• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing & The Morning Reads

Friday, May 06 SBK qualifying analysis

It should be no surprise to find BMWs Aprilia and Yamaha on the provisional front row. Monza is a track that favors fast muscular bikes like BMW and ApriliaÔÇÖs superbikes as opposed to the Ducati twins. Yamaha is no slouch either but not in the same league as the top two muscle bikes so it draws a bit from DucatiÔÇÖs bailiwick of finesse to keep up with the muscle boys. WorldSBK is road racing not drag racing so all the bikes have to turn as well as go fast.

WorldSBK provides some great number sheets for race geeks to tear apart. There are a few numbers that I focus in on. Actual Lap Time, Ideal Lap Time, the Gap Time between those two, average speed and maximum speed.

Ideal Lap and Gap Time may be new numbers for some of you. Each track is broken into sectors with timing telemetry to measure times taken to cover a specific sector. The ideal lap takes a riders best time for each sector, adds them together and the result is a hypothetical Ideal Lap. The Gap time is the difference between the Ideal and Actual best lap time for a session. In theory the smaller the gap time the more likely a rider will be able to string repeated best laps together and achieve a better race result.

It is far from a perfect science as I practice it but letÔÇÖs have a look at the numbers.

Leon Haslam:
Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:44.303 min (P10)/Fastest lap Qualifying Practice 1: 1:42.934 min
(P1)
ÔÇ£It was a very good day, and, of course, you are always happy when you are on top. I feel we
have made a big step forward from Assen. Obviously we were always looking forward to
Monza as Troy had a good result here last year. The biggest thing I am happy with is that I feel
overall we have made a step forward with the bike with the way it is working. Now I am looking
forward to tomorrow. We have a few areas where we need to progress, but we are a lot more
consistent and I am really happy.ÔÇØ

In race weekend terms Haslam is not an early riser. First practice is not a predictor but it does set a baseline. After this session he was in P10 with a gap of 0.343 seconds between his actual and ideal lap. The changes made between practice and first qualifying lowered the gap to 0.051 seconds. His average/max speed, in round numbers, went from 199/322 kph to 202/324 kph. With a combination of engine and chassis tuning the 2 additional kph were converted into 3 more average kph. Smooth equals fast.(in most cases, wait for Mad Max)

Additional changes may be made to the bike based on tyres and HaslamÔÇÖs imput.. Saturday free practice and Qualifying session will help tune the bike. The numbers will give an indication if these changes are working.

Fastest lap Free Practice: 1:43.765 min (P2)/Fastest lap Qualifying Practice: 1:43.640 min (P8)
ÔÇ£I am not completely satisfied with todayÔÇÖs result. Although I am provisionally on the second
row of the grid, I have the feeling the bike does not a hundred percent do what I want it to.
Engine braking is still a little bit of an issue. This morningÔÇÖs Free Practice session was pretty
good, but the track temperature was a lot higher in the afternoon session. This affected the
tyre and the way the bike works. We now have to analyse the data. Still, I am optimistic for
tomorrowÔÇÖs second Qualifying Session and Superpole Qualifying.ÔÇØ

Corser must have read and believed the old line ÔÇÿfast on Friday is fast on SundayÔÇÖ. He will improve on the benchmark of first practice numbers but it is more a case of what you see is what you get.

Corser registered a P2 in the first session with a gap of 0.176 and speed numbers of 200/324 khp. In the qualifying session he narrowed the gap to 0.136 but his speed numbers didnÔÇÖt really change coming in at 200/325. This sounds good for being good on Sunday but dropped him down to P8 in Friday qualifying. In simple terms he improved but others improved more.

The 2010 World Superstock 1000 Champion may be getting his SBK wheels under him.

Ayrton Badovini set the fourth fastest time just 342/1000ths from pole man Leon Haslam with the BMW Motorrad Motorsport S 1000 RR.
Ayrton says: "I am very satisfied. It was the best performance on a track since the start of the adventure for our Superbike team. We have received the updates that have helped us a lot and the team gave us a new set-up for Monza which gave excellent results. We still have to fine-tune some things but I must say that having set the time without using anyone for slip-streaming gives me great confidence. "

BadoviniÔÇÖs third fastest in the qualifying session turned into a P4 Friday Qualifying result. He and the Italian team were able to narrow his gap from 0.262 to 0.064. It appears most of the work went into finding engine muscle instead of chassis finesse. The first speed results were 200/321 kph and 201/326. Straight line speed does not always mean faster laps; remember even at Monza you have to turn in road racing. The gap indicates he may be able to keep it up over the length of a race.

If BMW is to move upward in the manufacturer standings he needs to turn in this type of performance on Sunday.

James Toseland was back on track and covered 14 laps in qualifying, setting the nineteenth fastest time.
James said: "The most important thing is Ayrton's result. He has the same bike and his achievements are fantastic for the team and for me too. Unlike Assen, where the bike was behind on development, we now have updates and we can see the difference. As far as I'm concerned I'm quite happy to be back on the bike and I want to ride, obviously not pushing for results. I do not want to force things. I need to prevent damaging the wrist which is still recovering. I must think about the next race where I will definitely be fit".

Toseland is correct in taking a long view. Monza will not make or break his season. Due to his wrist injury he is down on the race count in which to make it; so how did he do?

He qualified P19 up from P21 in practice. His gap numbers look good. He had the smallest gap time for the Enigma Cavalry off the transporter with a 0.196. This narrowed to 0.096 in qualifying. That is better than Corser. The problem is he lacks pace. With 195/317 in practice and 198/325 his maximum speeds are there but he is taking it easy elsewhere.

If Toseland can find a bit of pace and energy he could make it into Superpole. Xaus is in P 16 and only 0.757 seconds ahead of him. To catch and pass a rider with that much of a lead is a huge race day task. In qualifying it is a matter of staging and letting it rip on an open track for a single lap. You catch and pass on the clock not the track. It is a long shot but not impossible. The values of grid position v taking a long look for the season can and will be debated. I think and hope he goes for it.

The rest of the field is a jumble of numbers.

Checa and his Ducati have dominated the SBK news to this point. Currently he leads the riders championship but is back in P13 after Friday Qualifying. The first Ducati is BergerÔÇÖs in P9 the next is GuintoleÔÇÖs in P12. Monza is dominated by muscular fours not stealthy Ducs.

Qualifying P2 is filled by Max Biaggi and his Aprilia. Speed is his game. In practice he clocked in at 199/330 kph adding in qualifying to turn in a 202/333. He has 8 kph on Haslam but that advantage turns into an average deficit to the Brit of 0.037 kph and P2. He is the max speed king but you have to turn to get a lap time. Aprilia appears to be counting on speed but the gap times went from 0.277 to 0.295.

Laverty and his Yamaha are currently in P3. His mix of 201/327 and gap of 0.131 is closer to HaslamÔÇÖs benchmark but not the right balance. Not yet that is.

This is FridayÔÇÖs analysis, FWIW. Mechanics riders and managers are tinkering as I type. Saturday is another day to improve. The Enigma Riders will need to find more speed while hopefully dialing the bike even further. At Phillip Island Haslam had three perfect qualifying sessions and scored a podium on Sunday. Friday looks good for some good results on Sunday.

Housekeeping:

I will make a normal post, or what passes as normal for me, Saturday morning. I have to work while SBK and F1 run qualifying. Work on Saturday calls for an after work ride to get the head cleared. After that I will put together a qualifying review for both. I am off Sunday and will be glued to live timing.

Saturday, 7 May

may%202011%20birthday%20greeting%20br%26mr.jpg

Members with Birthdays Today

SBK

Friday leftovers:

fim-live.com: Haslam holds off record breaker Biaggi

Troy CorserÔÇÖs official website: Monza ÔÇô First qualifying ÔÇô Troy satisfied with 8th on day one

Today was not too bad really, and IÔÇÖm pretty satisfied with how things went. The bike felt good in the morning and I was able to get a feel for the track - especially the new layout of first chicane. The entry and exit is much faster now, so that means we all have to adjust our braking points and that took a bit of time. I think the new design is a bit safer, but because we are going though quite a bit faster, you can feel the rollers more than before. We tried some different forks and a rear shock and I think that there is an improvement in bump absorption now. But obviously, we need more time working with this new suspension before we can understand it completely. I sort of feel a bit happier with the old set up at the moment, so weÔÇÖll probably go back to it tomorrow morning. There were no big dramas really except for an incident with Carlos (Checa). He went off the track and then really fast through a gravel trap before rejoining the track just in front of me! It was a pretty close thing and we nearly collided! I think my bike has good speed and is fast here, so I am looking forward to tomorrow and a place on either the front or second row of the grid. If I can do that, then I think I can get a good pair of results on Sunday. See ya, Troy

hondaproracing.com: Rea fifth at Monza

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5E17ihX7cVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XCxfTF5rrnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suzuki-racing.com: Fabrizio upbeat after fall

Chris Vermeulen (Kawasaki) did not set a qualifying time on Friday will attempt to set a time in Saturdays pre-Superpole qualifying session.
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0a-Dd6tND8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0a-Dd6tND8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

worldsbk.com: Striped Pirelli Superpole tyres for 150 years of Italian unity

Saturday:

Saturday breaks down into two parts, Qualifying Practice and Superpole, with related but different purposes which point to SundayÔÇÖs races.

Qualifying Practice for a few it is the last chance to move into the Superpole. For the rest it is the last chance to set up bike and rider to go the distance of the race while measuring you against the competition. Think in terms of being able to go fast for the entire race.

This session is followed by a three hour break. While other classes play on the track teams transform their bikes and thinking. Sixteen riders will take the track in Superpole looking for three golden laps that will put them on the front row.

Superpole is the realm of sprints within a sprint racing format. Qualifying tires are sticky round things with short lives that are given to obtain the ultimate in speed and lap times. Mechanics and rides go for setups that have them on the edge of ride ability with the goal of shredding those tires while finding the perfect laps time in that session.

Riders sit in the pits then move out onto the track in small groups. Look for a rider that will help set your pace but wonÔÇÖt get in your way and slow you down. On the straight tuck in and draft then sling shot into the clear to take the turn at the perfect apex with maximum speed that you and your bike are capable of; then crank on as early as possible to blast into the next bit of straight to do it again and again to set a lap time. Now dive into the pits so you and the bike can catch your breath. Mechanics will check the bike and tweak as needed while you and the team manager look at the times. Do you need to go out and set another lap time to move to the nest round or stay in and save rider and bike?

Eight riders will find three golden laps that move them through the three rounds of Superpole. Four will find themselves on the front row with the best shot to win the race to turn one.

This is what Saturday is about.

Saturday qualifying;

It is 11:30 in Monza as I type this. Saturday qualifying should be complete but live timing is frozen at th 26ÔÇÖ47 remaining mark. Here are the standings at this point.

1 91 HASLAM L GBR BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'42.934 25
2 1 BIAGGI M ITA Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'42.953 0.019 34
3 11 CORSER T AUS BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'43.263 0.329 30
4 58 LAVERTY E IRL Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'43.265 0.331 33
5 86 BADOVINI A ITA BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'43.276 0.342 25
6 4 REA J GBR Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'43.321 0.387 24
7 41 HAGA N JPN Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'43.339 0.405 325,8 23
8 33 MELANDRI M ITA Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'43.588 0.654 26
9 121 BERGER M FRA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'43.679 0.745 28
10 2 CAMIER L GBR Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'43.730 0.796 15
11 84 FABRIZIO M ITA Suzuki GSX-R1000 PIT IN 1'43.762 0.828 30
12 7 CHECA C ESP Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'43.813 0.879 30
13 66 SYKES T GBR Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'43.850 0.916 31
14 50 GUINTOLI S FRA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'43.861 0.927 24
15 17 LASCORZ J ESP Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'44.047 1.113 33
16 111 XAUS R ESP Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'44.232 1.298 25
17 96 SMRZ J CZE Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'44.401 1.467 23
18 44 ROLFO R ITA Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'44.922 1.988 29
19 52 TOSELAND J GBR BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'44.989 2.055 18
20 8 AITCHISON M AUS Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'45.356 2.422 31
21 32 LAI F ITA Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'45.768 2.834 313,2 24

I do not know if this is a technical problem or there has been an on track problem that has halted the session. Either way I need to post and go to work. I will post full results of this evening.

