• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Wednesday, 19 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg
Members with Birthdays Today

On the Street

jsonline.com: Packers, Bears keep the enemy close

jasonline.com: In Chicago, thereÔÇÖs respect ÔÇô but little love ÔÇô for Green and Gold

jsonline.com: No plans to replace Soldier Field sod

182526939_JkRJz-Th.gif

February 3 is Chinese New Years. I plan on that day to make the first of a series of post looking at BMW in the first decade of the 21st century. Many of us celebrated the turn of the millennium and the start of the 21st century in 2000 but calendar geeks will tell you both took place with the start of 2001. I took both opportunities to celebrate, but that is another story for another campfire. I have been doing some research and reading in preparation for these posts and in anticipation of the release of the BMW 2010 annual report. I wonÔÇÖt say more about them.

Two BMW press releases kept me in the paddock instead of out and about putting my normal post together. There are a few things that I have been mulling over as I have done my digging that came to mind as I read the press releases and thought about various threads discussing the business of BMW over the years.

FWIW

The press releases do simple comparisons between 2010 and 2009. I donÔÇÖt think we can be that simplistic. Mind you, I am not all doom and gloom but I am not as convinced that all is sweetness and light as sales increase numbers might suggest. A larger context (even more than what follows) is needed to understand what is going on in the motorcycle world and where BMW fits in it.

In my normal rambling order -

Sales:

September 27, 2007 Dr. Norbert Reithofer, BMW Board Chairman, laid out a reorganization of BMW AG. In that speech he set a 5 year annual production goal for the Motorrad segment at 150,000 motorcycles per year. Goals are intended to make you stretch and it will be a stretch for BMW to even come close.

BMW Sales for the first decade of the 21st century

2001: 84,713
2002: 92,599
2003: 92,962
2004: 92,266
2005: 97,474
2006: 100,064
2007: 102,467
2008: 101,685
2009: 87,306
2010: 98,047

Total: 949,586 motorcycles for the first decade of the 21st century.

1923 ÔÇô 2010: 2,451,852 motorcycles for the life of the company to the end of 2010.

These figures include numbers reported in 2004 annual report that adjusted reported sales figures to exclude C1 scooter sales. In that report BMW placed the total C1 sales through 2002 at 33,489 units. The numbers do not include any Husqvarna sales.

The lifetime motorcycle production number is based on information in a 16 March, 2007 BMW press release that placed the total 1923 ÔÇô 2006 motorcycle production at 2,061,977 then adds the remaining four years of this decade to arrive at the final figure.

India:
I have been looking at India more and more even before Harley-DavidsonÔÇÖs announcement that they are building an assembly plant there. The Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures is one source of motorcycle production figures that I have found for the sub-continent. They place the 2009-10 two wheeled production at:

10,512,889 motorcycles.

Yes this includes everything from 1- XXXX cc bikes produced within the country but their one year production number dwarfs the BMW above and H-D figures will follow.

China:
Everyone talks about China and the size of the market. If you have a fraction of an ounce of entrepreneurial blood in you a bit of drool begins to form at the corner of your mouth as you think about the potentials. I have not found a reliable source for motorcycle statistics so pick a number, any number, and you are probably right.

Market Share
Whenever sales figures come into doubt the fall back position every manager talks about is market share. But what are they talking about? In very simplistic terms I keep the following in mind.

Four ways to increase market share.

1. In a static market increase your sales while your competitionÔÇÖs sales decrease in proportion to your increase.

2. In an expanding market increase your sales at a greater rate than the competition.

3. In a contacting market
a. decrease your sales at a slower rate than the competition or
b. increase your sales while the competition remains sales remain constant or decrease.

4. A combination of the above scenarios.

No doubt you can come up with other and better ways to think about market share. For me BMWÔÇÖs increase in market share falls in the last category when you look at it either world wide or in the US.

Harley-Davidson
We are always looking sideways at Harley ÔÇôDavidson; so here goes.

I follow Harley-Davidson and have read their annual reports for many years. A few years ago I wondered how their sales for the first decade of the 21st century would compare to BMWÔÇÖs for a) the same period, b) since the resumption of motorcycle production after WWII, c) the 1923 through 2010 production number.

2001 -2009: 2,641,884

Harley-Davidson will report 2010 sales when it releases its 2010 Q4 earnings estimates on January 25th. The gap between their decade sales and BMWÔÇÖs lifetime sales will only increase. This has no real meaning beyond context and conversation value.

Keep in mind the above along with a dollar and tax will get you a large cup of Reindeer Antler coffee at the Official Fly-Over-Land coffee shop. I posted it here because it provides some of the context I use when I read press releases like these.

Finally
You canÔÇÖt pay bills with percentages of increases or unit sales. You pay bills and investors with revenue and bottom line. For that we will have to wait until the annual report.

The Mothership

BMW Motorrad raises sales by 12.3% and boosts global market position. Encouraging sales trends on all relevant motorcycle markets. Market leader in eleven countries. Strong sales figures from Husqvarna Motorcycles.

Press Release

Munich. BMW Motorrad can look back on an extraordinarily successful motorcycle season in 2010. By December 2010, 98,047 motorcycles worldwide were delivered to customers (previous year: 87,306 units), a growth of 12.3%. In a highly challenging market environment, BMW Motorrad has recorded the strongest growth by far in the competition.

BMW Motorrad has recorded considerable growth in virtually every country. Supported by its continued product offensive, the blue and white brand could raise its market share to a historical high.

Hendrik von Kuenheim, Head of BMW Motorrad: ÔÇ£The 2010 motorcycle season was a delightful year for us. Our range of innovative models met with great customer interest all over the world. Not only could we sell 10,741 more motorcycles than in the previous year, but at the same time we were able to considerably strengthen our market position in a highly discouraging market environment. Our market share rose to an all time high, and by December BMW Motorrad was the volume leader on eleven markets.ÔÇØ

In Germany, again the largest single market in 2011 for BMW Motorrad, 17,816 BMW motorcycles were registered (previous year: 15,833), a growth of 12.5%. BMW Motorrad could therefore maintain its leadership on both the total market and the 500 cc plus segment.

The share of the total market was 21.5% by December (previous year: 17.7%), and 23.2% (previous year: 19.0%) on the 500 cc plus segment. In other words, almost every fourth new motorcycle over 500 cc registered in Germany originated from the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin.

Italy continues as the second strongest single market for BMW Motorrad. Here 14,386 BMW motorcycles (previous year: 13,089) were registered, a growth of about 10%. The BMW Motorrad share on the 500 cc plus segment rose to 18.4% (previous year: 14.3%). On the highly traditional motorcycle market in Italy, BMW Motorrad could considerably expand its market position and take over as volume leader.

The next most important sales markets are the USA, France, Spain, and the UK, followed by Brazil. The latter emerging market is gradually becoming one of BMW Motorrad's strongest sales markets. To do just to the importance of this market, BMW Motorrad will continue to expand its local motorcycle production facility in Manaus/Brazil, which was first established at the end of 2009.

R 1200 GS once again the most successful BMW Motorcycle.
And once again the most successful model overall was the large touring enduro BMW R 1200 GS, selling 18,768 units (previous year: 15,864 units), followed by its sister model, the R 1200 GS Adventure, selling 11,648 units (previous year: 8,803 units). Third place went to the classical tourer BMW R 1200 RT, with 11,132 vehicles sold.

