this or if my view count is going up due to spiders.

On the Street

hellforleathermagazine.com: Buell builds last bike

Things are not going to get simpler for H-D. There is blood in the water and the sharks are circling.
londonbikers.ocm: Suzuki launch revitalized cruiser range
dealernews.com: Honda unveils three 1300 customs for 2010
motorcyclenews.com: New Viper super cruiser launched

onewheeldrive.net: 2010 KTM 990 SMT coming to Canada (and US)

711765289_KjZAX-S.jpg

I really liked this photo. It was nice of nature to cooperate with the color scheme. There is a sense of movement in the picture that makes me feel it. So much for my skills as a photo critic, I just liked the photo.

Bikes in the Fast Lane: EIMCA 2009 – Romet 249 Division
Poland has a motorcycle manufacturer, imagine that. Here is the history of the company as given by their website.

Arkus & Romet Group commenced operations in 1991. Several years of dynamic development allowed, since 1996 on a smooth entry into the production of bicycles and gain significant market share in the Polish bicycle. Obecnie jest jednym z największych producent??w rower??w w Polsce oraz uznanym partnerem branży na świecie . It is now one of the largest bicycle manufacturers in Poland and a recognized partner of industry in the world.

Działalność Arkus & Romet Group to prezentacja kilku fabryk, kt??rych połączenie w jedną Grupę Producenta powołało nową tożsamość, gdzie tradycje polskich, rometowskich zakład??w łączą się z nowoczesnością projekt??w i stosowanych technologii. Activities Arkus & Romet Group is a presentation of some factories, which should form the group No established a new identity, where the traditions of the Polish rometowskich plants combine with modern projects and the technologies used.
W roku 1999 firma ARKUS sc zakupiła od Fabryki Romet SA w Bydgoszczy , lidera i monopolisty polskiej produkcji - Fabrykę Rower??w „Romet-Jastrowie” - kontynuatora wieloletniej tradycji Zakładu R-3, produkującego rowery dziecięce i młodzieżowe. In 1999 the company bought from SC ARKUS Factory Romet SA in Bydgoszcz, the Polish leader and monopoly of production - Bicycle Factory "Romet-Jastrowie" - continued the long tradition in the Department of R-3, producing bikes for kids and youth. Zakupiony rometowski zakład – Sp??łka Arkus przejęła z całą załogą. Purchased rometowski plant - Company Arkus took the whole crew. W rok p??źniej, do Fabryki w Jastrowiu dołączono kolejny zakład: w Kowalewie Wielkopolskim . A year later, the factory in Jastrowie accompanied by another plant: in Kowalewo Wielkopolski. Fabryki byłych zakład??w rometowskich zakupiono wraz ze znakami towarowymi znanych od lat marek „Jubilat” i „Wigry” oraz prawem do marki „ROMET”. Former factory plant rometowskich purchased together with well-known trademarks since the brands' Jubilat "and" Wigry "and the right to brand" ROMET.

W rok 2000 Grupa połączonych zakład??w weszła mocno w europejski rynek rowerowy. Nastąpiła modernizacja zakład??w i specjalizacja produkcji. In the year 2000 the combined group of establishments came strongly in the European bicycle market. There has been modernization of plants and specialized production. Mając, jako Producent - atut zapoczątkowanego przez Fabrykę Rower??w Romet -Jastrowie eksportu produkt??w do Europy Zachodniej, umocniła swoją pozycję eksportera. Na przełomie 2000/2001 do grupy trzech fabryk dołączono zakład w Nowowołyńsku na Ukrainie. Whereas, as a producer - an asset initiated by the Bicycle Factory Romet-Jastrowie export to Western Europe, has strengthened its position as an exporter. At the turn of 2000/2001 to a group of three plants was accompanied by a plant in Nowowołyńsku Ukraine. Ta inwestycja otworzyła duże możliwości ekspansji na rynek Europy Wschodniej. This investment has opened great opportunities for market expansion in Eastern Europe.

Od czerwca 2005 nastąpiło połączenie trzech fabryk : ARKUS Podgrodzie k/Dębicy, Romet-Jastrowie oraz Romet-Kowalewo Wlkp., w jedną sp??łkę kapitałową pod nazwą ARKUS & ROMET Group. Ta decyzja przyczyniła się do zwiększenia tak sprzedażowej, jak i organizacyjnej konkurencyjności, zar??wno na rynku krajowym, jak i zagranicznym. Since June 2005 there was a combination of three factories: ARKUS Podgrodzie near Debica, Romet-Jastrowie and Romet-Kowalewo Wlkp in a capital company under the name ARKUS & ROMET Group. This decision helped to increase as sales and organizational competitiveness, both domestic and foreign. Historia Arkus & Romet Group to szereg osiągnięć, idących w kierunku og??lnego sukcesu firmy. History Arkus & Romet Group is a series of achievements, reaching an overall success. Producent posiada nowoczesny park maszynowy , wysokiej klasy w pełni zautomatyzowaną lakiernię proszkową , rozbudowane centra logistyki magazynowej i produktowej : m.in Centrum Ogumienia Rowerowego i Dętek oraz własny transport . The manufacturer has modern machinery, high-class fully automated powder paint, extensive warehouse logistics centers and product: m.in Center Bicycle Tires and inner tubes and own transportation. Profil organizacji produkcji, sieci sprzedaży i serwisu zmierza w kierunku europejskich standard??w unijnych. Profile of the organization of production, sales and service network is in keeping with European Union standards.

Po sukcesach w dziedzinie produkcji rower??w, w sezonie 2007 firma rozszerza działalność o segment motoryzacyjny- rozpoczynając produkcję skuter??w, pod własną marką Romet. After his successes in the field of bicycle production for the 2007 season the company expands the business segment of the car-starting the production of scooters under its own brand Romet. Posiadane doświadczenie, potencjał ludzi oraz wdrożone technologie, pozwolą na sprawne przejście w nowy rozdział historii Arkus & Romet Group. Our experience, human potential and the technologies implemented, will allow for a smooth transition to a new chapter in the history of Arkus & Romet Group.

It’s only a logo, right?
cyrilhuzeblog.com: Harley-Davidson son on the big and small screen
H-D, in its 2008 Annual Report, reported their revenue from general merchandise items was $123.1 million or 5.6% of their total revenue for the year.

There is a song titled I’ll Never Forget What’s Her Name. The song is about someone returning to their home town and asking about the girl who got away. When ever I hear the song or see a Triumph Hurricane I wonder about what’s her name. But that is another story for another time. Click on the link and read a bit of Brit bike history from the French site Caradisiac.com.

wreckedexotics.com: A 73 year old Florida man has 10 exotic car wrecks to his credit(?) in the past 3 years. The article has pictures of a few of the wrecks and several before pictures. What really grabbed me as I read this was there were enough exotic wrecks to justify setting up an extensive looking website. Shortly after that I cam across this.

I have long known that wealth intelligence and common sense rarely reside together. Therefore; all you exotic car drivers are grounded and I am taking your keys.
:ha

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

711765039_LgVUZ-M.jpg

711765161_iN8Uu-M.jpg

711765075_4ppFo-M.jpg

711765209_N9PuG-M.jpg

711765253_3j2RZ-M.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday, November 15, 2009

Racing

World SBK
worldsbk.com: An interview with Ernesto Marinelli the new Ducati Corse SBK project leader.

crash.net: Althea announcement sells 2010 WSBK grid.

MotoGP
motogp.com[/uel]: Melandri settling back in at Gresini

[url= http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/Promising+initial+feedback+for+new+Bridgestone+tyre]motogp.com
: Promising initial feedback for new Bridgestone tire

On the Street

Let the comparisons begin!
motorcyclenews.com: Facts and Figures - BMW S1000RR vs. Fireblade vs. GSX R1000 vs. R1 vs. ZX 10R

mc24.no: Husqvarna 2010: Motard with greater mill

The Guzzi concepts win design award at the EIMCA. With awards come more pictures of the bike. With more detail shots of the Moto Guzzi V12 Le Mans concept come more questions for the guys over at Hell For Leather Magazine.

ultimatemotorcycling.com: Honda DN-01 Review
HondaÔÇÖs new offing continues to confound all classes of two wheeled riders.

Dr. Frazier answers the question does size matter; at least from his perspective.

Tis the season to hone your skills for riding on wet pavement

dealernews.com: California Side Car announces price reductions that will run through May 2010

Piaggio borrowed Ôé¼150m from the European Investment Bank to tackle up coming emission and safety standards for their various lines of scooters, motorcycles and light utility trucks (3 and 4 wheelers). The results of that investment is beginning to show up as Piaggio shows a high performance hybrid two wheeler at the EIMCA.

In Florida tis the season to ride and maybe for dealers to make a profit. Dealernews.coms Dealer Lab ÔÇô Dealership turns a profit in October. Nut over in Jolly old England UK supersports sales are down 43.9% and other classes werenÔÇÖt all that strong either.

On the heels of the last Buell rolling off the assembly line in East Troy speculation continues on what was Buell working on when the end came?

webbikeworld.com: Nexx XR1R Helmet review

technologyreview.com: Self-Cleaning super absorbent solar cells.

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

713695558_qCC8Q-M.jpg

AHHHH, That BMW R7, sex, drugs and rock and roll on two wheels. If it were produced today would you buy one? Hell yeah! Imagine cruising the PCH or across the plains or just sitting in the garage staring, feet up, beer in hand, leather jacket-with white silk scarf- on chair back. Fantasizing and dreaming, it's all good.

November, 17 2009

On The Street

The treat of some winter weather and the upcoming holidays have me working hard to do the things I have been ‘saving for latter attention’.

I have been digging into the R7. Sometime in the not to distant future I hope to have more for you on that bike and its designer

Time to change you destination planning the Mustard Museum has moved! Well they are in the process of moving. The Mount Horeb location closed Nove 15 and the new museum is scheduled to open November 20th at 7477 Hubbard Avenue in Middleton, WI. Another excuse to take a ride.

Table1.jpg

Table3.jpg

Table5.jpg

Table7.jpg

Table2_t.jpg

From dealernews.com article

Bike Cruller

Stau+hrd_7401.JPG

From OttoNero

Last edited:
On the Street

The Dealer News sales numbers show BMW's sales and share in the sport bike segment declining despite deciding to commit to expanding in that industry segment. This is more reflective of the HP2 Sport being a desirable bike but one that does not strike at the heart of the market. It also is a result in the slow release process of the S1000RR.

The BWM S1000RR had a hard rookie season in World Superbike. Now it is starting to make its press riding debuts. Motorcycle News gives us a video and Bike Culler all in one by covering the UK press release. According to MCN chief road tester Trevor Franklin ÔÇ£the handling will make other manufacturers wince with embarrassmentÔÇØ

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/711883929" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=51354395001&playerId=711883929&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="510" height="550" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

November 20, 2009

Racing

worldsbk: YamahaÔÇÖs Meregalli gears up for post Spies era
Sports writing is know for its hyperbolae yet with only one season in WSBK Spies does seem to have defined an era in a way.

On the Street

Economics continue to haunt the motorcycle industry. If the transportation industry were a dog shaking itself to ride itself of the cold water of the economic times the motorcycle segment is part of the tail. Auto makers are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel perhaps. GM is talking about beginning to repay its bailout debt and Ford reported a profit for the first time in a long time. Yet the news in the motorcycle industry is of changes and down turns.

dealernews.com: KTM Group restructures, records big loss for fiscal year

hellforleathermagazien.com: No 2010 Suzukis planned
At least for the US market. Suzuki will be building new bikes but there is inventory to clear out. If and when that happens they will bring 2010 models into the US.

roadracingworld.com: Harley-Davidson selects firm to assist in sale of MV Agusta
Q: How much did the need to spend money in an on going basis to rebuild and sell MV play in the decision to close Buell?

It is not all doom and gloom in the motorcycle world.

MCNÔÇÖs print publication is posting its first ride impressions of the new Norton today.

The return of the Norton Commando has been a long process that has moved from the UK to the US and back again. As October broke Norton announced preproduction orders had sold out of its initial production run of 200 bikes. Now the press will get their hands on the bikes and tell us what those people purchased rides like.

img-commando961.jpg

The bikes will be making back to our side of the pond in both the US and Canada. In the US South Bay Norton will be the distributor and Norton Canada Ltd for our Canadian members.

I did not find much information about either group. The internet has not been kind to the Canadian group; however. Sam Agha is apparently associated with Suzuki of Newmarket which was soundly trashed by several posters on some Canadian forums I visited. That and a buck will still get you a cup of coffee and change at the official Fly-Over-Land gas station.

NortonCommando.png

In the US the current base price for a new Norton Commando 961 SE is $17,899. In return for that amount you receive
FRAME
ÔÇó Frame: Steel tubular cradle with integral oil tank
ÔÇó Swing arm: steel construction
ÔÇó Wheelbase: 1420mm (55.9 in)
ÔÇó Rake: 24.5 degrees
ÔÇó Trail: 99mm (3.9 in)
ÔÇó Front suspension: 43mm Ohlins RWU - Adjustable preload, compression, and rebound damping.
ÔÇó Rear suspension: Ohlins reservoir-style twin shocks - Adjustable ride height, preload, compression, and rebound damping.
ÔÇó Front wheel: 3.50 X 17" BST Carbon Fibre
ÔÇó Rear wheel: 5.50 X 17" BST Carbon Fibre
ÔÇó Front tyre: 120/70 X 17"
ÔÇó Rear tyre: 180/55 X 17"
ÔÇó Front wheel travel: 115mm (4.53 in)
ÔÇó Rear wheel travel: 100mm (3.94)
BRAKES & HYDRAULICS
ÔÇó Brembo 320mm semi-floating hi carbon stainless steel front discs
ÔÇó Brembo 220mm rear disc
ÔÇó Brembo 4 piston "Gold Line" axially mounted front callipers
ÔÇó Brembo 2 piston "Gold Line" rear calliper
ÔÇó Brembo ÔÇ£Gold lineÔÇØ front brake master cylinder
ÔÇó Brembo ÔÇ£Gold lineÔÇØ hydraulic clutch master cylinder
ÔÇó Brembo rear brake master cylinder
ÔÇó Brembo hydraulic clutch actuation slave cylinder
POWER ASSEMBLY
ÔÇó Engine type: Parallel twin with push-rod valve actuation, dry sump
ÔÇó Displacement: 961 cc
ÔÇó Cooling system: Air
ÔÇó Valve Actuation: Push rod, hydraulic lifter, two valves per cylinder
ÔÇó Bore x stroke: 88 mm X 79 mm
ÔÇó Compression ratio: 10.1:1
ÔÇó Power: 80PS @ 6500RPM
ÔÇó Torque: 90Nm @ 5200RPM
ÔÇó Exhaust:1 3/4" header system with merged collector and twin silencers with catalytic converters.
ÔÇó Ignition: Crank fired electronic
ÔÇó Euro 3 compliant with electronic fuel injection and multiple 3 way catalytic converters
CARBON PACK
ÔÇó Front mudguard
ÔÇó Chain guard
ÔÇó Rear wheel hugger
ÔÇó Rear number plate hanger
ÔÇó Headlight mounting
ÔÇó Front wheel
ÔÇó Rear wheel
TRANSMISSION
ÔÇó Gearbox: constant mesh 5 speed
ÔÇó Final drive: 525 "O" ring chain
ÔÇó Wet clutch
ÔÇó Electric start
ELECTRONICS & CONTROLS
ÔÇó Charging system: 300 watt hi-output charging system
ÔÇó Instrumentation: Norton electronic analogue speedo and tachometer with dual trip meters and ÔÇÿhidden until litÔÇÖ warning lights
MISCELLANEOUS
ÔÇó Fuel tank capacity: 17l (4.5 US gallon)
ÔÇó Dry weight: 188kg (414.5 lbs)
ÔÇó Seat height: 813mm (32 in)
ÔÇó Billet machined upper yoke
ÔÇó Billet machined lower yoke
ÔÇó Tapered aluminium handle bars

Bike Cruller

6.jpg

The Norton girls are part of motorcycle history. They brought back the bike will they bring back the models? Image 38 almost made the Bike Cruller today but I did not want to tangle with the mods. To see it and other pictures and posters from NortonÔÇÖs past check out their Motorcycle History gallery.

The Norton girls are part of motorcycle history. They brought back the bike will they bring back the models? Image 38 almost made the Bike Cruller today but I did not want to tangle with the mods. To see it and other pictures and posters from NortonÔÇÖs past check out their Motorcycle History gallery.
OH BOY!! The one that would have gotten you in big trouble is #24. :nono:nono

:D:D

tb

Nove 21, 2009

On the Street

Buell motorcycles started when Eric Buell quite working for H-D to go start his own company to focus on racing motorcycles. After years on his own H-D bought him out and incorporated the Buell brand deep within the structure of H-D. Buell stayed on with H-D after the purchase. Life has come full circle once again. Eric Buell has left Harley Davidson once again to start his own company and go racing. H-D put out the following press release yesterday.

Erik Buell establishes Erik Buell Racing
MILWAUKEE (November 20, 2009) - Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) announced today that following the companyÔÇÖs recent decision to discontinue the Buell motorcycle product line, Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer of Buell Motorcycle Company, will leave the company to establish Erik Buell Racing, an independent motorcycle race shop.
Erik Buell Racing will specialize in the supply of race-use-only Buell motorcycle parts and race preparation services for engines and motorcycles, and the building and sale of Buell?« 1125R-based race-use-only motorcycles under license from Harley-Davidson, as well as providing technical support to racers of Buell motorcycles.
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm looking forward to helping Buell racers keep their bikes flying,ÔÇØ said Erik Buell. ÔÇ£WeÔÇÖve got some exciting race development projects in the works and it will mean a lot to me personally to see Buell racers competing for wins and championships in the 2010 season and beyond.ÔÇØ
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm pleased that Harley-Davidson is assisting Erik in establishing this business to continue supporting the racing efforts he has had so much passion for over the years,ÔÇØ said Buell President and COO Jon Flickinger. ÔÇ£Harley-Davidson and the Buell Motorcycle Company will always be proud of their affiliation with Erik, and we wish him well in this new endeavor to support Buell racers.ÔÇØ
Erik Buell Racing will be based in East Troy, Wisconsin and will be staffed by Erik Buell and a veteran team of personnel. For more information, after December 1, 2009, contact:
Erik Buell Racing, LLC
2799 Buell Drive, Unit C
East Troy, WI 53120
www.erikbuellracing.com
info@erikbuellracing.com

DonÔÇÖt look for Buell street bikes just yet. The new East Troy company will be a racer supplier to start with. Yet it is hard to imagine that Buell is not trying to disentangle designs he and his team were reportedly working on for a new sport bike and engine. This has been and will continue to be an interesting story to follow.

Harley-Davidson has decided to Keep the York Plant open but cut jobs their according to cyrilhuzeblog.com: H-D continues to work through its holdings cutting back where they are able.

Norton Commando

Picture 24 was the one that would have gotten me in trouble too. 38 was one I forwarded on to someone else with a ÔÇÿsix degrees of separationÔÇÖ question. If I am right there may be a story about what a Norton girl is doing now, if not just ignore this portion of this post.

[urlhttp://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides--tests/2009/November/nov2009-norton-commando-961-first-ride/]MCMÔÇÖs Phil West[/url] thinks the Norton Commando 961 is ÔÇ£one seriously desirable bikeÔÇØ after his first test ride.

The US is not the only market Suzuki is considering limiting its 2010 offerings in. Suzuki[/ur] considering not bringing the new 1250 Bandit to the UK. The Bandit has done very well in the UK and on the Continent. It was a major reason for the short life of the R ST.

BMW Motorrad Canada Announces 2010 Pricing and Product Updates

ÔÇó Press Release

Whitby, ON. BMW Motorrad Canada is pleased to announce the introduction of three new models for 2010 - the breathtaking S1000RR, the F800R and the G650GS Enduro, along with upgraded R1200RT, R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure models and three special editions.

S1000RR
After spending its inaugural development season challenging the 2009 World Superbike Championship with factory riders Ruben Xaus and two-times world champion Australian Troy Corser, the new S1000RR exceeded expectations, finishing the series with a gratifying seventeen top-ten finishes. The S1000RR is now poised to arrive in BMW Motorrad showrooms in January of 2010.

The S1000RR will debut with an MSRP of $17,300, a price that includes Race ABS, Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and Gear Shift Assist as standard equipment. The only option available on the S1000RR will be the Alarm System, priced at $265.

Combining an all-new high-performance engine with lightweight construction, sophisticated chassis dynamics and race-engineered brake and suspension components, the BMW S1000RR will set a new benchmark for ultra-high performance motorcycles - on both the racetrack and the road.

The 999cc liquid-cooled, DOHC, sixteen valve, inline four-cylinder power unit is brand-new from the ground up, bred for racing, developing a maximum output of 193 hp at 13,000 rpm (rev-limited to14,200 rpm) and maximum torque of 82.5 lb-ft at 9,750 rpm.

With overall weight of just 206.5 kg including fuel and Race ABS the S1000RR will also take its place as the lightest motorcycle equipped with ABS in the supersports category.

The combination sets a new standard in its class with a power-to-weight ratio of just 1.06 kg (2.34 lb) per horsepower with Race ABS.

The new BMW S1000RR has been designed not only to compete in the World Superbike Championship, but to take its place among the ?®lite of supersports motorcycles.

F800R
The much anticipated F800R Sport Roadster joined the F800 Series lineup this fall, debuting as a 2010 model in September with an MSRP of $9,990.

The heart of the new F800R is the now familiar 798cc parallel twin shared within the F800 family, rated at 87 bhp @ 8,000 rpm while delivering 86 Nm of torque @ 6,000 rpm. The additional two horsepower, when compared to the other F800 family members, is due to a redesigned exhaust system. The robust powerplant also features intake manifold fuel injection, electronic engine management, oxygen sensor and separate closed-loop 3-way catalytic convertor and secondary air system, for low fuel consumption and optimized emissions.

The F800R has a slightly longer double-sided swing arm and, in keeping with its sporting orientation, incorporates an O-ring chain secondary drive. Other highlights are new compact MID (Moulded Interconnected Devices) technology, featuring a left-handlebar multifunction signal switch and asymmetrical H7 headlights that echo the design of its K1300R Power Roadster sibling.

F800R - Chris Pfeiffer Special Edition
In recognition of ChrisÔÇÖs outstanding achievements with the F800, BMW Motorrad has developed a Chris Pfeiffer Special Edition of the new F800R, which integrates a special factory-team paint scheme and a list of special equipment, including:

ÔÇó Akrapović?« rear silencer for a dynamic appearance and a sporty sound.
ÔÇó Rear strut spring finished in red.
ÔÇó Painted pillion passenger seat cover.
ÔÇó Highly unique visual appearance with paint finish in the BMW

Motorsport colours of Alpine White non-metallic, Lupine Blue metallic and Magma Red non-metallic, contrasting with elements in black silk matt.
ÔÇó Front wheel finished in white.
ÔÇó Clear overpainted Chris Pfeiffer signature on the central cover.
ÔÇó Set of sponsor stickers supplied.
ÔÇó No cockpit fairing.
ÔÇó LED direction indicators.

The Chris Pfeiffer Special Edition will command a premium of $1,350 with an MSRP of $11,340 and be available in limited quantities.

G650GS Enduro
An evolution of the former single-cylinder BMW F650GS, the 2010 G650GS joins the BMW Motorrad lineup with an MSRP of $8,750.

The familiar 652cc liquid-cooled four-valve DOHC poweplant remains little changed from its predecessor, featuring BMWÔÇÖs Digital Motor Electronics and fuel injection, engine management version BMS-CII, and high-performance cylinder head technology, producing 50 bhp at 6,500 and maximum torque of 44 ft-lb at 4,800 rpm. Power transmission is still maintained by the proven five-speed gearbox and an O-ring chain drive.

The new G 650 GSÔÇÖs brake system, however, is upgraded with standard ABS featuring the new generation BMW Motorrad Bosch 8 M ABS control unit weighing only 1.5 kilograms. ABS can also be deactivated, as on the GS boxer twins. Single discs brakes at both front and rear measure 340mm and 240mm, respectively.
The new G650GS continues with a stiff steel bridge tubular frame with bolt-on lower frame section and rear subframe. The 19-inch front spoke wheel is suspended by a Showa telescopic fork with 170 mm/ 6.7" spring travel. The 17-inch rear wheel runs in a two-arm box-type swingarm with a central spring strut with adjustable preload and travel of165 mm/ 6.5" . Standard seat height is a very compatible 780mm, with an optional lowering kit available for $200 ex-factory.

With heated grips also fitted as standard equipment, the new G650GS is available in two colors ÔÇô Deep Black and Red, both combined with a black tank, further highlighted by matte black engine surface. The new level of standard equipment leave only two available options ÔÇô the aforementioned lowering kit and a centre stand ($170).

R1200RT
The iconic BMW R1200RT emerges in 2010 with an MSRP of $20,200 and significant changes that further reinforce its position as the benchmark in the touring motorcycle category.

Most prominently, the R1200RT is now powered by the same latest-generation flat-twin engine as the BMW HP2 Sport. Equipped with two overhead chain-driven camshafts (DOHC) per cylinder and dual spark plugs, the new 1,170 cc engine embodies a smoother torque curve with an increase in maximum torque from 85 - 88 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm, while the (unchanged)110 horsepower occurs at 7,750 rpm (previously 7,500 rpm) and the overall range of useful engine speed increased by 500 rpm to a maximum 8,500 rpm.

Additional new features on the 2010 R1200RT are highlighted by:

ÔÇó An electronically controlled exhaust flap for an aggressive muscular sound.
ÔÇó Second-generation ESA II Electronic Suspension Adjustment with damping, spring base and now also spring rate adjustable at the touch of a button.
ÔÇó BMW Motorrad Integral ABS - partly integrated version.
ÔÇó Newly designed fairing with improved wind and weather protection
ÔÇó Re-designed cockpit with new instrument cluster and matte visor to minimize reflection.
ÔÇó New generation signal switch cluster mounter on the left handlebar.
ÔÇó Handlebars now mounted on rubber bearings to optimize vibration control.
ÔÇó Electronically controlled windshield with optimized aero-acoustics and improved transparency.
ÔÇó New optional Audio System featuring interfaces for an MP3 player, an iPod, USB stick or CD player. The new system can store nine playback lists on a USB/MP3 or iPod, and is controlled by a new mouse-type Multi-Controller.
ÔÇó Adjustable gearshift lever with an eccentric control bar.

The R1200RT comes, of course, with standard hard-shell cases, offering a capacity on each side of 32 litres, with case brackets integrated almost fully into the body and finished in body color, along with four locking points. Additional top cases are available in either 28 or 49 litre sizes and mount directly to the standard lugguage rack.

Four dynamic new color choices for the R1200RT enhance the contrast between the color of the body and the matt-painted engine spoiler as well as the seat finished exclusively in black on all models: Thunder Grey Metallic, Polar Metallic, Ostra Grey Metallic and a combination of Thunder Grey /Titan Silver and Granite Grey Metallics.

R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure
Like their boxer-twin sibling, the R1200RT, the new 2010 R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure also feature the the same latest-generation flat-twin DOHC engine as the BMW HP2 Sport, producing 110 horsepower and a heftier 88 lb-ft of torque. The new engine is also equipped with an electronically controlled exhaust flap for an even more aggressive and muscular exhaust note.

The upgraded engine is mated to the proven six-speed transmission with larger diameter bearings and numerically higher secondary gear ratio, enhancing the new robust torque curve.