Formula 1

Turkish GP - Conference
06/05/2011
SENIOR TEAM PERSONNEL - Robert FERNLEY (Force India), Mike GASCOYNE (Lotus), Norbert HAUG (Mercedes), Christian HORNER (Red Bull), Franz TOST (Toro Rosso), Martin WHITMARSH (Mercedes)

bbc.co.uk: Jenson Button fastest in Turkish GP practice

formula1.com: Friday analysis ÔÇô McLaren upbeat as Mercedes close in

formula1.com; WeÔÇÖre targeting third in the pecking order

formula1.com; Sebastian Vettel- Crashing was far from ideal but weÔÇÖll cope

F1 2011 Turkish GP Practice 1 Michael Schumacher Spin
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hCmrnAG_wUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

p90076139_highres-L.jpg

p90076137_highres-L.jpg

p90076138_highres-L.jpg

Other Racing

BMW Motorrad Italia Team - Monza - Practice Day 1
Press Release

Superstock riders in the BMW Motorrad Italia Superstock team hold the top two places at the end of the first qualifying session. The best time was put in by Lorenzo Zanetti, two-tenths ahead of team-mate Sylvain Barrier. Lorenzo fell below the track record set last year by Ayrton Badovini, also on a BMW, but is yet to beat the unofficial time set by Ayrton.

QUALIFYNG:
SUPERSTOCK: 1?? L. Zanetti (BMW) 1'46"381 - 2?? S. Barrier (BMW) + 0.207 - 3?? D. Petrucci (Ducati) + 0.494 - 4?? M. Magnoni (BMW) + 0.591 - 5?? M. Bussolotti (Kawasaki) + 0.632.

p90076129_highres-L.jpg

On the Street

asphaltandrubber.com: 2011 Roehr eSuperSport

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/avSG3ry6kDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

green.autoblog.com: Zipcar going beta with new Android car sharing app

appscout.com: Campfire delicacies on your Smartphone

The Mothership

2 million BMW Motorrad motorbikes from Berlin

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ycMEEmONj90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW plant Berlin produces two millionth motorcycle. Anniversary model donated to "be BerlinÔÇ£ campaign.
Press Release

Berlin. Today, the two millionth motorcycle left the assembly line of the BMW plant in Berlin Spandau. Since 1969, BMW motorcycles have been produced in the factory in Berlin Spandau for the world market. In the course of a presentation ceremony attended by the Governing Mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit, and numerous invited guests, among them the actors Hannes Jaenicke and Gerit Kling, the anniversary bike was presented by motorcycle stunt-riding world champion Chris Pfeiffer. Following, it was handed over to Ren?® Gurka, Manager of Berlin Partner GmbH. It is a BMW R 1200 GS in an exclusive Berlin design. ItÔÇÖs going to be raffled in the industry quiz ÔÇ×Ich bin ein BerlinerÔÇ£ of the industry campaign ÔÇ×be BerlinÔÇ£ÔǪmore

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fwl2nlpA2Gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW Guggenheim Lab to launch in New York City on August 3, before Traveling to Berlin and Asia.
Press Release

Six-Year Collaboration to Examine Contemporary Urban Issues in Nine Cities Around the World. International Advisory Committee Selects New York BMW Guggenheim Lab Team. Design of First Mobile Laboratory Unveiled. New York, NY, May 6, 2011. Richard Armstrong, Director of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Foundation, and Jim ODonnell, President and CEO, BMW North America, LLC, announced today that the BMW Guggenheim Lab will launch in New York City from August 3 to October 16. more

BMW to sponsor J/24 European Championships.

BMW Ireland will be the title sponsor of the J/24 European Championship at Howth next September when up to forty boats from six countries are expected to compete. The J/24 is the biggest and most widespread one-design keelboat class in the world with fleets in 32 countries and is sailed in half a dozen bases in Ireland more

FWIW

Now some real race action

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YcR6Uw2UL7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fsD-sePT3tY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reference: :

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey
Before a log trip
Before winter
How to clean your motorcycle

ascycles.com: BMW Motorcycle Service and Maintenance Schedules

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="296" id="utv752351"><param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=false&brand=embed&cid=3064708&v3=1"/><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf"/><embed flashvars="autoplay=false&brand=embed&cid=3064708&v3=1" width="480" height="296" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv752351" name="utv_n_836281" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Video streaming by Ustream</a>

Shameless Trolling For Touring Tips

NHTSA.dot.gov Vehicle Recalls RSS

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg
MSF Motorcycle Operators Manual

MSF Question of the Day: What is the appropriate technique if you must go over an obstacle in the roadway?

MSF Tip of the Day:

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries ÔÇô Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg
Gasbuddy.com: Search for local gas prices along your trip route.

Cycle-ergo.com motorcycle ergonomic simulator.

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From RocketGarage Caf?® Racer ÔÇô Only One

p1000552-M.jpg

p1000551-M.jpg

p1000550-M.jpg

p1000557-M.jpg

p1000554-M.jpg

Saturday, 7 May Qualifying update

SBK

Live timing was stopped at 26ÔÇÖ47 remaining in the Second Qualifying session for World Superbike and I did not know if it was a feed problem or a problem on the track. It was the latter.

Wild card entrant Lai aboard a Honda CBR1000RR had blow his engine spewing oil all over the track. The session was suspended to allow the spill to be cleaned up. When that was completed the session resumed. When all was said and done Haslam was on top in P1 followed by Biaggi in P2, Corser in P3 and Badovini had improved to P5!

The down note of the only down note for the session came when BMW Motorrad Italia announced Toseland would not be racing anymore this weekend. He had finished the session in P19. Given his condition nothing would be gained. He will be fully fit for the Miller Motorsport Park round in the US Memorial weekend.

The Saturday Qualifying session has two primary purposes. It is the last chance for teams to tweak their race day setups and the last chance for riders to move up into the Superpole speed quest.

There is a free practice session between Q2 and Superpole for the advancing riders to prepare for the Superpole. This session ended with Biaggi and Camier, the two Aprilia factory riders on top followed by Haslam and Corser. Biaggi had found 10 kph more in maximum speed than the BMWs. However, this only gave him roughly 0.30 seconds advantage on the BMW riders. Badovini faltered a bit in his setup for the next session and dropped to P13 in the practice time rankings.Superpole still looked to be up for grabs. Teams headed to the pits when the session ended to prepare for what indeed was a very interesting Superpole round.

BADOVINI ÔÇô P9

Badovini and BMW Itllia SBK pulled things together. In Superpole one he was able to move up to P10 in the standings and advance to the second round. In this round he came up 0.015 seconds short to Haga and his PATA Racing Team Aprilia and will start SundayÔÇÖs races on the third row in P9.

"I'm happy but not satisfied. I was hoping to be stronger in practice because the grip has increased significantly but failed to lower the times. What makes me happy is knowing that the pitch is good with race tyres, and tomorrow I hope to be with the leaders at the end of the first lap. I thank the guys that have worked hard over the weekend, and now I will do my best because I want to leave Monza even happier and satisfied with our performance.ÔÇØ

HASLAM ÔÇô P6

Tyres have been a recurring mantra in qualifying for BMW Motorrad riders. Once again they played a significant part in HaslamÔÇÖs Superpole results but with a very different twist to the tail.

As time was running down on Superpole 1 Haslam had not posted a time that would advance him to the second round. A ÔÇÿtechnical problemÔÇÖ is blamed for the problems. What it is remains unclear but he looked to be ready to be someplace on the fourth row if he did not do something radical.

Teams normally use a hard compound tyre in Superpole 1 saving the saving the soft sticky full qualifying tyres for the second and third rounds. With nothing to loose and everything to gain Haslam went all in and put a set of qualifying tyres on to make one last set of hot laps and hopefully advance to Superpole 2. The prize in this strategy would be a third row start if he could pull it off. He did and finished Superpole 1 in P2 behind Biaggi this time instead of just ahead of him.

The die was cast in Superpole 1 so the second set of qualifying tyres was put on the bike. The prize for advancing to Superpole 3 would be a second row start at worst. This time he dropped to P6 which was more than good enough to make the list of eight riders to compete in Superpole 3.

Superpole 3 was run on a racing tyre. In the world of tyres these are sticky thing when compared to anything a normal rider will use but they are not the same as the qualifying tyres the rest of the Superpole 3 riders were sporting. HaslamÔÇÖs time declined once again but to his racing credit he maintained his P6 and Sunday will start both races in striking distance on row two.

I made a slight mistake in Superpole 1, which meant I went for the qualifying tyre to ensure I posted a quick time, so thatÔÇÖs why my lap time in SP1 was my fastest of the three sessions. In Superpole two I used the second and final set of qualifiers, but again I caught some riders in the wrong place on the track and my lap time wasnÔÇÖt as quick. Still I made it through to Superpole 3. There I was forced to do the whole session on a race tyre, but I still managed sixth place. With regard to tomorrow I am feeling pretty confident, our race pace is good so I am really looking forward to getting out there.[/]

CORSER P4

Corser continued to build on the racing success he found earlier in the day. When he described his Superpole experience he sounded like a race instead of a whinny rider blaming tyres or the bike for his performance.

He finished Superpole 1 in P8. He moved up a position and finished Superpole 2 just behind Haslam in P7. In Superpole 2 apparently came into the left hand chicane that forms turn 3 a bit hot and hit the curb. This cost him a ÔÇÿtenthÔÇÖ but more importantly it altered his approach to that set of corners for the rest of Superpole. He dug a bit deeper in Superpole three putting himself and his S1000 RR on the front row in P4. He will start both races Sunday with a clear view of turn 1 and beyond.

ÔÇ£I am quite happy with todayÔÇÖs result. I tried to push in Superpole 2 and made a small mistake at La Roggia - I hit the kerbs and lost some time. In Superpole 3 I was a little bit more cautious, and I braked a little sooner. As a result, again I lost a few tenths. The BMW S 1000 RR still does not like to be pushed too much. Nevertheless, I am happy enough as I made it onto the front row for the first time this season. I now hope for a good start and to get through the first chicane without any issues. On the race tyre I have quite a consistently good pace. I think wherever we are after the start, we can also be at the end of the race. I am looking forward to tomorrowÔÇÖs race.ÔÇØ

Several writers have been quick to point out this is not the best qualifying result for the Enigma riders. That is true; however, looking at the results over the weekend the team looks the best it ever has going into SundayÔÇÖs races.

I canÔÇÖt wait until Sunday and the green flag.

Formula 1

The future of the Turkish GP may be in doubt but this race weekend may go down as one of the best of the season. FridayÔÇÖs wet crash filled practice sessions gave way to dry hot laps on Saturday combined with a few surprises.

Vettel topped the practice session by just beating out Michael SchumacherÔÇÖs time for the session! Schumacher did not fair as well in qualifying, he has not mastered this type of qualifying, but his teammate Nico Rosberg turned in a P3 performance. Mercedes may have things sorted out with their car finally. Hamilton will start next to Rosberg on the second row behind Vettel and Webber who are hogging the front row again. This is VettelÔÇÖs fifth pole in a row.

FIA

Post Qualifying Press Conference

Classifications
Lap Times
Maximum Speeds
Sector Times
Speed Trap

I was going to babble on a bit more but was called to the hospital. A new pit crew member almost joined us for race weekend a month early. False alarm all is well.

Sorry for no pictures. I need a drink.

Back Sunday with more racing news.

SBK Warm up session

The Warm up session for Sunday’s racing found Haslam back on top of the timing chart. Biaggi was not far behind with a bike that seems to be fully dialed in with a gap time of 0.00. Biaggi was behind on lap time but is 10kph ahead in max speed which may make for challenging racing given Monza’s long straights. Over the length of a lap Haslam could reel Biaggi in but passing would be done on the straight where the Italian could slipstream then pass again.

Laverty is the lone none BMW/Aprilia in the front seven bikes on the chart. Corser is solidly in fourth on the chart and Badovini in 7th. Rea’s Honda is in P8 0.30 seconds behind Badovini with Melandri behind him. Both can strike to the front but seem to be just a tick off the front pace. Checa is the first Ducati in P10. The race may be stage in Italy but the track does not favor the Italian superbike at all.

1 91 L. HASLAM GBR BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'43.270 8 201,387 321,5

2 1 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.311 0.041 0.041 7 201,307 331,4

3 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.524 0.254 0.213 8 200,893 321,5

4 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR 1'43.692 0.422 0.168 8 200,567 324,7

5 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.704 0.434 0.012 5 200,544 331,4

6 41 N. HAGA JPN PATA Racing Team Aprilia Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.764 0.494 0.060 6 200,428 324,7

7 86 A. BADOVINI ITA BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team BMW S1000 RR 1'43.818 0.548 0.054 8 200,324 322,6

8 4 J. REA GBR Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.843 0.573 0.025 6 200,275 317,3

9 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Yamaha World Superbike Team Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.893 0.623 0.050 8 200,179 326,9

10 7 C. CHECA ESP Althea Racing Ducati 1098R 1'44.011 0.741 0.118 7 199,952 315,2

11 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 1'44.079 0.809 0.068 6 199,821 317,3

12 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Team Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'44.110 0.840 0.031 8 199,762 322,6

13 96 J. SMRZ CZE Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing Ducati 1098R 1'44.346 1.076 0.236 5 199,310 315,2

14 111 R. XAUS ESP Castrol Honda Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.355 1.085 0.009 8 199,293 316,3

15 121 M. BERGER FRA Supersonic Racing Team Ducati 1098R 1'44.358 1.088 0.003 6 199,287 305,3

16 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.395 1.125 0.037 6 199,216 317,3

17 17 J. LASCORZ ESP Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.784 1.514 0.389 8 198,477 320,4

18 8 M. AITCHISON AUS Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'45.514 2.244 0.730 8 197,104 312,2

19 44 R. ROLFO ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'46.200 2.930 0.686 6 195,831 314,2

20 32 F. LAI ITA Echo Sport Racing Company Honda CBR1000RR 1'46.291 3.021 0.091 8 195,663 314,2

The weather forecast is for a sunny day in the 70s. This was going to a key for race tire selection as Corser pointed out. The first race is scheduled to begin shortly.

