• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HELP~ VIN location on 1996 R1100RSL

S

stwilliams

So....long story short. Bought a 1996 R1100RSL from my buddy. Go to DMV in Calif. this morning to title and register it.

The bike was previously registered in NY, so they needed to "verify" it. Me and the DMV guy start looking for the VIN and can't find it. I pull the side fairing panels off and everything. I located the engine number on the right side of motor, but no VIN.

I call local BMW dealer, no help. Call my buddy who thinks there should be a sticker on the right side frame member going from steering head tube to motor, but I see no sticker.

Look in the service manual and owners manual that came with the bike, no mention of VIN.

So can anyone let me know 1) where should the VIN sticker be on this particular model. 2) if the VIN sticker is gone, is the number also stamped in the frame or somewhere else on the bike.

Saving grace is I got a temporary registration, so at least I can ride to the BMW Lake San Antonio campout in central California this coming weekend.

Any help appreciated.

Scott

It is on the sticker on the right side of the main frame just aft of the steering head. Look down past the brake lever to the spot just below the front of the fuel tank.

The number starts with the printed WB1 and the remaining digits are comprised of the little holes punched in the sticker - the bottom row on the sticker.

Hi Scott:

Just looked at my 1996 RS. The VIN sticker and stamp is on the right side. Hang on we'll need a picture.

3984204295_ed63f4e1b9.jpg

The number is stamped into the frame piece as well. Maybe your tank is hiding it a bit more than mine.

Mike

This is very odd. There is definitely no sticker at this location on my bike. I've known the owner for 13 years. He bought the bike in 1999 from BMW of Westchester in New York. So I know there is nothing fishy with the bike. Not sure what happened to the sticker.

Still havent found the location where the number is stamped or engraved in the frame. Any leads on that?

This is very odd. There is definitely no sticker at this location on my bike. I've known the owner for 13 years. He bought the bike in 1999 from BMW of Westchester in New York. So I know there is nothing fishy with the bike. Not sure what happened to the sticker.

Still havent found the location where the number is stamped or engraved in the frame. Any leads on that?

Scott I pmed you There is a stamped frame # just above where the sticker is located. It is possible the sticker is missing. The sticker is hard to read and so is the stamped #. Shine a bright light on it. Both numbers are the same as I recall. If you look closely at Mottorad Mike's photo you can see the stamped number just above the VIN plate. If you have a hard time reading it, you may be able to take a yellow Crayon and rub the numbers to gain visibility.
James

Well...there is definately no VIN sticker and no engraved or stamped VIN at the location where the above picture in this post indicates. Furthermore I slid the tank back to fully expose the area and can conidantly say the numbers are not files or worn away. The frame paint is intact and the factory rough cast type texture is still there. I'm beginning to think this is a replacement frame.

Does BMW keep info on this. Meaning if it was replaced at a dealership, would a dealer be able to investigate this?

Does anyone with California DMV know what happens in this situation where there in no verifiable VIN on the bike?

Back