• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The big renovation: 1908 home

Three expensive words

Knary- As a professional remodelor, I have learned that the three most expensive words in the English language are: (other than anything Tiger Woods has said to his wife) "might as well". If you haven't discovered the expense of these words yet, wait until you are selecting cabinetry, tile, plumbing fixtures, low voltage systems, and any other finished product that goes into a home. You'll be amazed how many times those words are thrown around. There is no end to the incremental improvements you can make in the quality of everything.

If I could suggest one luxury that pays for itself every day it would be heated floors in the master bath. Electrical or radiant, it doesn't matter, you and your wife will love them every day. My kids lay on my floor to get dressed in the morning. I know it's another "might as well", but this one's worth it. Jacuzzi bathtubs on the other hand, not so much.
Good luck, and please pay your contractors. They work hard for the money.
-Marty

:wave

Nothing too dramatic. Just the usual ebb and flow of dealing with contractors.

p.s. I find myself thinking about an R12R. Did I mention that I'm broke? :ha

Ok not the Showdown but As the Hammer Falls. With pizza and beer it should be a fun read.

P.S.

So am I. So am I. I think we both need to save for when the CamHead engine makes it to the R. (By then we will have recovered, spent our money on some other bike or have money for the R) Did I mention I hate waiting?

Nothing too dramatic. Just the usual ebb and flow of dealing with contractors.

p.s. I find myself thinking about an R12R. Did I mention that I'm broke? :ha

You think you're broke now, just wait until the little guy/gal comes. :stick I can't belieive how much stuff my little guy has and he's almost two. These little guys/gals are more high maintenance than our BMW's; however, they're worth every penny.

Knary- As a professional remodelor, I have learned that the three most expensive words in the English language are: (other than anything Tiger Woods has said to his wife) "might as well". If you haven't discovered the expense of these words yet, wait until you are selecting cabinetry, tile, plumbing fixtures, low voltage systems, and any other finished product that goes into a home. You'll be amazed how many times those words are thrown around. There is no end to the incremental improvements you can make in the quality of everything.

If I could suggest one luxury that pays for itself every day it would be heated floors in the master bath. Electrical or radiant, it doesn't matter, you and your wife will love them every day. My kids lay on my floor to get dressed in the morning. I know it's another "might as well", but this one's worth it. Jacuzzi bathtubs on the other hand, not so much.

:thumb
We've had a few of those and have mostly resisted. Our version is "While we're here". The goal is a modest and very functional little house. We don't want the craptastic bottom of the barrel (e.g. texture to hide questionable drywall), or the top of the line (e.g. full custom kitchen cabinets). We know the market and our needs. Anything thought through and done with some good sense will be an enormous improvement over what we had and we should see a decent return on our investment (though that's not the primary aim).

Good luck, and please pay your contractors. They work hard for the money.
-Marty
:nod
Mostly. :D
We've had a few issues, as noted, with the concrete work and some resulting problems. But every time I've gotten a bill, I've made a call, calmly discussed the situation and then paid them. They've been, it's fair to say, shocked that I haven't refused payments or thrown any hissy fits. To which I've replied to them, for example, "I know how much concrete was poured. I know how many hours your guys put in. Materials aren't free and neither is labor. So I pay you. Should I do something else?"

:dunno

p.s. I just wired up the gas furnace. It works ... if a bit noisily. The bearings in one of the blowers sound a little less than happy. :ha

This has been a great read. It helps me see my project(s) will be much easier. I will be crawling under the Inn today to measure the plumbing so my son and I can replace most of it in January (it is all in the open either under the building or OUTSIDE). Then we will totally renovate one of our rooms to bring it into this century. The Inn was built in 1883, has had some good and some not so good work done since then and it is time to start the gradual process of upgrading. I am curious and scared to find out what I will find when I remove the tub in that room....

A great read continues. As we apply the finishing touches on our 160 year old homestead home we have often referred to the house as a House of Compromises. A quarter bubble off can often be hidden by optic illusions. Fun ..... but expensive. Thanks for continuing the guided tour. - Bob

It's the little things that count. It's the little things that put holes in your feet, that uncertainty and pain in your back. Throughout the living room and dining room, the previous owner had liberally used staples to ineptly install a hardwood floor. The easy math puts the number in the thousands. They all had to go. Oh how I hate those little staples. And today, finally having access to the last patch of the old floor, I had to pull just one more mean little piece of bent metal.

745976167_kEcuW-L.jpg

For some of the old openings we've opted for sash replacement kits - so called "sash packs" or "tilt packs" depending on the manufacturer. We went with the Marvin's wood version. You pull out the old stops and sashes, clean the opening up, attach some clips, snap in a jam liner, and install the same kinds of sashes that would go in one of their new complete windows. The benefits: quick install, a little cheaper, and the old exterior trim is saved. The downsides: you lose some glass to the jam liners, vinyl/plastic of the liner, and not as clean as an all new window.

745974532_bcvsL-M.jpg

Same windows from the inside:

745973911_RJ4Lw-M.jpg

745974041_rvogU-M.jpg

The Marvin windows are a clear step up from the Jeld-Wen we used in the back of the house (yes, that lunatic got some of our cash). When the Jeld-Wen warranty guy came out to address a few issues he commented that he put Marvin in his house. :lol

Oh, and we finally got rid of the space shuttle. The PO in his infinite cheapness had the furnace installed directly beneath its undersized return in the dining room. The HVAC crew came in and did what looks like a great job. The only thing saved was the old furnace. I love the sight of that wee little roof ..umm... erection. :ha

745973750_wPeVA-M.jpg

Scott,
I am packed and heading off to spend Christmas with the family.

I donÔÇÖt know where you will be having your Christmas diner but I whish you and yours all the best of this special season.

John

PS.
Look before you sit. You never know when those pesky tacks will bite you in the

And to you as well. :wave

I'm taking some time away from the house and spending it with my wife who's looking more and more like the nose of a 747. :ha

Just found this thread -- as the owner/maintainer of a 1928 house, my hat is officially off to you!

Just maintaining one of these irreplaceable gems is enough for me. Your project is truly inspiring!

Back