• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"The Only Bike I'll Ever Need"

R

RobertThompson

After 40 years (yes, 40) away from riding I bought a Triumph Bonneville early this summer (it looked like bikes I used to ride). I remember telling the salesman, "This is the only bike I'll ever need." Three months later I have a BMW R1200RT (in addition to the Triumph) and am planning a cross-country (USA) tour after I retire next year. This web site (and club) is a great resource for a newcomer to BMWs.

One question: The RT is taller than my Triumph. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I haven't tipped over at a stop light yet, but I am up on my toes a bit more than I am comfortable with and I am considering the optional low seat. Would I give up comfort with the low seat (i.e., is it low because it's less padded?), or is it somehow simply configured to be lower but still butt-friendly?

Welcome to the club and forum.

Wonderfull bike you have and the triumph too!

Regarding the seat - you may want to go see your dealer and see if they can put one on your bike and road test it a bit.

The road test is very important because if it does not work for you you may need other solutions

It is scalloped lower with less padding.

I am assuming you have a new bike, the low seat is a no cost option, and i do not think the new low seat works on pre-09 models

Anyway check in often and if you get a chance post a picture of your bikes

Welcome

I'm about your height and inseam. I did a cross country ride on a GS in May - probably a little taller than even your RT and managed.

This should be an inquiry into ride comfort, not merely ride height if you're planning to tour North America. To that end investigate Sargent and other aftermarket producers of seats to optimize every aspect of your comfort.

For whats it's worth, I kept the stock seat on the GS, but added a Bead Rider and wore Aerostich padded bike shorts and was always comfortable from a seating standpoint.

Youv'e discovered the difference between need and want. :thumb Its great having more than one bike in the garage. Even better having more than one BMW :clap

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the start of your collection.

I'm about your height and inseam. I did a cross country ride on a GS in May - probably a little taller than even your RT and managed.

This should be an inquiry into ride comfort, not merely ride height if you're planning to tour North America. To that end investigate Sargent and other aftermarket producers of seats to optimize every aspect of your comfort.

For whats it's worth, I kept the stock seat on the GS, but added a Bead Rider and wore Aerostich padded bike shorts and was always comfortable from a seating standpoint.

Ditto this. I don't flatfoot my 1200GS, and although I'm on the lower dead stock setting, I added another
1/2" using my beaded seat. But the benefit is that my legs aren't all wadded up under me on long haul rides.
And rainwater doesn't puddle under my butt.
Before you spend a hunk of dough, ride it awhile. You'll learn to plan around off-camber stops and
think ahead to park on the level.

After 40 years (yes, 40) away from riding I bought a Triumph Bonneville early this summer (it looked like bikes I used to ride). I remember telling the salesman, "This is the only bike I'll ever need." Three months later I have a BMW R1200RT (in addition to the Triumph) and am planning a cross-country (USA) tour after I retire next year. This web site (and club) is a great resource for a newcomer to BMWs.

One question: The RT is taller than my Triumph. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I haven't tipped over at a stop light yet, but I am up on my toes a bit more than I am comfortable with and I am considering the optional low seat. Would I give up comfort with the low seat (i.e., is it low because it's less padded?), or is it somehow simply configured to be lower but still butt-friendly?

Hi Bob,
I am 5'9" and 31" inseam and ride a 2008 R1200RT with a low seat. I use the low setting for city and high setting for longer rides. This works great. It gives you more stability for stop and go in the low setting (low seat) and more comfort in the high (low seat) setting.
Best of both worlds and less than a minute to change. Get the low seat.

Jack

Welcome!

For the record, there is no such thing as "the only bike that I will ever need".
You are living proof of that.
Some people in the club have proved that about 15 times over.
I sent you a PM.

Ride safe!

Welcome to the family.:wave

Sounds like you are planning to have a great adventure next year. You will have plenty of time to get used to the bike and know exactly what you will and, more importantly, won't need for a long distance trip.

How about a pic of that new bike?

Hi Bob,
I am 5'9" and 31" inseam and ride a 2008 R1200RT with a low seat. I use the low setting for city and high setting for longer rides. This works great. It gives you more stability for stop and go in the low setting (low seat) and more comfort in the high (low seat) setting.
Best of both worlds and less than a minute to change. Get the low seat.

Jack

Thanks to all for the welcome and advice (and a couple of laughs). As several suggested, I guess I'll ride a few months with the stock seat and see how it goes. If I can't get comfortable with it, Jack seems to have a good solution (quoted above).

Take care.

Back