BMW Motorrad also experienced extraordinary success with the S 1000 RR. In the first full year of marketing, 10,209 units were delivered to customers, and the first supersports motorcycle from BMW is heading the sales statistics in Europe. Considerably more than 90% of the orders for these vehicles opted for the innovative ÔÇ£Race ABSÔÇØ and the dynamic traction control DTC.

At the same time, excellent sales figures were also achieved with the F 800 GS (9,669 units), the F 800 R (7,805 units), and the F 650 GS (6,951 units).

BMW Motorrad outlook for 2011
There are excellent opportunities for a successful 2011: in 2010 BMW Motorrad could increase its market shares over a wide front, take over leading positions on other markets, and so create the optimal platform for future growth.

At the start of the 2011 season, BMW customers will benefit from the revised flat-twin engine roadster BMW R 1200 R that for the first time will also be available as a classical variant. Moreover, BMW Motorrad will be presenting the new G 650 GS, yet another particularly appealing GS model with a single cylinder engine.

The first half of the year will see the launch of the K 1600 GT and the K 1600 GTL, innovative, de luxe touring motorcycles with six cylinder inline engines, the first of their kind in the history of BMW Motorrad. Featuring the most compact six cylinder inline engines in series motorcycle production, these two top models in the BMW Motorrad range will be unlocking new dimensions for riding, long distance, and comfort characteristics.

Above and beyond these, the model range from BMW Motorrad will be presented at its best in 2011. The adventure worlds Enduro, Tour, Urban, Sport, and HP will be presenting fascinating motorcycles for virtually every taste. The range will be supplemented with an extensive line of options and innovative BMW Motorrad rider equipment.

Husqvarna Motorcycles with strong sales figures

Against the backdrop of a heavily declining international market in the field of off-road sports motorcycles, Husqvarna Motorcycles was able to sell 12,066 units in 2010 (previous year: 13,052 / -7.6%). As compared to the relevant competition, Husqvarna Motorcycles asserted itself well, not least as a result of the model offensive started last year.

As of model year 2011, Husqvarna Motorcycles now has the new 450 cc generation in the enduro, motocross and supermoto version available for a full sales year.
These new core models with their innovative single-cylinder engine will generate powerful growth stimuli for 2011. In view of the ongoing model offensive and further expansion of the sales network, the Italian manufacturer is looking forward to significant growth during this year's motorcycle season.

BMW Motorrad USA Posts Growth for 2010

Press Release
BMW S 1000 RR Superbike is Bestseller in Debut Year

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  January 18, 2011BMW Motorrad USA posted a nearly four percent growth in sales in 2010, despite a continued double digit downturn in the U.S. motorcycle market. BMW sales were bolstered by the February launch of the BMW S 1000 RR superbike, which has redefined the limits of sportbike performance.

The most powerful production 1000cc sport bike in the world, the S 1000 RR quickly surpassed the BMW R 1200 GS to be the best selling bike in BMWÔÇÖs model lineup for 2010. In its debut year, the BMW S 1000 RR earned numerous awards from the U.S. media, including Robb ReportÔÇÖs ÔÇ£Best Sportbike,ÔÇØ Cycle WorldÔÇÖs ÔÇ£Best Superbike for 2010,ÔÇØ and MotorcyclistÔÇÖs coveted ÔÇ£Motorcycle of the YearÔÇØ Award. Other popular core models in BMWÔÇÖs lineup ÔÇô the R 1200 GS, R 1200 GS Adventure, and R 1200 RT ÔÇô benefitted from the introduction of a new engine and posted strong sales, as well.

BMW executives credited the companyÔÇÖs sales performance to a stable of leading-edge products as well as to a strong dealer network.

ÔÇ£BMW dealers did a tremendous job in 2010, despite the headwinds they faced with a tough economy,ÔÇØ commented Mac McMath, National Sales Manager, BMW Motorrad USA. ÔÇ£While many dealers in the country struggled last year, BMW dealers remained committed to the job at hand and worked tirelessly to capture every sale they could.ÔÇØ

According to McMath, BMW is anticipating another strong year in 2011 as supply improves to meet continued demand for the S 1000 RR and as the new six-cylinder touring bikes make their debut.

ÔÇ£The new K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL should give motorcyclists a compelling reason to head down to their local BMW dealer this spring,ÔÇØ McMath added. ÔÇ£We expect strong sales from these bikes as nearly 400 customers have placed deposits for them since we kicked off our pre-sale program in late December.ÔÇØ

McMath also predicts continued growth in 2011 from strong consumer interest in new and re-launched models, such as the F 800 R naked bike, G 650 GS dual-sport and R 1200 R.

Bike Candy

The first model in the line of BMW Motorrads...

1161417228_M5v4y-L.jpg

Lord Sebastian Coe, two-time Olympic champion and Chairman of the London Organisation Committee for the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympics (LOCOG), with the BMW R32 at the BMW Museum (01/2010)

 and the latest BMW Motorrads.

1161418288_JEmuz-L.jpg

BMW K 1600 GT, BMW K 1600 GTL

Thursday, 20 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

visordown.com: Xaus ÔÇô ÔÇ£S1000RR is crazyÔÇÖ
The Spanish rider compares his chances to return on his Honda to two years with BMW.

crash.net: Toseland ÔÇô BMW Italia is primed for success
ÔÇ£As a package, BMW are giving us everything they can for us to succeed,ÔÇØ
Just not all the same things as the Team BMW Motorrad.

leonhaslam: Just finished a three day test, small crash but all ready for OZI cant wait

worldsbk.com: More top WSBK and WSS teams getting set to test

<iframe title="Twitvid video player" class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=MXKUX" frameborder="0"></iframe>

worldsbk.com: Rea and Xaus inspired by new Castrol colours.
I guess Xaus is inspired by having a contract. I do wish him luck with his new team.
-related-
bikesportnews.com: video - Jonathan ReaÔÇÖs thoughts on Castrol Honda

Suzuki-racing.com: Waters to race WSBK for Yoshimura-Suzuki

facebook: Project Superbike on DVD

BSB ÔÇô [/url= http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Lowry-joins-Laverty-at-Buildbase-BMW&newsid=7113]bikesportnews.com[/url]: Lowry joins Laverty at Buildbase BMW

MotoGP

gpone.com: Guareschi, Ducati moving forward

motomatters.com: Qatar MotoGP round to be spread over four days

motogp.com: Ducati completes second day at Jerez

Gpone ÔÇô video ÔÇô A closer look at the GP11
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_D2yQaR1wg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_D2yQaR1wg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Formula 1

Wrooom 2011 ÔÇô Interview with Fernando Alonso
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEVmezpcdkc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEVmezpcdkc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

autosport.com: Lotus naming case to begin next week.

reuters.com: Chinese GP circuit faces March inspection

McLaren.com: New trainer for Lewis
McLaren is keeping quiet about the delay in the release of their 2011 car but they find time to get Hamilton a new trainer and brag about it.

