Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Outfitting the bod

  1. #16
    Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    the State Ptomaine
    Posts
    897
    I was just watching "Jesse James is a Dead Man"- the episode where he rides the ice road to Tuk
    from Yellowknife, Canada.
    Needless to say, he leaves the ape-hangers custom chopper at home.
    For this one, serious occasion he pulls out a BMW R1200GSADV.
    I guess that speaks volumes. (As it has enough alternator to run electrics.)
    Of course, he immediately slaps on a cheezy custom flames paint job...

    Oh! And my point! He is wearing Gerbings gear, and is thankful for it.

    And a helmet.

    An interesting episode to watch, considering this thread.
    MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

  2. #17
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Payson, AZ
    Posts
    764
    Having high hopes that I'll get to try out the new Gerbing gear this weekend. *fingers crossed*

  3. #18
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by iRene View Post
    I was just watching "Jesse James is a Dead Man"- the episode where he rides the ice road to Tuk
    from Yellowknife, Canada.
    Needless to say, he leaves the ape-hangers custom chopper at home.
    For this one, serious occasion he pulls out a BMW R1200GSADV.
    I guess that speaks volumes. (As it has enough alternator to run electrics.)
    Of course, he immediately slaps on a cheezy custom flames paint job...

    Oh! And my point! He is wearing Gerbings gear, and is thankful for it.

    And a helmet.

    An interesting episode to watch, considering this thread.
    At Dust-2-Dawson in Dawson City last June I was chatting with some folks from Inuvik about Jesse James' show. They were on the set while he was filming some scenes and said he had a heated van available at almost all times and that they felt the entire show was a shame. These are people who make the Tuk run regularly.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  4. #19
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,136
    Speaking of Gerbing, they have an outlet site with great prices.

    Just check the sizing since their size numbers don't mean what they usually do.

    http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

    Keep looking. Sizes change.

    Voni
    sMiling

    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

  5. #20
    Registered User R1100rtp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by iRene View Post
    I was just watching "Jesse James is a Dead Man"- the episode where he rides the ice road to Tuk
    from Yellowknife, Canada.
    Needless to say, he leaves the ape-hangers custom chopper at home.
    For this one, serious occasion he pulls out a BMW R1200GSADV.
    I guess that speaks volumes. (As it has enough alternator to run electrics.)
    Of course, he immediately slaps on a cheezy custom flames paint job...

    Oh! And my point! He is wearing Gerbings gear, and is thankful for it.

    .
    That's good to hear
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...
    Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Friend of the Marque Past Dir. BMW MOA Foundation
    '07 R1200GS, '15 F700GS, '12 WeeStrom-Adv., '88 K75C
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair MOA #27994, RA #13106 #IBA#94

  6. #21
    Registered User bmwgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    538
    I skimmed over this thread and I did not see any Hippo Hands mentioned as they work wonders.

    Also, I did not see a Foggy mentioned either as it works really good too.

    I always have issue with my feet getting cold. I have not looked into heated socks or heated insoles yet but I will.

  7. #22
    Registered User womanridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    I skimmed over this thread and I did not see any Hippo Hands mentioned as they work wonders.

    Also, I did not see a Foggy mentioned either as it works really good too.

    I always have issue with my feet getting cold. I have not looked into heated socks or heated insoles yet but I will.
    I recently learned about "Smartwool" socks. I like them. I even bought 2 more pair this past weekend. REI sells them.
    Karen Jacobs
    Moderator
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

  8. #23
    Registered User bmwgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    I recently learned about "Smartwool" socks. I like them. I even bought 2 more pair this past weekend. REI sells them.
    I've tried them as well as ski socks and still have problems with my feet getting cold.

    Thanks.

  9. #24
    12BSWAYED
    Guest
    Hello everyone! I'm glad there's a women's only area now...very cool. I don't get online much and I thought I'd use this thread to stop by and say Hi and make a small contribution...

    In the summer, I wear an Air Mesh kevlar suit from motoport. I always carry merino wool long underwear from Minus 33. It packs light.

    In the fall, winter and spring, I just purchased a riding suit from Teiz Motorsports. I know alot of you already have gear, but for thoes of you that don't, check this company out. Sadly, I won't get to test it out because it appears surgury is in my near future...

    For thoes with cold feet, I've used toe warms with great results.

    Gerbings just came out with new jackets, pants and gloves with micro wire technology...I tried the gloves on, and you can't feel the wires...at all! So, if you're in the market for heated clothing, this would be awsome!

    Take care everybody!

  10. #25
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,136
    Be sure to drop by during your recovery. There will be lots of people weather bound who would love to have you share your wisdom.

    Heal well and quickly!

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

  11. #26
    12BSWAYED
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Be sure to drop by during your recovery. There will be lots of people weather bound who would love to have you share your wisdom.

    Heal well and quickly!

    Voni
    sMiling
    Thanks Voni!

  12. #27
    Registered User mvscorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    222
    Another vote for the Smartwool socks - big difference in comfort.
    I do have Gerbings jacket liner and gloves, and for the coldest riding I've done I had an Under Armour base layer, and a thermal shirt with mock turtleneck collar.
    One great addition I found 2-3 years ago? Under Armour makes a cold weather helmet liner (intended for football helmets). Basically a thin material ski mask that does wonders for keeping air off my throat and keeps my face warm without too much bulk.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

  13. #28
    Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    the State Ptomaine
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bswayed View Post
    ... For thoes with cold feet, I've used toe warms with great results.

    ...Take care everybody!
    I've been wondering for a few days about the "toe warms" to which you refer-
    are those the dry chem packets
    you squeeze to activate that cost a couple of bucks apiece that you buy at outdoor outfitters?
    I imagine you tuck them into the toes of your boots?
    MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

  14. #29
    Dee G flymymbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central WA
    Posts
    587
    I always wear a Roadcrafter. What goes on under it depends on what I feel like wearing that morning.

    Day before yesterday, it was 44 and raining.

    Under the 'stich was a pair of thickish tights, a camo skirt, long sleeve t-shirt and that BMW zip front thermal jacket liner thing. "Liner" socks, Sidi boots, Rev'it H20 gloves and a modular helmet. Was fairly warm.

    Today it was 42 and not raining.

    Long sleeve T and flannel shirt, cords, BMW thermal thing again but this time under a thinish REI jacket made with the Schoeller wind block material, BMW zippered neck warmer, same type of sock, gloves, boots. I was cold 5 minutes after I left the house and the almost useless heated grips on the baby GS were now totally useless. I couldn't get warm to save my life.

    I have been known to wear an Aerostich "Unobtanium" heated vest or a Gerbing jacket liner from time to time.

    And on my Honda Rebel, I use the Givi "Covers", which are just like Hippo Hands. they work GREAT!!!! If I use those, I can leave the Rev'it gloves at home and wear my thin summer Held gloves.
    Too damn many bikes to list

  15. #30
    12BSWAYED
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iRene View Post
    I've been wondering for a few days about the "toe warms" to which you refer-
    are those the dry chem packets
    you squeeze to activate that cost a couple of bucks apiece that you buy at outdoor outfitters?
    I imagine you tuck them into the toes of your boots?
    Thoes are the ones! With adhesive on the bottom. I just wear a normal pair of cotton crew socks. If it's really cold...say 35, then I wear smartwool hiking socks. I carry an extra pair of socks just in case my feet get really sweaty to change out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •