Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Airplane Shirt

PlaneGeek

Harley Airplane Shirt

Ok, in the talelight of this month's BMW ON there is a great t-shirt stating "If Harley-Davidson made an airplane would you fly in it." Where can I get one of these? Man I'd love to see the reaction at work with this...

put me down for one too...........

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaneGeek View Post
    Ok, in the talelight of this month's BMW ON there is a great t-shirt stating "If Harley-Davidson made an airplane would you fly in it." Where can I get one of these? Man I'd love to see the reaction at work with this...

If I remember correctly, they haven't been available for a while. I was told that they had to cease production because of some kind of trademark or copyright infringement. Then they started producing similar shirts that did not have the Harley name, but had just a pair of wings like Harley's. And it said "If they made an airplane, would you fly in it." Click Here

The ones I saw (DeQuion, 93??) had a picture of an airplane with chain driven props.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

warredon
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    The ones I saw (DeQuion, 93??) had a picture of an airplane with chain driven props.
    I haven't seen them in a while, but that is the way I also remember them.

Interesting history?

HD and Airplanes are nearly equal in age! The Wright Bros. may well have known the Davidsons, as combustion engines were so new then. Hmmmm? BMW did indeed the same genesis, with aircraft engines, WW1 and then came the R23. Therefore the blue/white "prop" symbol we all sport today. Question is funny about would you fly a HD built flying machine. Maybe! I'm a Pilot since 1972 and love the history of it all. Just rode my GSA to the Outer Banks,NC for just that, and a second look in my lifetime at this place. ONE thing is certain, HD has WON the "marketing war/award" of the bike world. Randy

Brett
    I've been seeing that shirt for years, it's almost as great as the " I rode my bike to Trailer week" Tee I've seen

Brett Endress
    Altoona PA

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    ONE thing is certain, HD has WON the "marketing war/award" of the bike world.
    Reminds of a shirt I'd seen years ago:
    "If Harley Davidson had as many engineers as lawyers they'd have a great product."

But speaking of Marketing and the cornering of it...
    Here is an interesting article where HD wanted to TM their "sound".

It has some sound files in it. I think the Honda sounds better...

Good:)

I remember that sound thing HD had with Japan! They lost that battle, but not much else have they lost. I've never owned the HD, but sure know they are everywhere and have dealers in every city/town across America. I've been traveling the USA a lot in all my years and never seen such a buildup of dealerships as HD has. BMW seems to be loosing them? Ride Canada and you're not likely to find one anywhere, with a few exceptions. I'm a diehard BMW guy to my end days, most probably, but keep an eye open to the m/c world out there.Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    HD and Airplanes are nearly equal in age! The Wright Bros. may well have known the Davidsons........
    Coincidentally, the Wright Bros 1st airplane had chain driven props (they started out as bicycle mechanics)
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Since we're bashing HD tonight, why not listen to George Carlin at this link.

http://www.illcuts.com/2009/08/georg...-davidson.html

Yarddog
    I own both a Harley and a BMW...and I'm frankly wonderin' whose idea it was to laud the engineering on these Beemers? The first thing that hit me in the face, almost literally, was who the HECK designed the oil filter access on these thangs? My R100/7 requires that the cover clear the frame just so, and the dern thing's HOT while you're tryin' to figure it out...and then you gotta get it past the exhaust pipe...also hot...and getting it all back in there? On a 110 degree day? In the sun? Oh yeah, tell ME about Teutonic engineering? My Harley's got a spin on filter at the back of the frame...nothin' hot back there...

Then came the day first time I reinstalled the handlebars and risers all by myself... Yep, just tons of fun there...the Harley? There are two big studs that fasten the risers to the top triple clamp...and a clamp to snug down the handlebar to the risers...no mystery or big chore there...

The last thing I've done, so far, that causes me to laugh at this concept of superior BMW engineering is how the air filter housing is built, at the rear of the engine...folks, there's just NO reason that things have to be so dern complicated! Air filter on a Harley? Four screws and the thing's outta there...

I will concede that Beemers seem to have a real good resale value, and there are more elderly BMW's around than rice burners...but in comparison, there are far more vintage Harleys on the road than vintage anything else...and, I don't know... ya think maybe there's a reason for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    there are far more vintage Harleys on the road than vintage anything else...and, I don't know... ya think maybe there's a reason for it?
    Yup.

"98% of of all Harley Davidson motorcycles ever built are still on the road today... The remaining 2% made it back home."

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    I have one,and that is what it has on it. I do love to wear it,under my old jacket,and catch the looks on the faces of the faithful,when I remove the jacket,and they catch a glimpse. It does get a conversation started,in a bar,around a pool table. I know this for a fact.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nose

I had to look-see ebay now for this shirt use" harley davidson airplane shirt". You can have it , I have too many T's already...