• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The big renovation: 1908 home

I've gone back and forth on all of these details. The bottom line is all of the "save the world, save a dollar" options, smart though they may be, are just too expensive. We can't afford them now and hoping for a pay off a decade or more down the road just isn't reasonable for us. Some like the insulation are significantly more expensive. Something like solar is an audacious luxury that would take that much longer to pencil out in our area.
We just finished our home addition (finished is a flexible term, we'll be decorating and finishing out rooms for years to come). We weighed and debated many of the same decisions you are. We went with a geothermal heating and cooling system which is incredible expensive to install but is the cheapest system to run (it also lasts a long time with little maintenance). It was hard to justify the 10 years it will take to pay off the system until I looked at adding the cost to the mortgage. When I did, I found the additional cost to finance the system is less than the monthly savings the system provides. In other words, we get a small savings each month from the very start.

As mentioned, with the framing exposed now is a good time to add anything you think you might want or need in the future. With wireless systems coming out for every gadget, I didn't add the expense of trying to "future proof" the house with every kind of wiring to every room. Instead, I installed plastic flexible conduit myself with only the wiring I needed today. I can always pull out or add wiring later if something new is needed in the future. I also installed a central vac system. If you've every worked with plumbing pipe, running the thin-walled PVC for a vac is easy to do yourself. The total cost for the parts is about what you'd pay for good regular vacuum.

Michael

There's nothing inherently wrong with tract homes. It's just that so many of them are just awful architecture.

Did I mention that my wife is pregnant? :ha
We had originally planned to do it in sections, but renovation and a baby seemed like a really bad combination.

My reasons were also because of kids, and my 90 year old Grandmother. When I started the process, our first son was about 2 months old. He would sit in his car seat sleeping while I pounded, wired, plumbed etc.

Did I mention that my wife is pregnant? :ha
We had originally planned to do it in sections, but renovation and a baby seemed like a really bad combination.

Praise the Lord we don't have that contributing joy! We're purely recreational now :clap -Bob

Scott -
When we were at the point you are at now, we installed a "WalVac" (in-the-wall vacuum.) It's easy to run the PVC when you can see all of the studs, and the actual unit hangs in our root cellar. Most people put them in their garages.

These are great for a couple of reasons:
--> gets rid of the dust with no residual dust coming through the vacuum cleaner bag and staying in the room
--> it's quiet, because the unit is outside of the living space
--> fast and easy to use, not only for the floors but for cobwebs at ceiling level and or those annoying flies that seem to hang around the windows in the fall.
--> the primary piece of equipment - the wand - weighs about 1 pound so you aren't hauling around a big heavy vacuum cleaner all the time.

Anyway - I am currently in the middle of moving and I already know that no matter what we buy, I am going to have one of these installed.

:clap

There's nothing inherently wrong with tract homes. It's just that so many of them are just awful architecture.

:dunno

My point was that people talk about these old homes as though they were built with a kind of love, artistry and craftsmanship remarkably different from what you'd find today. I don't see much evidence to back this up. It seems like the same misty eyed nostalgia that would have one believe a new K1300 was somehow inferior to a /7 as though the latter was made with hugs and genius. While I can understand preferring the look and feel of the older product, let's not delude ourselves into believing they didn't come with their own share of issues, mistakes, and corners cut to save a dime.

Open Studios is this weekend. Who wants to bet I get asked more questions about the house than the paintings? :ha

"...awful architecture." Kbasa

And most new subdivisions, with their cookie cutter architectural controls, are just as awful. I call them the stucco ghettos.

But I like the older areas where the houses are all different, and where there are generous side yards and set backs, so that there is more light and privacy.

Of course, in many places, these properties are very expensive.

I'm a fool for old wood

My point was that people talk about these old homes as though they were built with a kind of love, artistry and craftsmanship remarkably different from what you'd find today. I don't see much evidence to back this up. It seems like the same misty eyed nostalgia that would have one believe a new K1300 was somehow inferior to a /7 as though the latter was made with hugs and genius. While I can understand preferring the look and feel of the older product, let's not delude ourselves into believing they didn't come with their own share of issues, mistakes, and corners cut to save a dime.

Open Studios is this weekend. Who wants to bet I get asked more questions about the house than the paintings? :ha

Your bit left buried in the framing is a fine example of your point. What I find amazing in turn of the century homes that I've remodeled is the amazing woodwork; this may not be the case in your home, I don't know.

I saved all the window trim, baseboard and stripped and reinstalled. The baseboard was 6-8" high, the moldings are curved, beautiful works of art. The stairway banisters are stunning when stripped back to the original red oak, and simply not done in a moderately priced home of today. The liberal use of real oak versus today's particle board, the countless hours put into doing the lathe and plaster amazes me. 9 ft. celings...get out of here! What a great feeling!

The part that killed me to throw away in the last house was a wood floor done in 1" hickory strips. When I bought this 1898 house, the boiler had shut off in the middle of the winter, and all the water had ended up all over the floors destroying them. Try to imagine my love for little bitty nails!
I came back with prego; shazam!

