• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Original R75/5 tool kit contents?

B

bluesguitar

I have a nice 1973 R75/5 that lost its toolkit somewhere along its life...I know I can buy a brand new one or put one together with the tools I'd need to work on it, but I like the idea of tracking one down that would have come with it when it was new. It doesn't have to be in perfect condition.

(First off, if anyone has one to sell, please let me know).

If you own one and/or know what was included when it was new, I'd like to get that information. I know the originals were in the gray plastic roll with the red trim around the edges.

Were all the tools HEYCO branded? There is a used kit for sale now but the wrenches are DIN brand and I'm wondering if those are original or replacements. They do look original based on photos I've seen of the kits, but I can't make out the manufacturing info on the photos.

Last but not least, what's a fair price for a complete kit in decent condition?

Thanks,

Mitch G.

Thanks-- yes I ran into that same site and that photograph and it's helpful in evaluating the kits that come up on Ebay. I followed one that sold for about $170 and one that looked complete for $120 and another most recently $109. I'm looking at one now that's missing a couple pieces for $100. Not sure it's worth it but it's fun to think of the bike reunited with the stuff that was with it when new.

Mitch

Plus a red-handled reversable screwdriver.

If you would like, I can check and photograph SWMBO's toaster tool kit tonight. She's the second onwer, and has had the bike since, I believe, 1979 (she bought it before we met, so I know it was no later than 1980), so I have good reason to believe the kit is quite original/complete.

Best,
Mark

Note that the light-colored cloth with the red edges is not a "grease rag" but a Kneeling Cloth to help keep your riding pants cleaner while kneeling down to work on your airhead. I assume you would wipe your greasy hands on your lederhosen, but no one ever explained that procedure to me.

I know I have a few Heyco tools in my tool boxes. If you get stuck finding any individual tools, send me a pm. I'll also check to see if I happen to have an original tool roll (even if tattered)

pmdave

It's kind of funny looking at what's for sale advertised as "complete original kits." Imagine keeping anything like that together for 35 years? I have to believe almost all these have a replaced part here or there, so even if "correct" didn't start with that particular kit.

I'm looking at one now that's missingthe 7/8 Heyco open wrench, the 6mm Allen (not sure if those were branded) and the feeler guages.

Mitch

Imagine keeping anything like that together for 35 years?

The guy I just bought out 1971 R75/5 was the original owner and also used to own a BMW dealership in CA way back when. The tool kit with the bike is about 90% complete and original and he may even have the 'rest of the tools, somewhere in the garage'. I can't even keep the 4 piece tool kit on my Honda Rebel together......Its somewhere in a drawer and the only part of it I carry is the shock tool.....

I'm looking at one now that's missingthe 7/8 Heyco open wrench, the 6mm Allen (not sure if those were branded) and the feeler guages.

I don't really think its a stretch for these bikes to have the original toolkits. BMW bikes have never been bargain basement and most people who could afford them new, kept them well. With the Airheads, its just a simple matter of rolling it up and dropping it in the tool tray under the seat. I think where things go missing is when people use the toolkits in the garage rather than bench tools.

Anyway, the feeler gauges are still available cheap. I probably have an extra Heyco 7mm/8mm if you are trying to complete a set. PM me if you are interested. I think MaxBMW has them listed for about $6-7 bucks (p/n 71111237841) is what you mean, I think.

Thanks for the input. That particular set sold so I'm looking again. Seems like they're out there as long as you're ready to part with at least $100--now that I know what's a "complete" set I can bid or offer with a little more confidence.

Mitch

Here's what was in mine when I got it in the '80's. Many kits seem to be missing the slender "adjusting rod", old #71 11 1 230 000. I'm not sure about the red screwdriver, I don't see it in my parts book.

Cheers

Attachments

• slash 5 toolkit.jpg
    slash 5 toolkit.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 168
That's really nice and agree it looks complete. Who knows about the red screwdriver...

I'd love to get my hands on a kit for my 73 but just can't seem to find one. Stuff on Ebay ridiculously expensive, incomplete, or both.

There's a /6 kit there now I'm watching though.

Mitch

Hi Mitch, let me rummage through the pile for a few days; I'll see what I have.

Cheers, Gunther

Great thanks!

If you ever lose your love for the one you've got pictured, I've got a great home waiting for it under the seat of my 73 R75/5 Toaster!
Mitch

I'm not sure about the red screwdriver, I don't see it in my parts book.

I don't know about the '80s, but my '78 /7 tool kit has the red handled screwdriver...it converts from flat blade to phillips by pulling out the shaft and reversing directions.

The red screw driver is an original part. My 73 kit is complete and contains. They were a part of early VW and BMW car tool kits as well.

There is a used kit for sale now but the wrenches are DIN brand and I'm wondering if those are original or replacements.

DIN is not a brand, it stands for Deutsches Institut f??r Normung (German Institute for Standardization), kind of like SAE in the USA.

Question for skiteach-- is your 73 kit like the earlier /5 kits or like a /6 kit?

I think those silver air pumps are becoming a bit harder to find. They appear in parts lists, but if you go to buy one, not readily available, unless you like black. Nice kit.

Vech shows the silver one for sale on his website:

71 11 1 230 394--tire pump /5 silver all metal

Back