Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Need some advice on best emergency tire inflators

  1. #1

    Need some advice on best emergency tire inflators

    Getting gear ready on a check list for the June multi-state trip.

    I have a foot pump and patch kit on the bike now. Is there a better system to travel with? I've seen the co2 inflators and there's reviews all over the place on them. Seen the slime inflators, are they something my two pin connected to batt could use in a "get to the nearest station" scenario while in the middle of nowhere?

    I know you guys have the experience on what's the easiest lightest packable system that WORKS. Please, opinions will all be welcomed. Or is my foot pump and plug kit already enough "in case" insurance?

    Thanks in advance

    Brownie
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    12,123
    You can check the panel below for some good info.
    Some swear by a basic "Slime" 12V pump, some the Best Rest Products 12V pump.......I have both. There is no doubt that the BRP pump is better- all the way around and it's the one I have on the ATV.....More trouble with beads and such. With the 12V pumps, they really need to go direct to the battery, perhaps through a Battery Tender Pig-tail.
    As far as a foot pump.....That would be on my better than nothing list.
    And....of course, some of this has to do with tube and tubeless tires for actual repairs.

    Once this gets going, I'll probably send this thread over to the gear section.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    You can check the panel below for some good info.
    Some swear by a basic "Slime" 12V pump, some the Best Rest Products 12V pump.......I have both. There is no doubt that the BRP pump is better- all the way around and it's the one I have on the ATV.....More trouble with beads and such. With the 12V pumps, they really need to go direct to the battery, perhaps through a Battery Tender Pig-tail.
    As far as a foot pump.....That would be on my better than nothing list.
    And....of course, some of this has to do with tube and tubeless tires for actual repairs.

    Once this gets going, I'll probably send this thread over to the gear section.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    Thanks, I looked at all the links below and bookmarked them. I see you're from Mansfield, my old stomping grounds
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  4. #4
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    12,123
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Thanks, I looked at all the links below and bookmarked them. I see you're from Mansfield, my old stomping grounds
    Cool
    Small world........still wouldn’t want to paint it though
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  5. #5

    Compact 12V Elec

    Get a compact 12v electric air pump. Lots of them on Ebay or Amazon for about $15 that have gauges and on/off switches. You might have to splice the power cord with an SAE connector (some have this already, some do not) to connect to your SAE battery charging cable ("Battery Tender") pigtail and/or buy a longer air hose extension.

    The nice thing about the motorized pumps is that you won't run out of air, can use it for your other vehicles, etc., whereas the gas cylinders are one shot items.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjohnson View Post
    Get a compact 12v electric air pump. Lots of them on Ebay or Amazon for about $15 that have gauges and on/off switches. You might have to splice the power cord with an SAE connector (some have this already, some do not) to connect to your SAE battery charging cable ("Battery Tender") pigtail and/or buy a longer air hose extension.

    The nice thing about the motorized pumps is that you won't run out of air, can use it for your other vehicles, etc., whereas the gas cylinders are one shot items.
    Thanks, I decided no on the co2's and will get the 12v electric pump after doing so reading. Still keep the foot pump as backup in the right bag. Best advice on one that comes with the sae connector already or as an option? I'm not much of a repair man/splicing.

    Thanks
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  7. #7
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    12,123
    The Battery Tenders come with a ring terminal set-up that has the very common 2-pin SAE connector on the other end-

    The two pin connector looks like half a 4- pin flat trailer connector.



    Along with being a good charge point, with the appropriate fuse, it runs the 12V inflator easily. Running the inflator off a cigaret lighter or "din" plug for any length of time usually shuts down the circuit.

    The ringed pig-tails are readily available, sometimes in a container on the parts counter at most motorsports locations.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  8. #8
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    740
    +1 on the compact pump and tubeless tire patch kit, with a fused SAE connector direct to the battery.

    Also, keep an eye on your battery when inflating the tire. It is often advisable to keep the bike running so you don't drain your battery past the point of re-starting. I've heard of folks getting very upset with themsleves after fixing a tire but not being able to go anywhere because of a dead battery.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    +1 on the compact pump and tubeless tire patch kit, with a fused SAE connector direct to the battery.

    Also, keep an eye on your battery when inflating the tire. It is often advisable to keep the bike running so you don't drain your battery past the point of re-starting. I've heard of folks getting very upset with themsleves after fixing a tire but not being able to go anywhere because of a dead battery.
    Yes sir, I had thought about that and planned on keeping the bike running. Am I correct in assuming my tires are tubeless and people talking tube tires are speaking to dirt bike/atvs or something?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  10. #10
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Yes sir, I had thought about that and planned on keeping the bike running. Am I correct in assuming my tires are tubeless and people talking tube tires are speaking to dirt bike/atvs or something?
    What is your bike?

    I know BMW has been offering cross-spoked rims on the GS since at least the 1987 R100GS IIRC. In BMW parlance "cross-spoked" refers to the spokes running from one side of the hub to the opposite side of the rim (vs the standard ones going to the center of the rim). In this configuration the spoke ends are accessible from the rim edge outside the tire. This provides many advantages including being able to run tubeless tires and to change spokes without removing the tire, etc.

    This should not be confused with the "cross lacing" of spokes referred to when lacing up a spoke wheel. That refers to how many spokes each one crosses on it's route from the hub to the rim, typically 2-3 for disc-brake wheels.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    What is your bike?

    I know BMW has been offering cross-spoked rims on the GS since at least the 1987 R100GS IIRC. In BMW parlance "cross-spoked" refers to the spokes running from one side of the hub to the opposite side of the rim (vs the standard ones going to the center of the rim). In this configuration the spoke ends are accessible from the rim edge outside the tire. This provides many advantages including being able to run tubeless tires and to change spokes without removing the tire, etc.

    This should not be confused with the "cross lacing" of spokes referred to when lacing up a spoke wheel. That refers to how many spokes each one crosses on it's route from the hub to the rim, typically 2-3 for disc-brake wheels.
    2007 k1200gt. In every other bike [ goldwings/vulcan nomad/harleys ] I was under the impression they were all tubeless tires. Was I mistaken? If my bike is tubed, I need to rethink patch kits and not being able to just get off the road with an inflator and plug kit?

    Hmmm

    On another note, I looked at the slime small air pump at O Reilly's this morning and want to know if that's a product I should consider or not for reliability. It needs an adapter from cig lighter to sae which I've found on Amazon for 7.00. Before I order that and get the pump I'd like more input from those who've used the slime small pump

    Thanks in advance, this site has been very helpful to this old man just getting back into riding and back on a BMW. Years ago I had a K100rs that was a dream to ride and swore one day I'd get back on another one. Bucket list of National Park visits in Utah, Colorado, NM coming up in June. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  12. #12
    Watch This!!! junkjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    5,068
    If you are tubeless, I would recommend a good plug kit. I like to carry the rope kind and the mushroom kind.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    If you are tubeless, I would recommend a good plug kit. I like to carry the rope kind and the mushroom kind.
    I have a good plug kit already on the bike and a foot pump, but looking to make that pump the spare/backup to an electric pump.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    +1 on the compact pump and tubeless tire patch kit, with a fused SAE connector direct to the battery.

    Also, keep an eye on your battery when inflating the tire. It is often advisable to keep the bike running so you don't drain your battery past the point of re-starting. I've heard of folks getting very upset with themsleves after fixing a tire but not being able to go anywhere because of a dead battery.
    I carry one of those lithium ion booster battery packs for this and other battery jumping applications. Better than jumper cables because I don't need a second vehicle - even though usually Voni and I are riding together. I have only used it once - to jump start my V8 equipped Ford Explorer - so expect it to do OK with my bike.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  15. #15
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    740
    Sorry the confusion Brownie, my bad, I didn't know what year your bike was and had been doing something with my old R100GS earlier so it came readily to mind.

    Most all alloy rims (mag-type) wheels since the mid-70's are tubeless. It is just spoked wheels (lace-up spokes) that usually require tubes unless they are the cross-spoked ones I referred to earlier.

    As far as pumps go. I'm not familiar with the Slime pump, but OM has one and hasn't had any issues. Like he says, the best ones (though more expensive) would be ones like the:

    CyclePump by BestRest Adventures: https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/cy...tire-inflator/

    or the

    Stop & Go: https://www.stopngo.com/mini-air-com...ers-atvs-only/
    MiniAirCompressor__18158.1410380785.500.750.jpg
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 04:50 AM
  2. Emergency tire repair.
    By jeffkyle in forum Gear
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 01:50 PM
  3. Tire inflators
    By Bubbaslye in forum Gear
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
  4. Emergency tire repair
    By dlslawRT in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
  5. Emergency tire plug kits
    By TRIPPER in forum Gear
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •