• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley Airplane Shirt

P

PlaneGeek

Ok, in the talelight of this month's BMW ON there is a great t-shirt stating "If Harley-Davidson made an airplane would you fly in it." Where can I get one of these? Man I'd love to see the reaction at work with this...
:D

Ok, in the talelight of this month's BMW ON there is a great t-shirt stating "If Harley-Davidson made an airplane would you fly in it." Where can I get one of these? Man I'd love to see the reaction at work with this...

If I remember correctly, they haven't been available for a while. I was told that they had to cease production because of some kind of trademark or copyright infringement. Then they started producing similar shirts that did not have the Harley name, but had just a pair of wings like Harley's. And it said "If they made an airplane, would you fly in it." Click Here

The ones I saw (DeQuion, 93??) had a picture of an airplane with chain driven props.

Interesting history?

HD and Airplanes are nearly equal in age! The Wright Bros. may well have known the Davidsons, as combustion engines were so new then. Hmmmm? BMW did indeed the same genesis, with aircraft engines, WW1 and then came the R23:). Therefore the blue/white "prop" symbol we all sport today. Question is funny about would you fly a HD built flying machine. Maybe! I'm a Pilot since 1972 and love the history of it all:). Just rode my GSA to the Outer Banks,NC for just that, and a second look in my lifetime at this place:). ONE thing is certain, HD has WON the "marketing war/award" of the bike world. Randy

I've been seeing that shirt for years, it's almost as great as the " I rode my bike to Trailer week" Tee I've seen

Brett Endress
Altoona PA

ONE thing is certain, HD has WON the "marketing war/award" of the bike world.

Reminds of a shirt I'd seen years ago:
"If Harley Davidson had as many engineers as lawyers they'd have a great product."

But speaking of Marketing and the cornering of it...
Here is an interesting article where HD wanted to TM their "sound".:deal

It has some sound files in it. I think the Honda sounds better... :laugh

Good:)

I remember that sound thing HD had with Japan! They lost that battle, but not much else have they lost. I've never owned the HD, but sure know they are everywhere and have dealers in every city/town across America. I've been traveling the USA a lot in all my years and never seen such a buildup of dealerships as HD has. BMW seems to be loosing them? Ride Canada and you're not likely to find one anywhere, with a few exceptions. I'm a diehard BMW guy to my end days, most probably, but keep an eye open to the m/c world out there:).Randy

I own both a Harley and a BMW...and I'm frankly wonderin' whose idea it was to laud the engineering on these Beemers? The first thing that hit me in the face, almost literally, was who the HECK designed the oil filter access on these thangs? My R100/7 requires that the cover clear the frame just so, and the dern thing's HOT while you're tryin' to figure it out...and then you gotta get it past the exhaust pipe...also hot...and getting it all back in there? On a 110 degree day? In the sun? Oh yeah, tell ME about Teutonic engineering? My Harley's got a spin on filter at the back of the frame...nothin' hot back there...

Then came the day first time I reinstalled the handlebars and risers all by myself... Yep, just tons of fun there...the Harley? There are two big studs that fasten the risers to the top triple clamp...and a clamp to snug down the handlebar to the risers...no mystery or big chore there...

The last thing I've done, so far, that causes me to laugh at this concept of superior BMW engineering is how the air filter housing is built, at the rear of the engine...folks, there's just NO reason that things have to be so dern complicated! Air filter on a Harley? Four screws and the thing's outta there...

I will concede that Beemers seem to have a real good resale value, and there are more elderly BMW's around than rice burners...but in comparison, there are far more vintage Harleys on the road than vintage anything else...and, I don't know... ya think maybe there's a reason for it?

there are far more vintage Harleys on the road than vintage anything else...and, I don't know... ya think maybe there's a reason for it?

Yup.

"98% of of all Harley Davidson motorcycles ever built are still on the road today... The remaining 2% made it back home." :laugh

The ones I saw (DeQuion, 93??) had a picture of an airplane with chain driven props.
I have one,and that is what it has on it. I do love to wear it,under my old jacket,and catch the looks on the faces of the faithful,when I remove the jacket,and they catch a glimpse. It does get a conversation started,in a bar,around a pool table. I know this for a fact.

Attachments

• IMG_1397_800x600.jpg
    IMG_1397_800x600.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,690
I had to look-see ebay now for this shirt use" harley davidson airplane shirt". You can have it , I have too many T's already...

Anybody know Peter Burke in Waterbury Center, Vermont? If so, maybe he/she can ask where he got the shirt. Or if he is reading this forum, hopefully he will speak up.

Anybody know Peter Burke in Waterbury Center, Vermont? If so, maybe he/she can ask where he got the shirt. Or if he is reading this forum, hopefully he will speak up.

That's me, but I have no idea where it came from. I just took the photo. (My first in a glossy publication -- woohoo!)

Pete

ive heard of that tee shirt, there used to be a website they had but like you guys said there were copyright issues. i have some BMW shirts im trying to get rid of actually for only 9.99 each. take a look if youd like http://bmwtees.webs.com/

im pretty sure my dad actually had a tee similar to that, that was a long time ago though:dunno

Back