• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

timing Chain Question

H

habdala

Doing timing chain here is the question:

Replace crankshaft sprocket or not?

IMG_3601.JPG

And do original chains have a link?

Thank you!

WOW, that is CLEAN! How did you get everything so thoroughly degunked? :clap

I'm no expert, but to my eye, that sprocket does look quite worn. Conventional wisdom says that if you replace one component in a chain system, you should replace them all. So, you should replace the crank sprocket, cam sprocket, and timing chain all at once.

Older style chains did not have a link, so you have a choice of pulling both sprockets and the chain all at once, or just cutting the chain. You can buy endless chains, or chains with the master link.

Call Hucky for advice and parts.... this is the link to his front page, just find the group with your bike, and look up section 11.

Looks like you have simplex (later) chain.... you will see pics on his website. I personally find the pictures a big help...:wave

:)

Older style chains did not have a link, so you have a choice of pulling both sprockets and the chain all at once, or just cutting the chain. You can buy endless chains, or chains with the master link.

Call Hucky for advice and parts.... this is the link to his front page, just find the group with your bike, and look up section 11.

Looks like you have simplex (later) chain.... you will see pics on his website. I personally find the pictures a big help...:wave

:)

Well in that picture is a new chain but the old one had a link, the PO (only owner) told me he never replaced the timing chain and I don't know if the original chain comes with a link.

I don't see the link for Hucky

Bike is a 79 R100RS

thank you!

The single row chains used from '70-'95 have a master link. Removing the crank sprocket is dificult; it takes a puller and comes off hard. Replacing it requires heating the sprocket and/or pressing it on.

The single row chains used from '70-'95 have a master link. Removing the crank sprocket is dificult; it takes a puller and comes off hard. Replacing it requires heating the sprocket and/or pressing it on.

Is it a special puller?

Thank you!

There is a special BMW tool for this job (probably NLA from BMW), but I use a Snap-On 3-jaw puller. If you don't use the BMW tool, put a short 8mm socket-head screw in the end of the crankshaft to prevent damage to it.

There is a special BMW tool for this job (probably NLA from BMW), but I use a Snap-On 3-jaw puller. If you don't use the BMW tool, put a short 8mm socket-head screw in the end of the crankshaft to prevent damage to it.

I did used the 3-jaw puller and a copper penny to protect the end of the crankshaft, it was a pain but worked fine, now I'm having an electrical problem on another tread.

Thank you!

WOW, that is CLEAN! How did you get everything so thoroughly degunked? :clap

That is how it was when I removed the timing cover.

I'm no expert, but to my eye, that sprocket does look quite worn. Conventional wisdom says that if you replace one component in a chain system, you should replace them all. So, you should replace the crank sprocket, cam sprocket, and timing chain all at once.

Replaced chain sprocket and moving on to bigger things now.

Back