• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rentals in Europe

jonmill

Who knows about good bike rental values in Europe? A friend and I plan to do a couple of weeks next summer, predominantly in the Alps (Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France). We don't want to go with an organized tour, preferring to make our own way and avoid the fancy meals and four-star hotels featured by companies like Edelweiss. Beach wants close to $1200 per week for an R12RT. Are there other companies that offer better prices?

I was rented last year from a dealership just outside of Zurich. www.bmw-mueller-jussel.ch For eight days I spent just under US$1,600. That covered everything except fuel - unlimited mileage, insurance, etc. They did a great job and I would rent from them again. They even had an after hours drop for the bike, which I used. From the research I've done, US$1,200 for seven days seems reasonable if this includes all the bells and whistles with unlimited mileage.

Enjoy your trip, and make sure you give yourself enough days in the Italian Alps (Dolomites). That region by far was the most enjoyable.

I believe that somebody once posted that if you are going for 3 weeks or more, it's cheaper to ship your bike from the States.

That was true in 2002, when I did it; whether it's true now will depend on the current costs.

You may also wish to consider that it's familar and perhaps desirable to ride one's own machine, set up as you want, as compared to a rental. OTOH, executing the transport can be difficult: it was in my case, because I wanted the bike to end up in Paris, and the only place I could get it on a plane to Paris was from Montreal. Therefore, the bike went cross-country by truck, over the border to Canada, to Montreal, and then (without me being present) was given to the air shippers. The border crossings and the air/truck transfer on the way back were problematic, 'tho ultimately accomplished on time and without damage.

I believe that somebody once posted that if you are going for 3 weeks or more, it's cheaper to ship your bike from the States.

At the $1200 per week that someone posted above, it certainly might be. Based on 3 weeks, $3600 can get you a lot of shipping.

But if it works out to being near the break even point, you might want to rent.

Personally, I prefer using my own motorcycle for more reasons than the cost savings and familiarity with it.

If you fly into Frankfurt. BMW Motorrad Zentrum Kaiserslautern about an hour away from the airport has rentals. There are shuttles from the airport to Kaiserslautern that run about 40 Euro per person. The staff speaks excellent English.

The Motorrad has an english web-site www.bmwmotorcycles.de it has a link on the top for rentals

They are the only dealer in the BMW Motorrad Military sales program that is a true dealership. There is another military sales dealer in Stuttgart, but bikes are second to car sales.

Kaiserslautern is about a 5 hour drive from Munich. It is a really good starting point that is on the French Border. It is really central.

If you have any questions please give me a yell.

Scott

Back