• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Battery Replacement

J

JIMK23

My 2006 R1200RT original battery has one dead cell and won't crank the bike. Being Monday, all BMW Motorcycle shops are closed. What should I expect to pay for a new battery? I recall reading on the forums that if your bike is under warrenty, you have to have a BMW replacement battery or they will not honor your factory warrenty. Is this correct or not?
Thanks.

I'll have to wait and call them tomorrow. Maybe it is or at least pro-rated.
Thanks for the query.

My BMW dealer said the factory battery does not matter as far as the warrenty is concerned. So, he sold me an Odyssey PC680 that was $50 less and he said it was a better battery than the factory one. It also has a 3 year warrenty. The factory battery is good for only a year.

If your bike is still under waranty then you need to use only BMW parts, including the battery.:nono

Not exactly. Parts used must meet BMW specifications, but if the manufacturer requires, as a condition of the warranty, that you to use only their specific parts then they must furnish those parts free of charge. Federal law - Magnusson-Moss.

BUT: first it is difficult to determine whether an aftermarket part meets BMW specs. Second, for most mechanical parts there really aren't aftermarket parts out there anyway. Starters from Valeo and some Bosch parts are an exception to this comment.

Battery. I can't see a warranty issue arising from a battery which fit properly, had essentially the same or similar amp-hour capacity, and of course was a 12 volt battery.

If your bike is still under waranty then you need to use only BMW parts, including the battery.:nono
Mo - where did you hear this?

You have to use parts that meet the specifications BMW has for their parts - but if you had to use BMW parts only - then BMW would have to provide the parts for you at no cost (Magnusson-Moss Act).

Sounds like someone is passing about bad info.. I do use BMW parts - materials - while under warranty - but that's just to prove to BMW that (1) I did the service (2) The parts I used meet their specifications.

Isn't the battery still under warranty?
The bike has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (from "IN-Service Date").. the battery is covered by a seperate 2 year (no mileage limit) warranty. Replacement parts purchased from BMW are normally covered by a 2 year no mileage limit warranty - and AFAIK - that includes a replacement battery.

I believe the RT uses the same battery as the R12R. The usual one used is the PC-535 which is I believe closest in size to the factory battery. To fit an Odessey PC-535 into the R12R requires a small modification of the battery (cutting some ribs away) and modification (flattening out some bends) of the mounting bracket on the bike.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc535.htm

Have to measure my factory battery next time I have my seat off..

Back