Thread: Starter Button Broke Off

Rally Rat

Starter Button Broke Off

I guess you can't complain when a plastic part breaks after 25 years of use. After noticing that the button was missing, I turned the key to see if I could still start the bike. I turned the key and the bike started ... without hitting the starter. It has been 70 degrees this week (in October ?!) so I did a couple of long rides. With one exception, the bike needed the starter pushed to turn over.

Here is the question. If the starter is stuck in the depressed position, is the starter spinning away as I am riding? Will I have a burned out starter if I ride it while waiting for the part to come in?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoridog View Post
    I guess you can't complain when a plastic part breaks after 25 years of use. After noticing that the button was missing, I turned the key to see if I could still start the bike. I turned the key and the bike started ... without hitting the starter. It has been 70 degrees this week (in October ?!) so I did a couple of long rides. With one exception, the bike needed the starter pushed to turn over.

Here is the question. If the starter is stuck in the depressed position, is the starter spinning away as I am riding? Will I have a burned out starter if I ride it while waiting for the part to come in?

Thanks
    If the switch is stuck on - yes!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul,

Actually on a K bike - there is a starter inhibit circuit that won't let the starter turn once the engine starts. If you remember the Lentini CO adjustment - where you used the starter button to enrichen the mixture momentarily with the engine running.

Somehow BMW lost their way with the oilheads and didn't include that feature - but they managed to remember it for the hexheads..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Paul,

Actually on a K bike - there is a starter inhibit circuit that won't let the starter turn once the engine starts. If you remember the Lentini CO adjustment - where you used the starter button to enrichen the mixture momentarily with the engine running.

Somehow BMW lost their way with the oilheads and didn't include that feature - but they managed to remember it for the hexheads..
    Yes, I do (now) remember that. I hate it when I screw up like that.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I know if you push the start button with the engine running it won't operate the starter motor, but if the button is never released, will the starter actually stop running?
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

K-Trivia

The starter interupt circuit is in the relay ground that goes through the ignition black box. I have an 85 that would start to crank and then stop cranking before it started. It sounded almost like a old ford kicking it's out its bendix. The diagnosis was to find the ground on the relay and directly ground it and the problem went away. and of course the starter interupt went away as well. I then replaced the black box with a known good black box and have had no further problems.

I mention it because it was trivia to me untill I bought the bike because it was frustrating the PO. Then it took months to connect the trivia to the problem.
    Harold In Rapid City, SD
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

Rally Rat
    Thanks, now I can go to the 3 club rumble tomorrow!