• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pop-up camper trailers @ U of C

RevWillie

On the Blue Roads
Hi Mike,

I was noticing the questions about not parking on the grass at the U of C site. Not putting the bikes on the grass is understandable from the school's viewpoint, and could be risky if the ground is not completely dry. However, it does present a problem if someone arrives with a pop-up trailer (like me), and is not allowed to put it up out in the grass. Putting it up in the parking lot could result in a toasty tent and a well-done rallygoer. Do you have any thoughts/comments/recommendations/negotiations about this possible problem? There shouldn't be enough trailer tents at the Rally to cause a problem for U of C, so hopefully, they won't mind letting us put them out on that lovely grass by the river. We'll just have to keep a eye on our bikes in the parking lot--who wants to mess with a dirty, old BMW? (...that logic works for me in urban areas)

Thanx for the prompt reply on all those questions that you have been asked about in this webpage. Keep on keeping on! :thumb

bike trailer camping at U of C

Sorry Rev Willie, but the U of C will indeed have a problem with a pop up bike trailer on the Riverbank lawn camping area. I would suggest either setting up the pop up on pavement under a tree, and there will be plenty of areas like that, or setting it up at one of the other two sites where it will be possible to have your bike adjacent to your tent. Depending on when you get there and how tenacious the campus police will be, you may be able to set the pop up on grass directly adjacent to the paved parking lots, but I certainly wouldn't count on or expect to be set up on the Riverbank lawn.

camper trailers at U of C

Thanks for the info, Mike.

I plan on arriving somewhat early on Wednesday. I think that arriving early to the Rally will head-off some of the problems. I do want to stay at U of C campus if possible since the beer tent and evening activites will be there. Don't need to be driving at night, and I'm still not sure about late-night shuttle buses.

Micheal, if you can somehow convey to the authorities to "be cool" and not get so worked-up about an invasion of motorcyclists when they arrive. We do not need the campus cops or the Charleston PD getting bent-out-of-shape in encounters with participants about campsites, parking, and other rules. We need to let the authorities know that the BMW folks will be no problem but that they do not need constant monitoring. Both sides will need to stay flexible.

Usually, the local cops have a wonderful time when they have to watch over the Rally. Of course, we are usually in a contained enviroment, and not spread over several miles and sites. We will need rules but in this situation, they will not need to be iron-clad rules. Flexibility and co--operation from both sides will keep the arguements to a minimum

Pop ups at U of C

The police in Charleston, both the campus police and the city police are very cool with us being in their city.

The city police have been extremely helpful in setting up traffic routing to insure our safety getting in and out of our rally venues. They will also be staffing some of our security details with off duty personnel. The department has a motorcycle unit. Those guys are looking forward to the opportunity to test ride a BMW authority bike.

The campus police are also closely working with the MOA to ensure a smooth traffic flow and optimum safety for everyone on campus. The U of C will most likely be a very crowded place. The requests from the campus police have been very reasonable.

I hope all the MOA people can also be reasonable in complying with their minimal requests. Not parking on the lawns and no trailers on the front lawn is a reasonable request. Please do us all a favor and don't start off the event on Wednesday by trying to bend the few rules. They all like us now, let's try not to put a bad taste in their mouths right from the start. Getting there early doesn't mean you can do whatever you want to do.

Pop-ups at U of C

This is what I don't understand, tents will do just as much damage over 4 days to the lovely grass as a pop-up trailer, if not more, since Tents sometimes have larger foot prints then the trailer models, and if they are moving them by hand the tires will not damage the lawn. I don't think it was the police pushing the issue, this was handed down by the School administration and the police must enforce it. I agree that we shouldn't give them a hard time about it and try not to bend the rules. Hopefully there is enough shade for all the folks with Pop-ups. Not exactly great news for those us that are traveling with friends or family with a pop-ups to try and stay together at the U of C.

All in all, I am looking forward to the MOA Rally in July should be a lot of fun. This will be my first large Rally.

Enough Instigating this morning, Enjoy the ride whereever that may be!

Re: Police in WV

I would not expect ANY problem with Law Enforcement in WV for the rally. Living about 30 miles from WV, I can tell you that the state is currently trying to get motorcyclist/bikers/whatever label you prefer to come to WV and visit.:bliss Because of this, most LEO's are receptive of motorcycles as long as you are with in some margin of reason. They don't want visitors being massive jerks around either.

I have passed several bikes going the opposite direction waving back at me in the normal "hi" manner as most motorcyclists do (I usually initiate the wave). When we stop I am informed the polite waving motorcyclist was a LEO(I don't seem to notice the lights or marking on the tank, it just looks like any other Harley to me). This has happened several times when I was "exceeding" - if you know what I mean, but not riding like a jerk. They never turned around to give me a "Good Rider" award.:clap

(gararnett knocks on skull)

Back