Thread: Paint Match??

awshucks

Paint Match??

circa 1980 black. Seems like all the black ones look the same, but have read oem paint no longer available?

Any tips on matching it? Or is black just black?

Thanks!

Glasurit is the OEM paint for most of the airheads (I believe!) and it is still available through a select paint shops around the country. On their website you can choose the make/model of your vehicle and it will give you the paint code. Heres a direct link to the page : http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-co...php?language=1 I found the OEM paint code for my 1973 toaster and I also found a paint shop in my area that works with glasurit paint and can whip up the paint when needed. I believe there is a link on glasurit.com that lists the paint shops that carry their paint... but dont quote me on it haha. hope this helps!!!

-Vince
    Vince Debes

You could also check with Holt BMW in Athens, Ohio. He's one of the premier painters using the Glasurit paints.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Yarddog
    Black is black...period...you have tons of choices in terms of the brands and methods of coating black, but at the end of the day...it's still black...Glasurit is some of the very finest paint out there...but I've had spectacular results with PPG products...So is Glasurit worth the price? Maybe...

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    Black is black...period...you have tons of choices in terms of the brands and methods of coating black, but at the end of the day...it's still black......
    There are over 200 different hues of black. If you are just painting a fender or some other standalone part it may not matter to you much, but if you are trying to repaint a fairing part of feather in something, black ain't black. I'm going through that right now getting an RT fairing to match my stock Schwarz black R100.

Quote Originally Posted by awshucks View Post
    circa 1980 black..
    My local dealer (Bob's) helped me find the color code for my bike (Shwartz black).
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Quote Originally Posted by AnnapolisAirhead View Post
    My local dealer (Bob's) helped me find the color code for my bike (Shwartz black).
    Shwartz is the German word for black, and the name of the color is not black black.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Shwartz is the German word for black, and the name of the color is not black black.
    No wonder the waitress looked at me funny when I asked about salsa sauce.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Yarddog
    Don't think it's the hue of the black that's different, AA...I think it's the way it's presented! Like I say, single stage is gonna look different than two stage, and on and on...the better systems are gonna be shinier and more even, there's more of a probability of orange peel with the cheaper systems, and they won't color sand and buff as well...but I've never really been able to tell the difference between any hue of black, personally...some paint jobs simply look better because of the quality of the materials...but I kinda think we're talkin' about the same thing!!! And as you point out, on an motorcycle, there's enough of a separation between the parts that it doesn't make a tremendous difference...

Now, all of that goes out the door for pearl black, metallic black...and so on... in that case, there IS a HUGE difference in black...

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    Don't think it's the hue of the black that's different, AA...I think it's the way it's presented! Like I say, single stage is gonna look different than two stage, and on and on...the better systems are gonna be shinier and more even, there's more of a probability of orange peel with the cheaper systems, and they won't color sand and buff as well...but I've never really been able to tell the difference between any hue of black, personally...some paint jobs simply look better because of the quality of the materials...but I kinda think we're talkin' about the same thing!!! And as you point out, on an motorcycle, there's enough of a separation between the parts that it doesn't make a tremendous difference...

Now, all of that goes out the door for pearl black, metallic black...and so on... in that case, there IS a HUGE difference in black...
    At one time,back in my younger body shop working days, black was black. You bought the same black regardless of what kind of vehicle you were painting. No more. Now, black can be very different shades depending on what it is on.

Another thing that makes matching a problem is the different shades of the same color. When you put the paint code into the computer, the paint formula may have several variations of the same color. It may only be a couple or as many as 10 or 12. The different shades of paint is because different suppliers may supply the paint or different batches of paint can vary. You just make your best guess, try it and maybe try again. I think there would be fewer variables if the companies held the suppliers to a stricter standard. I guess they don't because of the price.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.