Thread: timing Chain Question

habdala

timing Chain Question

Doing timing chain here is the question:

Replace crankshaft sprocket or not?

And do original chains have a link?

Thank you!

WOW, that is CLEAN! How did you get everything so thoroughly degunked?

I'm no expert, but to my eye, that sprocket does look quite worn. Conventional wisdom says that if you replace one component in a chain system, you should replace them all. So, you should replace the crank sprocket, cam sprocket, and timing chain all at once.

Older style chains did not have a link, so you have a choice of pulling both sprockets and the chain all at once, or just cutting the chain. You can buy endless chains, or chains with the master link.

Call Hucky for advice and parts.... this is the link to his front page, just find the group with your bike, and look up section 11.

Looks like you have simplex (later) chain.... you will see pics on his website. I personally find the pictures a big help...

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeckham136133 View Post
    Older style chains did not have a link, so you have a choice of pulling both sprockets and the chain all at once, or just cutting the chain. You can buy endless chains, or chains with the master link.

Call Hucky for advice and parts.... this is the link to his front page, just find the group with your bike, and look up section 11.

Looks like you have simplex (later) chain.... you will see pics on his website. I personally find the pictures a big help...

Well in that picture is a new chain but the old one had a link, the PO (only owner) told me he never replaced the timing chain and I don't know if the original chain comes with a link.

I don't see the link for Hucky

Bike is a 79 R100RS

thank you!

The single row chains used from '70-'95 have a master link. Removing the crank sprocket is dificult; it takes a puller and comes off hard. Replacing it requires heating the sprocket and/or pressing it on.

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    The single row chains used from '70-'95 have a master link. Removing the crank sprocket is dificult; it takes a puller and comes off hard. Replacing it requires heating the sprocket and/or pressing it on.
    Is it a special puller?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by habdala View Post
    I don't see the link for Hucky
    http://www.bmwhucky.com/
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    ty

There is a special BMW tool for this job (probably NLA from BMW), but I use a Snap-On 3-jaw puller. If you don't use the BMW tool, put a short 8mm socket-head screw in the end of the crankshaft to prevent damage to it.

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    There is a special BMW tool for this job (probably NLA from BMW), but I use a Snap-On 3-jaw puller. If you don't use the BMW tool, put a short 8mm socket-head screw in the end of the crankshaft to prevent damage to it.
    I did used the 3-jaw puller and a copper penny to protect the end of the crankshaft, it was a pain but worked fine, now I'm having an electrical problem on another tread.

Thank you!

habdala
    Quote Originally Posted by geisterfahrer View Post
    WOW, that is CLEAN! How did you get everything so thoroughly degunked?

That is how it was when I removed the timing cover.

I'm no expert, but to my eye, that sprocket does look quite worn. Conventional wisdom says that if you replace one component in a chain system, you should replace them all. So, you should replace the crank sprocket, cam sprocket, and timing chain all at once.

Replaced chain sprocket and moving on to bigger things now.