Pirelli F1 tyre test at Abu Dhabi
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TlgU9QSKxs4" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Other Racing

www.motorsportretro.com: TT heroes for Island Classic

Dakar 2011 Highlights
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEmoYUUzHlY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEmoYUUzHlY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

On the Street

APRC Aprilia ÔÇô ATC system ÔÇô Aprilia Traction Control
Turn off the volume unless your Italian is good and put this on full screen to better read the white lettering with the white shirted presenter in the background.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpP9FQh--EA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpP9FQh--EA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]

nytimes.com: Me and my algorithm

dealernews.com: Harley-Davidson growing its rental business.
Another dealer revenue stream

The Mothership

The car vs. S1000RR chestnut comes to Top Gear
Film when it comes.

BMW-Yachtsport: BMW is partner of the European dragon Championship

1162239978_XY8Pn-M.jpg

Business Week ÔÇô BMWÔÇÖs Ian Robertson talks about cage global strategy
<object height='249' width='300'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'><param name='movie' value='http://bizweektv.pb.feedroom.com/businessweek/bizweektv/pboneclip/player.swf?SiteID=bizweektv&SkinName=pboneclip&SiteName=bizweektv&StoryID=c58f5a6d43fc1d4acdc45fa58fe31244e2e702c6&MaximumNumberOfStories=&AutoPlay=false&mute=false&Volume=.5&tilenumber=&tilemargin=&videoratio=&detailsheight=&Environment=&SendEMailURL=http%3A%2F%2F%25SiteID%25.feedroom.com/custom/playerbuilder/feedroom/sendMail.jsp' /><embed src='http://bizweektv.pb.feedroom.com/businessweek/bizweektv/pboneclip/player.swf?SiteID=bizweektv&SkinName=pboneclip&SiteName=bizweektv&StoryID=c58f5a6d43fc1d4acdc45fa58fe31244e2e702c6&MaximumNumberOfStories=&AutoPlay=false&mute=false&Volume=.5&tilenumber=&tilemargin=&videoratio=&detailsheight=&Environment=&SendEMailURL=http%3A%2F%2F%25SiteID%25.feedroom.com/custom/playerbuilder/feedroom/sendMail.jsp' height='249' width='300' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' /></object>

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

A clean simple bit of Italian sweet.

1161416592_UDyaw-L.jpg

Ducati Mono CR

Friday, 21 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

Dual Press releases from WorldSBK and FIM on the future of SBK

worldsbk.com: FIM and Infront press release

fim-live.com: FIm & Infront fully aligned to further strengthen the FIM Superbike World Championship

Cutting through the release-speak that would make Al Haig smile, the FIM and Infront met and set plans to define and develop WSBK in relation to the up coming changes in the MotoGP formula. The key thing for everyone in the racing chain from these two through to fans is to clarify what the differences are and build on the resulting product each has to offer.

MotoGP’s move to liter bikes makes all sorts of sense within the MotoGP formula but has blurred the distinction between it and WSBK. WSBK has in the eyes of many been encroaching on the prototype territory of MotoGP. FIM/WSBK must define their brand to secure manufactures/teams/races to participate, provide a viable advertising vehicle to attract sponsors and in the end provide events that fans want to watch. The heads of the involved parties got together to do that.

Now back to testing then racing.

MotoGP

motogp.com: Ducati conclude Jerez programme

Formula 1

sepnf1.com: Color coded tyre compounds for 2011
Pirelli wants to help you understand team tyre strategy during a race.

auto-motor-und-sport: Interview with Gerhard Berger and Willi Weber
Very interesting read

Other Racing

racecar-engineering.com: Honda reveals all new Le Mans project

thechicaneblog.com: Art appreciation – Cooper 500

FWIW

asphaltandrubber.com: US Highland idles factory while looking for funding
and
tulsaworld.com: Motorcycle manufacture idles plant

The story here is how and if the company will survive. The importance of this story to motorcycling is how new companies survive from startup status to the next stage in their development. The business model for the innovator takes them through several stages of company development.

In the startup phase venture capital (from credit cards, second jobs, mom/dad and eventually vulture capitalist) keeps the business afloat and developing its product. This is the bleeding phase of development when the neophyte company bleeds red ink on its balance sheet.

The next step is the exit strategy. This can take several forms that boil down to three primary paths: take the product into self production, be taken over by an existing major manufacturer in your area or some combination of the two.

One major risk for entrepreneurs and investors in the startup phase is the dependence on key individuals for the company’s survival to any exit form of exit strategy that yields a return on investment. Key people can be poached by rivals, run out of ideas or have their muse fail. In the case of Highland tragedy struck. Unlike Apple, which is facing its own version of this with Steven Jobs recent health leave, small companies like Highland do not have either the corporate structure or deep pockets to bridge them to survive.

The auto and motorcycle industry are in a transition stage. Changes in demographics, regulations and energy sources to power their vehicles are making the industries more and more dependant on the innovations of small companies. The motorcycle segment of the transportation industry more so than other segments. During the coming decade I anticipate two recurring themes.

At the major brand level, such as BMW, we will see brand consolidation. This will happen either through the buy out or demise of some current existing brands. The major brands will be rolling out products that will have marginal shelf life but that they need to get some return on development dollars invested. Corporate reorganizations and belt tightening will continue to be the major focus for the near term.

Below the major motorcycle brands is where the fun is. Startups have and will continue to provide the bleeding edge development for the future of two wheels. We are seeing this in the electric bike development, the aftermarket parts segment and more.

Highland was set to release a very interesting bike when a tragic air crash took three of its leadership. How and if it survives to the next stage will speak to the tenacity of those involved with it now. I wish them all the best. It will also speak volumes to the willingness of the investment community to invest in US/any small business innovators.

I am big on innovators but never have had much faith in the vision of the next step investor. I hope they see chances for the future in this segment of the transportation industry that I do.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Many of the sites I have been visiting have been all excited about this R45 Caf?® bike that showed up on BikeEXIF.com yesterday. A link to pictures of it even made it to one of BMW/Motorrad’s twitter pages.

1162239939_NcEux-M.jpg

You can follow the links to find more pictures of this very nice bike.

I spent some time at ChromeHeads.org and Blue Moon Cycles and came away with this treat.

1162240045_RrEbJ-M.gif

Last edited:
Saturday, 22 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

It is not a factory team but the factory website is please to announce
ducati.com: Team Althea Racing to present its 2011 Livery at Termingnoni Day saying, "The Italian motorcycle manufacturer has always participated in SBK and we are proud to be able to equip Genesio Bevilacqua's Ducati outfit in 2011."

MotoGP

Another take on yesterday’s FIM/Infront press releases.
motogpmatters.com: A curious missive: FIM and Infront Motor Sports announce they are officially BFF

moorcycle-usa.com: Indain manufacturer enters Grand Prix
Mahindra announced it is campaigning a bike in the 125GP class this year and will stay on when the class bumps up in 2012 to 250cc four strokes. India is on of the last bastions of 2 stroke bikes but are slated to disappear if the Indian government continues its clean air policies.

technologyreview.com: the web is now the last place you should read anything

Formula 1

formula1.com: Visionary vehicle concept designer joins HRT
I don’t write the headlines nor do I know if Daniel Simon is a true F1 visionary. However, it is good to see HRT get someone that may be. F1 don’t ask designers to bring sponsor dollars to secure their chair they pay them. As much as we root for and the press wags on and on about the drivers the big money key men of F1 are the designers. Red Bull is where it is today because of Newey in the same way Brawn was responsible for his name sake being on top the year before. The real F1 race is in the design room.

