• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Motorsport

A couple of oddities about your RS.

I already posted about your serial number being lower than any other Motorsport in the registry.

I see it has a kick starter. I was under the impression that only Euro bikes had that 'accessory' (not that it does much good trying to start a liter bike) - or was the kick starter a regular option for all /7-based bikes?

The seat appears to be black. Not real unusual to be recovered or replaced after all these years (my Corbin is black), but the original was blue. Do you still have it?

I have seen Motorsports with both black and white side covers, so nothing remarkable there. Do you have the side bags? If so, what color are they? Again, I have seen both black and white, more white ones on Euro bikes.

P.S.: I'd really get a spare set of black valve covers or paint the ones you have black. I'd do the same with the non-stock windshield, so the bike can be seen very near its original design with only an hour's work to swap them. Then, one day, we gotta get a handful of these things together. :thumb

Are the Motorsports cosmetic variants only, or are there functional differences vs any other RS? I had a '92 R100RS Rennsport Edition and I'm also unclear as to whether this was a cosmetic-only variation.

Are the Motorsports cosmetic variants only, or are there functional differences vs any other RS? I had a '92 R100RS Rennsport Edition and I'm also unclear as to whether this was a cosmetic-only variation.

The Motorsports are cosmetic - mechanically same as other 1978 RS's.

Thanks. So basically there were no performance editions, just visual versions. Aside from the Euro vs. US differences.

Besides the windshield, sissy bar, Brown sidestand, unpainted valve covers, the other visually disturbing thing is the nonstandard rear shocks. Even some IKONs would look better, as their forte is function rather than chrome.

On my list of things to do are change the valve covers and the windscreen.Then the side covers.Paint them black and put 1000cc decals on them. The BMW brochure shows the side covers black with the orange decals. I have Krausers ,they are black. I'm also getting rid of that Brown's side stand and putting a stock one on.I have no problem with the stock sidestands.The previous owner had a small square piece of steel welded to that brown's standto make it more stable I guess. I'll do the shocks last as I'll have the bags on most of the time.Yes the seat is black and I have an nos grab rail to put on in place of that backrest. The stock grab rail is the grabrail only without the rack that covers the tail section.
The seat is black,even in the brochure the seat in the picture looks black.What i do have is one of those BMW vinyl tank covers.It's blue,never seen a blue one before.
I've also posted to the VIN post if anyone is interested.

Yes the seat is black and I have an nos grab rail to put on in place of that backrest. The stock grab rail is the grab rail only without the rack that covers the tail section.
I dunno. I think mine is the original piece and it has a very abbreviated rack over the cowl's badge. Or maybe all the grab rails were options. I'm sure Chris will let us know.
The seat is black,even in the brochure the seat in the picture looks black.
The one in the brochure may have been black, or it may have been poor color reproduction. If you read the brochure, it specifically mentions the seat color as a feature. It is a very dark blue that is difficult to see in photos. If you click on my link, you can see a bigger version of my avatar where the original seat does look blue. In person, it's unmistakable.
What i do have is one of those BMW vinyl tank covers.It's blue,never seen a blue one before.
What the hell? Go for it! :thumb

Not sure about the rest of the non-standard stuff, but the Brown sidestand is so much an improvement that I wouldn't even consider removing it. No BMW I've ever owned (24 or 25 so far) has ever been box-stock for long, because there are certain things the aftermarket does better than the compromises any manufacturer puts on their bikes.

But my bikes are riders, not show bikes. I did win "dirtiest bike" once at a Long Distance Rider's ride-to-eat - but that was walk-around judging without owner's knowledge.

Nice bike. I always liked the R100RS and especially the Motor Sports.

I didnÔÇÖt realize that posting a picture of your bike in the airhead section set off a 100 point Concours ÔÇÿde Elegance Judging, cool!. Is there an awards ceremony at the end of the year? Will there be a gallery of the finalists? Are there classes? If so what are they? I take it from the comments in some of the posts lkchris is not an official judge; to bad. His pithy comments can be a bit sardonic even for my tastes but they normally are razor sharp and full of information making them more often than not worth the read and taking the time to get the point. So how is the final judging done?

Again ÔÇô Nice Bike. :thumb.

The thing I like most about this forum is I can show a picture of my bike and talk about it. Where I live,not a lot of fans/riders/owners of airheads or older bikes for that matter.Here, everyone thinks they have to have a Harley.I have nothing against Harleys,I used to own one. I just like BMW's more. So this is like showing off my newly acquired bike to my friends I guess. Too bad we couldn't be out in the garage looking at it and having a beer.

The thing I like most about this forum is I can show a picture of my bike and talk about it. Where I live,not a lot of fans/riders/owners of airheads or older bikes for that matter.Here, everyone thinks they have to have a Harley.I have nothing against Harleys,I used to own one. I just like BMW's more. So this is like showing off my newly acquired bike to my friends I guess. Too bad we couldn't be out in the garage looking at it and having a beer.

I'll go out in the garage and look at mine if you'll send me the beer ... :drink

Hey, George...I got the best of both worlds, cuz I have both a Harley and a Beemer! This is my first BMW, and my GF prefers it because it's more comfortable. For me, they each have their own separate roles...apples and oranges...

Motorsport equipment

I was looking at that RS when you bought it. It was from CT wasn't it? I ended up buying one the next day in Minnesota that had been owned since new by two men in one family. Father/son This bike has not been altraed in any way that I can see. It has the blue seat, white side covers and black valve covers. I know of someone that modified his Motorsport with 40mm exhaust, but I think that is the only one I have heard of that had them.

I am going to try to show my bike in a photo.

Attachments

• Motorsport 3-1.jpg
    Motorsport 3-1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 183
Back