• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The big renovation: 1908 home

We've set a lofty goal of christmas dinner in the house. :ha

Excavation just started for the addition foundation.

When did you decide to add a loft? :stick

Chistmas dinner in the house - no problem, where you do the dishes and where you spend Christmas night could be another matter.
:hak

:lurk

When did you decide to add a loft? :stick

Chistmas dinner in the house - no problem, where you do the dishes and where you spend Christmas night could be another matter.
:hak

:lurk

It may look more like this...
cavemen.jpg

than this...
rockwell-thanksgiving.jpg

:ha

I thought you would be much more diverse being a member of the Portland Arts Community. I guess Portland is still pretty much former New England ?

How can an individual be more diverse? Amongst me, myself, and I it's a fairly homogenous experience. :ha

Open studios was a surprising success. If there's one decent barometer of how people are feeling about the economy, it's how willing they are to spend money on art. But between me giving my schpeel over and over, everyone kept asking about the house. A handful of folks could see what it was going to be, but most blinked and laughed nervously.

"When was the fire?"
"And your wife is pregnant?!? GOOD LUCK!"
"Was it a crack house?"
"Meth?"
:ha

It's a bit tight back here. :lol
681789182_pQF9f-L.jpg

While they're doing their thing, I'm pulling some nails and doing some pondering. There are some wicked angles up in the attic space.

681757275_4jWvi-L.jpg

Note the depth of the nail that was holding the old drywall that had been installed over the plaster.
681756878_DYPdi-M.jpg

Sometimes pulling out the checkbook is the right answer. We have hole.
681859415_hz2Fq-M.jpg

keep em coming!

Keep the shots coming, Scott when you have a chance, you have an audience!:wave

Pretty framing shot, looks to be in great shape!

We once found an outhouse pit from years prior when excavating; little liquor bottles, some chump change not worth the mint, but very very interesting find! The bottles are still on my shelf, little corked blown bottles full of...well you can pretty well guess!

Interesting gables there.
Yup, that's a hole alright.
And a walkway coming as well?
That was not a job for pick and shovel Scott, no.

One of the workers was digging for some post footings in our dirt floor basement, working under the old oil lines. "Hey, I found a coin. Cool... a silver dollar." I was down there pulling out some old wire and as I leaned over to take a look he put the shovel in again...

687363752_A2UFH-L.jpg

In 1937 someone buried $95.87 in coins, some dating back to 1878. All told, there 249 coins, including 20 silver dollars and 101 half dollars. Most are very worn. In today's dollars, that's a bit more than $1400. Can you imagine burying that kind of cash in a cotton bag in the dirt?

What's it worth today? I don't think there are any rare gems and none are in mint condition. Best guess, perhaps $2500, but it'll take some sorting out. Still very very cool. :D

That's why I love these projects!:thumb

Tom

Last edited:
One of the workers was digging for some post footings in our dirt floor basement, working under the old oil lines. "Hey, I found a coin. Cool... a silver dollar." I was down there pulling out some old wire and as I leaned over to take a look he put the shovel in again...

687363752_A2UFH-L.jpg

In 1937 someone buried $95.87 in coins, some dating back to 1878. All told, there 249 coins, including 20 silver dollars and 101 half dollars. Most are very worn. In today's dollars, that's a bit more than $1400. Can you imagine burying that kind of cash in a cotton bag in the dirt?

What's it worth today? I don't think there are any rare gems and none are in mint condition. Best guess, perhaps $2500, but it'll take some sorting out. Still very very cool. :D
My my. I do believe this is a trending topic on Twitter: #knaryskoins :D

How COOL is THAT?!?!

:thumb

What a find !!!!!!!!!!!

Did you find the pot to piss in ? It looks like that house had one during the Depression.

If I found that hoard I would be searching for the descendants of the original owner for their family heirs. Really its just a bag of junk silver worth about 17 dollars an once verses the uncirculated shine worth far more. But then again it could be enough for a BMW......................airhead with the Husky trade in. :eek

If you don't wish to hunt down the past at least donate it to the Portland Art League...........you.

Did you find the pot to piss in ? It looks like that house had one during the Depression.

If I found that hoard I would be searching for the descendants of the original owner for their family heirs. Really its just a bag of junk silver worth about 17 dollars an once verses the uncirculated shine worth far more. But then again it could be enough for a BMW......................airhead with the Husky trade in. :eek

If you don't wish to hunt down the past at least donate it to the Portland Art League...........you.

:D

We joked about finding descendants, but then wondered if with the money we send them a bill for the rats, broken foundation, etc. Hmm... that would probably work out to our benefit. :ha

How much for the ADV sticker ? That looks like a M 70 uncirculated grade ? Is it a vintage Baldy because they are very rare, especially if free from staining. :)

I think that hoard was left to solve past Karma. :ha

:lol3

Back