• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Back on an Oiler!

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
Well, after a brief flirtation with an Airhead, I am back on an Oilhead. Found a buyer for the R100RT and I picked up a 1997 R1100RA with less than 14,000 miles on it. Still planning on getting another full fairing bike when the finances shake out but in the mean time, I am digging this roadster. I had forgotten how light and easy to ride they are. It will probably be a keeper alongside the Full fairing bike when I get it.

Now the personalization starts. I am thinking Parabellum Scout Fairng, Russell seat, Cylinder head guards and a set of Ohlins. Any thoughts from other roadster owners out there?

Attachments

• R1100R.jpg
    R1100R.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 319
Nice!

I have the Parabellum Scout fairing on my '96 R1100R, and I love it. Not great on the highway due to the blast of air over the windshield, but I have the shorter shield. I could get a taller one, but I don't think the fairing looks as good with it, and I ride 99% in the city anyway, so it's form over function for me on this.

I don't have any of the other items you listed, but I want them all.

Jeff

I think that Scout fairing looks great on the Roadster. I guess you're going to have a good time with this bike!

Well, after a brief flirtation with an Airhead, I am back on an Oilhead. Found a buyer for the R100RT and I picked up a 1997 R1100RA with less than 14,000 miles on it. Still planning on getting another full fairing bike when the finances shake out but in the mean time, I am digging this roadster. I had forgotten how light and easy to ride they are. It will probably be a keeper alongside the Full fairing bike when I get it.

Now the personalization starts. I am thinking Parabellum Scout Fairng, Russell seat, Cylinder head guards and a set of Ohlins. Any thoughts from other roadster owners out there?

+1 on the Russell seat. it will probably be the best money you will spend on this bike.

Airheads are wonderful bikes. My '78 RS is my daily rider, but it does not see as much mileage each year as my oilhead. I usually choose the oiler for long distance rides. They are hard to beat! Nice bike.

Naked Bikes

Beautiful bike. I don't know about the full fairing bike though. I like my bikes like my women, (fill in blank here)!:)

That's a beauty! If I had it all to do over I would have looked for an R1100 instead of buying a new '04RT with the servo brakes and umpteen screws to remove all the plastic.

That's a beauty! If I had it all to do over I would have looked for an R1100 instead of buying a new '04RT with the servo brakes and umpteen screws to remove all the plastic.

Plus, you can install a Hannigan. I may go this route next time.

I have done the move from Airheads back to Oilheads as well. Sold my G/SPD, and now have a 2002 R1150R. Had one before, but regreted selling it.

The new one has 2 screens with it. A short one, and a tall one. Havent ridden it yet(only picked it up yesterday, no rego), so cant comment on what screen is best.

Also has full Staintune exhaust.

Your R1100R looks great. Enjoy it.

My prediction:

1100's will be the /5's of the "new" era. Looks; just enough technology; you CAN in fact work on them; and features/$.

Your R is a beautiful naked bike--don't do TOO much to it!

I had the first real shake out run this weekend. About 310 miles with my wife and I up into MA and overnight. There are a few little things I need to do but overall I am pretty happy with it the way it is.

1100's will be the /5's of the "new" era. Looks; just enough technology; you CAN in fact work on them; and features/$.

:beer

I love Airheads; the look, the style, the old school tech & the class that only an older bike possesses.

I've never owned one, but have ridden some and enjoyed them. I've come close to listing a 'will trade' ad in the ON, but something has held me back.

This thread affirms that I'm smart to hang on to my oiler.

And, I have to agree, somehow the 1100 series straddles the gap between what BMW used to be and what is is fast becoming.
:gerg

Yeah, man, beautiful bike you have there. Some GS handguards will do wonders for you. I changed the black plastic shrouds around the oil coolers with silver ones which blended them in much nicer with the engine. Foot peg lowerings made the ride even more comfortable. I also put on some bar risers which put me almost completely verticle. I've found that the stock seat is quite comfortable. Ride on!

Nice scoot dude!! Many happy (s)miles on your new ride!!:thumb

Steve,
Out of curiousity, what didn't you like about the airhead. Not trying to knock your decisions to sell the R100 RT and get the R1100RA--just curious. Any way, looks like a nice ride, so ride the heck out of it.

Good looking bike, but then again, I'm a little biased. Also in SE CT.:thumb

PS I can vouch for the hand guards. They are great in the winter.

Attachments

• 1998 BMW R1100R.jpg
    1998 BMW R1100R.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 21
Back