• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Surgery question

12BSWAYED

I have been told I need surgery on my right forearm. Seems I have some nerve damage and they need to go in and decompress the nerve....Has anyone else done this type of surgery and if so what was your result??

The surgery recommendation has been made after battlling tennis elbow for the last three years. PT, massage and accupuncture have helped but the condition still remains and has gotten worse....

Thanks for your responses...

My younger brother had the surgery over a year ago and he is pain free. He's very happy with the results. I have the same problem, but am pushing off surgery for a little while longer..

This may not apply to your 3 year problem, but I too have had it in both arms, especially after activities such as wrestling mucho firewood in the past.
Once, I was wearing the straps on both arms while in my T-shirt, while in the NG in the late 80's(my age then was in mid/late 40's) doing something Army related, and this old guy(fellow soldier,maybe in mid 50's) says, "it will go away after time". Well, I have periodically had to wear them over the years , on one or both sides, but honestly , I would have to hunt for the straps as it has been that long since they were last worn. I feel it coming on sometimes but never enough to need the straps, probably for over 15 years.

I had this surgery in the early 80s to releive cronic tennis elbow in my right arm (my dominant side). After about a month I was able to resume all but the most strenuous activity. For a period of time I knew when I was overextending by a tingle of pain, after that, full recovery.

Knowing now how this worked, I would never again endure the injections, acupuncture, therapy, wraps, bands, etc., that I endured for 2 years. I would go immediately to a good surgeon.

Tom and Ladybmer
Thanks for your responses. I was becoming quite sad and afraid I would have to stop riding because of this and not to mention possible job loss.

Kid,
I've had the tennis elbow/golfers elbow thing going on and off for about 6 years....I can't wear the strap at work, but it does help...

Best of luck, 12bswayed. Now is the best time of year to deal with it. Plenty of healing time before riding season again.

I wore the bands on and off for many years. As stated , I now would have to look hard to find them and other than the getting old thing, I still do the same activities-no surgery, just time moving on! It went away over 10 years ago...

Back