Williams is talking about securing its future
attwilliams.com: A statement from Frank Williams on behalf of Williams F1

attwilliams.com: Q&A with Adam Parr – Chairman, Williams F1

Retirement may not be on Frank Williams agenda but how it will be dealt with and what impact it will have on the team as a company will be on investor minds. Williams, like F1 itself must deal with ageing management in senior positions of teams and the sport. McLaren dealt with this two years ago and Ferrari before that. It is a story line that will pop up again and again in the next two years.

Other Racing

facebook: BMW Motorrad – A Dakar to remember

racecar-engineering.com: Lotus heads to Le Mans with Evora

On the Street

This could be a great exhibit to see:

MV Agusta Motor S.p.a.
The Museum of science and Art Alden b. Dow of Midland Center for the Arts (Midland, Michigan, USA) will be the stage for the biggest and most extensive collection ever accumulated, to illustrate the story of MV Agusta in all its forms and functions, complete and accurate history.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g-c4Zsrs0zM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Bikes in the Fast Lane: File this under amazing female statistics, especially after reading this story from Bikes in the Fast Lane: Granmother trades husband in for motorcycle.

cycrilhuzeblog.com: Royal Enfield introduced 2 new models at the New York show

Harley-Davidson introduces its new lean mean riding machine. According to Harley-Davidson, the new Blackline is: “A rebellious creation of the Dark Custom movement, the Blackline celebrates three fundamental elements of motorcycling: mechanical beauty, internal combustion and the long black line of the road ahead.”
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FPqrhyzMSg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FPqrhyzMSg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I get Harleys. I like it when I have a chance to ride one. If I were a man of more means I would own one in addition to my BMW and a couple other brands. I like the look of the blackline but would probable go in the V-rod direction. What I don’t get is the bad ass image and building a brand on that image. I poked around the blackline site. I like the looks and as I said if I had the money I could see a H-D in the garage. Then I look at the video. It does not make me want to go out and ride. Instead I want to head to Charming join SAMCROW and go kick someone’s butt before going off to prisons to end my riding season there. I do understand you have to play to your customer base but even Sonny Barger smiles when he talks about bikes.

usridernews.com: Virginia may ban children on motorcycles

The Mothership

PresClub/US: BMW Debuts New BMW Documentaries Franchise to Kick-Off Unique Project Dedicated to the Future of Mobility
FWIW

I am not a gamer. I would rather be out riding my bike. I will admit to having spent a good number of rainy days playing old F1 games on my computer. The bike games don’t do a thing for me beyond sending me to the garage. With the improvements in the games I may have to talk one of the pit crew out of an Xbox and get a new F1 game.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rYcqd6EBTss" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Daffy Duck – Wise Quakers
A crash landing from 1949, a time with very different sensibilities.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iZqOlEk9k3Q" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Classic Ads: Steve McQueen rides the Honda CR250

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J8nJvgSlSiM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J8nJvgSlSiM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Dang, the King of Cool and the music still makes me smile and wish I could ride in the dirt. Alright the music may be a bit sappy but McQueen is still the king of cool riding off into the desert with a smile. How do we make people understand how much fun he was having and we still have riding? Think about that while I go look at my bike and dream of warmer days without snow.

Last edited:
b'day link: "There are no events to display."

That could be correct, or...?

Otherwise, I read this every day, it is great! Thanks, mika!

b'day link: "There are no events to display."

That could be correct, or...?

Otherwise, I read this every day, it is great! Thanks, mika!

The Birthday link is fixed. :blush

You're wellcome. Glad you enjoy reading it.

Mika

Sunday, 23 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

stayontheblack: We speak to james Whitham about the upcoming World Superbike season

Ruben Xaus ÔÇô On his new team
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CtYIrKl36_Y" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

MotoGP

autosport.com: Pedrosa expects equity at Honda
Be careful what you wish for Dani, Honda may have equal expectations too. .

allaboutbikes.com: Rockstar to sponsor Lorenzo in 2011
This still does not solve YamahaÔÇÖs sponsor problem.

Formula 1

crash.net: Berger ÔÇô BMW gave up on F1 too soon
From a F1 fan standpoint I have to agree, but from several other points of view I never understood why BMW decided to be more than an engine supplier.

1164858108_JdhWD-M.jpg

AAR Eagle at Spa

Other Racing

vanishingpoint: 2011 Phillip Island Classic
This is an Australian based blog has a wonderful slideshow of some truly grand classic racing bikes. Worth the click through.

Roger Hayden - Daytona Tire tests
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SK1SRfFT-fY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

motorsportretro:

racer.com: MINI launches team manger search
I wonder if they are using google bing or some other search engine?

On the Street

The US is an important BMW market but for Ducati it is their major market.
ducatinewstoday.com: ducati NA powers ahead of the market
New models, new promotions and a really crappy 2009 result in a big percentage increase for the Italians in NA.

utlitmatemotorcycling.com: Vincent motorcycles ÔÇô Legend of Gunga Din

Roland Sands Custom Victory High Ball
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jDy1TL9Jfo0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The Mothership

1164858080_mJxNn-L.jpg

FWIW

1021903201_2ArPr-XL.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

I just liked this picture.

1164858147_p7zDQ-L.jpg

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

motorsport-magazine.com: Lone Range Rider
Leon Haslam tested three days with his BMW S1000RR on the track in Cartegena to put up with his new work unit intensively.

crash.net: Haga – I can win with PATA Aprilia
Can a rider such as Haga make the difference to take a satellite team to the top of the podium and compete for a championship?

kawasaki-racingteam.eu: More testing for supported teams

visordown.com: Hub centre stearing to make its GP comeback

moto.it: Infront FIM and allies to strengthen the SBK championship?
Another shot at parsing the recent press release by the FIM and Infront

MotoGP

motorsport-magazine.ccom: Toseland talks about Yamaha
The double World Superbike champion James Toseland has admitted that Valentino Rossi's crash at Mugello was a turning point for him at Yamaha.

On the Street

sportrider.com: Hard Racing Performance BMW S1000RR
North Carolina-based shop builds BMW S1000RR project bike to test fit and finish of numerous aftermarket products

ridemission.com: The Mission R under the skin

dealernews.com: Ducati unveils the 2012 monster 1100EVO at the New York International motorcycle Show

bikeadline.com.au: Husqvarna and Chris Pfeiffer at Cool as ice in Germany

allaboutbikes.com: Husqvarna North America changes for 2011

motorcyclephotooftheday.com: Death of a salvage yard

webbikeworld.com: Book Review – Building the ultimate Adventure Motorcycle
The Essential Guide to Preparing a Bike for the Journey of a Lifetime

Author: Robert Wicks
Format: Hardcover, 176 Pages
ISBN: 9781844258369
Publisher: Haynes Publishing
Illustrations: 300 color
Size: 8.25 x 10.5 x .4
First Published: July 2010 (UK)
List Price: $34.95
There may be a new platform for you to apply the knowledge gained by reading this book. visordown.com: KTM plans 1200cc Adventure and Superduke

The Mothership

FWIW

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

There is Vincent

Last week I came across a caf?® bike based on a Vincent Motors USA RC51 Honda engine revival bike. Vincent Motors USA was an attempt to revive the name that died in a British bankruptcy court in 1959 but lives on in the imagination of many riders that have a sense of history. This iteration has a number of things to recommend it as Bike Candy.

1164857976_jwRhY-L.jpg

1164858003_i3qgw-L.jpg

1164857943_yifMD-L.jpg

1164857926_mAD2A-L.jpg

But then there is Vincent

1166040940_iJo6D-L.jpg

Sunday evening I came across the real thing the Caf?® Racer blog.

1166030131_fe586-L.jpg

1166030151_i94qT-L.jpg

1166030020_gCdBN-L.jpg

In a reverse twist of Shakespeare’s line from Romeo and Juliet “A rose by any other name would smell so sweet” a caf?® racer named Vincent with any engine would be just as cool just does not really work.

1166030074_AuNGA-L.jpg

I would happily take a Honda RC51 any day. When it comes to Vincents call me an Anglophile or just old fashion but give me the real thing.

Last edited:
Tuesday, 25 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

worldsbk.com: FIM Superbike and Supersport provisional entry lists

BMW Italia is at it again. The boys take their bikes out for a press ride. First the WSS team that will be putting up the title defense and the WSBK team.
<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://bmw.lulop.com/embed/player/127897" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
BMW Motorrad Italy Superbike Team 2011 presented at Monza
Press Launch for the presentation of BMW Motorrad Italy Superbike Team 2011L ' Autodromo di Monza was the background, Monday 17, the official presentation of BMW Motorrad Italy Superbike Team that played the Superbike World Championship 2011 with riders James Toseland and Ayrton Badovini. training in Italy, who won the FIM Superstock Cup 2010

facebook.com: Toseland talks

moto.it: Getting ready for the start of World Superbike

MotoGP

motogp.com: Nicky HaydenÔÇÖs Wrooom press conference

Formula 1

formula1.com: Waiting in the wings ÔÇô teams prepare to launch 2011 cars

formula1.com: Lotus ÔÇô Switch to Renault power set to pay off

Other Racing

bmwgroup-sport.com: BMW to race in Intercontinental Le Mans Cup in 2011.

On the Street

motorcyclenews.com: BMW S1000RR second fastest EVER on Top Gear test track

The Mothership

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NvEduHFMEng" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From the ChromeHeads Gallery

1162239999_NU2pw-M.jpg

Wednesday, 26 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

MotoGP

gpone.com: Is it war or peace for SBK & MotoGP?

motogp.com: Spies relaxed and ready for first Sepang test

On the Street

motomethod.com: Imagine a network of these, a MOA network.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DqjgjRsjQhw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LE-e3N41L2w" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YL9B6DLrFTg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I was going through cleaning up and checking my favorites list. These may be of interest to some of you, or not.

colorrite.com: BMW motorcycle paint
repairmanualclub.com: Download area
motorcyclespecs.co.za: motorcycle Specifications
redlinebools.co.uk: UK Motorcycle book publishers
sepnet.com: Ronnie CramerÔÇÖs Motorcycle Web Index
davodst/com DavidÔÇÖs comprehensive motorcycle web index
AHRMA.org: Your guide to vintage racing in the United States
realoem.com: Online BMW parts catalog
bikez.com: Motorcycle Enclyclopedia

The Mothership

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/znBnNJ1Fv08&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/znBnNJ1Fv08&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dPClmFM0RcU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dPClmFM0RcU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

FWIW

Tuesday H-D released the Q4 State of the HOG report. It is full of mixed messages.

Halrey-Davidson.com: Harley-Davidson reports broad improvement in full-year results from continuing operations for 2010

Motorcycle sales were reported at 222,110 units. For the full year 2010, worldwide retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 8.5 percent compared to 2009. U.S. retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 11.7 percent for the full year, while the U.S. heavyweight market segment was down 14.6 percent, compared to 2009. In international markets, retail sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 1.9 percent for the full year compared to 2009.

The news is far from all about decreases. The report opens with good news for investors as the company reported full-year 2010 income from continuing operations of $259.7 million, or $1.11 per share, compared to income of $70.6 million, or $0.30 per share, from continuing operations in 2009.

Q4 is often a time to clean up the books and take some one time hits in the process. For the fourth quarter of 2010, Harley-Davidson recorded a loss from continuing operations of $42.1 million, or $0.18 per share, which includes the impact of a one-time, $85.2 million charge from the Company's early repurchase of senior unsecured notes during the quarter.

If you read through there are several turn around line items mentioning increased revenues taking into the green in line items that were showing red in 2009. One important declining number is the companyÔÇÖs tax burden from the 60.9 percent rate in 2009 to a more normal rate of 33.5 percent. The 2009 figure reflected a combination of bad planning by previous management and the sale of MV Agusta and goodwill deductions they assumed would fly but did not.

At the company Harley-Davidson company level the restructuring appears to be taking some positive turns to stem the previous problems. This bodes well for the financial future. They are not out of the woods yet. They will have difficulty managing inventory and production levels as their sales and sales world wide continue to decline.

The auto industry that is showing signs of turn around; with the exception of India the motorcycle industry continues its decline in every market in the world. With the curious exceptions of BMW, Triumph and Ducati you will be hard pressed to find a non-India company that is reporting sales increases. In the coming weeks we will see sales numbers from various industry groups world wide. There will be much to chew over as we read them.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From atcmoto.com, click through for more information.

1168173206_mafEV-O.jpg

1168173220_crMYR-O.jpg

1168173221_T2jrC-O.jpg

1168173235_XJp3a-M.jpg

1168173234_VzZ2h-O.jpg

this was actually discussed before, as part of the early days of the MOA foundation.

MOA support of chartered clubs could make this possible.

SIbud... wake up! :ha

Very interesting.

I had something like that in mind when I first ran across this then found it again. I wondered if we could create an A-Z template of how to set up such a shop for the clubs to use then as part of the deal with local club make it available as an anonymous service (for a fee) for use by members traveling. Things like oil changes or emergency repairs come to mind.

Is Bud still the coordinator? I thought they announced a new one at the last BOD meeting.

Thursady, 27 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

worlsbk.com: Official press conference gets 2011 season underway.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/weUwFPPXR9o" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Team BMW Motorrad is heading to OZ but BMW Italia is taking part in the Portimao round of WSBK testing. The times should be taken with a grain of salt as all ÔÇÿtesting timesÔÇÖ should be. But as this testing round progresses we should take them with fewer grains than the pre Christmas round.
worldsbk.com: Smrz snatches fastest day one time

1 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'43.503
2 4 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.676
3 58 Laverty E. (IRL) Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.707
4 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'43.770
5 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'43.789
6 3 Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.840
7 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'43.879
8 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'44.369
9 2 Camier L. (GBR) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'44.446
10 17 Lascorz J. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.752
11 52 Toseland J. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.764
12 41 Haga N. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'44.857
13 111 Xaus R. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.885
14 121 Berger M. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'44.886
15 33 Melandri M. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R1 1'45.461
16 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 1'45.678

MotoGP

motogp.com: Rossi tests fitness at Misano

The internet was full of pictures of Rossi riding a Ducati 1198 SBK at the Misano track when I put this post together. SoloMotoTrieinta put them all together in this LOUD compilation.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c8EML8gT1kM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

RossiÔÇÖs verdict on the shoulder after Misano test: Painful and Weak motomatters.com

motorcyclenews.com: NortonÔÇÖs 1000cc MotoGP engine revealed [sorta]
This is a teaser article to get us to buy the British magazine.

sportrider.com: Grand Prix racing four-stroke Moto3 class

Formula 1

formula1.com: Robert Kubica Q&A ÔÇô I want to win with Renault this year

reuters.com: Simulator sickness stops Schumacher in his tracks

Other Racing

rasmotorsposrts.com: RSR Motorsports ready for DaytonaÔÇÖs Challenge [MINI]

britishpathe.com: [1939] German newsreel film
Several shots of the new three litre Mercedes motor car being prepared for mile test. M/S of the driver Caracciola. Several Nazi soldiers are also present at the event. Various shots of the attempting to beat the record as it speeds down race track. A new mile world record is set for three litre cars with a speed of 127 mph.

