• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Women Authors: Books on Motorcycling

iRene

Stronger, Faster, Tougher
Here are a few reads on my shelves:

Hear Me Roar by Ann Ferrar
This is a nice synopsis of the history and current state of women in
motorcycling.
http://www.amazon.com/Hear-Me-Roar-Motorcycles-Rapture/dp/1884313248

Dee Tours by Dee Gagnon
Dee quit her job and spent a summer solo on the road. A very readable
personal story. She published it herself, and it may be hard to find.
http://www.amazon.com/DeeTours-Dee-Gagnon/dp/0970212208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255911964&sr=1-1

The Perfect Vehicle by Melissa Holbrook Pierson
One woman's story about her life with her motorcycle. She is a very
competent writer (and rider.)
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Vehicle-What-about-Motorcycles/dp/0393318095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255912202&sr=1-1

Have you got any books you'd recommend?

P.S. Unfortunately, I lent out two of these books, and if YOU HAVE THEM,
PLEASE RETURN THEM ALREADY! :stick

I just ordered "The Perfect Vehicle" last night along with American Borders by Carla King. (I'll give a review after I read it.)

I'm the co-author of ''Le Quebec ?á moto''...but my publisher decided not to print it in english....

I will give you any advice you could ask for if you ever plan to spend some time in our part of eastern Canada.

ciao! :wave

Odile.

Welcome, Odile! It's great to see you here.

What have you been up to?

Voni
sMiling

Hi Voni!

I don't have the chance to be retired from the working world like you are so ..I have to work a lot during summertime but I've found the time to ride a few thousand miles per season you know.

I could'nt make it to the BM rally this summer + the Women Conference in Colorado.

I hope we'll see each other next year. You take care and say hello to Mr. Paul.

:) Odile

I read Hear Me Roar last summer. GREAT history of women riders and the impact women in general have had on motorcycling. While I'm not sure how much has changed the book is a bit dated but well worth the read.

I'm the co-author of ''Le Quebec ?á moto''...but my publisher decided not to print it in english....

I will give you any advice you could ask for if you ever plan to spend some time in our part of eastern Canada.

ciao! :wave

Odile.

I read somewhere that the state and province with the highest per capita number of licensed
motorcyclists are New Hampshire and Quebec.
I know a lot of the GS riders are from Quebec, too.
Does your book have off-road rides as well as street rides?

I read somewhere that the state and province with the highest per capita number of licensed
motorcyclists are New Hampshire and Quebec.
I know a lot of the GS riders are from Quebec, too.
Does your book have off-road rides as well as street rides?

sorry, no, only street rides.

But I know there is forum for off-road riders in Quebec,...maybe they could help you out with some info:
http://motoaventurequebec.xooit.com/index.php

And there is Quebec BMW club with a lot of off-road riders:
http://www.bmw-club-quebec.qc.ca/forum/

Ciao!

Odile

Merci, Odile,
I'm sure I need a copy of your book anyway to find the best food and lodging! :ca

I had seen this in the Whitehorse catalog and was curious. Thanks for the input!

+1 Lois on the Loose. Essential reading, male of female.

Lois's second book....Red Tape and White Knuckles was also a good read. It started slow, but was a good read after getting past the first section. Lois was in MN and also at the WIMC in CO. She's an entertaining speaker too.

+1 Lois on the Loose. Essential reading, male of female.

"the odds are good, but the goods are odd"

What a great book, I really enjoyed reading it and wrote a review of it for the CVMG monthly magazine.

It's one that I read again occasionally, as well as Mellisa's book.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I also have "On the Perimeter" by Hazel Kolb, it's been about twenty years, maybe I should re-read it.

Last edited:
I just ordered "The Perfect Vehicle" last night along with American Borders by Carla King. (I'll give a review after I read it.)

The initial few pages, where she describes someone leaving their home on their bike, is fabulous.

The rest of it is composed of equal parts naivete and bad stereotypes as she tries to figure out who she is and who we are.

I give it a C+/B-

"Hear me Roar" struck Tina as a printed version of "Look at me! I'm a girl on a bike!".

The initial few pages, where she describes someone leaving their home on their bike, is fabulous.

The rest of it is composed of equal parts naivete and bad stereotypes as she tries to figure out who she is and who we are.

I give it a C+/B-

"Hear me Roar" struck Tina as a printed version of "Look at me! I'm a girl on a bike!".

An easy read, and yeah, It was not my type of story if I didn't have a M/C obsession:whistle, but I was envious of her mechanical skills. I also think some of her "flings" were something from a different era. Pretty cool that she connected with families and couples while camping though. Almost like a BMW Rally, hey?
And of course, it was a Ural, not a BMW. LOL But, I still have respect for anyone making a round the country ride on a bike.

Back