Debuting with an MSRP of $17,650 for the R1200GS and $20,300 for the GS Adventure, both models will sport a new range of colors, the R1200GS available in Ostra Grey Matte Metallic, along with two non-metallic options ÔÇô Alpine White and Magma Red. The R1200GS Adventure is available in either Smoke Grey Metallic or Brilliant Yellow Metallic, the latter combined with a Black Olive Grey seat.

R1200R Touring Edition
The popular R1200R naked urban motorcycle will continue to offer its perfect synthesis of riding dynamics, agility and classic motorcycle design in 2010, and will be joined by a new Touring Edition.
Targeted at the rider whose itinerary might include substantial long-distance travel, the R1200R Touring Edition features:

ÔÇó Sport Windshield
ÔÇó Side Luggage with Coded Locks
ÔÇó Comfort Seat
ÔÇó Luggage Rack
ÔÇó On-board computer
ÔÇó Chromed Exhuast
ÔÇó White Turn Indicatiors
At a premium of $1,000 over the standard base R1200R, the Touring Edition has an MSRP of $15,950.

HP2 Sport Motorsport Edition
The sportiest and most powerful series production flat twin of all time, the HP2 Sport continues into model year 2010 with the addition of a special Motorsport Edition.

The HP2 Sport Motorsport Edition continues to be powered by the familiar flat twin engine equipped with double overhead camshafts delivering 133 hp at 8750 rpm, but emulating the look of the BMW Motorrad Motorsport factory racers, featuring fairing, fuel tank, seat bench, front mudguard and engine spoiler painted in the BMW Motorsport colours Alpine White, Lupine Blue metallic and Magma Red.

The HP2 Sport Motorsport Edition has an MSRP of $27,590.

The balance of the BMW Motorrad lineup carries over into model year 2010, making for an undiminished total of fifteen models. Notable exceptions are the G650X Country, F800S and K1200LT, which are now discontinued.

The 2010 F800R is in BMW Motorrad showrooms now, while the new S1000RR will be available in January, the R1200RT and R1200GS and GS Adventure will be on sale in February of 2010.

A 2010 ManufacturerÔÇÖs Suggested Retail Price list is included with this release as an attachment, along with a full photo library of new BMW models.

BMW Group Canada, based in Whitby, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG and is responsible for the distribution of BMW luxury performance automobiles, Sports Activity Vehicles, Motorcycles, and MINI. BMW Group Financial Services Canada is a division of BMW Group Canada and offers retail financing and leasing programs and protection products on new and pre-owned BMW and MINI automobiles, as well as retail financing for new and pre-owned BMW Motorcycles. A total network of 40 BMW automobile retail centres, 19 BMW motorcycle retailers, and 25 MINI retailers represents the BMW Group across the country.

For more information, please contact:

Rob Dexter, Product and Technology Specialist
BMW Group Canada
Corporate Communications
905.428.5447 / robert.dexter@bmwgroup

Bike Cruller

Just because you can, should you?

I know there is a kitchen sink someplace on this bike.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONt7xclaEoc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONt7xclaEoc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXKxITtpP6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXKxITtpP6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

November 24, 2009

Racing

If I have my dates correct applications for entrance to the 2010 Dakar race closed today. The race will once again be held in South America. The motorcycle class has been restricted to 450cc this year. Here is the current list of
Motorcycles entrants.

On the Street

For most of mere mortals it is not time to head to South America as racer or fan but to our garages. I wonder how astrin is coming with his Madison Motorcycle Coop – concept? I thought of him when I came across this article over at The Kneeslider.com.

Once you are in your shop, either your own or a coop, what do you do if your background doesn’t include all the high school shop classes? Well you do what every other nerd does; your read first then go out and do hands on the project training. The Knucklebusterinc.com site has been running a series of articles, in their How To section, pulled from the pages of the likes of old Popular Mechanics that are timeless in the information they contain.

Bike Cruller

181499344_nUwrq-M.jpg

Future Daka champ in the making?

November 29, 2009

Racing

fim-live.com: FIM reduces decibels in competition

SBK
worldsbk.com: Giorgio Barbier explains PirelliÔÇÖs strategies for 2010

CBSK
cdnsuperbike.com: Blackfoot Racing will not field Canadian tema for 2010

motorsport.com: Pro Racing announces structure and :personnel changes

MotoGP
motorsport-total.com: Holt Honda after Suppo and Stoner?

motorcycledaily.com: A tour of YamahaÔÇÖs European Racing Headquarters

plugbike.com: TTXGP UK Chmpionship dates announced

GPweek.com The Year in Review

On the Street

ultimatemotorcycling.com: 2010 BMW S1000RR ÔÇô Pieter de Wall Interview

moto22.com translated: Honda to stop producing motorcycles in Spain

dealernews.com: Economy batters Confederate Motors

motorcycledaily.com: Government aid for struggling H-D credit arm

An AdventurerÔÇÖs Guide to riding the Dempster Highway
Part 1
Part 2

caferacersreturn.com: Mac Motocycles ÔÇô no longer a Blast
The changes at H-D and Buell affected others as well.

Finally got around to reading this from Spiegel.de: EMCIA 2009 ÔÇôRebellion of the Race Dwarves

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15CJFBhusMQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15CJFBhusMQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/15CJFBhusMQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/15CJFBhusMQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hellforleathermagzine.com: Kevin Ash on Honda VFR1200F ÔÇô ShamoÔÇÖs not as good as Sprint ST

Fortunately I didnÔÇÖt need the G450X and I donÔÇÖt need this Street Triple with Traxs ÔÇô First one of you that says the S word is grounded.

ultimatemotorcycling.com: 2010 Zero MX electric motorcycle review

gizmag.com: Hands-free driving? EU set to trial multi-vehicle road trains.

Coloector cars from Jaguar, Ferrari, Masserati will be up for bid at Scottsdale Auction event at the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall on Saturday, January 23, 2010, beginning at 11 a.m..

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
FERRARI / 355 F1 1995-1998
FERRARI / F355 1995-1999
FERRARI / F355 F1 1999
Manufacturer: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA INC Mfr's Report Date: NOV 13, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V447000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER: DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 2356
Summary:
FERRARI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 1995 THROUGH 1999 FERRARI 355 AND 355 F1 VEHICLES. INDEPENDENT AUTOMOBILE REPAIR FACILITIES MAY HAVE IMPROPERLY INSTALLED CERTAIN SCREW CLAMPS THAT ARE LOCATED IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THE FUEL LINES AND THAT FASTEN THE WATER SLEEVE TO THE THERMOSTAT CONNECTION. THE IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF THESE SCREW CLAMPS MAY DAMAGE THE FUEL SUPPLY PIPES.
Consequence:
FLUID COULD LEAK INTO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT, CAUSING SMOKE AND, IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES, A FIRE, RENDERING THE VEHICLE INOPERABLE AND POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL DIVIDER BLOCK, WHICH WILL SERVE TO PROVIDE A GREATER DISTANCE BETWEEN THESE SCREW CLAMPS AND THE FUEL LINES. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY DAMAGE TO THE FUEL SUPPLY PIPES WHICH COULD CAUSE FLUID LEAKAGE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FERRARI AT 201-816-2600.
Notes:
FERARRI RECALL NO. 48. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

BMW R75/5 from bikeexif.com

714548219_3EVeW-M.jpg

Racing

If I have my dates correct applications for entrance to the 2010 Dakar race closed today. The race will once again be held in South America. The motorcycle class has been restricted to 450cc this year. Here is the current list of
Motorcycles entrants.

snip
Bike Cruller

181499344_nUwrq-M.jpg

Future Daka champ in the making?

