• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any Suggestions for Handling an

Great idea! It feels so good to help others. And kids always share their giggles and smiles!

Voni
sMiling

Bullett,

How's that nurse thing going? Have you strangled him yet? :wave

Did you use the bucket option? I'm thinking a good size fanny pack would work, too.

Anyway, hope the worst of it is over.

My husband is looking at hip replacement at the end of January or early Feb. We're looking at 3 months off of work for him. Our mission will be serious rehab to get him back on the bike in April. If all goes well, we'll be spending lots of time at the gym.:nyah

Copilot,

That would be a miraculous recovery to have the surgery in late January and be riding in April. I hope that is the case. Major stuff. After your gym time you'll be in tip top shape.

I did 10 yrs of going to the gym 5 days a week. The ex had heart issues. I did my time and ran a half marathon to top off thoes years...:) Never wanted to run a marathon. That's just nuts!

Ambulatory challenged spouse???

My husband sustained a tib-fib fracture about 8 days ago on a dual sport ride in So. Utah. I'm going crazy trying to keep him occupied while I'm at work.

Does anyone have some suggestions for keeping a "non-weight bearing" middle aged child occupied?

I already beat him at Scrabble (only once, so far), he has a laptop to access the Internet and he just got a Kindle that he seems to really enjoy.

Tomorrow, I will entertain him with an auto ride to see his orthopedic surgeon, but I'm running out of ideas to keep him occupied. Do y'all have any ideas or suggestions?

There are lots of wonderful suggestions here. I hope your husband heals up quickly so he can be back to riding in no time. The only thing I don't understand is he is an adult and I would think he is able to find things to do to keep himself occupied while you are at work and etc. to where you don't have to all the time.

I fractured both of my leg's and was off a year. I picked up a guitar. I am still practicing. I do not think I'll be famous but, it is a lot of fun.

Good Luck
Pat Carol

Well, I guess its time for a status update. He's 4 weeks and a few days from surgery and is doing pretty well. The leg has healed to the point that he can be on his crutches and not have it swell up in (it seems to me) about 5 seconds.

He's been reading a lot and spending some time on facebook and some riding internet boards.

He's finally sleeping all night, which means I get to sleep all night too!

He's felt well enough to go on two excursions to Costco this week.

And, the weather is supposed to be nice enough that I can escape on a ride this week-end!

Thanks for asking; and thanks for all the great suggestions.:thumb

Bullett,

Happy to hear things are progressing well. Soon you'll be able to give him the shopping list and send him off to Costco all by himself. :D

On one of my solo excursions to Costco, I bought a new crock pot. We had our original one since we were students and it was a cheap one. He's been putting together some meals in the crock pot while I'm at work. I don't want to admit that was my hope when I got it, but . . .:D

Update. Saw the doctor yesterday. Hubby is authorized to gradually increase weight bearing on the broken leg as tolerated and go to one crutch. He says he doesn't have pain when he walks on it.

Oh, and the doc says he can start to drive as he feels comfortable with it.

Looks like we are through the worst of it. Thanks everyone, for your kind support and suggestions to help us through this situation.

Taking Care of the Care Giver

Now that you appear to be nearer to the end of the challenge than to the beginning I thought you might be ready for another bit of advice on taking care of you instead of the patient..............

Attachments

• CafeMochaVodkaValiumLatte.jpg
    CafeMochaVodkaValiumLatte.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 65
Update. Saw the doctor yesterday. Hubby is authorized to gradually increase weight bearing on the broken leg as tolerated and go to one crutch. He says he doesn't have pain when he walks on it.

Oh, and the doc says he can start to drive as he feels comfortable with it.

Looks like we are through the worst of it. Thanks everyone, for your kind support and suggestions to help us through this situation.

Now that he is almost up an starting to get around again. May I suggest that he starts working out in a pool? I joined a exercise class at our local APEX center (indoor pool,weight room etc) several weeks ago working out in the water and it has done wonders for this hip replacement and back injury sustained on way to rally last summer. I can just get my leg over a RT at the dealer now but they won't let me test ride yet!

Jack

I guess a status update is due. Jan rode the stationary bike to maintain range of motion and to generally avoid losing muscle mass as the leg healed. This week, he has begun some short (10 minute) walks on the treadmill. The first one made his leg sore, but he has kept it up and this exercise has improved his gait significantly. He took his first motorcycle ride since the fracture MLK week-end in Death Valley N.P. We trailered the bikes down (last year it was really (13F!) cold leaving and returning to/from SLC on the bikes).

It looks like he will be just fine for riding season. So, all is good. Thanks again everybody, for your suggestions and tips they were much appreciated. :wave

Now that you appear to be nearer to the end of the challenge than to the beginning I thought you might be ready for another bit of advice on taking care of you instead of the patient..............

Thanks for that one. It now hangs on my computer. Every consultant's day should start with this! - Bob

Back