• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seat Height

F

Figaro1100R

I'm one of the short inseam guys. I have an R1100R which is fine with the seat all the way down. When I look at the specs on other models (like R1150 RS or RT) they list seat heights that are too high for me. On a few specs listed on the net they list a second set of three heights based on a lower seat option.

Is there an optional lower BMW seat that fits most RS or RT models? Or an after market vendor at a reasonable price?

With a 27" inseam on any seat height over maybe 790 mm I tend to tip over. Not good for the paint.

I have a 28" inseam and with the stock seat or a Sargent, I have no problems flat footing my R1100RT with the seat in the middle position. Such is not the case with my Corbin seat, comfortable, but wider, pushing my legs further out to the side and tip toeing the ground.

Low seat

Try a CLC. My R1200 CLC has a very low seat height and of course you can even
use Works or Wilbers shocks to lower it even more. I have a 30" inseam and easily
flatfoot it with a bend in my knee.;)

I'm one of the short inseam guys. I have an R1100R which is fine with the seat all the way down. When I look at the specs on other models (like R1150 RS or RT) they list seat heights that are too high for me. On a few specs listed on the net they list a second set of three heights based on a lower seat option.

Is there an optional lower BMW seat that fits most RS or RT models? Or an after market vendor at a reasonable price?

With a 27" inseam on any seat height over maybe 790 mm I tend to tip over. Not good for the paint.

Don't know if you are looking for a new bike or not, but I sat on the new factory lowered R-1200-GS and found it to sit lower than my RT with the seat all the way down. I believe the make several new factory lowered bikes, R K and G's. Good luck

I contacted a dealer for information yesterday. The factory lowered option (available on a variety of models) consists of both suspension and a thinner seat. They don't order many short ones but they can be special ordered.

All the RT's I've tried on have been too tall and I was wondering if a used one could be modified to the lower configuration. The dealer said the simpler/cheaper solution is to acquire a custom seat.

Lower Seat, Lower Suspension

I"m 5'6'' with a 29 inseam and I could never ride any of the more traditional sport touring bikes that BMW makes. I had an R1200C for 8 years and was able to sit on that flat footed, and then not quite flat footed when I added the optional driver's comfort seat. I toured on this bike, but always wanted an RT because it was designed for that purpose. All of the RTs I tried were too tall and I was on my tip toes and I knew I wouldn't be able to manage at that height. This summer I bought a 2009 BMW R1200RT with the lowered suspension and lowered seat and it works quite well. I'm not flat footed, but I've got enough of my feet on the ground to feel as though I can control the bike. The seat on the lowered RT is thinner and that is a bit of a drag as it is not very comfortable on longer rides. I have used an Alaskan Sheepskin Butt Pad with it and it helps a little, but ultimately I'd like to replace this seat with a custom seat. Other than that, the lowered suspension, lowered seat RT is great, I love mine. Don

I am a bit less than 5'6''. My inseam is about 27 inches. I bought a lowered '09 12RT. I am not quite flat footed, but pretty stable. I had a Honda 1300 ST before the BMW and in the lowered position it was about the same height. However, the BMW weighs so much less, I feel much more stable. One of the problems is that the lower seat on the lower suspension model is quite thin and most of the afte market replacement seats are not interchangeable. The lower suspension lower seat is a single seat model. I am still working on what to do about a replacement seat.

custom seat idea

I ride a used 1100RT with a Bill Mayer (BMS) saddle, very comfortable, but a bit too tall for me. (5'7", 29 inseam), even with the seat at its lowest. I sent the saddle back to Mayer with my measurements and desires to dish it, narrow it, etc. Now I can easily flat foot one side and ball on the other at min baggage weight. The refit saddle makes all the difference; BMS is an excellent company to work with. Usual caveats - no connection at all to the company, etc.
I usually wear a square toe high leather cowboy style boot with a good heel. Check your footwear soles/heels as well. good riding.

shocks and a seat

Susan rode an 04RT for several years with shortened shocks (wilbers) and a custom seat. At 5"2", she needed it. She is looking at a few new bikes (going for less weight) and has the shocks and seat for sale if you are interested. I have a 30 inch inseam, and her bike with my seat had me flat footed and slightly bent knees. I am 5'8".
I have my RT lowered about 3/4" and it is just enough to feel Very confident when creeping towards the tollboth/bridge into Canada (as much as a several mile creep some days - uphill). Some folks will tell you that you just have to get over not being able to touch, but I really drove Susan's to the dealer and back a few times, and the lowered bike was nice enough for me to go ahead and order the new shocks for my 02.
Hope it helps.

Back