SBK : Race 1 18 Laps

The live timing board lights up after the race start and the riders reach the first telemetry point. CORSER is in the Lead!

Lap 2
Laverty is now show as leader. Biaggi has pass?® Corser.

Haslam is listed in P 5 and Badovini is way back in P122. The board is a jumble.

Lap 3

Milandri briefly lights up a leader then is quickly overtaken by Biaggi who then yields the lead to Laverty.

Haslam is in P4 having passed teammate Corser. What is up with Badovini? He is listed in P16.

Lap 4
In order P1-10
Laverty
Biaggi
Melandri
Haslam
Corser
Fabrizio
Haga
Rea
Checa
Camier

Lap 5
Laverty and Biaggi a breaking out a bit. Haslam passes Milandri for P3 while Corser remains solidly in P5.

Lap 6
Haslam is opening a bit of a gap on Melandri. The leaders are dueling. Biaggi shows briefly as leader in the long straight then Laverty takes the lead back.

Haslam is alone in P3 reeling in the leaders as they duel while opening almost a second lead on Melandri. Fabrizio has passed Corser who is now in P6

Lap 7
The leaders seem to be willing to settle in position for now. Dueling is fun for fans but slows racers down. The lead pace picks up as a result and Laverty and Biaggi open up a gap on Haslam again.

Lap 8
Badvodini is in P15 now. He must have had a bad start and was caught up by the field and sent back.

Melandri is going green. This means he is turning his personal bests for sections. He is trying to catch Haslam.

Lap 9
The midway point and P1-4 light up the board with personal best times. The hunt is on at full tilt.

P1-3 are within a second of each other with Melandri not far behind. Fabrizio is over three seconds behind the leader and Corser a second behind him.

Lap 11
Badovini has moved up one more spot and start this lap in P 14 on the board.

Laverty
Biaggi
Haslam…No Haslam has passed Biaggi when the first interval lights up! He holds briefly but then is passed by Biaggi as they come back to the start straight.

Lap 12
Laverty is clearly breaking away as Biaggi and Haslam duel for P2. Milandri remains close but is not in the duel… yet

Lap 13
Badovini lights up gree and is up to P13 now.

Milandri is tightening up on Haslam putting him in the middle of a sandwich. Haslam must challenge Biaggi while hodling off Melandri.

Lap 14
Biaggi breaks away as Haslam defends. This clears the track for the BMW and Haslam opens a bit of a gap on Melandri. Both are lit up green turning in their best times yet.

Lap 15
Haslam is holding off Melandri for now.

Corser is loosing time to Fabrizo and falling into the sites of Rea.

Badoviniis in P12.
Lap 16

Haslam and Melandri go green again! Melandri is pushing.

Rea passes Coser putting the Aussie and his BMW in P7.

The last Lap
P1-4 all are green pushing for the final lap. Haslam continues to hold a 0.30 second gap on Melandri. The track in front is open for him.

HASLAM PODIUMS IN P3!!!

1 58 LAVERTY E IRL Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'43.324 18

2 1 BIAGGI M ITA Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'43.332 1.575 18

3 91 HASLAM L GBR BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'43.361 3.078 18

4 33 MELANDRI M ITA Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'43.321 3.255 18

5 84 FABRIZIO M ITA Suzuki GSX-R1000 PIT IN 1'43.275 11.812 18

6 4 REA J GBR Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'43.959 12.371 18

7 11 CORSER T AUS BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'43.589 13.280 18

8 2 CAMIER L GBR Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'44.210 17.419 18

9 7 CHECA C ESP Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'43.868 17.569 18

10 96 SMRZ J CZE Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'44.187 18.420 18

11 86 BADOVINI A ITA BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'43.971 20.031 18

12 50 GUINTOLI S FRA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'44.024 20.405 18

13 66 SYKES T GBR Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'44.002 26.693 18

14 121 BERGER M FRA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'45.047 38.429 18

15 111 XAUS R ESP Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'44.876 40.164 18

16 41 HAGA N JPN Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'43.544 49.081 18

17 8 AITCHISON M AUS Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'45.633 57.930 18

18 32 LAI F ITA Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'45.850 1'03.039 18

RET 17 LASCORZ J ESP Kawasaki ZX-10R RETIRED 1'43.764 9 Laps 315,2 9

RET 44 ROLFO R ITA Kawasaki ZX-10R RETIRED 1'45.646 12 Laps 6

Three hours to Race 2 (9:30 Eastern). I am off the Turkey to check in on F1. The Turkish GP starts at 8 AM Eastern.

Formula 1

The race is scheduled to start shortly. I will be watching and taking race notes until the end or it is time for SBK Race 2.

Live timing just came up

Vettel and Webber on row one again for Red Bull. Vettel the favorite but Webber could pip his teammate.

Rosberg and Hamilton on row two. Rosberg is proud of the improvements made by Mercedes but historically is a better at practice and qualifying than racing. Hamilton is quietly determined this weekend. For the field this is a dangerous combination.

Alonso and Button on row three. Either could podium but neither will win.

Petrov and Schumacher on row four. Both have the potential to pull an upset, not a win but an upset strong finish.

Heidfeld and Massa on row five round out the top ten.

Glock in P 21 is listed in the pit with gearbox trouble

Weather is good as the formation lap begins.

Red lights are on  they go green and we are racing.

Into turn one Vettel Rosberg Webber Hamilton Alonso
Hamilton goes wide and loses positions to Alonso and Button.

Lap 2 of 58
Glock is still in the pit and listed as retired.
Perez ducks in to replace a damaged nose on his Sauber. Paging the race officials.

Lap 3 of 58
Barrichello has passed Heidfeld.
Schumacher pits for a new nose on his Benz there are stories here.

Vettel has a 2.4 lead on Rosberg in P2. Webber is pushing the German hard

Lap 4 of 58
Alonso and Button remain ahead of Hamilton. Hamilton looks to be faster than Button who is losing ground to Alonso.

Lap 5 of 58
VettelÔÇÖs lead is now 4.4 seconds but it is in front of Webber now who has taken P2 from Rosberg. He used the DRS to pull off the pas.

Lap 6 of 50
The Red Bulls are pulling away. Vettels lead is up a tenth over Webber whose lead over Rosberg is now shown at 1.8 seconds.

Lap 7 of 58

Rosberg is under attack by Alonso
Hamilton passes Button
Alonso passes Rosberg for P3

Lap 8 of 58
Petrov heads into the pits.
Button retakes Hamilton in turn one.
Apparently PetrovÔÇÖs stop was scheduled, he is in and out quickly. Strategy?

Lap 9
Massa then Hamilton dive into the pits. These are short runs for tyres. They run side by side down the pit.

Lap 10
More pit action as, with the exception of Vettel the ramiang top ten head into the pits. Oops Button has not pitted yet.

Lap 11
Vettel pits
Button is in the leads but it will not be for long Vettel rejoins in P2 and has a stop in hand on Button.

Massa goes purple setting a new fast la.

Lap 12
Now Webber takes his turn at fast lap.

Kobayashi in his Sauber is making an appearance in the top 10 in P5 but has yet to make his first stop.

Lap 13
Button pits relinquishing the lead to Vettel. He rejoins in P7

Lap 14
Kobayashi pits from 5th

After this round of pit stops the top ten is
Vettel
Webber
Alonso
Hamilton
Rosberg
Massa
Button
Petrov
Heidfeld
Buemi ÔÇô there is a name I have not used in a while.

Schumacher pits for a second time form P 15 changes tyres and is out. Not the either he or I expected for him.

Lap 16
In the top 10 Rosberg is the only driver being challenged. Massa is on his tail and pressing.

Currently the gap from P1 to P10 is shown at 29.3 seconds. Let the mid race parade begin.

Live timing reports that Di Resta and Schumacher mad contact as the Scot passed the German. Paging the race Stewards

Lap 19
Massa continues to pressure Rosberg but can not make it around.
Perez in P17 takes his Sauber purple setting a new fast lap.

Petrov into the pits. He set off the last round of pit stops.

Lap 20
Massa takes Rosberg
Hamilton into the pits from P4, Massa could pick up another position Hamilton rejoins in P10

Lap 21
Webber pits form P2. If the pattern holds Vettel will pit next lap. He currently has a 7.5 second lead on Alonso.

Lap 22
Massa and Rosberg traded positions sometime during the last lap then Massa made a move and brought button with him dropping Rosberg two spots to P7 in the current order.

Lap 23
Alonso pits from P2. He has enough of a lead on Webber he may rejoin in position.
Vettel has yet to pit.
Alonso lights up as pit out and Massa immediately lights up as pit in.

Lap 24
Rosberg and Heidfeld pit at the same time.

Lap 26
Vettel pits but has a 23.1 second lead on Webber when he does and returns to the race still in the lead.
Massa goes purple.
Button is in P4 currently but is the only one of the top 10not to have made a second stop

Lap 26
Alonso goes purple once again. The Ferraris like fresh rubber.
Button pits. He rejoins in P7 ahead of Rosberg.
Schumacher has cracked the to 10 but still has not made his second tyre stop.

Lap 27
VettelÔÇÖs tyres are warm and he sets a new fast lap. His lead over Webber is 8.5 seconds and 9.1 over Alonso.

Lap 28
The two duels in the top 10 are Petrov/Massa over P5 and Rosberg/Heidfeld over P8.

Lap 29
45.1 seconds currently separate Vettel in P1 and Schumacher in P10

Lap 30
Alonso finds a way around Webber. Sneaky devil I didnÔÇÖt see that coming just yet.

The field now is
Vettel
Alonso
Webber
Hamilton
Petrov
Massa
Button
Rosberg
Heidfeld
Buemi

Schumacher pits and gives up P10 to Buemi. He rejoins in P14

Lap 32
Petrov has his hands full holding off Massa and Button. 0.6 seconds separate the three.

Up front Vettel has a 8.9 second lead on Alonso and 11.3 seconds on Webber. Hamilton in P4 is 27.9 seconds behind leader. Then a huge gap to Petrove who is 46.6 behind the leader and in the fight.

Lap 34
Hamilton pits and should hold his position
Petrov pits as does Massa while button stays on track.

Lap 35
Hamilton has troubles in the pit and will lose spots he should have held.

Lap 36
Alonso pits ÔÇô he rejoins in P2 holding tha position.
Heidfeld pits
Hamilton goes purple ÔÇô this time for speed not anger.

Lap 37
Webber pips Hamilton for fast lap

Lap 38
No it is AlonsoÔÇÖs turn to show off and take fast lap.

Vettel has yet to make his third stop, assuming he will. He currently has a 25.0 second lead on Alonso. The Ferraris are fast on new tires but seem to eat their speed up fairly quickly.

Lap 39
Button pits from P4

Lap 40
Vettel pitswill he get out cleanly? Can Alonso close the gap enough to make a challenge for the lead? He goes purple in the last sector. Vettel has a smooth pit and holds the lead.

Lap 41
VettelÔÇÖs lead is down to 7.1 seconds but he has fresh tyres.

The top ten have all made their third stop the field order is
Vettel
Alonso
Webber
Hamilton
Rosberg
Button
Petrov
Heidfeld
Massa
Schumacher who is 61.1 seconds behind Vettel. But 2.7 seconds ahead of Buemi in P11.

10.5 seconds separate Vettel in P1 and his teammate Webber in P3 then there is a 31.7 second gap to Hamilton in P4.

Lap 43
Live timing is reporting Vettel is not expected to pit again but Alonso Webber and Hamilton are. Button is not but Rosberg does as I am typing. 4th stop for a fresh set of softs.

Lap 45
Buemi has overtaken Schumacher for P10 Live timing describes him as crusing past Schumacher.
Schumacher pits.

Lap 46
Alonso and Hamilton pit

Lap 47
Vettel was not expected to pit but does. Webber sets a new fast lap.
Apparently Vettel and Red Bull donÔÇÖt want to take any chances with Alonso and his fresh rubber.

Lap 49
Webber has narrowed the gap to Alonso to 1.1 seconds.
Vettel has fresh rubber, an open track and a teammate engaging the enemy in a duel that could slow him down. Things look good for the reigning champion to notch another win.

Lap 51
7 laps to go but 7 minutes to SBK Race 2. I have the SBK live timing up on my netbook and F1 on the home box.

Lap 52
Webber has taken P2 from Alonso.
Alonso makes two attempts to repass but fails

Lap 53
Webber now is show with a 1.1 second lead on Alonso. Hamilton remains a distant fourth a full 32.8 seconds behind P3.

Lap 54
Alonso loses precious tenths to Webber again.

Rosberg just passed Button for P5.

Lap 55
My alarm just went off I am switching focus to SBK. Dang.

Chequered Flag

The provisional top 10

1 Vettel
2 Webber
3 Alonso
4 Hamilton
5 Rosberg
6 Button
7 heidfeld
8 Buemi ÔÇô Good for him and Torro Rossi
9 Petrov
10 Kobayashi and his Sauber
Out of the points
11 Massa
12 Schumacher

SBK Race 2

The grid resets to the original starting order.

Corser is on the front row again but has a history of fading in the second race. Haslam has to be fired up after Race 1ÔÇÖs podium; can he repeat? Will Badovini pull off a better start>

Race 2
Disaster on the first lap!

Haslam and Smrz are listed as crashed and Rea is out with no notation The field is a jubble

Biaggi takes the early lead bringing Camier along with him for a current 1-2 for Aprilia

Lap 6 of 18
The filed has strung out. Biaggi has a 4 second lead over Camier who has a 2 second lead over Corser in 3rd

Lap 7
Corser drops to P6 as Melandri Haga and Fabrizio pass him. Race 1 winner Laverty is right behind him.

Badovini is in P10

Lap 8
Biaggi adds another second to his lead and is running away.

Camier crashes!!

Laverty overtakes Corser but with the crash Corser is still in P6.

Lap 9
At the midway point the top 10 are
Biaggi
Melandri
Fabrizio
Haga
Layverty
Corser
Checa
Badovini
Guintoli
Sykes
The rookie Italian WSS Champion is having a much better Race 2 even without the help of crashes.

Lap 11
Laverty has moved to P3 potentially putting two Yamahas on the podium.

Lap 12
Corser remains in P6 and is lighting up the board green along with others. The last dash for Sunday points is on.

Lap 13
Corser has a 1.8 second lead over ChecaÔÇÖs Ducati who in turn has a 4 second lead over Badovini.

Lap 14
Major problem for Biaggi who falls to P11!!!!

Melandri
Laverty
Fabrizio Haga
Croser
Checa
Guintoli
Badvodini
Lascorz
And Sykes are ahead of him now.

No news on what happened but in the process Badovini lost a position to Guintoli

Lap 15
Corser is now in P5 and just shy of 4 seconds ahead of Checa.

Lap 16
Badovini has retaken position from Guitoli and back in P7.

Biaggi has fought back to P9

Last Lap
Badovini has taken P6 from Checa bringing Guitoli along with him in the process. This is shaping up to be a big improvement for the BMW Italia rider and team.

Chequered Flag

1 58 LAVERTY E IRL Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'43.220 18

2 33 MELANDRI M ITA Yamaha YZF R1 PIT IN 1'43.662 0.327 18

3 84 FABRIZIO M ITA Suzuki GSX-R1000 PIT IN 1'43.640 2.466 18

4 41 HAGA N JPN Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'43.853 2.583 18

5 11 CORSER T AUS BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'44.040 4.502 18

6 86 BADOVINI A ITA BMW S1000 RR PIT IN 1'43.553 10.865

7 50 GUINTOLI S FRA Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'44.353 11.038 18

8 1 BIAGGI M ITA Aprilia RSV4 Factory PIT IN 1'43.023 18.724 18

9 17 LASCORZ J ESP Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'44.049 20.093 18

10 7 CHECA C ESP Ducati 1098R PIT IN 1'44.075 20.376 18

11 66 SYKES T GBR Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'44.142 21.111 18

12 111 XAUS R ESP Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'45.286 28.608 18

13 44 ROLFO R ITA Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'45.414 33.459 18

14 8 AITCHISON M AUS Kawasaki ZX-10R PIT IN 1'45.489 42.810 18

15 32 LAI F ITA Honda CBR1000RR PIT IN 1'46.279 55.759 18

RET 121 BERGER M FRA Ducati 1098R RETIRED 1'45.360 5 Laps 13

RET 2 CAMIER L GBR Aprilia RSV4 Factory RETIRED 1'43.497 11 Laps 321,5 7

RET 96 SMRZ J CZE Ducati 1098R RETIRED 242,7 0

RET 91 HASLAM L GBR BMW S1000 RR RETIRED 237,4 0
RET 4 REA J GBR Honda CBR1000RR RETIRED 226,9 0

I will update with any news on HaslamÔÇÖs crash and condition. I will have full results and news in MondayÔÇÖs post.

Now it is off a late family breakfast and see how my daughter is doing.

Monday, 9 May

SBK

Superpole - Monza 2011
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1S5sVqhv8jA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VPRDRy0rkk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FIM-live.com: Biaggi and Aprilia blwo them all

SBK Race 1 - Monza 2011
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S6lwdnrGGQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZAHe-OOz3_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SBK Race 2 - Monza 2011
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FGR26TwpUDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DdqF8eAOCSQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FIM-live.com: Laverty at the double

BMW Motorrad Motorsport - WSBK - Monza – Races
Press Release
Weather conditions: Sunny.
Temperature: Air: 24 – 30 ??C, Track: 40 – 48 ??C
Number of riders participating: 20 from 13 teams
Fastest lap Race 1: Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) 1:43.275 min
Fastest lap Race 2: Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) 1:43.023 min

Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport celebrates another podium in the FIM Superbike World Championship. In the fourth round of the 2011 season at Monza (ITA), works rider, Leon Haslam (GBR), finished third in race one. In the second race Leon was involved in a crash involving several riders in the first chicane, and was forced to retire. His team mate, Troy Corser (AUS), finished the races in seventh and fifth respectively. In the riders’ championship Leon Haslam is now sixth (84 points), while Troy has moved up to 11th (46 points). In the manufacturers’ standings BMW has moved up to fourth with 101 points…more

Troy Corser’s official website;
Tyre issues prevented Troy from mounting a podium challenge in both 18-lap races in Monza today and was disappointed because the signs were there that today could’ve been a repeat of his podium here last year. He made a superb start to the Race 1 and led the field going into turn one. But he began to suffer tyre problems as early as the third lap and was unable to push hard enough to keep in contention with the leaders. He made another good start in Race 2 and once again led the pack down the long straight and into the first chicane, before being passed by Max Biaggi (Aprilia). This time, Troy’s tyres lasted better. He was going well until he was squeezed out of turn one by Melandri and lost some time and from then on, it was difficult to regain the ground lost. Briton Eugene Laverty (Yamaha) opened his World Superbike account by winning the first race, with Max Biaggi (Aprilia) second and Troy’s team mate Leon Haslam (BMW) third. He then followed it up by winning race two, after leader Biaggi was forced to take a ride through penalty after failing to take the correct line after cutting the first chicane. This time Marco Melandri (Yamaha) was second, with Michel Fabrizio (Suzuki) third. Troy - Race 1: 7th, Race 2: 5th I have some mixed feelings about today. I am happy how the races went, but disappointed with the results because they could’ve (and should’ve) been better. After the way the bike has been this weekend, I really thought I could get a podium or two and I think that would’ve been achievable, if if had not been for some issues I had with the tyres. In the first race, I got a good start and led going into the first chicane. After just three laps the rear started to go off and by lap nine it was finished. From then, it was a matter of survival. There were a few times when I nearly crashed, but I was determined to keep going and finish the race. We hardly changed the bike at all for race two - maybe just a click on the preload to put a bit more weight on the rear. I led off the line and was feeling pretty comfortable in the top three until lap seven when I got squeezed out of the first turn by Melandri. I lost some time because of that and dropped to sixth place as a result. This year’s series is so competitive, that when you lose even just a little time, it is very hard to make it up again. I got stuck in sixth, but then moved up a place when Max (Biaggi) had to take his ride through penalty. The bike felt good today, so it’s shame we had some tyre consistency problems because otherwise I’m sure we would’ve ended up on the podium. It’s kind of frustrating when you know you could’ve done better, but that’s racing sometimes. See ya, Troy

i-3KZzGzj-M.jpg

Twitter: realleonhaslam: Happy with race 1 but bad race 2, taken out at first chicane and now have a broken toe, nice. That will be fun for testing this week.

Twitter: realleonhaslam: All good though, just had an awesome pizza with jamie whit and jack b at Orsa Bruno. Best pizza ever.
Leonhaslam.com : Haslam grabs podium finish the crashes in Italy

LEON HASLAM secured a second podium finish of the 2011 World Superbike Championship with third place in Sunday’s opening race of the fourth round at Monza in Italy before crashing out at the first corner of the second race.

The BMW rider was fastest in qualifying after Friday’s and Saturday’s action and eventually, after Superpole, qualified in sixth place on the grid aboard his S1000RR machine.

The opening 18-lap race at the high-speed historic venue near Milan featured a thrilling 200mph fight as Haslam held third place for much of the time, easing into second place briefly before crossing the finish line for his sixth top five finish from seven races.

“I felt that I could run the pace to win the race,” explained Haslam who finished just 3.078s behind winner Eugene Laverty of Ireland. “But I got involved in a fight with Max Biaggi and we slowed each other up and allowed Eugene Laverty to get an advantage.”

He continued: “Biaggi then got away from me and I spent the closing stages of the race just defending third place from Marco Melandri. It’s nice to be on the podium again though.”

Haslam’s second race ended at the tricky first chicane at Monza as he and two other riders all crashed in the hectic first corner tussle. Haslam suffered a broken toe as he endured a first non-finish of the year.

“I was hit from behind at the first corner and that’s about all I know,” said Haslam. “It was the end of the race for me which is a major disappointment. I’ve a broken toe on my right foot but it won’t affect the testing we’ve got coming up or the next round in America.”

He concluded: “The BMW team has done a lot of work since Holland three weeks ago and we definitely have an improved machine this weekend. The next few races look promising and I’m hopeful that it won’t be too long before I can get my first win on a BMW.”

BMW Motorrad Italia Superbike Team - Monza – Race
Press Release
Potentially better results could have been scored by BMW Motorrad Italia Superbike team at Monza in the fourth round of the World Superbike Championship. Ayrton Badovini – the sole rider after James Toseland was forced to sit out the races - took a good sixth place, which could have been complemented by an equally good result in race one. ..more

Suzuki-racing.com: Fabrizio races to Monza WSB podium
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2E837A_0mLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rider Standings after Monza
Carlos Checa Ducati 145

Marco Melandri Yamaha 118

Max Biaggi Aprilia 117

Jonathan Rea Honda 89

Eugene Laverty Yamaha 85

Leon Haslam BMW 84

Michel Fabrizio Suzuki 74

Leon Camier Aprilia 58

Jakub Smrz Ducati 55

Noriyuki Haga Aprilia 47

Troy Corser BMW 46

Ayrton Badovini BMW 35

Tom Sykes Kawasaki 34

Joan Lascorz Kawasaki 33

Ruben Xaus Honda 31

Sylvain Guintoli Ducati 29

Roberto Rolfo Kawasaki 15

Mark Aitchison Kawasaki 9

Maxime Berger Ducati 5

Barry Veneman BMW 3

Joshua Waters Suzuki 3

James Toseland BMW 2

Fabrizio Lai Honda 1

Bryan Staring Kawasaki 1

Manufacture Standings after Monza

Ducati 152

Yamaha 147

Aprilia 139

BMW 101

Honda 93

Suzuki 74

Kawasaki 53

Formula 1

FIA:

Sunday Race Press Conference

RACE
Grid
Classifications
Lap Chart
Lap Analysis
Fastest :Laps
History Chart
Maximum Speeds
Pit Stop Summary
Sector Times
Speed Trap
Technical Report

Standings
Drivers
Constructors

formula1.com: Q&A with Sebastian Vettel

bbc.co.uk: Fernando Alonso hails Ferrari fightback

bbc.co.uk: Jenson Button unhappy after McLaren strategy error

reauters.com: Team by team analysis of Turkish Grand Prix

formula1.com: Bernie Ecclestone on News Corp, engines, Harain & more

Other Racing

STK1000 Race - Monza 2011
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QiFI9yQ24mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

World Superstock 1000 – BMW Italia
In Superstock after the retirement of Sylvain Barrier in the first part of the race with engine failure, came the glory. Lorenzo Zanetti took his second victory in two successive Sundays by beating Davide Giugliano (Ducati) in the sprint by just 65 thousandths of a second. With this win Zanetti is now third in the FIM Cup and sits just thirteen points behind the leader.

i-3f9MSpb-M.jpg

bmw-motorsport.com: Priaulx and Alzen score podium result for BMW in Spa.
The second round of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup (ILMC) again saw a BMW M3 GT finishing in the top three of the GTE Pro class on Saturday. Andy Priaulx and Uwe Alzen claimed third for BMW Team Schnitzer in Spa-Francorchamps.

onthethrottle.com: The Zone part 1
This is the first installment of a mini-series called The Zone. In this segment, we ask the riders about the physical vs. mental aspects of racing.