On the Street

French site moto-station.com has an interview with BMW FranceÔÇÖs Marcel Driessen ÔÇô The brand must become younger, warmer

Not your normal comparison test but one that could set tongues a wagging on the forum -
visordown.com : Road Test: BMW R1150GS V R1200GS
The bold, brash and huge 1200 GS Adventure takes on its dad - the tough, slugging film star 1150 GS Adventure in the wilds of Wales.

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Steve McQueenÔÇÖs Husqvarna is for sale

From Le Container and blitz-motorcycles.com
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18713991" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/18713991">Teaser Riding September</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user5657192">Hush</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

RECALL : Ducati

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
DUCATI / MTS 1000 2003-2004 2006
DUCATI / MTS 1100 2007-2008
DUCATI / MTS 620 2006
DUCATI / MTS1100 2009
DUCATI / MULTISTRADA 1000 S 2005 2005
Manufacturer: DUCATI NORTH AMERICA Mfr's Report Date: JAN 24, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V020000 NHTSA Action Number: PE10045
Component:
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 3,911

Summary: DUCATI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 MULTISTRADA 620, MODEL YEAR 2003-2006, MULTISTRADA 1000, AND MODEL YEAR 2007-2009, MULTISTRADA 1100 MOTORCYCLES. FUEL LEAKAGE CAN OCCUR AT THE FUEL TANK PUMP FLANGE SEAL.

Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP O-RING WITH AN UPDATED PART FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DUCATI AT 800-231-6696.

Notes:
DUCATI SAFETY RECALL NO. RCL-10-005. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

ducatinewstoday.com: Ducati CEO confirms Rossi Replica in the works
I wonder if it will come stock with a messed up shoulder that will be repaired during an offseason recall, or will that be an option?

Harley-Davidson scale model running Panhead engine at Cyril Huze Blog

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EQRzCNK9eOs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The Mothership

On Twitter: Have you ever thought about a guided factory tour in our Berlin plant? Follow the link for booking details http://bit.ly/MmuHf

BMW-web.tv: BMW security vehicles training. Deep Inside East Germany. On a former soviet military airport, BMW offers its toughest driver training. Here, drivers of BMW High Security Vehicles can develop their driving skills and push the cars to their limits.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From Le Container
Some pictures convey a mood or emotion. I am not certain what this one is say because it is speaking in French but I 

Friday, 28 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

sportsaustralia.com: Corser fit and focused for Superbike assalt

worldsbk.com: Top spot for Rea on day two

IMS Test Portimao SBK Thursday combined times
1 4 Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'54.718
2 33 Melandri M. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R1 1'55.063
3 7 Checa C. (ESP) Ducati 1098R 1'56.162
4 50 Guintoli S. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'56.505
5 96 Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'56.902
6 66 Sykes T. (GBR) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'57.213
7 58 Laverty E. (IRL) Yamaha YZF R1 1'58.126
8 41 Haga N. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'58.377
9 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 1'58.711
10 84 Fabrizio M. (ITA) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'58.919
11 52 Toseland J. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'59.390
12 121 Berger M. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'59.472

IMS Test Portimao SBK Wed/Thur combined times
11 52 Toseland J. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.764
16 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 1'45.678

facebook: James Toesland – “just need some more time on the bike”

Superbike TV: Interview with James Toesland – Monza, 17th January
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F-oAa2AB0DE" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

WSS

crasg,net: Yamahas float to the top at wet Potimao

MotoGP

motogp.com: Bautista wants to fight for the podium

Formula 1

formula1.com: Fitness first – Sauber drivers hard at work in training camp

jamesallenonf1.com: Top three finish in 2011 locks Vettel into Red Bull contract

Other Racing

sportrider.com: Racing while injured – Damaged Goods

On the Street

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W-7b5l62f14" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

http://www.devon.gov.uk/bikers

30 years of adventures with BMW GS 1980-2010 ‘official video’ via SoloMoto Treinta
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8jpQLGV0Kqw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Please note I was not injured while riding or assembling any of these bikes.

Triumph Tiger 800XC vs BMW F800GS
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b9aF0L8smac" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

asphaltandrubber.com: Honda sales up 19% globally for 2010 – Sells 80% in Asia
This is a bit of a surprise. The early numbers I had seen for the UJM 4 had them down about 9% but not all their Asian markets had been accounted for at that time.

facebook: Chris Pfeiffer on using a Husky for his recent stunts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/re8p8gctlWg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

visordown.com: Road test – K 1200 GT v CBF 1000F v KTM 990 v GSX R600
:scratch

thekneeslider.com: Kawasaki W800 – updating the retro standard
This looks like a really sweet ride but it is not coming to NA. We are all show and no go.

dealernews.com: OCC in foreclosure dispute

Nico Rosberg visits Mercedes Benz production site in Sindelfingen
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pksjv4MPkDA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The Mothership

PressClub: Record year for BMW Motorrad in the UK

From BMW Itallia
<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://bmw.lulop.com/embed/player/128129" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

FWIW

Each day as I ‘wonder’ about the internet putting this thread together I keep an eye open for the picture that will be featured in Bike Candy. When I find it I immediately put in the link and any comment I want to include and save the picture. Many days I continue my explorations saving inserting the various still shots as the last items before finishing. Such was the case yesterday. Actually that should have been the case yesterday.

I forgot to put this picture in as Bike Candy in yesterday’s post.

1169884253_hip99-L.jpg

I visit the French site Le Container almost every day and have posted many pictures I have found there. There are many pictures there that can’t be posted here.Yesterday there were two pictures there that caught my eye. I was feeling a bit artsy when I picked this as yesterday’s picture. I knew the photograph I wanted to feature in Bike Candy put in the site link, made my comment about it, planed to put the photo in as my last thing to do before posting and then searched for more things. .

I forgot to put the picture in.

I did not notice this until 10 PM last night when I checked the thread for a different reason. As posted it looks like I am directing you to a piece of hidden Bike Candy. I clicked on the link and broke out laughing when I reached the site and thought of the sentence I had written for context. I think I would have liked to have seen the faces of others that did the same. My apologies go out to anyone who may have been offended.

The runner up picture, which didn’t get posted either but showed up in a lot of other places I visited today, is a bit more traditional Bike Candy.

1169884024_5QacW-O.jpg

This is what happens sometimes when you post without the publishing ATGATT of an independent editor or proof reader. .