And sorted by Number of entrants and nations ... the odds favor the French

France 42
Argentina 24
Spain 14
Italy 12
Netherlands 12
Chile 9
Brazil 8
Czech Republic 8
Portugal; 6
United Kingdom 6
Australia 4
Canada 4
Poland 4
Ukraine 3
Belgium 2
China 2
Peru 2
Slovakia 2
Sweden 2
Turkey 2
United States 2
Austria 1
Guatemala 1
Ireland 1
Mexico 1
Norway 1
Senegal 1
Serbia 1
Slovenia 1
Uruguay 1

Monday, 30 November 2009

Racing

motomatters.com: Pedercini Team brings WSBK field up to 20 bikes for 2010

worldsbk.com: Wildcard riders spice up the WSB spectacle

motorgp.com: Compimoti ÔÇô Stability the Parmac basis for 2010

asphaltandrubber.com: Why IÔÇÖm thankful that the FIM split from TTXGP
This is an interesting read on the vagaries of developing racing series for the electric warrior class of bikes.

motorcycle-usa.com: 2010 GNCC Bike proposed pro rules ÔÇô GNCC Dirt Bike Racing

roadracingworld.com: AMA Pro Racing eliminates MotoGT, cuts purses for 2010

iomtt.com: Isle of Mann TT star confirms plans for 2010

Reuters.com: MotoGP champion Rossi finishes second at Monza [Rally]

On the Street

motorcycle-usa.com: 2009 World Superbike comparison - review

superbike.co.uk: Royal Enfield Woodsman EFI unleashed at NEC motorcycle show

gazettextra.com: They donÔÇÖt deserve our beer ÔÇô Spotted Cow confiscated in NYC

motorcycle.com: 2010 BMW S1000RR review ÔÇô Not your fatherÔÇÖs BMW

technologyreview.com: How secure is cloud computing?

technologyreview.com: Solving the puzzle of triangular snowflakes.

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.comHarley Davidson backflip
Has to be humor you canÔÇÖt take these stunts to seriously, even if two were done on the same weekend on different continents.

visordown.com: WorldÔÇÖs first

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

Norton Motorcycles Ltd. unveiled a couple of Commando variants at the NEC show in London.

Norton%20Cafe%20Racer%20Commando%201.jpg%20%28550x424%29.jpg

Norton%20Commando%20Sport%201.jpg%20%28550x424%29.jpg

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Racing

worlsbk.com: Superpole format slightly modified for 2010 season

fim-live.com: yoshumura team to race World Superbike [Selected Races]

fim-live.com: New WomanÔÇÖs Enduro World Cup

motorcyclenews.com: Loris Capirossi urges Suzuki improvement

motogp.com: LCR HondaÔÇÖs 2010 prospects with Cecchinello

On the Street

thebeachcruiser.com: Car Compare: All-Purpose Bikes
The BMW K 1300 S and Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS are both all-around motorcycles good for fun rides and long commutes

sportrider.com: Riding the BMW K1200RS

thevintagent.blogsport.com: BMW sale at the BMW Museum

H-D continues to make the news with its recovery process. This time it is bonds and TALF that play a role as Harley sells $562 million in bonds backed by motorcycle loans.

The Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc. (JAMA) reported OctoberÔÇÖs Production and Export Summary and it is not a pretty site. JAMA represents and reports the Japanese motorcycle manufactures also. For the previous 25 months JAMA has reported decreases in production, domestic sales, exports and revenue. October ÔÇÖ09 takes the string to 26 months for JapanÔÇÖs motorcycle manufacturers.

- Motorcycle production in October 2009 was recorded as 51,018 units. Compared with the 120,123 units total recorded for the same month of the previous year, this is a decrease of 69,105 units or 57.5%.
- Domestic sales (factory shipment) in October 2009 stood at 25,658 units, a decrease of 27.7% as compared with the same month of the previous year.
- Motorcycle export in October 2009 was recorded as 41,143 units. Compared with the 90,702 units total recorded for the same month of the previous year, this is a decrease of 49,559 units or 54.6%.
- Total value of motorcycles exported for October 2009 was $334.12 million including $229.94 million for vehicles and $14.18 million for parts. This is a decrease of $263.09 million or 44.1% as compared with $597.21 million recorded for the same month of the previous year.

When you look through the numbers it is easy to be a bit dismissive at first. We are accustomed to seeing numbers for the North American market reported in the big bike class which is 650cc and greater. The JAMA numbers are reported in four classes ranging from 50cc and under to the big bikes which for JAMAÔÇÖs purposes are over 250cc. Yet the revenues from the mix of large and small that pay for R&D for bikes like the VFR1200F that help push the market forward, pays for SBM racing at the national and world levels and more.

The two plus year downward slide puts even more pressure on new releases to be wheel standing successes. For Honda the VFR1200F seems to be doing a stoppie instead of a wheelie as far as MCN is concerned.
motorcyclenews.com: Honda VFR1200F first road test verdict

yankodesign.com: Eko stoplight by Damjan Stankovic
I am not certain about the ecological implications of this stop light but I like the idea. Countdown style cross walk signs have become common and have gone a long way to making my walks safer. Why not a count down stop light like this?

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

Demonstener D1200R BMW is going into VERY limited production run of 5 units. When it first appeared as a concept bike on The Kneeslider website I posted their article in Motorreads. That was a year ago. It has gone from concept to production, all be it very limited production.

Demonstener-D1200R-BMW-1.jpg

Via: thekneeslider.com

Racing

worldsbk.com: Xaus looks back at first season with BMW

roadracingworld.com: Vermeulen completes first two-day test on Kawasaki Superbike

roadracingworld.com: Harley-Davidson cuts AMA Pro Racing Dirt Track support programs for 2010

fim-live.com: FIM Ride Green Eco Enduro: D-10!

On the Street

BMW national PressClubs are beginning to report November sales figures. The US only reports cages so lets move north of the border.

BMW Motorrad: Year-to-date motorcycle sales up 7.2 per cent .

BMW Motorrad Canada sold 37 units in November, down 38.3 per cent over November 2008. Year-to-date results are encouraging as Motorrad retail figures hit 1,764 a 7.2 per cent increase over the same period last year.

This is the second down month for Canadian sales but keep in mind the September 2008 BMW CA began a string of major sales increases due to new models, changes in pricing and a strong Loonie. BMW is not just making lemonade out of lemons when they say the Y-T-D figure is encouraging.

webbikeworld.com: BMW K1300S Review

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Defining the lines of the modern caf?® racer

superbike.co.uk: Honda VFR1200F motorcycle test ride
MCN panned the new Honda and Superbike thinks ÔÇ£for a bike that can't decide if it want to be a sportsbike or a tourer and compromises by being neither very well.ÔÇØ The new VFR1200F is 0 for 2 with the British bike press.

wired.com: Buying an E-reader? Here is what you need to know.