Making of RC 30
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PFvwymR9U0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q4tQhI5eO0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

This is the point where a racing journalist would write an analysis of the race weekend and give you some great insight into cause and effect. I am not a racing journalist. I am a fan with a recurring thread on a website, but here is my analysis of the race weekend and my insight into the cause and effect.

I had fun because there was some real racing. I don’t know what you saw, if you watched, and how you felt about that or walked away with. In the oddball way in which I watch a race I had great fun.

Later in the week I may sort through some things I noticed over the weekend. But on a Sunday evening in May I am pleased that everyone I followed this weekend came away relatively unscathed; a few broken bones and such but alive and relatively unscathed. Riders and drivers that I root for did well and poorly. I saw many adverts and will buy some of the products. Perhaps not because they were advertised in relations to racing but I will let marketing people worry about that.

Racing is many things to me, but on this weekend it was good entertainment.

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: Which of the following is true of making eye contact with other drivers?

MSF Tip of the Day: Riding excellence means wearing proper protective gear on each ride. Choose gear for its protection

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries – Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

i-LjsMmCB-M.jpg

i-sMNVh9z-M.jpg

i-b7zN8MH-M.jpg

i-x8PMRt2-M.jpg

i-LQ9stbJ-M.jpg

i-t5wfmk4-M.jpg

i-HKLBfWZ-M.jpg

i-tCHTcSJ-M.jpg

P.S.
i-bR87Z89-M.jpg

Aryton would you move a bit to the left,
you are standing in front of the Umbrella Girl.

Tuesday, 11 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: Irish eyes certainly smiling at Monza

aprilia.com: A decision from race officials deprives Max Biaggi a victory at Monza

FIM Videos: 2011 FIM Superbike World Championship ÔÇô Monza
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yXCCmPg9Ixw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sucati.com: Checa and the Althea Racing Team limit the damage in todayÔÇÖs SBK races at the Monza

Normally I donÔÇÖt like it when the refs get involved in a way that determines the outcome of any sport. Drive through penalties, such as Biaggi suffered at Monza, leave me with mixed emotions.

To the credit of the stewards they saw the error, made a ruling and the penalty was handed down during the race. I really donÔÇÖt like post race time penalties that change outcomes.

Aprilia management argues Mad Max gained no advantage by the error and the stewards should have dealt with it in another manner if at all. This is an appealing argument on many levels allowing for discretion and magnanimity the just leaves you feeling so superior when you do it.

Drive through penalties suck. I would like to be more eloquent or magnanimous but that is the long and short of it. Monza is the Cathedral of Speed but as I wrote often over the weekend this is road racing and you have to be able to turn as well a go fast. Mad Max was going to fast to properly turn. His competitors were slowing down to make the turn as track and rules require. We can debate the relative advantage or lack of advantage in the incident, but this is road racing and you have to turn as well as go fast on the straights.

FWIW: I may not like it; however, I give this one to the race stewards.

MotoGP

Video: Round 4 of the 2011 MotoGP World Championship, the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France, takes place at Le Mans where a number of close rivalries will once more come to the fore.

rizla-suzuki.com: Bautista in determined mood for Le Mans

Estoril Videos are coming out

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DNZ1yX1X4u4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ha6kE5v4h8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Formula 1

formula1.com: Turkey analysis ÔÇô Ferrari fight back begins?
Perhaps, but they are just one of many that are showing they are getting things sorted out and Red Bull have learned their lessons

autosport.com: Ground effects return to be called off
Good!

autosport.com: F1 figures defend overtaking changes

f1technical.net: All new front wing and nose package on VJM04

Other Racing

BMW Z4 GT3 scores triple podium in Portugal ÔÇô Next up: the N??rburgring-Nordschleife.

BMW private teams kicked off the FIA GT3 European Championship in style last weekend. Need for Speed Team Schubert claimed a one-two with the BMW Z4 GT3 at the first race of the year in Portim?úo (PT). Edward Sandstr?Âm (SE) and Abdulaziz Turki Al Faisal (SA) crossed the line first, followed by team-mates Claudia H??rtgen (DE) and Csaba Walter (HU). The final spot on the podium also went to a BMW pairingÔǪ.read more

BMW alla Mille Miglia 2011
ÔÇó 09.05.2011
ÔÇó Comunicati Stampa

Monaco/Brescia. Early examples of the BMW 328 began in June 1936, and no one imagined that it would be coming soon in the legend. 75 years later, BMW has 12 copies of the BMW 328 Mille Miglia classic, held from 12 to 14 may with the traditional path Brescia-Roma-Brescia. "La Mille Miglia race is still linked to the fame of the BMW 328," says Karl Baumer, head of BMW Group Classic. "For this reason, we arrived in Italy with a record number of BMW 328: even a dozen, as we did last year." The starting line, in addition to recur as standard models, race cars driven by BMW 328 Touring Coup?®, winner of Mille Miglia, and once again the BMW 328 Kamm Coup?®, this out of the race. This car, which they believed disappeared last year celebrated its first appearance at the "Mille Miglia".

http://m1ka.smugmug.com/Other/2011-Bench-Racing-and-the/i-7kNXrC2/0/M/P90060659-M.jpg[img]

[size=4] [b]On the Street[/b] [/size]

[url= http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/05/md-triple-tested-2011-bmw-f800r/]motorcycledaily.com[/url]: MD Triple-Tested: 2011 BMW F800R

[url= http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/honda-cbr250r-real-world-test-red-alert/3525/1]bsmotoring.com[/url]: Honda CBR250R Real world test Red Alert!
What ever you think of India in other areas they have honed view of sub 350cc motorcycles that comes from years of experience.

BMW 2010 S1000RR Track Test - 1 of 3
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jM5e65VwGxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW 2010 S1000RR Track Test - 2 of 3
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eN7rCIiUR3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW 2010 S1000RR Track Test - 3 of 3
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBPmCXAO3sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW just touted their 2 millionth Berlin assembled motorrad Triumph ticks off 500k
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UAfICm_rjjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[url= http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/sw-motech-skid-plate/]webbikeworld.com[/url]: SW Motech Skid Plate ÔÇô Installation review

[url= http://www.realclassic.co.uk/books/legends_in_their_lifetime.html]realclassic.co.uk[/url]: leginds in Their Lifetime, George Brough & Lawrence of Arabia, by Titch Allen

[size=4] [B]The Mothership[/b] [/size]

[b]BMW M5 at the test track[/b]
<object width="224" height="126">
<param name="FlashVars" value="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13574%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13574%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="allowFullScreen"/>
<embed src="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13574%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="224" height="126" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13574%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
</object>

[b]BMW Group expands its activities in China[/b]
Press Release
Note: This press release is a 1:1 copy of the original issued by BMW headquarters in Germany. No adaptations have been made to cater for the UK market.

Further extensive investment in China planned

Party Secretary of Liaoning Province Wang visits BMW Group

Munich. The BMW Group is planning further expansion of its activities in China in the future. BMW Group vehicles are very popular in China. We anticipate that this growth will continue in the future. Therefore, together with our Joint Venture partner Brilliance we will increase the previously announced investment of 560 million euros in our Chinese facility in Shenyang to around one billion euros, announced Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Norbert Reithofer, during the visit of the Party Secretary of the Chinese province of Liaoning, Wang Min, in Munich on Monday[url= https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/gb/pressDetail.html;jsessionid=Q6JmNLyLNzvPGXDzjTGqLhDk61dFyQ214hMs3CZJ9QgcR3Wpvqp1!-18414862?outputChannelId=8&id=T0107793EN_GB&left_menu_item=node__2201&status=published]read more[/url]

BMW makes buying easier with new eBay store
ÔÇó 09.05.2011
ÔÇó Press Release
BMW will start selling parts and accessories direct to owners for the first time, thanks to a new partnership with eBay, the leading online retailer. ÔÇÿBMW DirectÔÇÖ, now live on eBay.co.uk, will satisfy the growing demand from motor enthusiasts for purchasing original parts online.

Previously, BMW owners wanting to pick up Genuine Parts have had to place their order via one of the many dealerships. With its new store on eBay, as well as merchandise BMW fans will be able to buy genuine BMW parts and accessories such as brake discs and car care products direct from the carmaker.

This is BMWÔÇÖs first venture into e-commerce and will allow the carmaker to reach those customers not accustomed to visiting a BMW dealer regularly.

BMW, the first carmaker to open a store on eBay UK, joins over 100 other well-known fashion and home brands already selling new and fixed price goods direct to their customers via eBayÔÇÖs UK site. Motor parts and accessories is one of the most popular categories among eBayÔÇÖs 96 million active users worldwide.

All items sold through BMW Direct are offered from stock with free postage and packaging and are covered by a full two year BMW warranty. BMW UK will handle the shop front of BMW Direct with the processing of orders being handled by BMW Park Lane in London.
Carl Sanderson, General Manager Aftersales Development, said: ÔÇ£As a premium car manufacturer, we are always interested in understanding customer preferences when it comes to buying products. We recognise that there are customers who wish to buy BMW products but do not necessarily want to travel to a BMW dealer to make a purchase.

ÔÇ£As such we see eBay as the perfect solution for them. By embracing this modern retailing approach, we believe we can engage with and satisfy a number of additional customers through what is a new retail channel for BMW.ÔÇØ

Angus McCarey, UK Retail Director of eBay, said: ÔÇ£eBay UK is home to over 100 leading brands who realise the added value an eBay shop brings, whether they are already selling online or not. There are over 600,000 searches for BMW every month on eBay and BMW will now be able to access this existing, yet untapped customer base, while increasing its reach to the millions of other consumers who buy and sell on the site.ÔÇØ

To see what is on offer at BMW Direct visit [url]http://goo.gl/gyQQf[/url]

[size=4] [b]FWIW[/b] [/size]

[url= http://roehrmotorcycles.com/wordpress/?p=54]Roehr Motorcycles[/url] has announced its 2011 e-SuperSport. This is the electric variant of a project that started out with a Harley-Davidson power plant several years ago. The package is attractive enough but will it appeal to more than the early adopter crowd?

At over $18,000 out the door you get a top speed of over 100 mph. More than enough top speed to get me into trouble canyon carving.

What is more likely to get me in trouble is the 75 mile range before recharge. Peanut gas tanks on old Sportsters gave a range of just over 100 miles. The joke among my garage mates was that was just about as far as you would want to ride one before taking a break. A 75 mile rage with a 7 hour recharge time would work for my daily commuting needs nicely. Unlike the peanut tank Sportster I may forget the 100 mile range of the Roehr. A smooth electric SuperSport with linear torque and just under 70 hp may cause me to forget my turn around point is actually my point of no return.

[img]http://m1ka.smugmug.com/Other/2011-Bench-Racing-and-the/i-LN2Gdcr/0/M/58-M.jpg

57-M.jpg

59-M.jpg

60-M.jpg

A nice bike with much potential but still not enough range for me to part with $18K+.

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey
Before a log trip
Before winter

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="296" id="utv752351"><param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=false&brand=embed&cid=3064708&v3=1"/><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf"/><embed flashvars="autoplay=false&brand=embed&cid=3064708&v3=1" width="480" height="296" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv752351" name="utv_n_836281" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Video streaming by Ustream</a>

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: If you experience wobble, what should you do?

