• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'08 K12S Electrical Problems

G

GREGFUESS

Interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced this, or anyone with recommendations on resolution of these.

I purchased this bike new 12 months ago, and it has performed wonderfully except... The front headlight has never been bright, people would comment on it, asking how I had turned the headlight off, etc.

So at a few service intervals this was mentioned, some "adjustments" made, but no changes. The the dash lit up indicating a LAMPF and I was told it was the LED turn indicators causing it, not to worry. About 2k miles later, the front light went out.

About 500 miles ago, the battery went dead with 19k miles and 1 day short of a year old. BMW took care of that, but is this indicative of more problems?

Thirdly, an air pump was plugged into the accessory port, and the port was not working.

Experiences, thoughts or recommendations?
'
Greg

There have been instances of weak batterys not just on the GT but RT.

Can't speak to the other points but regarding the accesory socket - it is current limited to 8 amps(on my 09 GT) yours should be in that ball park.

If the bike computer senses more than that current draw it shuts off the socket.

For that reason I added a secondary socket connected to my centech fuse panel to allow 15a to flow as my on board compresser takes between 10 - 12 amps when in use.

Interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced this, or anyone with recommendations on resolution of these.

I purchased this bike new 12 months ago, and it has performed wonderfully except... The front headlight has never been bright, people would comment on it, asking how I had turned the headlight off, etc.

So at a few service intervals this was mentioned, some "adjustments" made, but no changes. The the dash lit up indicating a LAMPF and I was told it was the LED turn indicators causing it, not to worry. About 2k miles later, the front light went out.

About 500 miles ago, the battery went dead with 19k miles and 1 day short of a year old. BMW took care of that, but is this indicative of more problems?

Thirdly, an air pump was plugged into the accessory port, and the port was not working.

Experiences, thoughts or recommendations?
'
Greg

First of all, did you replace the H7 bulb? My '08 bulb lasted about a year. Also the headlight is very directional. From the factory, I had to raise my headlight adj quite a lot. There is also a sideways adj, but that was ok in my case.
How're the brights?

I haven't replaced the bulb yet, but had previously purchased an HID that I was toying with installing, but haven't had the time or sufficient motivation. Now I do, but am considering letting the dealer install it if they will, considering they did not buy it.

The brights seem fine, I have noticed no problems, and received no comments on them, so assume they are doing the job.

Back