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

Old Indians Never, Ever Die Trailer

On the 24th and 25th July 2009 the second Old Indian Never Die rally took place at Traquair House in Pebbleshire, Scotland.

The Rally was possibly the largest collection of vintage Indian Motocycles gathered in Europe.
This is a trailer from the forthcoming 1 hour long documentary from Watermill

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qx_WsKD_zc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qx_WsKD_zc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Thursday, December 3

Racing

superbikeplanet.com: DMG Superbike death watch?

fin-live.com: Gresini refuses ot be drawn on 201 chances

fim-live.com: Stoner impressed by Spies

I am too as I read more about him and his comments as he makes his move to MotoGP
motorcyclenews.com: Ben Spies cautious on 2010 prospects

visordown.com: FIM boss gives thumbs up to 1000cc engines.
-related-
motomatters.com: FIM president repeats support for 1000cc MotoGP switch

motomatters.com: Aprilia Moto2 bikes likely to end as museum pieces

dealersnews.com: WERA motorcycle roadracing revamps endurance series

motorcycle-usa.com: Work continues on new Daytona dirt track

motorcyclenews.com: Electric racing crisis latest ÔÇô Mission goes with Azhar

bikeadline.com: Can-Am Spyders it the track at the Telstra 500

On the Street

webbikeworld.com: RevÔÇÖit Gore-Tex motorcycle product test team

utlitmatemotorcycling.com: 2010 BMW S1000RR review
Another thumbs up review for the bike, but this one contains more writers impressions of the suspension and traction control features making it worth the read.

motoblog.it: KTM reports losses of over 81 million euro

Is a track day only bike a street bike or a racer without a class?
ultimatemotocycling.com: 2010 Paton 500cc Gran Premio two-stroke

moto22.com: Such is the Bimota Tessi 3D Biposto

rolandsandsdesign.blogsport.com: NPA Ducati 1098

jsonline.com: Harley workers in York, Pa approve contract that will cost them many jobs.
-related-
inyork.comL Harley workers approve contract 1,587 to 133

superbike.co.uk: Full carbon fiber Arai helmet set to cost over ₤2,000

Mid American Auctions Las Vegas auction January 7-9, 2010 and it could be a go to sin city help the local economy even if you donÔÇÖt buy a bike. If you are interested here is the current list of offerings if you attend.

wired.com: Wish list for camera geeks

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Correction: In post #34ÔÇÖs Bike Cruller I placed the NEC show in London instead of Birmingham where everyone else in the motorcycling world looked for it.

Bike Cruller

When Illustration & Photography Collide

Images have a special power to evoke emotions and actions beyond those of words alone. BMW marketers are hoping to use the power of the following images on their target market to motivate them to go out and buy their S1000RR to take on the world. The article on the BMW Motorrad South Africa site uses words to explain the process and thought behind the images.

The trouble with images is they have a life of their own that can take them to places their creators never intended. Such is the case with Hell for Leather Magazine. HFL found elements of Frank Miller, Manga and even ÔÇ£Kill BillÔÇØ movies along with Mein Kampf and Leni Riefenstahl. Their readers found all sorts of things in the images and HFLÔÇÖs words.

I agree with commenter DeniesDanÔÇÖs choice of sound bites; ÔÇ£Sometimes a cigar is just a cigarÔÇØ. which brings us back to images.

S%201000%20RR%20versus%20Japan%20-%20Geisha.JPG%20%28550x389%29.jpg

S%201000%20RR%20versus%20Japan%20-%20Sumo.JPG%20%28550x389%29.jpg

S%201000%20RR%20verus%20Japan%20-%20Samurai.JPG%20%28550x389%29.jpg

The image I would really like to see is one of me riding off on a S1000RR.

What are your thoughts on this campaign?
BMWÔÇÖs or mine :)
:ears

Friday, Dec 4

Racing

speedweek.eu: Xaus = ÔÇ£WeÔÇÖre missing a half second on the top 5ÔÇØ

There is a new phrase in BMWÔÇÖs lexicon: Satellite Teams

aspaltand rubber.com: BMW adds satellite team to WSBK
-related-
speedweek.eu: Resch: Reitwagen Racing reaches agreement with BMW! Reitwagen Racing BMW hat sich Mittwochabend mit dem bayerischen Motorrad-Hersteller geeinigt. Reitwagen Racing BMW has agreed Wednesday night with the Bavarian motorcycle manufacturers. Als Fahrer stand Roland Resch bereits fest. As a driver, Roland Resch was already decided
-related-
motomatters.com: BMW satellite team in WSBK
-related-
caradisiac.com: BMW surprise superbike satellite team

I was unable to find any confirmation on an official BMW site. Given some of the sources I expect an announcement to follow from them, the FIA or World SBK.

roadracingworld.com: History Lesson: What happens when AMA Pro Racing doesnÔÇÖt make rider safety a priority
Risk
From Road Racing World Feb 2000
Roadracingworld.com brought back this excellent article from 2000 that dealt with what was seen as the problem with AMA Pro Racing at that time. The link to the article was posted without comment but the implication is simple and clear.

20090312xr14a_M.jpg

gpone.com: MotoGP returns to its roots ÔÇô prototype series Part 1
-related-
motomatters.com: The 1000cc MotoGP proposal as it stands

worldsbk.com: Guintoli and Suzuki fully motivated for 2010

thekneeslider.com: Erik Buell Racing lists services offered

License Applications for the 2010 AMA Pro Racing Flat Track Grand National Championship season are now available on the AMA Pro Competition Section at http://www.amaproracing.com/competition/. Direct links to the files follow:
ÔÇó 2010 AMA Pro Racing Flat Track Rider License Application
ÔÇó 2010 AMA Pro Racing Flat Track International Rider License Application
ÔÇó 2010 AMA Pro Racing Flat Track Crew License Application
Questions and inquiries about the entry process can be placed to AMA Pro Racing Member Services at (386) 492-1014 ext. 152.

egrandprix.com: Mission Motors go exclusive with TTXGP for 2010

gizmag.com: Zero Motorcycles to hit the road in 2010 TTXGP

Motoczysz..com has a link to Australian Motorcycle NewsÔÇÖ September article about their bike.

motociclismo.it: Golden Tire will be the sole supplier of tires to World Supermoto

On the Street

utltimatemotorcycling.com: 1014 Excelsior Model 7SC

motorcycle-usa.com: Husqvarna TE310 dirt bike review

onewheeldrive.net: Arctic Adventure ÔÇô smoke in the air

webbikeworld.com: Scorpion Elektra Jacket ÔÇô review
ÔÇ£Summary
The Scorpion WomenÔÇÖs Elektra Jacket is a beautiful armored leather jacket with a large degree of adjustability to suit many figures. Vents and a full-sleeve insulated liner provide the rider with versatility for warm or cool days.ÔÇØ

mc24.no: Why not electric?
Readers have questioned why the Norwegian site/magazine write so much about electric bikes. Here is their response.

Adds donÔÇÖt need to be long to get the point across ÔÇô Kawasaki Sweden
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/euQ7ROaZG3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/euQ7ROaZG3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Worlds fastest street bike [?]

motorcyclenews.com: Motorcycle and cycle collisions down 40% in bus lane trial.
In my time in London I have been amazed that anyone drives a car let alone a motorcycle in London and lives to tell about it.

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/AnupamMishra_2009I-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/AnupamMishra_2009I.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=702&introDuration=16500&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=2000&adKeys=talk=anupam_mishra_the_ancient_ingenuity_of_water_harvesting;year=2009;theme=a_greener_future;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=tales_of_invention;theme=unconventional_explanations;theme=rethinking_poverty;theme=the_rise_of_collaboration;theme=the_creative_spark;theme=a_taste_of_tedindia;event=TEDIndia+2009;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/AnupamMishra_2009I-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/AnupamMishra_2009I.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=702&introDuration=16500&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=2000&adKeys=talk=anupam_mishra_the_ancient_ingenuity_of_water_harvesting;year=2009;theme=a_greener_future;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=tales_of_invention;theme=unconventional_explanations;theme=rethinking_poverty;theme=the_rise_of_collaboration;theme=the_creative_spark;theme=a_taste_of_tedindia;event=TEDIndia+2009;"></embed></object>

inhabitat.com: Self heating roads save cars from icy conditions
[and encourage Rounders]

As expected given the outcome of the York plant union vote:

Harley-Davidson To Remain In York

Major Restructuring, Including New Labor Agreement, Provides Path to Significant Gains in Cost-Competitiveness, Flexibility, Efficiency

MILWAUKEE, December 3, 2009 - Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) today announced it will keep its motorcycle operations in York, Pa., and move forward with plans to restructure those operations.

The announcement follows yesterday's ratification of a new seven-year labor agreement by company employees at York, represented by International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) Local Lodge 175, and today's decision by the Harley-Davidson Board of Directors to approve the restructuring plan and related funding.
"A restructured York operation will enable the plant to be competitive and sustainable for the future, and the new labor agreement is critical to making that happen," said Keith Wandell, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harley-Davidson, Inc. "On behalf of the Company, I want to thank the employees at York for their vote to make the changes necessary to create a more flexible and efficient operation, and we look forward to moving ahead together to achieve that goal," Wandell said.

The new York operation will be consolidated under one roof and focused on the core areas of motorcycle assembly, metal fabrication and paint.

The operation will have a smaller, more flexible workforce, corresponding to the scale and scope of the operations, with about 1,000 hourly employees compared to about 1,950 today. The workforce will consist of about 700 to 800 full-time unionized production and maintenance employees and, on an annualized basis, approximately 200 to 300 unionized "casual" employees. Casual employees work as needed, depending on seasonal production and volume needs and to provide coverage for vacations and other absences.

The operation will also employ about 150 salaried employees, compared to about 270 today.

When fully operational in 2012, the restructuring is expected to generate about $100 million in annual operating savings compared to the current structure.

The Company expects to incur approximately $200 million in restructuring charges related to York into 2012, of which about $100 million will be cash charges. The Company also expects to make capital expenditures in connection with the York restructuring of about $90 million into 2012.

On a combined basis, the Company expects previously announced restructuring activities, together with the additional restructuring of the York operations approved today, to result in one-time charges of $415 million to $445 million into 2012, and to produce annual ongoing savings of $240 million to $260 million upon completion of all announced company-wide restructuring activities. In 2010 on a combined basis, Harley-Davidson expects to incur restructuring charges of $175 million to $195 million and related savings of approximately $135 million to $155 million.

The financial impact of the York restructuring reflects approximately $15 million in incentives that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has committed for capital improvements and training.

"I want to acknowledge and thank Pennsylvania Gov. Rendell and his team for their support of the changes we are embarking on at York. They have been terrific to work with throughout our decision-making process," said Wandell.

The decision to remain in York concludes a two-path assessment that began in May to determine whether the York operations could be restructured to be cost-competitive and sustainable, or alternatively whether the company would relocate those operations elsewhere in the U.S. In recent weeks, the Company identified Kentucky as the focus of its alternative site assessment.

"We also thank Kentucky Gov. Beshear and his team for their tremendous efforts, as well as the many Kentucky state and local officials who have been so helpful and gracious and who have devoted significant time and attention to our possible relocation," said Wandell.

This is a follow up of a previous post on KTMÔÇÖs loss. From their investor site:

Restructuring Completed in Fiscal Year 2008-09
Capacities Adjusted to Future Market Environment

Fiscal 2008-09

Turnover: EUR 454.6 million

Vehicle sales: 64,080

Earnings after restructuring costs: EUR -81.4 million

Equity ratio: 27.8%

Positive operating result expected in fiscal 2009-10

Tough restructuring completed in fiscal year 2008-09
"The past fiscal year proved to be the most difficult in KTM's recent history. However, we responded with strong restructuring measures. In fact, one-off restructuring costs account for 80% of the negative EBIT. Despite the slump in the markets, above all in North America and Europe, we succeeded in maintaining our market position and increasing market shares," says Stefan Pierer, CEO of KTM Power Sports AG.

Capacities adjusted to future market environment
Capacities and overheads have been realigned to the reduced market level. In the past fiscal year, KTM had to axe over 450 jobs and used the existing short time working schemes in the period from May through September.

X-Bow to remain in KTM product portfolio, investment completely written down
Due to the economic crisis, the original business model of X-Bow serial production was no longer feasible. Marketing and sales activities are now therefore integrated in the Mattighofen plant. KTM has written down all the serial production development costs and production tools totaling EUR 33.1 million. In X-Bow production, KTM has opted for a model often used in the high-end sports car sector, namely manufacture to order and customization on request. This has resulted in a shift from serial production to building cars to each individual customer's specifications.

Outlook: positive operating result in fiscal year 2009-10
KTM is still expecting the motorcycle market in general to decline in the 2009-10 fiscal year. Thanks to new product developments, particularly in the profitable core segment of off-road competition, a slight increase in sales can however be anticipated. A completely new motocross generation will be rolled out at the end of the 2009-10 fiscal year. The new street models from the cooperation with Bajaj Auto Ltd. were presented to the public at the beginning of November. Given the cost cutting and optimization program, the Management Board is expecting a positive operating result and a substantial improvement in free cash flow.

motorcycle.in.th: Danger of carbon fiber motorcycle parts

technologyreview.com: A place to complain about internet privacy
Campaign takes shape to gather complaints and get Congress to pass privacy laws

wired.com: Solar Impulse completes first flight

yankodesign.com: Scout Portable Pedestrian Navigation Device

RedmondSpokesman

xkcd.com

motobastards.com

Bike Cruller

I really want a Danish this morning but I am going to settle for a BMW R50S spotted in Sweden

BMW-R50S.jpg

Via: Vintagebike.co.uk

Back