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yGyvOiDminY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Saturday, 29 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

Twitter: realleonhaslam: 3 days done, progress good, now time to hang out with troy at his ranch. Fishing tomorrow then sailing the next day

Haslam’s Gallery from testing - http://www.leonhaslam.com/gallery-list.cfm?cat=46 He needs to get his site updated. You would think Alstare Suzuki is sponsoring his BMW ride.

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Winter Testing - Eastern Creek

Press Release
Winter testing – Eastern Creek.
26th to 28th January 2011.

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport continued its preparation for the 2011 FIM Superbike World Championship with three days of winter testing in Eastern Creek (AUS). In very hot conditions, with air temperatures up to 40 degrees Celsius and track temperatures up to 60 degrees Celsius, works riders, Troy Corser (AUS) and Leon Haslam (GBR), completed a total of 1.453 kilometers of testing on their BMW S 1000 RRs. After two very hot days today the temperatures where a bit lower, reaching 28 degrees Celsius. Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport will now travel to Phillip Island (AUS) where it will continue its work with another test on 02 and 03 February.

Programme:
Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport chose not to join the series’ official test in Portim?úo (POR), but to test in Australia to focus on setting up the BMW S 1000 RR for race tracks with very low grip. The conditions in Eastern Creek proved to be perfect for that aim, as the very high temperatures made the race track quite slippery. On top of that, the weather conditions in Australia are more similar to those encountered during the racing season than the cold and rainy weather in Portugal. The team mainly worked on improving the set-up of the chassis and the engine mapping. In both areas, huge progress was made.

The team is very satisfied with the results as it managed to do very quick lap times. Troy progressed very quickly end even set a new lap record (1:29.5 min). Leon’s best time was 1:30.5 minutes.

Troy Corser:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
“I am pretty happy with the progress that we made on my bike. We worked on electronics, traction and rear wheel activation. In all areas we made some good steps. I also tried some chassis, geometry and fork setting. We concentrated on these areas to give us some information and to understand what we need to do if we get the same situation. The lap times got better and better as we improved the bike and the better the circuit became. The lap time we got to quite comfortably is very good for this track.

“I think with what we have learned here we are now very well prepared for the test next week, regarding the set-up of the bike. It was nice to come back to Eastern Creek. The last time I was here was 18 years ago, in 1993. It was a good experience to ride on the superbike here.”

Leon Haslam:
Bike: BMW S 1000 RR
“We mainly worked on the electronics, just trying to dial it in. We also focused on setting up the chassis to get a base set-up, because in the hot conditions the bike behaves very differently. We had a few issues but we are making progress with the bike. Certainly you always want to go faster and make things happen quicker. But we got in a lot of testing, which is good, and are definitely improving. I am very confident the team will give 100 per cent and that it should be good.

“I am just looking forward to the next test in Phillip Island. This is a track where we also race, so we know what lap times we should be doing. It will definitely be a good guideline for us. And then I cannot wait until the season starts. Testing is one thing but racing is another. All you want to do is go out there and race. It is not long to wait, just one more month. Also physically I feel very good and I have my trainer coming over to Australia for a couple of weeks more before the race.”

worldsbk.com: Smrz remains on the tio at Portimao
: Test in Portimao

Press Release

The journey to the start of the 2011 World Superbike Championship continues for BMW Mottorrad Superbike Team Italia with the participation in an official test at Portimao.The weather conditions strongly affected the progress for teams and riders, including James Toseland and Ayrton Badovini, as everyone made the most of track time in changing conditions between sunshine and rain. The wet Autodrome Algarve track was not the place to take unecessary risks with less than a month to the first round of the series which will be held Feb. 27 at the Australian circuit of Phillip Island. As expected with the changeable conditions, the test progress was slower than planned for the team, which is in its first year in Superbikes. James has covered 91 laps in the three days while Ayrton has managed 95.

Serafino Foti, team manager of BMW Motorrad Superbike Team Italy said: "The weather conditions have affected the test considerably, slowing our work programme. We had to adapt to the weather and make the best use of the track time available. Next week, the containers with our bikes will leave for Phillip Island. We have much work to do before the race and we still have two tests of two days each. We will work to optimize our current technical package. We are, however, satisfied with the team who worked with great professionalism and put our riders at ease".

Results: 1?? Smrz (Ducati) 1'43"503 - 2?? Rea (Honda) 1'43"676 . 3?? Laverty (Yamaha) 1'43"707 - 4?? Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'43"770 - 5?? Checa (Ducati) 1'43"789... 11?? Toseland (BMW) 1'44"764 ... 16?? Badovini (BMW) 1'45"678

IMS Test Portimao SBK – combined Times Wed/Thurs/Fri
[/b]11 52 Toseland J. (GBR) BMW S1000 RR 1'44.764 [/b]
16 86 Badovini A. (ITA) BMW S1000 RR 1'45.678]/b]

[url=http://www.suzuki-racing.com/fabrizio-upbeat-after-wet-portimao-wsbk-test.23037.cms]Suzuki-racing.com
: Fabrizio upbeat after wet Portimao WSBK test

hondaproracing.com: Castrol Team frustrated by winter test weather

Yamaha-racing.com: Succesful start in Portimao for Melandri and Laverty

WSS

IMS Test Portimao WSS – combined times Wed/Thur/Fri
1 11 Lowes S. (GBR) Honda CBR600RR 1'45.845
2 44 Salom D. (ESP) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'45.931
3 23 Parkes B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'46.316
4 99 Foret F. (FRA) Honda CBR600RR 1'46.415
5 7 Davies C. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R6 1'46.594
6 4 Rea G. (GBR) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.259
7 77 Ellison J. (GBR) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.281
8 9 Scassa L. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R6 1'47.365
9 21 Marino F. (FRA) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.852
10 117 Praia M. (POR) Honda CBR600RR 1'47.941
11 5 Lundh A. (SWE) Honda CBR600RR 1'48.146
12 60 Ivanov V. (UKR) Honda CBR600RR 1'48.585
13 28 Szkopek P. (POL) Honda CBR600RR 1'49.357
14 25 Jerman M. (SLO) Triumph Daytona 675 1'49.408
15 8 Chesaux B. (SUI) Honda CBR600RR 1'49.933
16 22 Tamburini R. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R6 1'50.203
17 87 Marconi L. (ITA) Yamaha YZF R6 1'52.261
18 19 Pirotta M. (AUS) Honda CBR600RR 1'53.635
19 29 Yurchenko V. (RUS) Yamaha YZF R6 1'54.711
20 73 Pozdneev O. (RUS) Yamaha YZF R6 1'55.480
21 24 Blokhin E. (RUS) Yamaha YZF R6 1'56.208

BMW Italia is defending their WSS championship title but chose to focus on their SBK effort in this round of testing.

