• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650GS.....no body waves to me

Surf's Up!!...

.... and here's a local rider out looking for waves too!:wave

ScooterSurfinginNovaScotia.jpg

(sorry about the quality but I could only find the newspaper version. This was taken three days ago; and you thought that we're freezin' our ass off this time of year in Nova Scotia!)
- Bob

Thumpers

My wife thinks I have "multiple BMW disorder". The next door neighbor kid asks me " why do you need two bikes?" . The kid asks my wife the same question...Why does Mr. Joe need two bikes? My wife's reply...because that's the way Mr. Joe is! Well, I have two cars ( one old 325 bmw) Two bicycles ( one for the road and one for the dirt). I had to be consistent so I bought number two motorcycle. Why do I need two motorcycles? Why else..I need one for the dirt. The first being a K12GT with mind boggling power and the new (old) one being a F650gs DAKAR. The little sucker only has 50 hp but it is fun as hell! It is more fun than the 152 hp rocket! I bought the thumper used from the same bmw dealer in Denver where I bought the GT ( used as well). I have no problem with Harley riders not waving though. I make it a practice not to wave the them either, at least the morons who don't wear helmets. So much for Harley. Anyway, 650's are a kick in the ass! My bike has an aftermarket exhaust ( staintune) and a Wilber's suspension which I am not sure how to tweak if needed. Who needs all that HP and additional weight anyway? 50 hp is plenty for a light bike and it is agile as hell. I had it on the dirt for the first time last week up in the Colorado mtns and had a blast. I commute with it as well and it got over 70 mpg the last couple of tanks. I recently joined the "chaingang" which you may have heard about. If you haven't you may want to check it out. It is essentially a internet club for 650 owners. Anyway, to make a long story short, 650 gs non-owners don't know what they are missing! Know anything about wilbers suspension?::rocker:rocker

waves

i will certainly wave to u if u go through bear mountain. i will be on a yellow ninja. the only ones that don't r the bmw riders with the broom handle!:wave

Quite frankly, I would be just as happy if the whole waving thing just stopped.

It's just another distraction.

Quite frankly, I would be just as happy if the whole waving thing just stopped.

It's just another distraction.

Oh yeah? Well, when we get to Calgary for the Stampede next summer.... on the way to Redmond.... I'm still gonna :wave at ya! - Bob

ok... where is that NY guy that started all this banter?? Me thinks it really was all just some 'tongue in cheek' stunt to get a bunch o' folks goin'. Wherest thou the NYTRASHMAN? -Bob

ok... where is that NY guy that started all this banter?? Me thinks it really was all just some 'tongue in cheek' stunt to get a bunch o' folks goin'. Wherest thou the NYTRASHMAN? -Bob

Yeah. A wave thread always gets a lot of responses. It is sort of like an oil thread in that regard. I quit biking for a time. Don't recall any wavers; when I got back into it everyone was waving. Took awhile to get used to it and wave back.

Last edited:
Virtually everyone waves back at me, even a cop on a Harley yesterday. It's because
i have Metzler Lazartecs filled with Nitrogen. Try it!

Yeah. A wave thread always gets a lot of responses. It is sort of like an oil thread in that regard.

Maybe nobody's waving at him because he's using the wrong oil.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I have noticed ... no helmet/ no wave. Really , its no big deal if they wave or not. I feel good riding my bike so I wave at other riders. If they don't wave back I don't care.

i will wave at you, even buy you ice cream at dairy queen. harley riders,heck in iowa they dont even wave at each other.
im sure i missed a wave or 2 while focused on the road or lost in my own thoughts, i used to not wave at helmetless riders but then changed my mind thinking that would give them another reason to not wear a helmet. to my knowledge i have convinced 1 helmetless rider to always wear a helmet and other safety gear and he rides a harley:dance:dance

I recently joined the "chaingang" which you may have heard about. If you haven't you may want to check it out. It is essentially a internet club for 650 owners.

i am one of the web site administers on the chain gang.

i have had my F650 for two years and 30,000 + miles. i spent a lot of time & money setting my bike up for long distance touring, in fact i submitted an article to the Owners News about setting the F650 for long distance travel but i am nto sure if it will get published. i rode out to Gillette last year and to Johnson City this year and can't wait to hit the west coast next year. the bike fits me perfectly, is so comfortable i can do 800 + mile days without feeling like i have been mugged by the end of the day. my little F650 may not be the biggest or fastest bike BMW makes but for me it i certainly the best.

i will certainly wave to u if u go through bear mountain

i live right across the river from Bear Mtn., right below Peekskill NY. i ride 7 lakes dr all the time so make sure you wave when you see my little black F650, or better yet flag me down and say hello.

Maybe nobody's waving at him because he's using the wrong oil.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Agree, the wrong oil will not get ya waves. Make sure you've got the right oil in that engine! (Uh, wonder what oil that would be?) And, as Old Hippie says the use of nitrogen in yer tires will get you waves! Boy, is this waving thing a lot of work!

but does he wave to F650 riders is the question?

Always. In fact both Mary and I, as possible, 'wave'. But maybe wave is a bit too nebulous a term. We acknowledge one way or another.... sometimes a nod as appropriate. Never EVER do this:wave (that's not meant to be a "how to" hijack) - Bob

Here is why you don't get any waves.

The Brotherhood of the Road by Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?"

Nuff Said.

Hehe, Nice exposure of how silly the wave debate can be. Gotta love some hyperbole. Wave if you feel like it and don't take it personal if they don't wave back.... I don't ride for the waves, but rather the pleasure of the ride.

Back