• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F850 ST tool kit?

hcmiller52

Does a tool kit come with this bike? Dealer told my buddy no, but there is a strap thing to hold one under the seat. I've never heard of a bike not coming with at least some minimal toolkit.

TIA,
Curt

The only tool is a screwdriver for the fairing screws, under the seat. The rubber strap is to hold the plastic bag with the owner's manual.

The only tool is a screwdriver for the fairing screws, under the seat. The rubber strap is to hold the plastic bag with the owner's manual.
Well, since we were trying to remove the fairing to get at the battery, that's the only toll we needed...and it wasn't there. I'm getting used to buying BMWs with no tools supplied with the bike and this was no exception.

BMW motorcycles are legendary for innovation, and their choice of fasteners are no exception. Female Torx fasteners are commonplace, and some models even use rare male Torx bolt heads. Add special wrench and hex key needs, and it becomes clear that a unique tool kit is called for. We've exceeded these needs with the new RoadTech B1 for BMWs, which packs top grade tools and other roadside items into a sturdy roll-up pouch.

4680c477.jpg

Try Cruz Tools. Click Here

The answer depends on what you feel capable of doing roadside. For the most part, carry some basic supplies such as zip ties, duct tape, spare bulbs and such. Then carry whatever tools you might need to do simple repairs like bulb replacements, adjustments, etc. Carry a tire repair kit and some means to re-inflate tires so you don't get stranded by a puncture. Best way to figure out the tool list is to do some of those chores at home, then compile a list of what you used to do it. This will also help you become familiar with your machine.

Beyond the minor stuff, you're probably going to either have to limp it in to somewhere or call for help. While most modern motorcycles do not lend themselves to roadside overhauls very favourably, they are typically pretty reliable if properly maintained and will seldom require roadside service anyway.

there's a good thread on necessary tool for the F8GS in advrider in the Beasts section. Probably not identical needs, but many correspond.
there is a guy on ebay selling a tool kit that works well for the GS that includes 3 swivel head ratchet wrenches, T bits, E bits and regular metric hex bits. here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOOL...rcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9b8aa94f (hot deal at this point, but not likely to stay there.) if you go for it, don't get sucked into paying big $. I got mine for under $3 (plus s/h), but i've seen some pay as much as $30 for the same thing! be patient.

Last edited:
Adventure Designs

These tools are for the 650 and 800GS but I found they fit fine under the seat of my 800ST. They are in two bags. The fatter shorter bag is shown in the middle of the picture. The longer thinner bag is stuffed along the right hand side. This is a pic of how they store.

Attachments

• Both Tools.jpg
    Both Tools.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 65
Back