• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Center stand hang up

F

Funduro

I have a 98 RTP with a center stand that does not retract all the way when rocked off the stand. I just replaced the springs with new ones and it still does not retract all the way. With the springs removed the stand seems to swing freely with no binding. I don't see a grease fitting so I oiled the pivot points and there was some improvement but not much. Is this a common problem with RT stands or is there a simple fix?

If you have the springs removed, you might as well take the centerstand off, clean and lubricate the pivot bearing surfaces, o-rings etc. and remount it.
The springs are the hardest part to get back on - I usually have the best luck with using a long screwdriver for leverage. Watch out if the spring slips - wear safety goggles and gloves to protect yourself.

If you have the springs removed, you might as well take the centerstand off, clean and lubricate the pivot bearing surfaces, o-rings etc. and remount it.
The springs are the hardest part to get back on - I usually have the best luck with using a long screwdriver for leverage. Watch out if the spring slips - wear safety goggles and gloves to protect yourself.

Haven't done this myself, but have seen pictures where people insert washers or coins between spring coils when the spring is extended (stand down) and then put bike on center stand. That frees up the spring which is locked in extended position.

on my RT the centerstand retracts slowly. I had it off and cleaned and lubed everything. it will go up about halfway, then a few seconds later go up all the way. I suppose the springs get weak over time. I also use a long flat head screwdriver to reinstall the springs.

I have just learned to pull it the rest of the way up with my left toe. It's habit, don't even think about it anymore.

I used a little WD-40 on my GS when this started 2 seconds and problem solved. Also works on stiff pet-cocks on my 1970/5 and for cleaning tar off the GS muffler. Miracle cure? maybe

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I used a little WD-40 on my GS when this started 2 seconds and problem solved. Also works on stiff pet-cocks on my 1970/5 and for cleaning tar off the GS muffler. Miracle cure? maybe

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

now if you had some Duct Tape you could fix anything. :D

Thanks for all the good tips. Today I sprayed it with WD-40 and it seems to have done the trick. I only tested it about three times but it retracted all the way each time. I will have to see how long it lasts before it needs another treatment. :clap

For reference, the stand seems to swing easily with the springs off because the springs are not pulling it tight against one side of the pivot pin. WD 40 works, mostly to clean the grit out and partly to lubricate. If there is dried up cruddy grease captured, the WD40 softens and dilutes it. Heavy oil is a better long term solution and grease is what BMW would say you should use - after a thorough cleaning of course.

I ended up drilling 2 x 1/16" holes 180 degrees apart on each pivot side (after disassembling and cleaning) and use a pin grease gun to lube every time I lube the side stand (per BMW service interval)
No problem ever since :D

Center Stand

I bought my R1100RT new in June 1999, it's always had a slow retracting centerstand, it's just become second nature for me to check it before I ride off.

It's been this way since new....

I bought my R1100RT new in June 1999, it's always had a slow retracting centerstand, it's just become second nature for me to check it before I ride off.

It's been this way since new....

BMW probably didn't grease it very well at the factory. :) Been known to happen.

It is not inherent in the stand however, and removing it once and applying a good grease will probably cure it for a few years. You don't need extreme pressure grease, or moly, or anything fancy. My preference would be some synthetic brake caliper grease I have which resists heat (that nearby cat con) and wash off.

On my '96 R850R, the centerstand will stay put if pushed to the ground with the bike level. When coming off the centerstand, it will retract all the way if I am on the bike, but not if I am not. This is because my weight pushes the bike lower, and the stand gets pushed closer to its retracted position, and the spring takes over. The centerstand is moving quite freely in its pivot.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a feature, not a bug. I test rode an R1100R today, and the centerstand popped right back up when I pushed it to the ground. Since the nub you initially push it to the ground with is not the one you use to pull it up onto the stand, this was a bit of a problem.

I think the centerstand will tend to stay with the feet contacting the ground if the bike is upright but unloaded because that's about where the spring is balanced between pulling forward and down, and pulling up and retracted. I think that this is a good feature. It allows me to push the stand down, have it stay there, and then put my foot on the extension that raises the bike up.

On my '96 R850R, the centerstand will stay put if pushed to the ground with the bike level. When coming off the centerstand, it will retract all the way if I am on the bike, but not if I am not. This is because my weight pushes the bike lower, and the stand gets pushed closer to its retracted position, and the spring takes over. The centerstand is moving quite freely in its pivot.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a feature, not a bug. I test rode an R1100R today, and the centerstand popped right back up when I pushed it to the ground. Since the nub you initially push it to the ground with is not the one you use to pull it up onto the stand, this was a bit of a problem.

I think the centerstand will tend to stay with the feet contacting the ground if the bike is upright but unloaded because that's about where the spring is balanced between pulling forward and down, and pulling up and retracted. I think that this is a good feature. It allows me to push the stand down, have it stay there, and then put my foot on the extension that raises the bike up.
Very good point... I had forgotten that feature.

RTP center stand very hard to move

I was trying to remove the center stand from my 2002 RT to clean and re lubricate.
.But my question is : Is that side stand and the center stand all ONE PIECE ?
I need a way to hold the bike up if I go any further.

I was trying to remove the center stand from my 2002 RT to clean and re lubricate.
.But my question is : Is that side stand and the center stand all ONE PIECE ?
I need a way to hold the bike up if I go any further.

Park bike on the side stand and the centerstand can be removed.

I documented a mod a few years ago that will allow you to lube as a regular maintenance item (like the sidestand lube hole)

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?57972-Oilhead-Centerstand-Lube-Mod

Back