Dollar for dollar was it worth stripping off 15 layers of lead paint on some of this stuff? No. But did it make the sale for the people who bought these homes? Without a doubt, the "love" factor came into play, and in each case got close to the price I was asking with very little haggling.

The hours and hours of work to put this stuff back on the walls was totally ridiculous, and that time was not factored into the bottom line when everything was done. My only excuse is I love old wood.

It is and always was a matter of money. One advantage with your old house is that it has full dimensional lumber (not nominal dimension such as a modern 2x4 that is actually a 1 1/2 x 3 1/2) and it was cut from old growth forest with less knots. Stronger frame.
Having built and remodeled many homes and other structures, I'd say the details are where a lot of the perceived quality and value are added. Trim is very noticable and can be expensive. Tall detailed base and crown molding are details that add value and cost money, as does wainscotting and coffered ceilings; things like that. When these items are installed and done with care and skill it can make an otherwise ordinary house, extraordinary.
You will no doubt be asked more about the house!

:thumb

I'm convinced that the 1 7/16 x 3 7/16 dimensions of a modern 2x4 is a scam to promote waste and therefore consumption! If they can all be that size, they could all be whatever size they want. Think of how much simpler it would all be if everything was a true unit size! :D

:thumb

I'm convinced that the 1 7/16 x 3 7/16 dimensions of a modern 2x4 is a scam to promote waste and therefore consumption! If they can all be that size, they could all be whatever size they want. Think of how much simpler it would all be if everything was a true unit size! :D
Okay, technically most are 1x 7/16" x 3 7/16". But it is wise to purchase studs for instance, from the same supplier as they can, and oft times do vary in thickness, width and length! I am not exactly sure when the nominal dimensions started (after WW2 sometime) but it has been around a long time. True sizes in any building material seldom applies though. Chipboard (O.S.B.) is sized for spacing and will be smaller as a result. A 3'0"door is actually the opening size, not the size of the door itself. I do know it is traditional now, but misleading, to call a 2x4 that, when it is actually a different dimension. I used to think it would be bettter if all building materials were sold on a "true size" basis. Agree.

Okay, technically most are 1x 7/16" x 3 7/16". But it is wise to purchase studs for instance, from the same supplier as they can, and oft times do vary in thickness, width and length! I am not exactly sure when the nominal dimensions started (after WW2 sometime) but it has been around a long time. True sizes in any building material seldom applies though. Chipboard (O.S.B.) is sized for spacing and will be smaller as a result. A 3'0"door is actually the opening size, not the size of the door itself. I do know it is traditional now, but misleading, to call a 2x4 that, when it is actually a different dimension. I used to think it would be bettter if all building materials were sold on a "true size" basis. Agree.

The variations in widths of wall studs sure makes building a "perfect" wall difficult, but I'm not sure I want full dimension lumber to come back at this point in my life. Just think, every three 2X4's would then weigh the same as four of today's. My back hurts just thinking about standing up a wall made from full dimension wood; especially if it has a lot of windows framed out. If I ever have to build myself another house, which I hope to never do, I'm going to run all my framing material thru the planer and standardize the widths.

The worst part about working in a house that was lathe and plaster, for me, is trying to get the drywall to "flow" smoothly. With plaster, they worked with what they had and made it smooth by varying the plaster thickness; not an option with drywall.

Red, I like old wood, too. There's nothing like the smell of old heart pine, but forget driving a nail in it. Thank God for torx-head screws.

Tom

The variations in widths of wall studs sure makes building a "perfect" wall difficult, but I'm not sure I want full dimension lumber to come back at this point in my life. Just think, every three 2X4's would then weigh the same as four of today's. My back hurts just thinking about standing up a wall made from full dimension wood; especially if it has a lot of windows framed out. If I ever have to build myself another house, which I hope to never do, I'm going to run all my framing material thru the planer and standardize the widths.

The worst part about working in a house that was lathe and plaster, for me, is trying to get the drywall to "flow" smoothly. With plaster, they worked with what they had and made it smooth by varying the plaster thickness; not an option with drywall.

Red, I like old wood, too. There's nothing like the smell of old heart pine, but forget driving a nail in it. Thank God for torx-head screws.

Tom

It is fun following this post! Tom , obviously you have personal experience. You make many good points and all true. Nothing like "hands on" to gain perspective and insight.

So why not have an impromptu mini-show in the gutted house?

OK, I'm deranged.

If I'd had the time to really clean the house! Great idea. :thumb

The day went tremendously well. Sold a chunk of work, was flooded with some needed affirmation, and didn't say anything too off color. A very good day. :D

It is fun following this post! Tom , obviously you have personal experience. You make many good points and all true. Nothing like "hands on" to gain perspective and insight.

Not to mention scars and callouses.:D

Tom

Remarkably lacking in photographs after the first batch :)

Best of luck to you in getting it done on time.

Stay the course

Scott,
Great pics! Keep them coming.Remember great projects take longer and as an Architect said to a client once"you can make excuses for time but not for quality".
Regards,Bruce

We've set a lofty goal of christmas dinner in the house. :ha

Excavation just started for the addition foundation.

Back