Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Another RS Project

habdala

Another RS Project

One thing let to another and now the inedible. I purchase a 79 R100RS three weeks ago with 65k miles from the original owner, bike look good to clean and ride but after further inspection the timing chain needed replacing, valves adjusting and the list keeps on going. It was a deal could not refuse since I got a good deal on two bikes. The bike has original everything, from tools, owners manual, Tyre pump, and bike lock in the frame, bike was built for the European market and imported into the US in 92

I replaced timing chain and sprockets, adjusted valves, rebuilt carburetors and now I'm working on the breaks. The master cylinder located under the tank is leaking and I see rust under that area.

I decided that since I have tore down half the bike I might as well keep on going and check clutch, spline and replace a few gaskets here and there, the battery tray is also rusted and needs attention the rear brakes works fine but I will go over and freshen the pads and fluid. I guess for a 30 year old bike a few things need to be checked and fixed before I can ride it.

This is where I'm right now.

Last edited by habdala; 10-28-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Rally Rat
    Great bike. You're doing the right thing. Bring it up to date maintenance wise and you'll be able to ride it pretty much worry free. Those white saddle bags really should be on a "Motosport" model. I'll bet someone here will be willing to trade you a set of black ones for them.

Ride Safe
    MB

JAMESDUNN
    Nice bike. Keep us posted on your progress.

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb921 View Post
    Great bike. You're doing the right thing. Bring it up to date maintenance wise and you'll be able to ride it pretty much worry free. Those white saddle bags really should be on a "Motosport" model. I'll bet someone here will be willing to trade you a set of black ones for them.

Ride Safe
    MB
    Bags are in great shape and yes, I want to trade or find a used set in black.

Thank you,

H.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by habdala View Post
    What are those two gauge-looking dials below the right side cover, just in front of the Krauser?
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnapolisAirhead View Post
    What are those two gauge-looking dials below the right side cover, just in front of the Krauser?

They look like European inspection discs, but what the hell do I know.

Ride Safe
    MB

tricyclerob
    Habdala,
    I have a real nice set of black bags I would trade for the white ones if you would like to ping me off list. thanks, rj

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnapolisAirhead View Post
    Looks like a work or union decals.

After removing the oil filter I found this

Gasket was not seated properly. Don't know how it did not leak more oil

habdala

Day 3

I removed mufflers and rear tire, is there a better way to remove the tire? it was a pain.

Mufflers removed

Tire removed

So far so good, gears in the rear looking good the only bad is the rear rotor, I will have to replace since has groves.

Here is some good break fluid.

I should have taken pictures of the front fluid, it looked like chocolate milk.

White Krausers

I have a couple of sets of Krausers that I would be interested in trading for the White ones. Those look like real early ones as there is no indentition for the BMW logo. Where are you from? Mine are in MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by monsond View Post
    I have a couple of sets of Krausers that I would be interested in trading for the White ones. Those look like real early ones as there is no indentition for the BMW logo. Where are you from? Mine are in MI.
    My bags will look good on your bike but the bags might be spoken for but not sure I'm in Northern VA.

This is turning into an interesting project, one I've been looking for on an RS, so I'll just live vicariously through your work (and wallet, hehe).

If the oil filter wasn't sealed properly, its probably worth sliding the cylinders back to look at the cam followers (lifters) and take a looksy at the crank. There is something called the $2000 o-ring that, if you are new to airheads you should definitely read. It applies to oil cooled and non-oil cooled bikes. Suffice it to say that there is a lot of pressure going through the oil circuit and an incorrect o-ring installation can ruin an engine--hopefully not in your case. Keep the old filter and cut it open for inspection. Here are a couple links (gobs of information on this):

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=119895
    http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Oil.htm
    http://www.airheads.org/content/view/189/49/

If you need a hand synching carbs, PM me, I am in Northern Va frequently and happy to help.
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Quote Originally Posted by monsond View Post
    Nice bike! His white Krausers are early, they are the bayonet/receiver style, so your pannier mounts would need the metal tang on the aft end. I think those are available on fleabay from time to time.

JAMESDUNN
    Annapolis is right about the 2,000 dollar O ring. It is worth checking out but if it sounds good and your oil light does not stay on you're probably fine. It seems your bike has some defered maintenance issues. In reviewing your photos it is apparent you need new seals for the pushrods. You probably already knew that.