MotoGP

motogp.com: Filippo Perziosi on the Desmosedici GP11

teamtech3.fr shows its colors for 2011

rizla-suzuki-motogp.co.uk: Rizla Suzuki and Bautista relishing the challenge for 2011

Formula 1

Ferrari unveiled their F150 at Maranello. No it isn’t a truck but the Prancing Horse’s latest car which Domenicali thinks will allow Alonso to win out in the end.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T22_6KMCZbc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

autosport.com

Other Racing

thechicaneblog.com: Unseen 50s Racing Footage: Torrey Pines’ Last Hurrah
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/19175198" width="400" height="265" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/19175198">Torrey Pines Road Races - Jan. 1956</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/harlo">Harlo</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

On the Street

dealernews.com: American Motorcyclist Association introduces dealer incentive program
Competition for our Three for Free

More Video on the 2011 Honda CBR250R
YouTube Video: 2011 CBR250R Behind the Scenes

YouTube Video: 2011 Honda 2011 CBR259R Tech Talk

Meanwhile in the Netherlands – K1100LT day 3
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJvsNXpBhk8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Make your custom exhaust EPA compliant

MCM Video: Getting your knee down
As Neeves explains in the guide, there are lots of strategies for touching slider to tarmac, but this is our recommended method. The guide is broken into 3 parts: preparation, body position and the approach, which together give you a step-by-step guide to knee down fun.
Plus stay tuned until the end for Neeves' top knee down tips:

The Mothership

www.s1000rr.com: PressClub was pushing this site on Twitter

The new G 650 GS puttering around

City Streets
<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://bmw.lulop.com/embed/player/128131" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

The Highway
<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://bmw.lulop.com/embed/player/128133" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://bmw.lulop.com/embed/player/128134" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

PressClub USA: BMW Four-Cylinder Engines Return to US in 2011
So if you are bringing 4 cylinder turbos to the markets around the world what doe you have planed for 2013? Let the rumors begin.

FWIW

Races have all sorts of transporters to hauls their bikes and related race equipment to the track. Here is one of the BMW Italia transporters.

1170599713_3pRqy-M.jpg

The BMW logo is featured in all that white space to promote the brand when it sits at the track and as it moves across the countryside from their home base to the track and back. I wonder how many people see that transporter.

Now imagine a BMW MOA logo pitching our message on the side of one or several of the racer/member’s transporters goes from their home to the track and back. Buying that ad space would cost money but money that would support racing while bringing our message to potential new members.

bmwmoa%20Logo.gif
header3.gif

Join the fun at www.BMWMOA.org
BMW MOA P.O. Box 3982 , Ballwin, MO 63022
ph (636)394-7277

Obviously I am not a graphic designer. Yet it could be as simple as a cleaned up version of this on the side or back door of a racers transporter creating a mobile billboard for the association. Include brochures to layout in the pits as part of the sponsor package we would be purchasing.

Let me know what you think of this idea as a way to spend our money to reach potential new members before I bug the BOD with the idea.

With the snow this week many of you may want to join Foghorn Leghorn and head way south of the Mason Dixon line, but be careful.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ptXEVbBLPDM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

James Toselan works on being fast and getting a knee down at Portimao.

1170594958_CSLAg-L.jpg

Last edited:
More Video on the 2011 Honda CBR250R

i think Honda is way out front with this bike.

Now imagine a BMW MOA logo pitching our message on the side of one or several of the racer/member’s transporters goes from their home to the track and back. Buying that ad space would cost money but money that would support racing while bringing our message to potential new members.

bmwmoa%20Logo.gif
header3.gif

Join the fun at www.BMWMOA.org
BMW MOA P.O. Box 3982 , Ballwin, MO 63022
ph (636)394-7277

Obviously I am not a graphic designer. Yet it could be as simple as a cleaned up version of this on the side or back door of a racers transporter creating a mobile billboard for the association. Include brochures to layout in the pits as part of the sponsor package we would be purchasing.

Let me know what you think of this idea as a way to spend our money to reach potential new members before I bug the BOD with the idea.

great idea! :thumb we should have stickers on every rider's bike, too. wish we had a cool logo......

ian

Sunday, 30 January

1068822555_hJC5U-Th.jpg

SBK

dailytelgraph.com.au: Troy has something to Beemer about

ultimatemotorcycling.com: BMW Motorrad winter test wrap

Kawasaki-racingteam.eu: Sykes top four in Portimao tests

gpone.com: The 2011 technical updates

MotoGP

ultimatemtorcycling.com: Rossi, Stoner hear to Sepang

Formula 1

formula1.com: Interview with Ferrari engine maestro Luca Marmorini

autosport.com: Demands on driers ‘unaceptable’

espnf1.com: Heidfeld’s F1 career in doubt once again

jamesallenonf1.com: Another slammer for Sauber as tequila giant signs deal

On the Street

California Superbike School schedule

dealernews.com: Andertis sue Power Sports Factory
The cost of endorsements

FWIW

Say 250cc four stroke sport bike and for years all that came to mind was Kawasaki’s Ninja 250. The small Ninja has been a gas to ride and an entry bike for many. With the up coming Moto3 formula presenting a bike that could be taken to the street Honda has stepped up and delivered what appears to be one heck of a bike with their CBR250R. If Honda’s estimate that females represent 30% of the potential customers it has to be a market that will be getting increase attention from all the manufactures. A BMW S250RR would be a new way for the Roundel to take on the Japanese at their own game once again.

jsonline.com: Museums wager impressionist art on their Super Bowl teams

jsonline.com: Packers Packard woner demands roughing the hood-ornament call

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Slow news day so there is time for some extra Bike Candy I collected during the week.

1168173178_VyZUW-O.jpg

1171357964_JQVcA-L.jpg

1171357791_gTH9y-L.jpg

1171357817_XT7vw-L.jpg

Tuesday, 1 February

Love the gas guage in that last photo...

I found another version for you. The fun in Bike Candy is what people have done with their bikes that is a bit out of the ordinary.

1172714137_DJVcD-S.jpg

1172714111_DXBUk-S.jpg

1174047301_5y8AF-Th.jpg

SBK

WorldSBK: BMW finish Eastern Creek testing

motogp.com: Repsol Honda display 2011 team in Malaysia

afp: MotoGP champ Lorenzo sees new threat in Spies

Formula 1

lotusrenaultgp.com: R31 Launch: Black to the future

auto-motor-und-soport.de: F1 Sauber C30 – Technical analysis

jamesallenonf1.com: What are the must have interactive tools for following F1 2011

Other Racing

BMW Motorrad by Speedbrain summarizing Dakar
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n-zeCYOkLyM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

On the Street

recalls.gov.au: Ducati Multistrada 1200 Motorcycles
Ducati recall spreads to OZ

motorcyclenews.com: Video Guide – How to back it in.

sportrider.com: First rider: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 – The Gentleman’s Ninja

thevintagent: The London Motorcycle Museum

visordown.com: 2012 Moto Guzzis leaked

The Mothership

PressClub: BMW S 1000 RR voted International Bike of the Year

1174047281_2ztdy-S.jpg

PressClub: BMW Austria goes into the new sailing season with the wind in its sails

FWIW

Monday I started the day with a major morning meltdown, literally.

I put the kettle on to warm water for my morning pressed coffee then picked up my calendar to check a few things. The water began to steam meaning it was time to set the calendar down and make the coffee, which I did. The coffee steeped for a bit then press pour and listen to the fire alarm in the kitchen go off. In my morning pre daze I set the calendar on the stove and it began to smolder.

After cleaning things up I went to publish the post I had put together for Monday. I had a second debacle and lost the post before it was published.

I smiled and headed to the shower smiling thinking of Robin Williams as Garp in the movie The World According to Garp when the airplane crashes into the house he and his wife were looking to purchase. ‘We’ll take it! It’s disaster proofed.’

I had a great day and hope you had and will have one again today.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

1172714205_VpAnR-L.jpg

Back