MSF Tip of the Day:

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries ÔÇô Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

CopyofDSC00495-L.jpg

Wednesday, 11 May

SBK

They are in Italian but this is the long version of the Monza Races

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UZYLbP8gJHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ff8Do95vIes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Miller Motorsport Park is next, take two laps with Ben Bostrom
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g4c2S0oBSjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gpone.com: Checa ÔÇô ÔÇ£I barely made itÔÇØ

MotoGP

fim-live.com: Lorenzo leads the way to Le Mans

gresiniracing.com: Simoncelli confident for Le mans after Estoril test

motomatters.com: 2011 MotoGP Le Mans press release previews

Formula 1

jamesallenonf1.com: Why the Turkish GP turned out as it did ÔÇô Strategy anaylysis

reuters.com: Barrichello fears for Monaco safety with new wing

Other Racing

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bb2SP-xSGpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thekneeslider.com: MJ-Works 2500RR ÔÇô Design and build your own 250 racer

On the Street

roadracingworld.com: MV Agusta releases 201 horsepower F4 RR

motorcycle-usa.com: Dr. FrazierÔÇÖs BMW R69S Adventure

Casey Stoner ride 2011 Honda Fireblade CBR1000RR Repsol Replica (property Honda-Montesa)
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k-YZuHTVO0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Motorcycle USA Harley Street Bob vs. Triumph Thunderbird
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6pPFMymKsCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

recalls.gov.au: Triumph Motorcycle Company Ltd. ÔÇô Thunderbird and Thunderbird ABS

The Mothership

BMW PressClub Japan: BMW announces the arrival of the K1600GTL in Japan
10.05.2011 Press release
BB m & w Corporation (President and Representative Director: Roland Kruger), BMW announced the first series 6-cylinder engine with the new BMW K 1600 GTL , in the BMW Motorrad dealers across the country to start selling from June 10, 2011.

RANKIN: SPIRIT OF ECSTASY ÔÇô AN ART COMMISSION FOR ROLLS-ROYCE MOTOR CARS
ÔÇó 10.05.2011
ÔÇó Press Release

In the year that celebrates the centenary of the Spirit of Ecstasy, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars today announced details of a very special commission. Over the next months, 100 images inspired by the Spirit of Ecstasy - the figurine famed for its prominent and defining position on the bonnet of every Rolls-Royce - will be captured by renowned photographer Rankin. The first two images in the Rankin: Spirit of Ecstasy collection are revealed today.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ndb_h5bUulU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey
Before a log trip
Before winter

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: Wobble that occurs due to improper motorcycle loading can be corrected by doing what?

MSF Tip of the Day: A skilled rider is a decisive rider. Once you've adequately evaluated a situation and decided on a course of action, execute it.

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From the blog Le Container

tumblrlcj86lY50U1qb4da4o11280-L.jpg

Thursday, 12 May

SBK

WorldSBK Magazine – Monza
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fu__8ShY6Sk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

worldsbk.com: Addendum to the invitation to tyre supplye tender
SBK is looking for tenders from tyre makers and tire makers to supply the series for the 2013-2014-2015 seasons. This is not unusual but not unwelcome if you are a BMW fan. Pirelli may end up continuing to be the supplier but we can hope that a manufacturer of tyres more S 1000 RR friendly gets the nod. BMW and its riders have had trouble managing the degradation of tyres over a race and the variance of tyre quality over the race weekend. Pirelli F1 tyres have drawn very mixed reviews in that racing theater. In the long run F1 experience and funding may help with the SBK issues. Time and tender responses will tell.

MotoGP

motogp.com: Bridgestone bringing new asymmetric rear slick to Le Mans
Single compound tyres are just that, made of a single compound over the entire surface of the slick. Dual compounds will normally have a hard

fim-live.com: The Ducati Marlboro Team returns to Le Mans circuit

DAD! Val and Casey are fighting again!
motomatters.com: Rossi claims Stoner “obstructed” him at Estoril test

Formula 1

reuters.com: Renault looking to supply engines to a fourth F1 team
After ‘Crash Gate’ it looked like Renault would exit F1 altogether. The request to supply a fourth team is a big turn around for them. The final response from the FIA may speak volumes about the importance of Cosworth the series as an engine supplier.

f1technical.net looks at the first major sevelopment step for Ferrari. Alonso and his red Prancing Horse had a good result in Turkey. It was good enough that Alonso is talking about mounting a title challenge

Gee Fernando I thought that was why you guys built the car and paid the entry fee in the first place. Never Mind.

formula1.com: Boullier – Kubica’s condition continually improving

The F1 rumor mill has been full of speculation that Schumi will not finish the season. Former teammate Johnny Herbert is the most recent voice in the chorus of people saying the fun is gone and the former champ will end his return sooner than latter. Over the years Schumi and his manager have used the German paper Bild as their “official – unofficial” press agent to respond to the world and its speculations.

Schumi did not have the result he hoped for at Turkey but from what I read and saw he had a good race weekend. The RB car, that’s Ross Brawn not Red Bull, is finally working with him instead of against him. There are many races left in the season so time will tell. My money is on Schumi finishing the season and the life of this F1 formula. I don’t see him going beyond that.

Other Racing

fim-live.com: Glen Helen Raceway ready for the Monster Energy GP USA

BMW K1300 TEST at MiROCK Start it up
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/421eJFlVfPw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Jordan Motorsports - Miller Test Wrap-up - 2011
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_alnXnMLl_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vintage Motocross
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tJ6TBkIVJMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

2012 new MV Agusta F4 1000 RR Corsacorta photo compilation
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-rSvAVej9_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

BMW Motorrad Brazil starts marketing of the F 800 R produced in Manaus
11.05.2011 press information

Began marketing the F 800 R, second model built by BMW Motorrad Brazil under CKD (Complete Knock Down), in Manaus. The brand has embraced this Assembly process since the end of the year 2009, when it began producing the G 650 GS, BMW first motorcycle to be mounted on national territory, in partnership with DAFRA motorcycles, which became a sales success.

[img[http://m1ka.smugmug.com/Other/2011-Bench-Racing-and-the/i-g4bVj4t/0/M/P90062599-M.jpg[/img]

With the manufacture of this model, the BMW Motorrad Brazil reached the 7th place in worldwide sales of the group. Only in the first quarter of 2011, have been delivered to customers in more than 300 units of G 650 GS, demonstrating great acceptance by the consumer. Sales success and expansion of the concessionaires of brand, allowed the BMW Motorrad think a template to produce in the country.

"We have the best portfolio of products with technology and design generation. Since we started our partnership with DAFRA, we further our position on the national market and now we present another product appealing adapted to the Brazilian market and, mainly, with competitive price, "says Rolf Epp, Director of BMW Motorrad in Brazil.

The F 800R is a motorcycle "naked" for the middle segment. Sports and character conceived for a dynamic, provides maximum riding pleasure. Being a known as a dynamic Roadster, the model has great features, besides the sportiness, comfort of seating the pilot and his companion, offering exceptional level of security, one of the classical virtues of BMW brand models.

With a two-cylinder engine, maximum power of 64 kW/87 BHP at 8,000 rpm and maximum torque 86 Nm at 6,000 rpm, the F 800 R has a great capacity for recovery and Acceleration factors that provide the greatest satisfaction of riding on winding roads.

The F 800R, which had its production started in April, arrived at dealerships in the group this month for R$ 36,900.00, available in the Premium package (which includes ABS, on-board computer, LED lights, windshield sport bike color and outlet 12V) in the colors white, yellow and gray granite metallic.

[Translation by Bing]

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LJYiHVyPAyE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

The BMW announcement of assembly of the F 800 R for the South American market is a model expansion of an existing production scheme. In December 2009 BMW and ]DAFRA Motorcycles began production of G 650 GS models for that market built in CKD scheme.

P90055000-M.jpg

In this model DAFRA Motorcycles provides the assembly line and plant. The production line is a dedicated line with dedicated employees for the line. BMW (and its normal sub-contractors) produce the motorcycle then ship it in ‘kit’ form for assembly at the DAFRA production facility. The assembly line was developed on the existing BMW plant production model. DAFRA employees were trained by BMW. Funding for the physical plant was totally done with Brazilin capital. Keep these two points in mind.

When the ribbon was cut in 2009 the projected production for 2010 was estimated to be 1000 units for 2010. The 2010 BMW annual report BMW reported total motorcycle production of 112,271 put BMW and Husqvarna brand motorcycles with 99,236 of those being BMWs. The BMW brand number included 2,160 construction kits for assembly in the DAFRA plant. What I have not been able to sort out is how many of those kits were actually assemble ad what represents inventory for future production.

The F 800 R appears to be a logical model to expand production with both from a market fit for sales and simplicity of adding it to the production mix. It is clearly a distinct model from the G series but shares a number of features that should make adapting the production line simple.

Harley-Davidson’s use of the CKD production model to enter the India motorcycle market has resulted in many discussions on this and other forums. On the surface there are many parallels between their efforts and what BMW has now been doing for two years and is expanding. However, there may be more to this story than meets the casual observer’s eye. With a heavy emphasis on may let me explain what I mean.

BMW is a world wide player producing multiple models and brands of vehicles in multiple nations. In many cases BMW and MINI models that are produced in those world plants are tailored specifically for those markets. At the same time the assembly deal was being struck with DAFRA Motorcycles BMW was going through one of its periodic realignment of production facilities. Brazil was the site for production of MINI engines for use in Asia and the Pacific Rim markets in general. BMW planed to move MINI engine production closer to the end user plants. The Brazilian government stepped in an halted the sale and movement of heavy equipment used in this production to protect Brazilian jobs.

I have not followed the MINI engine issue since I first read and reported about it. Therefore, I can not point to a clear tit for tat exchange. The emphasis that Brazilian capital and Brazilian jobs were created by the CKD assembly deal may be pure coincidence and purely the result of sound business judgment to expand BMW sales in the South American market. Projected production of 1000 units versus 2,160 CKD units included in BMW’s 2010 production figures would seem to support the soundness of the business model. At the same time I am always skeptical of coincidence. Thus there may have been much more that went into the BMW decision to enter the CKD production model in Brazil than was involved in the H-D decisions in India. The emphasis on the use of Brazilian capital and Brazilian jobs in the 2009 press release continues to stand out to me.

P90054999-M.jpg

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey…
Before a log trip…
Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: If you are chased by a dog while riding, what is the best way to avoid an encounter?

MSF Tip of the Day: When doing your T-CLOCS pre-ride inspection, check air pressure in tires when cold; adjust to load.

SportRider.com: Motorcycle Riding Skills Seiries – Street bike and motorcycle riding skills techniques articles at Sport Rider

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Before

before-feb-2011-3.jpg

A mtocyclephotooftheday.com 1985 R80 Caf?® Racer

img0394-L.jpg

img0396-L.jpg

Friday, 13 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: Checaa goes quickest in Misano testing
The two BMW riders Troy Corser and Leon Haslam were also present together with Steve Martin testing new cycle parts.

MotoGP

motogp.com: Le Mans weekend warms up with press conference

motogp.com: Le Mans racing numbers

ducati.com: the Ducati MotoGP Team returns to the track at historic Le Mans Circuit

hondaproracing.com: Honda MotoGP racers head to Le Mans on a roll

teamtech3.fr: Preview - Monster Grand Prix of France, Le Mans

moto.it: Stoner against Rossi and Lorenzo against Simoncelli

autosport.com: Rossi optimistic of improved pace
As the season started Rossi was pegged to be 100% in May. It is May.

motomatters.com: EditorÔÇÖs blog ÔÇô Why I am not going to Le mans (and you shouldnÔÇÖt either)
DonÔÇÖt worry IÔÇÖm broke and staying home online.

Formula 1

formula1.com: Lewis Hamilton Q&A ÔÇô Championship will be won with consistency

Los MiniDrivers ÔÇô Turkish GP
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lNJyKElGWrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sky.com: Media moguls join F1 consortium

reuters.com: Barrichello casts doubt on his Williams future
..but no this hopes for an F1 future

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OQN6S3RdV0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hp5p4sKVIsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f9cekNRUHnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8XmqU4yX2jE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jv9mpna_Mwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Statement Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, 91st Annual General Meeting of BMW AG, 12th May 2011

Reithofer: Ambitious goals for 2011
ÔÇó 12.05.2011
ÔÇó Informa?º?úo ?á Imprensa
Full-year sales and earnings targets reaffirmed at AGM
Company to expand leading position in the auto industry
BMW Group to hire around 2,000 new staff in 2011
Employees to receive record profit share

Munich. The BMW Group can look ahead to the current financial year with confidence after a strong first quarter. ÔÇ£We have ambitious plans for 2011,ÔÇØ stated Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at the Annual General Meeting held on Thursday in Munich. The companyÔÇÖs goal of setting a new earnings record in the current financial year remains unchanged. It is also targeting an all-time sales high: ÔÇ£We aim to deliver more vehicles than ever before ÔÇô well over 1.5 million vehicles,ÔÇØ Reithofer continued. The companyÔÇÖs EBIT margin target of more than 8% for the automotive segment also remains in place.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fwl2nlpA2Gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Meet the Guggenheim Lab Team
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x6Xh05kQNLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HZEz88O7nYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VRKfOh9UDLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HcsW7TW9gUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

The two major press releases have little to directly say about BMWÔÇÖs motorrad segment. They do provide company context for the future operations and goals the company that segment is a part of.

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey
Before a log trip
Before winter

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: Why should you become familiar with your motorcycle and check all motorcycle equipment?

MSF Tip of the Day: Protect yourself by creating distance ÔÇô so you have more time to respond, more space to maneuver.

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From Le Container ÔÇô Burt Monroe

Burt-Munroe.jpg

Look at that smile

Saturday, 14 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: WSBK stars [Toseland and Vemeulen] continue along road to full recovery

Yamaha-racing.com: Successful testing in Aragon for the Yamaha World Superbike Team

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YZeRXJlsdgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

moto.it.: Infront committed to safety with the project Fun & Safe

MotoGP

fim-live.com: Stoner leads all Honda top 3
Apparently no one blocked Casey during the afternoon session at Le Mans

gresiniracing.com: Simoncelli maintains fantastic form on day one at Le Mans

ducati.com: Hayden fourth and Rossi ninth in free practice

bbc.co.uk: Steve Parrish’s MotoGP column

gpone.com: Lorenzo – “ I’ll improve but it’s tought”

rizla-susuki-motogp.com: More to come from Bautista after first full day at Le Mans

teamtech3.fr: Encouraging start for Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team on home soil
-related-
bikesportnews.com: Braking error costs Cruthclow

Formula 1

formula1.com: Spain preview quoted – Sauber, McLaren, Mercedes and more

bbc.co.uk: Lewis Hamilton – Spain to test the rules
Hamilton said: "It will be interesting to see how the DRS affects the racing.
"Typically, it's been very tough to overtake at Barcelona because the best opportunity - into the first corner - is too fast to make a pass stick."

jamesallenonf1.com: how F1 fuels are made
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8z5fULMYdfg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8z5fULMYdfg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Ferrari is always on its own pace when it comes to the various silly seasons
reutrers.com: Massa’s Ferrari future secure, says Montezemolo
reuters.com: Ferrari boss says F1 teams open to breakaway series.

A breakaway series is a growing story that may be more than speculation. Teams have rumbled about a breakaway series for years. Honda stirred the pot when they were still in F1. BMW played a moderating role in 2009. Teams lacked outside money in the past. The best they could come up with was a very limited schedule paid for out of their own pockets. Growing media consortiums may be the outside money needed to pull off a breakaway series in 2013. Tracks may be the big obstacle to overcome. Tracks with the capability to actually run such an event may be already under contract to F1 or unwilling to suffer FIA retaliation. A breakaway series may be moving from a grocery store checkout line tabloid headline to a real motorsport story to follow.

Other Racing

thechicaneblog.com: It’s Mille Miglia Time!

hondaproracing.com: Honda Racing Corporation to Present Moto3 Machine in Catalunya

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5EtlrdGGKFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i0oD3XlNkAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motorsportretro.com: Legends – Franco Uncini

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KlETAL-zG1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

recalls.gov.au: Suzuki Australia—GSX-R600, GSXR750, GSF650, GSF1250, GSX650F, GSX1300BK Motorcycles

vosa.gov.uk: Suzuki Motorcycles DL100, GSF1250, GSF650, GSX1300, GSX-R650, GSX-R750, LT-Z400, SFV650,VL800, VLR1800& VZ1500

No news of a US or Canada recall at the time I put this post together.

tc.gc.ca: Canadian recall of Triumph Thunderbird

Note: The Australian site covers New Zealand also. I have finally found a feed for the Canadian Road Safety Database and will monitor it for this thread. I monitor the UK’s VOSA – Recall site (no rss feed). The EU is a mystery.

bsmotoring.com: Bajaj raises stake in KTM
This is an incremental increase, but growing. In 2007 Bajaj took a 14.5% stake in KTM seen as a way for KTM to raise much needed capital and Bajaj to enter the European market. As the stake has increased the flow to technology and KTM interest in India has grown at the same time. CROSS Industries, KTM’s 50.1% majority share holder, says they have no intention of selling out.

This is not unprecedented. For example, Suzuki has made 30% outside ownership share part of its business plan for research related to both cars and motorcycles for decades. GM held that share for years until it divested it during the US auto meltdown and VW picked it up. Honda has had a variety of relations with the Hero Group that have helped both while respecting the company integrity.

This could be a recurring story. CROSS has no need to increase its stake to maintain control of the company. As minority investors seek to divest for other investment opportunities Bajaj could be the only interested buyer. How KTM/Bajaj will play out remains to be seen.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v3g1YDQtPBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bonhmas.com: Guggenheim Museum's Ultra Rare "Art Car" Inspired BMW to be Sold at Quail Lodge

2011 Vespa 65 years in movies
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oSjpmsI6RrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mothership

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7mr5Cjhux4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object width="224" height="126">
<param name="FlashVars" value="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13581%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13581%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
<param name="allowFullScreen"/>
<embed src="http://www.bmw.tv/com/player.swf?configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13581%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="224" height="126" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="configPath=http://www.bmw.tv/com/player/playerEndpoint.do?articleID=13581%26type=embed%26viewUrl=http://www.bmw.tv/com/view/bmw/view.swf"/>
</object>

facviij,cin : Reinventing the exhaust

webbikeworld.com: 2011 Vintage Motorcycle Days.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zgtW0iMEDP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wlZEp3gAM7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E_irwb62kiY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey…
Before a log trip…
Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: What situation poses the greatest potential for conflict between a rider and other traffic?

MSF Tip of the Day: To control your bike well, sit far enough forward so arms are slightly bent; that way you’re not stretching.

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Have you ever gone to the candy store and been torn between two very different candy choices. You may have only one, but which one?

In 1985 I was living in Illinois. I was a region sales manager for a hotel chain and traveled often with the region operations manager. We constantly were stopping at stores on our trips to look at candy. He wanted me to help him pick a piece of candy. As we looked I kept eyeing a piece of Oriental candy just like today’s bike candy. Several candy shop owners let me take the candy out for tests. I remember traversing I80 at obscene warp factors and finding twisty bits of road and almost dragging a knee as tested this bit of, for the day, overpowered bit of candy.

p1050228.jpg

p1050232.jpg

p1050238-L.jpg

One day we stopped at a multi brand candy shop. They had the new K candy from BMW. While my coworker friend was looking at them I wondered back into the shop. Back in a corner there was this bit of silver R candy made in 1984. It was a carryover, unwanted and collecting dust. I asked a mechanic if it was in for repairs or if it was for sale. Before he could answer the dealer who followed me answered: “It’s for sale. If you’re interested I want to get it off my inventory. If you’re serious lets talk.”

“Yes” I replied, “but I have a bike to sell before I could close the deal.”

“No problem, I haven’t been able to move it. If we can settle on a price I can wait. I have been waiting to sell since last season.”

I looked at my friend who was standing next to him. He was holding a piece of paper in his hand that he had just pulled out of his wallet. I looked at it. It was a check for the full amount I planed on asking. “I’ve wanted your bike since you said you were thinking of selling it. Finding your next bike seemed the quickest way for me to get it.” 24 hours later I was riding my first Roadster home.

Over the next few seasons I acquired a several boxes of parts. There were various handle bars and clip-in bars. Bar end mirrors. Three sets of rear sets; one I cobbled together on my own and two I bought. The list goes on. I made 24 hour round trips of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. There were countless hours spent discovering and honing my solo rider version of The Pace long before the article was written. My youngest pit crew manager (a.k.a. daughter) was three when she began learning her numbers finding wrenches for me when I worked on the bike. There was a day when my oldest pit crew manager (a.k.a. daughter) came to the dinner table and announced; “Dad I can sit on the rear seat and my feet reach the pegs when can I go for the ride you promised?”

Some times when you see the piece of candy you did not choose you wonder; what if? I see today’s bike candy, remember those test rides then savor all the memories of the piece of candy I chose and know I made the right choice.

Sunday, 15 May

MotoGP

hondaproracing.com: Honda sweeps top four places in Le Mans qualifying

gresiniracing.com: Simocelli just 0.59 seconds from pole position

motogp.com: Lorenzo and Spies optimistic for Le Mans race [5th and 8th]

teamtech3.fr: Crutchlow and Edwards show class in Le Mans [6th & 7th]

ducati.com: Ninth and tenth places in Le Mans qualifying for Rossi and Hayden

rizla-suzuki-motogp.com: Gutsy fourth row for Bautista at Le Mans [12th]

reuters.com: Rossi and Lorenzo opposed to rearranged Japan race

sportrider.com: Honda’s latest technology patent

Formula 1

autosport.com: Sauber plans major update for Spain

planetf1.com: Senator: Texas cannot afford F1
The group responsible for bringing Formula 1 back to the United States is facing fresh criticism from sceptics who say the cash-strapped Texas state can't afford the ambitious scheme.

Other Racing

fo,=live.com: FIM Sidecar World Championship Schleiz

Barry01-M.jpg

autoblogreen: Line-up for Infineon round of TTXGP confirmed

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8PO-aRJv148" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMW Motorsport on the podium again at the N??rburgring, heavy accident for Priaulx.
• Press Release

N??rburgring, 14th May 2011. In a dramatic third round of the VLN Endurance Championship at the N??rburgring-Nordschleife (DE), BMW Motorsport scored another top three finish. After 40 laps and a race time of over six hours, Augusto Farfus (BR), J?Ârg M??ller (DE) and Pedro Lamy (PT) came third with the no. 42 BMW M3 GT. The second car (number 43), driven by Andy Priaulx (GB), Dirk M??ller (DE) and Dirk Adorf (DE), retired following an accident with just one hour to go. Priaulx hit the barriers at high speed in the “Br??nnchen” section. The driver from Guernsey returned to the team following a routine medical check-up in Adenau (DE) hospital. Ferrari’s Marco Seefried (DE), Jaime Melo (BR) and Dominik Farnbacher (DE) claimed victory in the “Green Hell”.

On the Street

motorcycledaily.com: Motorcycle sales increase but product is running short

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Victory Motorcycles hiring senior motorcycle designer

odi.nhsta.dot.gov: Triumph Thunderbird

FWIW

Ron Gutman: The hidden power of smiling

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talk/stream/2011U/Blank/RonGutman_2011U-320k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/RonGutman-2011U.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1143&lang=&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=ron_gutman_the_hidden_power_of_smiling;year=2011;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;theme=what_makes_us_happy;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=how_the_mind_works;event=How+the+Mind+Works;tag=Culture;tag=Science;tag=happiness;tag=society;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talk/stream/2011U/Blank/RonGutman_2011U-320k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/RonGutman-2011U.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1143&lang=&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=ron_gutman_the_hidden_power_of_smiling;year=2011;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;theme=what_makes_us_happy;theme=new_on_ted_com;theme=how_the_mind_works;event=How+the+Mind+Works;tag=Culture;tag=Science;tag=happiness;tag=society;"></embed></object>

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey…
Before a log trip…
Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: When should you use your turn signals?

MSF Tip of the Day: Helmeted riders are 3X more likely to survive head injuries in a crash than those who don’t wear it.

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

From motorcyclecnews: BMW S 1000 RR Street fighter so wrong it right

bmw-1-L.jpg

bmw-2-L.jpg

I'm not certain I agree. Writers portray Quasimodo as a complex characture with elements that are interesting and appealing which make us ask questions about ourslef; yet we remain uneasy.

Is that tank mounted backward?!
OK, someone has waaaaaaaay too much money and/or time.
I can help with the money bit. Send it on!

I test rode the S1000RR last week & my thought was, if they made a Roadster or a bit less aggressive model, I'd buy it. I was thinking a street fighter, but with styling a bit more like the Speed Triple or Monster, not with chopper fringe on the seat & those awful lights! UGH...

I'd love a S1000RR Roadster, along the lines of the orginal 6-cylinder bike. Make it a bit smaller, so the 4-cylinder S1000RR engine fits nice, and IMHO you'd have a real winner!

Monday, 16 May

SBK

Haslam is already in training for Miller Motorsport Park and posted this video on twitter to prove it

MotoGP

asphaltandrubber.com: Casey Stoner fined €5,000 for punching Randy de Puniet in warm-up session

bbc.co.uk: Honda’s Casey Stoner races t French MotoGP win
reuters.com: Results and standings

fim-live.com: Stoner roars to second win

fim-live.com: “My thoughts are with Dani” – Stoner

hondaproracing.com: Stoner and Dovizioso score Honda one-two at Le Mans

ducati.com: Ducati MotoGP team on the podium with Rossi, Hayden seventh

gresiniracing.com: UNINTENTIONAL INCIDENT!
Simoncelli 5th, Aoyama 8th

rizla-suzuki-motogp.co.uk: Race long battle sees Bautista narrowly miss top nine finish
12th

teamtech3.fr: Edwards and Crutchlow battle for top six in Le Mans
Crutchlow crashes out and Edwards finishes 13th.

motogp.com: Paddock opinion of Simoncelli and Pedrosa clash

motomatters.com: Impetuosity, or how the best passes are saved until the last lap

Other Racing

The Big Triple - Glen Helen, USA
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rnFQuRvxwJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qTTI9K1eDHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

autobloggreen: Edmunds lists most, least fuel efficient sporty cars
BMW bookends the field with their MINI and BMW M5

FWIW

I follow Leon Haslams twitter posts and have used some in this thread. Back on May 10 he tweeted:

realleonhaslam: http://twitvid.com/DO2Y9 - Last week with @samlowes@alexlowes22 and JoeD, I think BMW might put a stop to this, but we were ok honest.

The link takes you to a video of Haslam having some water sport fun not unlike I have had with my daughters and grandchildren at my sister’s lake home. When posted I looked at it and did not post it; however; I thought of this tweet several times as I followed the unfolding MotoGP events at Le Mans.

MotoGP has provided some of the best racing action year in and year out. The stakes are high for riders and teams as they push for the best results. Crashes are part of the action and to be expected, perhaps, in a sport that involves excess speed in close quarters on contact patches the size of my sneakers. Arguments between riders seeking to gain any advantage they can over an opponent should not surprise. The application of rules written in a conference room may frustrate when applied on the race track. But of late MotoGP on and off the track is looking and sounding like a production by Moto-All-Star-Wrestling than racing promoted by Dorna and sanctioned by the FIM without the script and rehearsal sessions that go into the production of a episode of Saturday Night Raw.

Riders can beat each other up on and off the track and make veiled threats in press conferences and in the press. Penalties can be assessed in the form of fines drive through penalties and more. In the extreme a riders racing license could be suspended. These and other options will be debated in official and unofficial venues for the rest of the season I suspect. I think they should all talk with Haslam.

I don’t know if Haslam sees BMW as draconian or paternalistic but in the tweet I get a sense BMW has given him some sense of limits to acceptable behavior on and off the track. He is a bit Puckish at times but the relationship seems to work to establish boundaries.

Racing is a dangerous sport. A purely racing incident can have tragic results, as we saw last season in the Shoya Tomizaawa Moto2 tragedy. Dani Pedrosa’s injuries in Sundays MotoGP event may well be the result of a racing incident, but they happened in the context of sport that is on the edge of getting out of control.

Dorna and the FIM have important roles to play as promoters and governing bodies of MotoGP. Yet what ever they may choose to do will have little impact until the factories, team owners and team mangers put their heads together then go back and get control of their teams.

Haslam was having some fun with friends off the track and out of BMW garb yet he understood his actions potentially had implications because of his relationship with BMW. If a racing team owner and managers can help a rider think about boundaries for behavior and safety when they off the clock how much more impact can they have if they step up and do the same for race weekend behavior in the paddock, on the track in warm-up practice and races.

Whether it is treated as promoting safety in the work place or skeptically avoiding bad publicity for the factory brand and sponsors, with the potential exception of the severity of the injuries nothing will change until team owners and managers get control of the situation.

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey…
Before a log trip…
Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: How should you react if your face protection is struck by a bug?

MSF Tip of the Day: FINE-C Engine Cut-Off Switch - Make sure engine cut-off switch is set to the RUN position or your bike won’t start.

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

Black-Falcon-3.jpg

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQV-tLbi4iA&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQV-tLbi4iA&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Black-Falcon-7.jpg

Black-Falcon-5.jpg

Black-Falcon-4.jpg

black-falcon-6.jpg

Black-Falcon-2.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

Tuesday, 17 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: An open letter to all Max Biaggi fans and Superbike enthusiasts

worldsbk.com: Cutting the chicane at Monza: exclusive videos

Cutting the chicane at Monza
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M5JVoqaVoaY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cutting the chicane at Monza
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ubsUk2Jl4Bc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MotoGP

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lcPWhOFYVSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MotoGP Interviews post Le Mans
Casey Stoner
Andrea Dovizioso
Valentino Rossi

motogp.com: Barcelona race in doubt for Pedrosa after broken collar bone

Formula 1

bbc.co.uk: Formula 1 teams agree to abandon 2013 rules revolution

]url=http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2011/5/12034.html]formula1.com[/url]: Allison: Renault upgrades worth ten seconds over Barcelona race

Other Racing

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/saf6F__s-GI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the Street

Back Road blasting on the BMW K1600GT & GTL
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UkFBHIcZeWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Husqvarna
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e1Q0pw_4Uf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MotoUSA: 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA First Ride
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_wnNnFb_uuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eghBauWJ3tU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dealernews.com: Honda opens second motorcycle, scooter plant in India

indiancarsbikes.in: ROYAL ENFIELD TESTING A MACHISMO WITH A 500CC UCE ENGINE: ICB EXCLUSIVE!

webbikeworld.com: DIY motorcycle helmet sub blocker

The Mothership

The left turn assistant – turning left safely by looking out for oncoming traffic.

Press Release

The left turn assistant is activated automatically in the BMW 5 Series test vehicle as soon as the car’s sensors detect that it is entering the left-turn lane and the car registers the driver’s wish to turn off. Recognition of the left-turn lane takes place on two levels. The vehicle positioning function of the navigation system allows the location of the car to be fixed to within a metre at intersections. And a mono camera, comparable with standard cameras already in use, registers the turn-off lane markings and lane borders on the road. With the left turn assistant activated, three laser scanners in the front end of the car map the area up to 100 metres in front of the car. The laser scanners pick up not only cars and trucks, but also motorcycles. If the sensors detect vehicles approaching from the opposite direction but the car continues to move into the intersection, the left turn assistant activates an automatic braking input in a low speed range up to 10 km/h to prevent a collision. At the same time, a warning sound and relevant warning symbols in the instrument cluster and Head-Up Display advise the driver of the reason for the intervention. This automated action is triggered deliberately without a prior warning stage, as a rapid response is vital in this situation to prevent the car from moving into the intersection and presenting an obstacle to oncoming traffic. If the driver first had to react to a warning, the car would continue forward into the collision area and an accident would no longer be avoidable…more

BMW dispatched one legendary automobile and two celebrated designers to contest the 2011 Mille Miglia. Adrian van Hooydonk and Alfredo H?ñberli teamed up for the famous classic car rally in a BMW 328.

Press Release

Munich/Brescia. BMW selected a trio of design greats to compete in this year’s Mille Miglia. Head of BMW Group Design Adrian van Hooydonk and Swiss industrial designer Alfredo H?ñberli took part in the world’s most renowned classic car rally in a white BMW 328, which celebrates its 75th anniversary this year. One of almost 400 participating teams, the duo set out from Brescia in northern Italy on 12 May. Following staging posts in Bologna and Rome, the team cleared the finish ramp in Brescia on 15 May.
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JH64E3yfGBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

visordown.com: Crystal ball 2012 – BMW

It is fishing opener season in Fly-Over-Land. If this article were written here it would be titled – BAIT. I’m not much of a fisher but I’m a sucker for bait and they hooked me with this one.

Concept C
We are all expecting at least one Concept C scooter to be unveiled at the Milan show. My guess is the same basic scooter will appear with two engine variants and not all markets will get both.

The e version of the C1 scooter has not been talked about much. It could appear in Milan this year but my guess it will appear in 2012 as a 2013 model. India, China and the European urban market will be its target.

Wasser Boxers
This is anyone’s guess right now. A dual production run of existing boxers and a Waser Boxer may make a certain amount of sense but I wouldn’t expect it. My guess BMW will go all in when it does and that will not be next year.

S Bikes
Nothing BMW does or doesn’t do surprises me much anymore. I will be mildly surprised if a naked S 1000 R does not appear.

BMW is always cautious about canalizing existing customer base. The S 1000 RR stands alone. This has made sense for several years; however, it is time to capitalize on an expansion of that model. A naked S will expand BMW’s presence in that market segment by expanding the customer base more than it will cannibalize yielding a net gain.

Talk of an S 600 RR has been going on since the announcement of the S 1000 RR. I have been surprised they have not put one out. Visordown’s argument that market strength will determine it makes some sense. At the risk of looking like they are taking advantage of Japan while their manufacturers are dealing with the production problems resulting from the earthquake and tsunami, I would argue that now is the time to put it out if you are going to do it at all. BMW has bucked the sales trends for several years now. If they are going to beat their own numbers they need to continue to do so. A S 600 RR would do that. My guess is there are three reasons other than market strength that will determine if that purported 600cc inline four sees the light of day.

Capacity and Quality Control
The Concept C line will take a great deal of effort to pull off. It will tax production beyond just finding places to manufacture and assemble the scooters. An entire infrastructure has to be expanded or built to deal with this new line. This may leave few resources for other projects this year.

Husqvarna
Last year Husqvarna had some concepts. They have spent a great deal of time and effort realigning management and ramping up production for the big Milan show in November. The much rumored and talked about 900cc twin road bikes will hit the show and then dealers. I do not have my arms wrapped around what the plan for Husqvarna is but we better tug on our helmet chin straps because when it comes in November it will come at us full bore. A naked S 1000 R and a S 600 RR would be targeted at the same age range as Husqvarna is going after. I think the markets will be very different even when you control your analysis for age, but BMW may not want to risk undercutting the investment in Husqvarna.

MotoGP and WorldSBK
We may find out very shortly if BMW is going racing in MotoGP, sticking with SBK or both. Setting fan interests aside for a moment and thinking like an executive (is that an oxymoron?) for a moment MotoGP makes sense. The expense is big, not huge when compared to F1 or even some of the other forms of racing being done at BMW, but big. The Monday payoff is not selling a specific model in the show room rather the ability to sprinkle MotoGP technology dust across the product line up giving marketing a chance to shave 10 years or more off the image. The S line could be superfluous if this were to happen. Any variation that involves SBK needs a naked S 1000 R at a minimum and probably should have an S 600 RR in the line up also.

Bottom [fish]Line
I hope Munich listens to the various motorrad national heads, the motorcycle rags and our forum and give ups a naked S 1000 R regardless of what else they do.

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey…
Before a log trip…
Before winter…

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: Studies show that most crashes involved riders who did what?

MSF Tip of the Day:

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

AJS Porcucpinde by way of Bonhams at Quail Lodge

ajs-porcupine-01-L.jpg

Wednesday, 18 May

SBK

worldsbk.com: Castrol Honda set for test attack at Miller

MotoGP

autosport.com: Gresini defends under-fire Simoncelli

hondaproracing.com: Casey Stoner tests the 2012 Honda prototype in Jerez
Yamaha-racing.com: Yamaha celebrate 50th Anniversary of Grand Prix Racing in red and white

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BECMPLhTIGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Formula 1

bbc.co.uk: Steve ParrishÔÇÖs review of the French MotoGP

formula1.com: PirelliÔÇÖs new hard tyer to debut at Spain

reuters.com: FIA cracks down on F1 engine management systems

independent.com: Silverstone unveils ?ú27m new pit and paddock

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lYJcNy3wWGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n74uVXDIjJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Racing

autobloggreen: Brammo wins TTXGP at Infineon, sets electric lap record

ducati.com: Valentino Rossi at Silverstone with Ducati 1198

On the Street

MCN: Aprilia's new V4 superbike engine
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZpgC7gZSAoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aprilia RSV4 tested on the road
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K8zfqZL28cA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMF 2011 Teaser With Jeff Stone of the British Motorcycle Federation
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gPz7BAJ5NEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DgETd6N-lLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cyrilhuzeblog.com: Sora Electric motorcycle

motorcyclenews.com: BMW unveils ÔÇÿanti-crashÔÇÖ technology and webbikeworld.com: BMW Left turn assistant
Many sites are reacting to the press release found in yesterdayÔÇÖs post.

motocyclistonline.com: Five questions with MV Agusta CEO Giovanni Castilioni

The Mothership

Husqvarna Motorcycles 900cc 2 cylinder engine
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d5SYAllJUCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The dribble of teasers on this will continue until the November release at EICMA

BMW Motorrad @ EICMA 2010
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pf_M0gzpWs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW

trl.co.uk: Police bikers start work on road safety.

The relationship between motorcyclists and the police has been tenuous at times in the U.K. The project is an interesting constructive twist on ÔÇ£to serve and protect.ÔÇØ Could it serve as a model for motorcycle clubs and motorcyclists in general to do more with a ride report on forums and in their blogs?

BMW-Motorrad.com:
Download Manuals
Breakdown Dictionary
Tyre Options
Tips
Before every journey
Before a log trip
Before winter

Decorah Egles WebCam
Decorah Eagles

1248585279_iDbKX-O.jpg

MSF Question of the Day: If the throttle cable becomes stuck, what is the appropriate action?

MSF Tip of the Day: When passing parked cars, stay toward the left of your lane to avoid doors opening. P.23

1224188747_KnFmX-Ti.jpg

Woot of the Day

Bike Candy

ottonero.blogspot.com: Moto Morini Test Stetta

moto-morini-L.jpg

moto-morini-L.jpg

moto-morini-L.jpg

Back