• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The big renovation: 1908 home

The driveway side of the porch had subsided, more than an inch in some spots. This had caused the eves to droop even more. This has to be fixed, but doing so after the interior is drywalled is a bad idea. Even though the columns need to be rebuilt, we opted for the quick fix.

720045884_iJvmB-L.jpg

720044768_pgjVr-M.jpg

And then yet another big truck in our tight tiny fragile little driveway and shingles were on their way up.

720044579_Wfbz8-L.jpg

They make quick work of it

720045324_Bm4yX-L.jpg

720045782_Y4SAm-L.jpg

Some the angles look a little wonky in the photos. Some is optical illusion. I *think* everything lines up ok. I'll see tomorrow.

All the framing on the interior is complete. This view stopped me. The new hallway...
720044622_N4D2x-L.jpg

The view from the front door...
720044953_dU5JN-L.jpg

Thanks, folks. :thumb

Yesterday's uh-oh...
721858538_mhLJz-L-1.jpg

To properly anchor the house, as per seismic requirements, a few pieces of the foundation need improvement. This chunk, a bit over 3 feet wide, will anchor the NE corner of the house. We're sistering up some other sections of the foundation.

Today's uh-oh...
722833652_iUxzh-L.jpg

We found thorns in the dirt in the crawlspace. Just another reminder of how far this neighborhood had fallen and since come back.

i don't usually hold found hypodermics in that manner, but then again, i don't usually pick them up either :brow (tfm brow)

anyway, if you want an a/v system conceptualized, pre-wired and aesthetically pleasing in a vintage of your choice, lemme know. i'll do it for the cost of parts and a little time on the husky on the dirt roads in your area.

i don't usually hold found hypodermics in that manner, but then again, i don't usually pick them up either :brow (tfm brow)

These are well aged. :lol

anyway, if you want an a/v system conceptualized, pre-wired and aesthetically pleasing in a vintage of your choice, lemme know. i'll do it for the cost of parts and a little time on the husky on the dirt roads in your area.

:heart

I doubt we can afford the cost of parts. :ha

Are you saying you don't think we should get a $100 off brand home theater system from Costco? :ha

I laugh too much. :ha

But you can ride the Husky any time you'd like. :nod

the saga continues :uhoh

722979863_FMiro-L.jpg

722974122_YDkno-L.jpg

Found in another corner of the basement. It's official, it was a crack house. :ha

A friend and I took it over to the local precinct. A cautious officer peered in, gave a us a knowing look and replied, "THAT is a LOT of crack!" The amount made us all doubt what it was and a quick test showed that most if not all of it was 'cut' - of which flavor, we won't know. If it had been crack, it would have been enough to pay for a chunk of the renovation. At their suggestion I dropped it into the nearest trash can.

The Money Pit

"two weeks"? :scratch

The Quote is from the hilarious movie, "The Money Pit."
Several times in the movie, the construction crews answer "Two Weeks, Man" ... when they are asked how long a job will take.

It's worth renting. :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pmDX0tgONFs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pmDX0tgONFs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Make that three weeks. :bluduh

Anyone bored enough to think about a few things with me? :D

Lighting:
I'm putting in can lights throughout the house. The finished ceiling height will be around 9' 3"+. Five inch cans or ? Any preference on the baffle/trim? It's an old house and some find recessed lighting too modern, but I don't think you can beat them for function in conjunction with some lamps.

Several times in the movie, the construction crews answer "Two Weeks, Man" ... when they are asked how long a job will take.

It's worth renting. :D

AH!
I know the movie, but forgot the reference. I thought Dave was giving an even harder poke in reference to the timeline the contractor's originally gave - three weeks. With the big downpours and the concrete oops, we hit 4 1/2 weeks. And then I asked them to tackle a few more things which has them still on site now five weeks after the initial start. I am very ready for them to be done.

or, you know, TOTAL RECALL

total-recall.jpg

Lighting

We did an addition 15 years ago and went nuts with recessed cans, track lighting and hanging lamps with floods. It was what the designer spected .The thing I don't like is the bulbs are expencive and they consume a lot of energy. They also cover a limited amount of area. Because the pattern is cone shaped walls will be dark higher up.

It is worth finding a high quality lighting supply house and spending some time getting an idea of what the other options are. They sometimes will work with you on price if you're buying everthing from them. I like the places that have a showroom and a supply section for professionals.

There is some really neat LED lamps and low voltage lamps. The initial cost is somewhat high though.

Go Big!

Hey Knary, GO BIG or Light a candle. The older you get the more light You will need! (+ 30%) You can never have too much light, and if you do... Dim it!!!! If you can hook up with a lighting designer at your local lighting store. Remember to take into consideration the color of you walls and ceilings as they can play a big factor in what will be reflected. Talk with your Electrician the usually have a pretty reasonable source and can point you in the right direction.

Bill

Hey Knary, GO BIG or Light a candle. The older you get the more light You will need! (+ 30%) You can never have too much light, and if you do... Dim it!!!! If you can hook up with a lighting designer at your local lighting store. Remember to take into consideration the color of you walls and ceilings as they can play a big factor in what will be reflected. Talk with your Electrician the usually have a pretty reasonable source and can point you in the right direction.

Bill

agree. When we were doing the lighting part of our project similar to this one, the Naysayers joked about our obsessing over lights, dimmers and colors. Now they come in and are impressed with the 'mood control' that we have in each room. Lots of imagining but worth it in the end. When things are all torn apart and the electrician is running wires it seems obvious to do it then. Over do it we say! We still use candles too. BTY, while the electrician is there put in more plugs than you think you'll need. - Bob

Back