Thread: Fairing Scratches

thoken

Question Fairing Scratches

Hi -

I have a 2008 K1200S that has some scratches on the fairing which I would like to try to remove. Any suggestions? I searched the forums here and came up empty!

Cheers,

Tom:

Lightbulb Plastic polish

Don't know had deep your scratches are but I'd try some Meguiar's PlastX plastic polish with a Dremel felt wheel for starters---excellent polish good on lots of different hard surfaces. You might also need to wetsand with 1000 & 2000 grit before trying the polish for best results, too.

Good luck!
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

thoken
    Thanks for the quick response - scratches are not too deep so will give it a shot with the polish first! Wish me luck....

Quote Originally Posted by thoken View Post
    Hi -

I have a 2008 K1200S that has some scratches on the fairing which I would like to try to remove. Any suggestions? I searched the forums here and came up empty!

Cheers,

Tom:
    Hey Tom,
    I have varying opinions on scratches. First is "holy sox, gotta get rid of those"!
    This was my opinion after I had a little incident on my was to my first rally (the famous GR3 at Soldiers Grove, WI). Put some real nice gouges on my right side case. I was the brunt of many pokes when I arrived and was whining about it.

Later (much) I changed my mind. You can call it what you like but I call it my "red badge of courage".

Regardless what I think, I can understand how you feel. I do like to keep my equipment in as best shape as I can.

Oh, another question. How deep are these scratches? There are those pens I have seen posthumously (and I might add, kinda creepy) pushed by the late Billy Mays (and they are still showing that ad!).

I don't know if they work but that may be an option.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution to your satisfaction.

Ride safely.

for future reference, your K12S is a wedge K-bike, not a flying brick. fairing issues don't matter, but other ones will. you might try asking this question in "gear" section, as repairing road rash is not a model specific issue.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots